Community Forum

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Firmware and software up to date in your TV?
Expert

@applehazar wrote:

I have what I believe is a related question. I have the old green light X1 in Ann Arbor. - this is the ones that are still being given out.  I have an onxyo receiver.  While I do receive some surround sound it is very week on side and back with Comcast transmissions. But when I watch Nelflix and Amazon through my Sony blu ray the surround sound is fantastic.  I have hdmi on all connections.  Any ideas?  Thank you. I love this group and have always received informative information.  

the 'greenie' is deprecated and no longer issued(has only 5 tuners available and the firmware allowing 6 tuners will not work on that early model). When you are ready, simply swap it for a 'new' 6 tuner DVR (same price). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes.
Silver Problem Solver

For some reason, I can't get into my Diagnostic screens to compare my DVR to yours.

Exit for 5 seconds

Down arrow 2 times

Press 2

Doesn't work.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

For some reason, I can't get into my Diagnostic screens to compare my DVR to yours.

Exit for 5 seconds

Down arrow 2 times

Press 2

Doesn't work.

robert, both '2' and '3' (same menu) work for me. I only hold the exit about 2-3 seconds though.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Exit for 5 seconds

Down arrow 2 times

Press 2

Doesn't work.

robert, both '2' and '3' (same menu) work for me. I only hold the exit about 2-3 seconds though.

I held the exit button too long.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@52alan wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
Well,

AV receivers have improved greatly in so many ways. I would buy a new one.

In the meantime, I have a theory about LG TVs that I have not had a chance to test. Make sure the TVs internal speakers are off or being bypassed. My theory is when the TVs speakers are on the TV is NOT passing surround audio but if you turn the speakers off it will

Alas, I have tried that thinking the same thing.  Made no difference.  I just went and tried it again and still no difference.  Antother thing I noticed.  I was curious and found a way to view the settings on the DVR.  I found a section titled OSD Diagnostics which reports the HDMI Audio as "lpcm".  I have attached the image.  I am still not convinced this box is set up correctly
.20160826_115811_resized.jpgDiagnostics for XVG1-A

Mine says ac3.

IMG_2538.JPG
Gold Problem Solver

I just Googled the model number of your receiver. Strongly suggest you join the 21st century and buy a new receiver.

Your current receiver is holding you back in so many ways...

@52alan wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
Well,

In the meantime, I have a theory about LG TVs that I have not had a chance to test. Make sure the TVs internal speakers are off or being bypassed. My theory is when the TVs speakers are on the TV is NOT passing surround audio but if you turn the speakers off it will

Alas, I have tried that thinking the same thing.  Made no difference.  I just went and tried it again and still no difference.  Antother thing I noticed.  I was curious and found a way to view the settings on the DVR.  I found a section titled OSD Diagnostics which reports the HDMI Audio as "lpcm".  I have attached the image.  I am still not convinced this box is set up correctly

Gold Problem Solver

I believe lpcm means linear pulse code modulation or stereo.  AC3 means Dolby Digital. I just checked... if the X1 box is set to surround audio it will read AC3. If the box is set to stereo it will read lpcm.

Sounds like box is stuck in stereo. If it were me, I would replace the box.

Hopefully you are aware that there is a stereo/surround selector in device settings.

@52alan wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
Well,

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for looking. I appreciate the help. So yours was set up differently, but I wonder what ac3 represents?
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I have the box set to Surround in the device settings so it is stuck. I will get them to replace this one while I look for a new receiver.
Gold Problem Solver

AC-3 refers to the Dolby Digital "codec"...

@52alan wrote:
Thanks for looking. I appreciate the help. So yours was set up differently, but I wonder what ac3 represents?

Regular Contributor

Thanks Rusty - additional question - last time I spoke to Ann Arbor (2 months ago) - they said they give out what they have and all they are alloted are green button units and you get what they have- any suggestion?  do i have to contact corporate ?  i appreciate your responses

Expert

@applehazar wrote:

Thanks Rusty - additional question - last time I spoke to Ann Arbor (2 months ago) - they said they give out what they have and all they are alloted are green button units and you get what they have- any suggestion?  do i have to contact corporate ?  i appreciate your responses

sure.. tell the rep at the counter you want a set top box dVR that allows you to record/watch a totlal of 6 channels at one time. (note that there is a 'blueie' version of the pace 1st generation box. any arris box and any pace newer than version 1 will give you the 6 tuners.

Frequent Visitor

They came out this morning with a replacement and the tech didn't know as much as I do about the system.  Same exact issue. So the Arris XG1 is either incapable of outputtting digital throught the HDMI, or they are pre-programming these boxes incorrectly. 
I didn't have this problem with UVerse, so I think I will get my money back and switch back to UVerse since the standard response from Comcast is their boxes dont' have digital output through HDMI.
UVerse had more HD channels anyway.
Thanks for all of your help.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry Alan but its your system or your setup that is the problem.

Arris v1 and v3 DVRs have worked perfectly for me in all audio situations since the early bugs were fixed a couple years ago.

If this were a widespread problem don't you think more people would be complaining?

I would replace that dinosaur receiver you have long before I would change providers.
Frequent Visitor

That's like blaming slow internet speed on an old PC.  Nothing to do with my Receiver. Taking that completely out of the equation. HDMI going in to my TV from the X1 should be Dolby Digital.  It was with UVerse and it is with XBox.  Period. 
Thanks for the help. 

Frequent Visitor

Exactly what model is your X1 box?  Thanks for the help.

Gold Problem Solver

But a new receiver solve the problem.......

Like I said, with roughly 10 million X1 boxes out there, don't you think more people would be having the same issue?

FYI almost all new AV receivers have adjustments for audio sync.

Also make sure you go into the settings of your TV and turn off any HDMI CEC or HDMI control functions...

This problem appears unique to you, your system settings or your combination of components.
Valued Contributor

I've noticed that on my Pace v3 XG1 that when Surround is enabled, the audio is out of sync by a few milliseconds and the audio is softer. Sony television indicates Dolby Digital is active. When I set audio back to Stereo (PCM), everything is normal and in sync. Just thought someone would want to know.

Silver Problem Solver

@MikeWolf wrote:

I've noticed that on my Pace v3 XG1 that when Surround is enabled, the audio is out of sync by a few milliseconds and the audio is softer. Sony television indicates Dolby Digital is active. When I set audio back to Stereo (PCM), everything is normal and in sync. Just thought someone would want to know.

In order to utilize Surround, I have to use an a/v receiver.  For my other TV's, I set my STB to Stereo.

Are you using an a/v receiver?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

No. My television has a surround sound setting, and when receiving a Dolby Digital source, the DD icon appears. I've not had a problem before with other set top boxes like TiVo and Moxi or with the PS3 with Dolby Digital enabled, no audio dropout or lip sync not being in sync, only with the X1. Anyway, no big deal. With it set to Stereo, everything is perfect. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Quick question. With the X1. Is Comcast using Dolby Atmos? I noticed a few demo videos in the On Demand library during the Olympics a few weeks back.

Silver Problem Solver

@MikeWolf wrote:

Quick question. With the X1. Is Comcast using Dolby Atmos? I noticed a few demo videos in the On Demand library during the Olympics a few weeks back.

No but they are in the process of making it available.  No timetable.  The demo is part of the process.

Frequent Visitor

Hey everyone,

So I'm moving and I could try and swap out my box if it would help.  I have two issues:  the box switches to 2-channel during fast forward, pause, etc. and makes horrible screechy noises when I start playing again, as well as a very high pitched whine during the pause or ff.  This was discussed before on this forum, I am running an Oppo-105d as AVPre and others have said Denon, etc. can handle this, but I'm mentioning it because it is still my issue.  Btw, I did push Oppo pretty hard to fix, but they don't care.

Second issue is audio dropouts when using 5.1.  It is pretty bad.  I read a few pages up they are working on a fix and have some good ideas to fix.  Edit: I should say that I personally get much more audio dropouts on On Demand vs live TV.

I've got an XG1-A with blue light on right side in CA. 

Is the XG1-3 an update to the A?  Any benefit to trying to get a more recent box for either of the issues above or any other issues?

I assume the audio dropouts will be fixed via firmware that will apply to several models, but wanted to check if it is worth going for new box.

Frequent Visitor

To be very specific as there may be more than one kind of audio dropout, but basically once you pause, ff, or do a 30 second rewind then around 5 seconds in you lose audio for 4 or 5 second.   And it can happen randomly as well.

Rick - you were saying I think that this is resolved, you only see it once a day or so?  That would be great.

And if I understand right, what I meant by XG1-3 is XG1v3 - I'm just getting it from previous forum posts.  I have no idea what the latest is.

Service menu says we have, under Manu/Host:

hardware revision: 0x24a0

vendor: Motorola

Software: MX011AN_2.4p10s2_PROD_sey

Model: MX011ANM

Gold Problem Solver

@Lightminer wrote:

To be very specific as there may be more than one kind of audio dropout, but basically once you pause, ff, or do a 30 second rewind then around 5 seconds in you lose audio for 4 or 5 second.   And it can happen randomly as well. This is a different issue than what is generally known as the "audio dropout" issue.

Rick - you were saying I think that this is resolved, you only see it once a day or so?  That would be great. The issue that is generally known as the audio dropout issue has NOT been resolved. But I have little doubt that some people get the drop outs more often than I do. I rarely notice an audio dropout unless I am watching On Demand (where the drop outs can be very noticable).

And if I understand right, what I meant by XG1-3 is XG1v3 - I'm just getting it from previous forum posts.  I have no idea what the latest is. XG1-A v3 and XG1-P v3 are the latest.

Service menu says we have, under Manu/Host:

hardware revision: 0x24a0

vendor: Motorola

Software: MX011AN_2.4p10s2_PROD_sey

Model: MX011ANM

Expert

X1 Feedback and Issues

Hello. I just wanted to leave feedback on the Audio Quality on my new X1 boxes. The audio quality is bad. On Legacy boxes normally I could have the volume on the TV at 15 and hear it just fine. Now I can barely hear it at 15 and have to double the volume just to hear it. Is there any idea on how to increase the volume straight from the X1 box? Also I can barely see the guide from my 50" tv. The text is just too small. A reply from someone at Comcast would be well appreciated on why legacy boxes are actually better on display and audio than X1 or is the audio a software issue being addressed? Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Feedback and Issues

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Hello. I just wanted to leave feedback on the Audio Quality on my new X1 boxes. The audio quality is bad. On Legacy boxes normally I could have the volume on the TV at 15 and hear it just fine. Now I can barely hear it at 15 and have to double the volume just to hear it. Is there any idea on how to increase the volume straight from the X1 box? Also I can barely see the guide from my 50" tv. The text is just too small. A reply from someone at Comcast would be well appreciated on why legacy boxes are actually better on display and audio than X1 or is the audio a software issue being addressed? Thank you.

Can't help with the sound except to check your TV's volume settings.

This might help with the Guide:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-font-size-of-the-on-screen-guide

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, no big deal.  The answer here is to go buy more expensive audio equipment to 'fix' what works with other vendors' equipment or live with an older format.  You have chosen the latter.  Thanks Comcast!

Expert

I would like to say that the audio quality on the X1 boxes is horrible. I have one Samsung X2 box and three of the X1 RNG150N boxes. On legacy equipment, I can have the volume at 15 and be able to hear my stations just fine. Now I have to increase it to 25 just to be able to hear it. No settings were changed on my TV at all and I already checked the TV settings and they are fine. Changing audio settings on the X1 boxes didn't help either.

Gold Problem Solver

It's not a "quality" issue. Think of it as being a "setting" change.

Yes, you may need to turn up your volume control further to achieve the same volume level but that does not mean the sound quality has changed.

Technically, it is called gain. Different audio video boxes have different levels of gain.

@jweaver0312 wrote:
I would like to say that the audio quality on the X1 boxes is horrible. I have one Samsung X2 box and three of the X1 RNG150N boxes. On legacy equipment, I can have the volume at 15 and be able to hear my stations just fine. Now I have to increase it to 25 just to be able to hear it. No settings were changed on my TV at all and I already checked the TV settings and they are fine. Changing audio settings on the X1 boxes didn't help either.

Expert

I only mean as towards audio quality from the boxes themselves. I tried every possible setting on multiple TV and all of my X1 equipment and no luck.

Frequent Visitor

I posted in this forum months ago about the poor sound quality and inability to get the "new" set top box to actually provide surround sound.   From the posts and my experience it still is a problem. The sound from the X1 box compared to the legacy motorola I had is terrible.  I get the best sound when I set the set top box to stereo but it is not true surround.   I even got off the HDMI cable and switched to optical cable and there was no noticeable difference.  I have a newer Denon AV receiver (5.1/7.1), have passthru disabled and have the speakers turned off on my Sharp Aquos TV.  But that shouldn't matter using the Optical Cable.  The sound is muffled stereo with most of the sound coming out of the front speaker.  I've tried every setting I can find and still have terrible sound.  I have to turn the volume way up to be able to really hear the audio and dialog.  One thing I have noticed is different channels or even programs will have vastly different sound quality.  Sometimes a TV show or movie appears to be emitting surround sound with the stereo setting.  Most of the time it does not. 

I noticed that I actually get better audio quality from the satellite set top box that is connected to the exact same brand and model AV receiver for my home theater.

It sure would be nice to have a consistent experience instead of having to adjust the audio settings for every show and different channels.  I keep hoping that one day someone will acknowlegdge there is a problem and fix it.  The people posting here represent a leading indicator of the problem.  Most people are just living with it.

Gold Problem Solver

lztf37,

The audio from X1 boxes work just fine. There is nothing to fix. I have four X1 boxes. Each one is connected to a different type of audio solution. The audio from the X1 boxes works reliably and predictably in all four situations.

I am sorry to tell you this but after reading your post I can tell you that you are doing something wrong or you have a fixable situation or a combination of both.

I suggest that you either have Comcast send a tech out or find someone that has a higher level of knowledge about AV system set up to help you.
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
lztf37,

The audio from X1 boxes work just fine. There is nothing to fix. I have four X1 boxes. Each one is connected to a different type of audio solution. The audio from the X1 boxes works reliably and predictably in all four situations.

I am sorry to tell you this but after reading your post I can tell you that you are doing something wrong or you have a fixable situation or a combination of both.

I suggest that you either have Comcast send a tech out or find someone that has a higher level of knowledge about AV system set up to help you.

Huh?  What do you mean the audio from the X1 boxes works just fine?  What is the purpose of this thread and the work that ComcastEric and his team are doing then?  I beg to differ that the X1 audio works "just fine".  Audio from the X1 boxes is terrible.

Gold Problem Solver

I suggest you take some time to actually read this thread, starting with my post at # 393. This thread is old and long. The early information in this thread is out of date.

The only current problem with X1 audio at the moment is momentary audio drop outs which Comcast is very aware of and that is what Comcast Eric is working on.

Any surround audio issues you may be having are confined to you and your particular installation.

Look, properly setting up an audio video system is not easy. There is a great deal to know. I have been doing it for almost 40 years. In all that time, I have never been to a customer's house where their system was set up 100% correctly. I ALWAYS find things that I can change or improve.
Regular Contributor

I agree - i have X1 box - set to surround - while i do get some volume from side and back speakers - it is very low - but when i move to netflix or amazon - the surround sound is terrific - so its not the receiver (2 years old) hdmi - its the x1 system.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
I suggest you take some time to actually read this thread, starting with my post at # 393. This thread is old and long. The early information in this thread is out of date.

The only problem with X1 audio at the moment is momentary audio drop outs which Comcast is very aware of.

Any surround audio issues you may be having are confined to you and your particular installation.

Rick, I have been following this thread from the beginning.  Your posts are often condescending and incorrect.  Being a Comcast cheerleader isn't helping anyone.

The fact is audio from the X1 boxes is far from working properly.  When set to output surround, the volume levels are ALL OVER THE PLACE and the brief audio dropouts are still happening after a year.  I also often experience terrible lip-sync issues when outputting surround (inconsistently - it varies from channel to channel and program to program).  This is quite obvious when toggling between surround and stereo output.

When the X1 box is set to output stereo, the volume levels are quite a bit different than when outputting surround.  The audio dropouts also do not occur in stereo and I have no lip-sync issues.

I had none of these issues with my legacy box and neither did many of the other people who have posted in this thread.  We pay good money for our Comcast service and the fact that Comcast cannot seem to get the audio to work properly on the X1 boxes is pretty frustrating.  Many of us (myself included) have swapped X1 boxes and had technicians out to our homes to check the signal and none of this has helped whatsoever.

Gold Problem Solver

Thanks for being more specific. Your earlier posts were rather vague.

My posts are not condescending. I challenge people to be resourceful and specific.

Also you are going to need to post specific examples of where I was "not correct".

X1 currently has issues with audio drop outs. Audio sync issues are there but I notice them when using an over the air antenna as well which means some of the issues could be in the original broadcast. Same with volume swings. I hear them when watching over the air as well.

I suggest you connect an antenna to your main system. That is the only valid comparison. I think you will find that some of you concerns are in contained within the original broadcast.

That being said, I think Comcast may have some work to do on the audio sync issues. You are correct in that there is some minor issues there. I am thinking they may have changed something in the firmware in regards to the digital audio formatting.
Frequent Visitor

I guess this is where we agree to disagree.  I've read this topic all the way through even from post 393.    I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku and Chromecast.  The Roku and Chromecast have very good audio and surround sound quality.  The X1 unit is the only one that is a problem.  They are all connected to the same receiver.

I actually have seen an improvement with audio drops.  OnDemand is actually where the audio drop and picture freeze occurs most.  I live in a major metropolitan area. I had a new cable drop. I have a strong signal.  I've had technicians check it all out and the audio is still terrible.   I try changing the box again.

Gold Problem Solver

I have multiple Roku and Blu ray devices including a new Roku Ultra.

I get your point but none of those devices are an apples to apples comparison. . The only valid comparison is over the air broadcasts
Silver Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:
I have multiple Roku and Blu ray devices including a new Roku Ultra.

I get your point but none of those devices are an apples to apples comparison. . The only valid comparison is over the air broadcasts

I have never hooked up an OTA antenna to my a/v receiver, so I don't know whether some OTA delivers 5.1 sound.  What about you?

Frequent Visitor

I once again revisted all the settings.  I agree that when its on stereo its a bit more stable.  But on stereo my 5.1 surround system sounds like 2.1. There is no depth to the audio.  In the Stereo setting on the set top box the sound levels between channels are consistent and there is no audio dropout. 

I switched it to Surround sound over HDMI again. I have to increase the volume by 25% or more to hear it.  I can understand if with Surround Sound the higher volume number is going to be the new normal.  However, the volume levels between stations and even between programs is all over the place.  As I'm changing between channels and shows I'll have to adjust the volume 15-20% up or down to have it in a good listening range.   I calibrate the audio on an HD Premium station such as HBO and its fine.  Change it to Cinemax and I have to reduce the volume 20% or increase it 20%.  Change it to an HD network station such as ABC and I have to increase it 25% to hear it.    The dialog out of the center speaker varies wildly between channels.  Some channels I have to raise the volume very loud to hear the dialog clearly.  Others I can keep it quite low and hear the dialog fine.   I've played with the center channel and dialog settings on the receiver and you can never get it right.  Even if you get it right for one channel it is not right for the next.   The problem is with the inconsistency in audio volume, clarity and distribution between the speakers and between channels.   Almost every time I change the station or even move from one program to another I have to make signficant audio adjustments.   I never, ever, had this problem witht the legacy box or any other cable box I have ever used.  I haven't had it set to surround sound long enough to notice audio drops.  I'll leave it in surround sound for a few days and see.  

As I mentioned in a previouis post I have one of the small satellite boxes in another room connected to the exact same receiver and model and the audio quality on that unit is fine. I have even duplicated the settings between the two and I can tell you the X1 exhibits different behavior.  My receiver recognizes when the signal change between types (Dobly Digital, PL II C) and while the small satellite box will change the X1 stays on Dolby Digital almost all the time, or Stereo.  The same station with the same program at the same time will broadcast PLII C on the small box and Dolby Digital on the X1 set top box. 

I have no doubt someone can come into a home and adjust the audio just right on a given station and program. It may even sound fine on a few other channels and programs.   I have many doubts that the setting will result in a consistent experience for very long and between channels and stations.  The customer is then left with the impression that it must be them and they have to live with it.  That's the best it will be.   Well know it's not me and I know it can be better.  It has been better and its better on the little box that accompanies the X1.

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

Yes, OTA has 5.1 audio.
Regular Contributor

@lztf37 wrote:

I once again revisted all the settings.  I agree that when its on stereo its a bit more stable.  But on stereo my 5.1 surround system sounds like 2.1. There is no depth to the audio.  In the Stereo setting on the set top box the sound levels between channels are consistent and there is no audio dropout. 

I switched it to Surround sound over HDMI again. I have to increase the volume by 25% or more to hear it.  I can understand if with Surround Sound the higher volume number is going to be the new normal.  However, the volume levels between stations and even between programs is all over the place.  As I'm changing between channels and shows I'll have to adjust the volume 15-20% up or down to have it in a good listening range.   I calibrate the audio on an HD Premium station such as HBO and its fine.  Change it to Cinemax and I have to reduce the volume 20% or increase it 20%.  Change it to an HD network station such as ABC and I have to increase it 25% to hear it.    The dialog out of the center speaker varies wildly between channels.  Some channels I have to raise the volume very loud to hear the dialog clearly.  Others I can keep it quite low and hear the dialog fine.   I've played with the center channel and dialog settings on the receiver and you can never get it right.  Even if you get it right for one channel it is not right for the next.   The problem is with the inconsistency in audio volume, clarity and distribution between the speakers and between channels.   Almost every time I change the station or even move from one program to another I have to make signficant audio adjustments.   I never, ever, had this problem witht the legacy box or any other cable box I have ever used.  I haven't had it set to surround sound long enough to notice audio drops.  I'll leave it in surround sound for a few days and see.  

As I mentioned in a previouis post I have one of the small satellite boxes in another room connected to the exact same receiver and model and the audio quality on that unit is fine. I have even duplicated the settings between the two and I can tell you the X1 exhibits different behavior.  My receiver recognizes when the signal change between types (Dobly Digital, PL II C) and while the small satellite box will change the X1 stays on Dolby Digital almost all the time, or Stereo.  The same station with the same program at the same time will broadcast PLII C on the small box and Dolby Digital on the X1 set top box. 

I have no doubt someone can come into a home and adjust the audio just right on a given station and program. It may even sound fine on a few other channels and programs.   I have many doubts that the setting will result in a consistent experience for very long and between channels and stations.  The customer is then left with the impression that it must be them and they have to live with it.  That's the best it will be.   Well know it's not me and I know it can be better.  It has been better and its better on the little box that accompanies the X1.

I agree with your post 100%.  Outputting surround from the X1 is complete trash at this point.  The volume levels fluctuate DRASTICALLY when using surround - I constantly have to reach for the remote to adjust the volume on my AVR.  I don't have to do this when outputting stereo - the volume levels are much more consistent.  This extreme volume fluctuation is even worse than the audio dropouts IMO.  Not to mention the lip-sync issues when outputting surround (which also do not exist when oututting stereo).  These issues have all gotten worse over time as Comcast has attempted to "fix" the surround issues.  1 step forward, 2 steps back.  Like you, I had no issues when using the legacy DVR box.

At this point, outputting stereo is the only usable option in my opinion (especially if you can enable Dolby PLII in your AVR and have simulated surround).  No, I don't like it, but it's a lot better than the alternative.  Surround on the X1 is currently completely unusable to me.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
Robert,

Yes, OTA has 5.1 audio.

I believe Robert may have sarcastically been asking you how you've hooked up an OTA antenna directly to your AVR.  I could be wrong, but I don't think this is possible?

If you can't hook up an OTA antenna directly to your AVR, how are you able to compare a 5.1 surround feed from OTA to a 5.1 surround feed on the X1 box being fed to an AVR?  Connecting an OTA antenna to your television first would add another variable and wouldn't be a direct comparison.

That's how I interpreted Robert's post, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

You connect the TOSLINK digital audio output on the TV to a TOSLINK input on the receiver. This connection is capable of carrying 5.1 audio.

Obviously the antenna is connected to the TV.
Gold Problem Solver

Please provide the exact model numbers of your AV gear and how it is connected.

@lztf37 wrote:

I once again revisted all the settings.  I agree that when its on stereo its a bit more stable.  But on stereo my 5.1 surround system sounds like 2.1. There is no depth to the audio. I have a brand new and top of the line Marantz AV receiver. I can assure you the depth and imaging is correct if your system is setup properly.  In the Stereo setting on the set top box the sound levels between channels are consistent and there is no audio dropout. 

I switched it to Surround sound over HDMI again. I have to increase the volume by 25% or more to hear it.  Known issue but it really isn't an issue. Newer AV receivers can correct for this. I can understand if with Surround Sound the higher volume number is going to be the new normal.  However, the volume levels between stations and even between programs is all over the place.  As I'm changing between channels and shows I'll have to adjust the volume 15-20% up or down to have it in a good listening range.   I calibrate the audio on an HD Premium station such as HBO and its fine.  Change it to Cinemax and I have to reduce the volume 20% or increase it 20%.  Change it to an HD network station such as ABC and I have to increase it 25% to hear it.    The dialog out of the center speaker varies wildly between channels.  Some channels I have to raise the volume very loud to hear the dialog clearly.  Others I can keep it quite low and hear the dialog fine.   I've played with the center channel and dialog settings on the receiver and you can never get it right.  Even if you get it right for one channel it is not right for the next.   The problem is with the inconsistency in audio volume, clarity and distribution between the speakers and between channels.   Almost every time I change the station or even move from one program to another I have to make signficant audio adjustments.   I never, ever, had this problem witht the legacy box or any other cable box I have ever used.  I haven't had it set to surround sound long enough to notice audio drops.  I'll leave it in surround sound for a few days and see.  Once again, most of this is probably in the original broadcast. As I said earlier, most newer AV receivers when properly set up can correct for this.

Waiting to hear the model numbers and age of your AV gear....

Silver Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:
Robert,

Yes, OTA has 5.1 audio.

AFAIK, none of my TV's can output 5.1 because they only have two speakers. <g>  And I have never contemplated connecting my OTA antenna to my Onkyo receiver to output 5.1.