Community Forum

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

jkozlow3 wrote:

lztf37 wrote:

I once again revisted all the settings.  I agree that when its on stereo its a bit more stable.  But on stereo my 5.1 surround system sounds like 2.1. There is no depth to the audio.  In the Stereo setting on the set top box the sound levels between channels are consistent and there is no audio dropout. 

I switched it to Surround sound over HDMI again. I have to increase the volume by 25% or more to hear it.  I can understand if with Surround Sound the higher volume number is going to be the new normal.  However, the volume levels between stations and even between programs is all over the place.  As I'm changing between channels and shows I'll have to adjust the volume 15-20% up or down to have it in a good listening range.   I calibrate the audio on an HD Premium station such as HBO and its fine.  Change it to Cinemax and I have to reduce the volume 20% or increase it 20%.  Change it to an HD network station such as ABC and I have to increase it 25% to hear it.    The dialog out of the center speaker varies wildly between channels.  Some channels I have to raise the volume very loud to hear the dialog clearly.  Others I can keep it quite low and hear the dialog fine.   I've played with the center channel and dialog settings on the receiver and you can never get it right.  Even if you get it right for one channel it is not right for the next.   The problem is with the inconsistency in audio volume, clarity and distribution between the speakers and between channels.   Almost every time I change the station or even move from one program to another I have to make signficant audio adjustments.   I never, ever, had this problem witht the legacy box or any other cable box I have ever used.  I haven't had it set to surround sound long enough to notice audio drops.  I'll leave it in surround sound for a few days and see.  

As I mentioned in a previouis post I have one of the small satellite boxes in another room connected to the exact same receiver and model and the audio quality on that unit is fine. I have even duplicated the settings between the two and I can tell you the X1 exhibits different behavior.  My receiver recognizes when the signal change between types (Dobly Digital, PL II C) and while the small satellite box will change the X1 stays on Dolby Digital almost all the time, or Stereo.  The same station with the same program at the same time will broadcast PLII C on the small box and Dolby Digital on the X1 set top box. 

I have no doubt someone can come into a home and adjust the audio just right on a given station and program. It may even sound fine on a few other channels and programs.   I have many doubts that the setting will result in a consistent experience for very long and between channels and stations.  The customer is then left with the impression that it must be them and they have to live with it.  That's the best it will be.   Well know it's not me and I know it can be better.  It has been better and its better on the little box that accompanies the X1.

I agree with your post 100%.  Outputting surround from the X1 is complete trash at this point.  The volume levels fluctuate DRASTICALLY when using surround - I constantly have to reach for the remote to adjust the volume on my AVR.  I don't have to do this when outputting stereo - the volume levels are much more consistent.  This extreme volume fluctuation is even worse than the audio dropouts IMO.  Not to mention the lip-sync issues when outputting surround (which also do not exist when oututting stereo).  These issues have all gotten worse over time as Comcast has attempted to "fix" the surround issues.  1 step forward, 2 steps back.  Like you, I had no issues when using the legacy DVR box.

At this point, outputting stereo is the only usable option in my opinion (especially if you can enable Dolby PLII in your AVR and have simulated surround).  No, I don't like it, but it's a lot better than the alternative.  Surround on the X1 is currently completely unusable to me.

Strange.  I only have one a/v receiver that outputs 5.1 surround from my X1 Pace DVR.  And I have NEVER had to adjust the sound.  I DO agree that X1 surround is lacking.  I get a better experience with my BD player.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

Just because your TV has only two speakers has nothing to do with what it will output on digital audio jack. Trust me, it will produce 5.1 audio.
Silver Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:
You connect the TOSLINK digital audio output on the TV to a TOSLINK input on the receiver. This connection is capable of carrying 5.1 audio.

Obviously the antenna is connected to the TV.

Ah.  I read this AFTER I posted my previous reply.  My Samsung does have an optical and an audio out port. 

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

"I had none of these issues with my legacy box and neither did many of the other people who have posted in this thread.  We pay good money for our Comcast service and the fact that Comcast cannot seem to get the audio to work properly on the X1 boxes is pretty frustrating.  Many of us (myself included) have swapped X1 boxes and had technicians out to our homes to check the signal and none of this has helped whatsoever."

100% correct. Comcast and its cheerleaders they pay in here say its your equipment but yet "your" equipment worked flawlessly on the Legacy box.

Comcast needs to fix the audio in their x1 box...period.

Silver Problem Solver

16craig wrote:

"I had none of these issues with my legacy box and neither did many of the other people who have posted in this thread.  We pay good money for our Comcast service and the fact that Comcast cannot seem to get the audio to work properly on the X1 boxes is pretty frustrating.  Many of us (myself included) have swapped X1 boxes and had technicians out to our homes to check the signal and none of this has helped whatsoever."

100% correct. Comcast and its cheerleaders they pay in here say its your equipment but yet "your" equipment worked flawlessly on the Legacy box.

Comcast needs to fix the audio in their x1 box...period.

Sorry, the only paid cheerleaders in this forum are Comcast emplyees with a RED username.

Contributor

Sorry, the only paid cheerleaders in this forum are Comcast emplyees with a RED username.

______
Robert, an X1 System user
Google is your friend

Who said with cash? ...with the latest equipment which I was told by a cheerleader.

Funny you picked that out of my post but ignore the fact that the Legacy box didn't have the problems X1 has...

...and what happened to the awesome slo-mo the Legacy box had and X1 does not???

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

jkozlow3 wrote:

lztf37 wrote:

I once again revisted all the settings.  I agree that when its on stereo its a bit more stable.  But on stereo my 5.1 surround system sounds like 2.1. There is no depth to the audio.  In the Stereo setting on the set top box the sound levels between channels are consistent and there is no audio dropout. 

I switched it to Surround sound over HDMI again. I have to increase the volume by 25% or more to hear it.  I can understand if with Surround Sound the higher volume number is going to be the new normal.  However, the volume levels between stations and even between programs is all over the place.  As I'm changing between channels and shows I'll have to adjust the volume 15-20% up or down to have it in a good listening range.   I calibrate the audio on an HD Premium station such as HBO and its fine.  Change it to Cinemax and I have to reduce the volume 20% or increase it 20%.  Change it to an HD network station such as ABC and I have to increase it 25% to hear it.    The dialog out of the center speaker varies wildly between channels.  Some channels I have to raise the volume very loud to hear the dialog clearly.  Others I can keep it quite low and hear the dialog fine.   I've played with the center channel and dialog settings on the receiver and you can never get it right.  Even if you get it right for one channel it is not right for the next.   The problem is with the inconsistency in audio volume, clarity and distribution between the speakers and between channels.   Almost every time I change the station or even move from one program to another I have to make signficant audio adjustments.   I never, ever, had this problem witht the legacy box or any other cable box I have ever used.  I haven't had it set to surround sound long enough to notice audio drops.  I'll leave it in surround sound for a few days and see.  

As I mentioned in a previouis post I have one of the small satellite boxes in another room connected to the exact same receiver and model and the audio quality on that unit is fine. I have even duplicated the settings between the two and I can tell you the X1 exhibits different behavior.  My receiver recognizes when the signal change between types (Dobly Digital, PL II C) and while the small satellite box will change the X1 stays on Dolby Digital almost all the time, or Stereo.  The same station with the same program at the same time will broadcast PLII C on the small box and Dolby Digital on the X1 set top box. 

I have no doubt someone can come into a home and adjust the audio just right on a given station and program. It may even sound fine on a few other channels and programs.   I have many doubts that the setting will result in a consistent experience for very long and between channels and stations.  The customer is then left with the impression that it must be them and they have to live with it.  That's the best it will be.   Well know it's not me and I know it can be better.  It has been better and its better on the little box that accompanies the X1.

I agree with your post 100%.  Outputting surround from the X1 is complete trash at this point.  The volume levels fluctuate DRASTICALLY when using surround - I constantly have to reach for the remote to adjust the volume on my AVR.  I don't have to do this when outputting stereo - the volume levels are much more consistent.  This extreme volume fluctuation is even worse than the audio dropouts IMO.  Not to mention the lip-sync issues when outputting surround (which also do not exist when oututting stereo).  These issues have all gotten worse over time as Comcast has attempted to "fix" the surround issues.  1 step forward, 2 steps back.  Like you, I had no issues when using the legacy DVR box.

At this point, outputting stereo is the only usable option in my opinion (especially if you can enable Dolby PLII in your AVR and have simulated surround).  No, I don't like it, but it's a lot better than the alternative.  Surround on the X1 is currently completely unusable to me.

Strange.  I only have one a/v receiver that outputs 5.1 surround from my X1 Pace DVR.  And I have NEVER had to adjust the sound.  I DO agree that X1 surround is lacking.  I get a better experience with my BD player.

I have the Arris X1 V3 (it seems this is all they use now, as no one has been able to supply me with a Pace box to try).  

When outputting surround the volume is often much quieter than when outputting stereo.  Dialogue is more difficult to hear at times (probably because the surround mix is really messed up on these boxes).  Volume fluctuates more from channel to channel and especially when commercials are played.  I find myself reaching for the remote to adjust the volume on my AVR far more than I would like to.  I used to use Audyssey Dynamic Volume on my Denon AVR (set to day/light) to help stabilize the volume fluctuations and this worked pretty well until the audio dropouts got worse.  Dynamic Volume makes the audio dropouts seem much worse however.  Dynamic Volume "reads ahead" a little to help stabilize the volume fluctuations.  When the audio stream contains an error (a dropout), this really messes up the audio playback however.  So it's best to turn Dynamic Volume off.  The audio dropouts are less noticeable/annoying this way.

When outputting stereo over the past couple of weeks, I have none of these issues.  None.  Not to mention that the lip-sync is perfect when outputting stereo and is very noticeably off when outputting surround (toggle back and forth between surround and stereo and it is pretty obvious on a lot of programming).

Not to sound like a broken record, but many of us had NO audio issues with the legacy box.  

Comcast, why can't you just program the X1 boxes to output audio like the legacy boxes did????????

Frequent Visitor

My Receiver was purchased new in 2015 - Denon AVR-S900W 7.2 Channel Network receiver.  The X1 box, XG1-A, was acquired about 6 months ago from Comcast.  Firmware on the X1 is AX013AN_2.5p9s1_PROD_sey.  The TV is a sharp Aquos. It's the oldest component of the system - LC-52D92U (but it it still has a great picture). The sound from the TV is configured as off. The speakers are a Polk Audio 5.1 system.

The setup is pretty straightforward - the current setup is cable line to X1, HDMI from X1 to AVR, HDMI from AVR to TV.   The AVR has HDMI passthru off.  The HDMI configuration is currently configured to pass the audio on the HDMI.  The X1 audio is set to surround.

I did have the Optical Cable connected to the reciever and the receiver configured to receive audio on the Opti interface.  That sound wasn't much better and the audio behaved about the same.  Surround Sound with the Optical Cable was very poor, very low. To get reasonable audio quality I had the X1 Audio setup to Stereo when using the optical cable.  Having the X1 set to Stereo using the optical cable did seem to provide surround sound for a few premium channels but it seemed very faint with most of the sound still coming from the center and front right and left.  I've read some comments which seem to imply that even though the X1 is set to Stereo it is actually sending a surround sound (5.1) signal on the optical cable.  I had hoped that this was true but it doesn't seem like it's a very good 5.1 signal.

I've used the Audyssey calibration on the AVR audio.  I've also performed manual calibration to see if I could tweak it to a more compatible setting for the X1.  It's in a family room which is a good size space but not huge. 

In the past I had also changed HDMI cables multiple times to see if it made any difference.  It didn't.

For a basic home theater setup with AVR and Surround Sound speakers what would you recommend for the X1 setting and cable configuraition (HDMI or Opti)?

Gold Problem Solver

I have a brand new, top of the line Marantz AVR.

Personally I think the Audessey group of features work wonders and I use them constantly.
Contributor

I run my audio through my inexpensive AVR (Sony). I have Comcast box set for Surround Sound and I was quite happy with everything .... until the latest 10/2016 upgrade.

1) I noticed that I had to set  the volume on my tuner up to a higher level to get reasonable sound (ie. Xfinity was putting out lower volume).

2) I noticed that I was not getting surround sound from my 5.1 speakers. After a while I noticed that if you press down (sort of cursor down) on the remote, you get playback options.On the left is a choice for Video Description and another for SAP. If I turned Video Description on, I got full surround sound; if off, no surround sound. Also tuner shows <<LFE>> with Video Description off, and does not show it with Video Description on. Problem solved? Not quite ...

On some programs, when Video Description is ON, audio is in Spanish. Other programs there is no change. In any case, the SAP selection is always on/off along with Video Description. Other issue is that if you turn on Video Description, is seems to be reset when you change programs.

Again, all was fine before the recent firmware upgrade. Fix one thing, break 2 others.

Silver Problem Solver

FYI, I have noticed several 10/2016 updates to both the software and firmware.

XRE is now at 1.68.06 10/31/2016 and STB is at 22 Oct 2016. 

Expert

RobertWy wrote:

FYI, I have noticed several 10/2016 updates to both the software and firmware.

XRE is now at 1.68.06 10/31/2016 and STB is at 22 Oct 2016. 

my 3 dvr's and single xg2 are on firmware 2.5p11s4 10/25 and appeared morning of 11/5. the only thing i've seen different is the beta on netflix in comcast labs has no ability to turn off (it is on on this box) or on for any other box in the home.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

nalaniplow wrote:

I run my audio through my inexpensive AVR (Sony). I have Comcast box set for Surround Sound and I was quite happy with everything .... until the latest 10/2016 upgrade.

1) I noticed that I had to set  the volume on my tuner up to a higher level to get reasonable sound (ie. Xfinity was putting out lower volume).

2) I noticed that I was not getting surround sound from my 5.1 speakers. After a while I noticed that if you press down (sort of cursor down) on the remote, you get playback options.On the left is a choice for Video Description and another for SAP. If I turned Video Description on, I got full surround sound; if off, no surround sound. Also tuner shows <<LFE>> with Video Description off, and does not show it with Video Description on. Problem solved? Not quite ...

On some programs, when Video Description is ON, audio is in Spanish. Other programs there is no change. In any case, the SAP selection is always on/off along with Video Description. Other issue is that if you turn on Video Description, is seems to be reset when you change programs.

Again, all was fine before the recent firmware upgrade. Fix one thing, break 2 others.

i coogled googled the term + audio and it appears that is is a low audio frequency dolby channel used  to give some lower frequency sound effects. It is a channel similar to left/center/right but limited frequency channel. does that sound 'right' to you?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

The LFE channel is ".1" channel in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.
New Poster

What came of all this?

I moved to X1 about a year and a half ago.

I'm using a Pioneer VSX-1020.

My receiver says it's running 5.1 but my center channel hasn't worked on X1 since the upgrade.

I've been reading through these threads all day but it's not clear to me what if anything I can do to fix my personal situation.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like a system setting issue on your part. With a handful of exceptions, X1 surround audio is working fine.

The exception is cloud based recordings are currently in stereo. If you are having trouble beyond that your system setup and settings are the issue.
Frequent Visitor

I don't know.  The audio is still pretty poor for me even after many hours of fine tuning (AVR, Speakers, X1 to the extent possible).   I switch back and forth between Stereo and Surround every few weeks to see if Comcast has made any improvements.  The sound fade/drop is still very noticeable when using Surround Sound mode on the X1 device.  It seems that when someone asks the question everyone chimes into this forum that it still does have problems. Then it dies down. I wouldn't take the fact that the forum has gone quiet as a sign its working fine.  My big problem is with variation between channels as well as shows and the fact that it works fine on the little companion box but not the X1 (with the exact same AVR models).  I get tired of readjusting the audio settings for each channel or show/movie.

Regular Contributor

lztf37 wrote:

I don't know.  The audio is still pretty poor for me even after many hours of fine tuning (AVR, Speakers, X1 to the extent possible).   I switch back and forth between Stereo and Surround every few weeks to see if Comcast has made any improvements.  The sound fade/drop is still very noticeable when using Surround Sound mode on the X1 device.  It seems that when someone asks the question everyone chimes into this forum that it still does have problems. Then it dies down. I wouldn't take the fact that the forum has gone quiet as a sign its working fine.  My big problem is with variation between channels as well as shows and the fact that it works fine on the little companion box but not the X1 (with the exact same AVR models).  I get tired of readjusting the audio settings for each channel or show/movie.

The surround sound dropouts have most definitely NOT been fixed.  I've been outputting stereo for the past month or so - way less issues than when outputting surround.  It's a shame that Comcast cannot seem to fix the surround issues, but they've been happening for like a year now, so I'm losing hope.

Gold Problem Solver

I just posted this in another thread so here you go.

A former Comcast employee (who would know all about the audio drop out issue) that now works for Dolby Labs recently posted in another thread that they know what the audio drop out problem is and a fix is coming soon........

jkozlow3 wrote:

lztf37 wrote:

The surround sound dropouts have most definitely NOT been fixed.  I've been outputting stereo for the past month or so - way less issues than when outputting surround.  It's a shame that Comcast cannot seem to fix the surround issues, but they've been happening for like a year now, so I'm losing hope.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

I just posted this in another thread so here you go.

A former Comcast employee (who would know all about the audio drop out issue) that now works for Dolby Labs recently posted in another thread that they know what the audio drop out problem is and a fix is coming soon........

jkozlow3 wrote:

lztf37 wrote:

Rick, can you provide the link to the other thread/post? I don't recall seeing that update. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 are you using an HDMI or optical cable for audio from the X1 box to your AVR?  I've tried both and both and not had any noticeable difference in audio quality or behavior.

Gold Problem Solver

Both and it doesn't matter. The problem is surround audio. Stereo is fine. That being said, I notice the problem more on one my XG2s than I do on my Arris DVR.

Comcast and  Dolby Labs know what the problem is. Like everyone else you just need to wait until they flip the switch...

lztf37 wrote:

@RickGr4 are you using an HDMI or optical cable for audio from the X1 box to your AVR?  I've tried both and both and not had any noticeable difference in audio quality or behavior.

New Poster

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking through this entire and cannot seem to find an answer to my simple question and calling comcast was worthless.

I need my new HD settop box to output S/P-DIF stereo digital audio to use with my high end D/A Preamp (that I designed while working in the audio group at National Semiconductor).  It worked in the past but now I am only getting Dolby Digital 5.1 on the digital outputs of the box, on both the RCA and fiber optic digital audio output jacks.  I cannot find a way in the menus for the box that actually changes the digital output.  I think they have to change it by sending a signal to my box to re-configure it but I am not certain about that.  

Again, in the past I was able to get a correct "Stereo Digital Signal" (LCPM or S/P-DIF) that worked with my digital audio preamp.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

Mark / Audioman54

A Now Retired Audio Engineer thanks to TI buying National Semiconductor and eliminating the audio group.

Regular Contributor

no one at Comcast has the ability or knowedge to asnwer this - how sad is that

Gold Problem Solver

Audioman,

We are assuming that you went into the X1 menu > device settings > audio and changed the setting to stereo?
New Poster

Yes that was the very first thing I tried.

Gold Problem Solver

Exact model number of the X1 box?

audioman54 wrote:

Yes that was the very first thing I tried.

Regular Contributor

Ordered X1. I use a Vizio Sound bar. Does this X1 have a Dolby Digital Setting for 5.1?

New Poster

RNG150N on the front

MCARD SN: MT1141TMD986 on the back

Thanks for the help RickGr4

audioman54/Mark

Gold Problem Solver

That is probably the least desirable X1 box. Strongly recommend that you swap that box for an XG2.

audioman54 wrote:

RNG150N on the front

MCARD SN: MT1141TMD986 on the back

Thanks for the help RickGr4

audioman54/Mark

Frequent Visitor

Issue: No surround sound output from Integra 40.3 with Comcast(Beaverton Oregon) X1 source. Front and center sound only.  Side and rear speakers are silent in a 7.1 configuration.  Blue Disk works just fine.

Equipment: Pace X1—Release Version XRE 69P3, XRE Protocol 280, STB Version PX013ANM 25p12s1 PROD sey; Integra 40.3 Software version 1131-1377-0211-4108.

Comment:  The 7.1 capability worked after installation issues were resolved and software was updated earlier in 2016.

Any positive comments would be appreciated.  I believe that Comcast has dropped the ball on this capability, perhaps the upcoming ATMOS/DOLBY updates will improve things?

Regular Contributor

MelBMac wrote:

I believe that Comcast has dropped the ball on this capability, perhaps the upcoming ATMOS/DOLBY updates will improve things?

Possibly.  God knows how long it will be until they push out the surround fix.  They supposedly already know how to fix the problem.  Yet we've all been waiting for a fix for like a year now.  No rush Comcast.  No rush.  Maybe things will be working correctly by 2018.

Gold Problem Solver

Have you toggled the surround/stereo setting?
Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
Have you toggled the surround/stereo setting?

Who are you asking?  I have had my X1 box on stereo for the past 1-2 months.  Waiting until the surround issues are fixed. They aren't fixed yet, are they?

Gold Problem Solver

I think there has been changes in regards to surround audio but I haven't confirmed yet.
Frequent Visitor

Just today I'm noticing more surround in my sound.  The back speakers seem to have come alive.  I'll have to check on the software/firmware update to see if there was one recently.  The quality is still lacking but if they made changes I may have to readjust my AVR settings to compensate.  If anyone konws what updates might have been pushed let us know.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

I think there has been changes in regards to surround audio but I haven't confirmed yet.

lztf37 wrote:
Just today I'm noticing more surround in my sound. The back speakers seem to have come alive. I'll have to check on the software/firmware update to see if there was one recently. The quality is still lacking but if they made changes I may have to readjust my AVR settings to compensate. If anyone konws what updates might have been pushed let us know.

My software version is 2.5p12s1 and the STB timestamp is from October 29, so I don't think anything has been updated recently?  Are you guys seeing a different version?

Gold Problem Solver

As I have said many times, Comcast is constantly making changes to X1 that are not reflected in version number changes.
Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
As I have said many times, Comcast is constantly making changes to X1 that are not reflected in version number changes.

Ah.  I didn't realize that.  I'll try toggling surround on and see if I notice any improvements.  I had been watching for a software update before doing so, but I guess that method is flawed if they can somehow make changes without a new build.

Frequent Visitor

Yes indeed...In Fact, Comcast has just updated my software wjhile on chat with them; in addition, they have elevated the issue to the advanced team...due to call me tomorrow!  Thanks for your response.

Frequent Visitor

Depends an where U R.  They just updated my software as I was on a Chat".

Gold Problem Solver

That's great but did it fix anything?

MelBMac wrote:

Depends an where U R.  They just updated my software as I was on a Chat".

Highlighted
Contributor

Is there any reason why HBO would not be in Dolby Digital for on demand programming? Especially when at the beginning of the show the words "Dolby Digital" appear on the screen in the opening? My receiver shows that I'm getting Dolby Digital through the X1 box, but as soon as I start the On Demand show it shows that it is no longer receiving it. Is this a limitation with On Demand?
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Hello Neil, 

Thanks for your help.  My old Xfinity box had an audio output mode called Passthru.  Apparantly this mode did not look at the EDID.  Please request that this mode is added to the XI system because this worked fine with my system for years.

I have my box connected to my LG 55LM7600 TV via HDMI.  I then have the audio fed to my Denon AVR-884 Dolby Digital reciever via the TV optical audio output.  The reciever does not get Dolby Digital sound with the X1. If I switch the reciever to the optical output from the X1, the voices are not in sync with the video. I also then have to switch the reciever back when using the smart TV features.  This means another remote is required.  The TV smart features do deliver Dolby Digital to my reciever as well.

I demonstrated to the comcast technician that my system worked fine with the old cable box.  Please recommend that the Audio Passthru (no EDID check) mode that was available on the old cable box be added to the X1.

Ray Ballenger

Gold Problem Solver

Ray,

ComcastNeal does not work for Comcast any longer however he is still involved with X1.

While you bring up a valid point, I think it is highly unlikely that Comcast will add any sort of pass through feature to X1 boxes.

HOWEVER I think your connections are the issue. Many of today's TV sets do not pass surround audio from the HDMI inputs to the TOSLINK digital output. That is probably the reason why you aren't getting surround audio from your X1 box. I think you need to run a separate audio connections to your receiver from the X1 box and the TV.

In regards to remotes, as we all know X1 offers extremely limited control over AV receivers. I have said this before and I will repeat it.... Anyone that has a cable box, TV and AV receiver should be looking at 3rd party universal remotes.

I have another view on this issue. I Googled the AVR 884 and it appears to be well over 10 years old. AV receivers have improved greatly in the past three to four years let alone 14 years. I suggest you consider buying a current AV receiver with HDMI connections.

Comcast does not support 3rd party audio devices so your issues are yours to fix. I think you should reevaluate how your system is connected. I also think you should consider upgrading your rather old receiver and check in to universal remotes.
Frequent Visitor

I finally got around to swapping out my X1 box for a new box.  I had reported poor sound quality as well as the unit having to be rebooted frequently to reconnect and the unit simply turning off by itself.   Recently I started to experience picture freezing.  The picture would remain frozen but the audio was still coming through.  Changing channels changed the audio but the picture was still frozen.  Fixing this required a power shut down.

I had tried all the settings in the X1 Audio as well as the Denon AVR.  I've used HDMI, Optical, Passthru, etc., all trying to get the system to effectively provide surround sound and use the 5.1 channel audio system.  The smart TV, Blue Ray DVD, Roku and Chromecast all have no problems delivering 5.1 Surround Sound.  Only the X1 box had the problem.

The new box is performing better.   One big difference is that the new box has very different audio settings.  The old box had only Stereo and Surround Sound.  The new box has Auto 5.1 Channel Sound and separate settings for HDMI and Optical.    When did that show up?

Hopefully this new (looks like refurbished) unit will perform better, and hopefully they've fixed the sound fading problem.

P.S. what prompted me to finally swap is my Comcast provided Internet Cable Modem started limping last weekend.  Three of the 4 ethernet ports stoped working (ports 1-3) and the WiFi was unstable.  The new device is also performing much better than the old.

Regular Contributor

lztf37 wrote:

Recently I started to experience picture freezing.  The picture would remain frozen but the audio was still coming through.  Changing channels changed the audio but the picture was still frozen.  Fixing this required a power shut down.

lztf37, I've had this exact same issue with 2 brand new boxes.  I swapped out a 1-month old box and the replacement (also brand new) still has this issue occasionally.  It's not frequent - maybe once every 2 weeks.  Same as you've described - the picture freezes but the audio continues.  Changing the channel doesn't help - a reboot is required.

FYI, if you call Comcast and ask them to send you a new box in the mail (a self install kit), they are always brand new.  They usually charge you $15 for the privilege however.

Expert

lztf37 wrote:

I finally got around to swapping out my X1 box for a new box.  I had reported poor sound quality as well as the unit having to be rebooted frequently to reconnect and the unit simply turning off by itself.   Recently I started to experience picture freezing.  The picture would remain frozen but the audio was still coming through.  Changing channels changed the audio but the picture was still frozen.  Fixing this required a power shut down.

I had tried all the settings in the X1 Audio as well as the Denon AVR.  I've used HDMI, Optical, Passthru, etc., all trying to get the system to effectively provide surround sound and use the 5.1 channel audio system.  The smart TV, Blue Ray DVD, Roku and Chromecast all have no problems delivering 5.1 Surround Sound.  Only the X1 box had the problem.

The new box is performing better.   One big difference is that the new box has very different audio settings.  The old box had only Stereo and Surround Sound.  The new box has Auto 5.1 Channel Sound and separate settings for HDMI and Optical.    When did that show up?

Hopefully this new (looks like refurbished) unit will perform better, and hopefully they've fixed the sound fading problem.

P.S. what prompted me to finally swap is my Comcast provided Internet Cable Modem started limping last weekend.  Three of the 4 ethernet ports stoped working (ports 1-3) and the WiFi was unstable.  The new device is also performing much better than the old.

the audio settings are new and part of the most recent firmware version update and XRE menu system update. Glad you got a good, new modem.

New Poster

Just had new service installed. XG1-A receiver. Used to have U-Verse. Dolby 5.1 worked perfect. HDMI to TV, TV forwards 5.1 signal to receiver over TOSLINK.

No luck with X1. Set top box refuses to send 5.1 signal to TV for pass thru. My only options are choose Stereo or auto-detect which picks Stereo.

Again exact same setup worked perfectly this morning with U-Verse equipment. Comcast please fix your X1 boxes!!!! For now I had to drop a TOSLINK direct to the receiver from the STB. Really inconvenient compared to the U-Verse system which worked right over HDMI.