Community Forum

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xi audio installation

Do you know which converter type it is?

Problem Solver

You need the XG2, it is the companion box with the outputs you are looking for.

Frequent Visitor

I found something called Elegiant HDMI audiot extrator. Is that the one you have?

New Poster

X1 no surround sound output

How do I get someone to help me with my flawed X1 box?

Contributor

Re: X1 no surround sound output

Does the option show up at all to enable surruond sounds under your preferences? Or does it not let you enable it? 

Gold Problem Solver

@MIABELLI wrote:

How do I get someone to help me with my flawed X1 box?

You could start by telling us what is wrong and what your concerns are.

This is a user to user forum... We aren't mind readers...

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

XG2 Reverting Back to Stereo From Surround!!

All of a sudden my XG2 STB is reverting back to 'stereo' from 'surround' everytime I turn my system on.  I have to go into the XG2 settings and change it back to 'surround'.  I have changed nothing in my set up; XG2 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR and HDMI out to my Panny plasma.  Anyone know if this is a new bug?

I am on firmware 1.62.01. 

Thanks.

Expert

Re: XG2 Reverting Back to Stereo From Surround!!

@Gov0525 wrote:

All of a sudden my XG2 STB is reverting back to 'stereo' from 'surround' everytime I turn my system on.  I have to go into the XG2 settings and change it back to 'surround'.  I have changed nothing in my set up; XG2 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR and HDMI out to my Panny plasma.  Anyone know if this is a new bug?

Thanks.

call 877-896-8678 and ask tech to update your firmware manually.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

What firmware version should it be on?  Is my current version flawed?

Expert

@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

backing up a bit.. that 1.62.01 is the version of the server that processes your requests (XRE). The old firmware (beginning with 1.) was replaced some time ago for comcast written firmware beginning with 2.

you can see your XRE server version and STB firmware version by pressing the xfinity button >> gear (settings) >> about. latest version i've seen on threads for firmware is 2.2p7s1.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

1.62.01 is not the firmware. That is the XRE Guide version or what is generally called the "software". We have no control over which guide version we have on our X1 boxes. Comcast reps cannot initiate or force a XRE Guide Version update.

The firmware is the "STB version". The latest STB version I am aware of is 2.2.p7.s1. I would not be surprised if there is a later version. If there is a newer STB version on the servers, an unplug and reboot will usually initiate the update. Comcast phone reps are able to initiate an STB version update as well.

I haven't noticed any audio issues with my XG2s. Did you change something with your system or it's connections?

@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

1.62.01 is not the firmware. That is the XRE Guide version or what is generally called the "software". We have no control over which guide version we have on our X1 boxes. Comcast reps cannot initiate or force a XRE Guide Version update.

The firmware is the "STB version". The latest STB version I am aware of is 2.2.p7.s1. I would not be surprised if there is a later version. If there is a newer STB version on the servers, an unplug and reboot will usually initiate the update. Comcast phone reps are able to initiate an STB version update as well.

I haven't noticed any audio issues with my XG2s. Did you change something with your system or it's connections?

Thanks for the education, Ill check that when I get home from work today.  I have changed nothing at all in my system.  If I shut everything down and turn in back on within a few minutes, the 'surround' mode will stick.  If I wait more than a few minutes to turn it back on, it reverts back to 'stereo'.  This seemed to have started sometime last week.

Valued Contributor

Hi.  Your box is up to date.  Do you have HDMI passthrough enabled on your Denon?  What model is it?
@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi.  Your box is up to date.  Do you have HDMI passthrough enabled on your Denon?  What model is it?
@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks, Neil, so no need for me to call to have the lastest firmware pushed??

I have HDMI passthrough enabled and it is an AVR-E300.  Please note this has only become an issue since last week.  I have had the XG2 for a couple of months with no issues.

Valued Contributor

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

I have HDMI passthrough enabled and it is an AVR-E300.  Please note this has only become an issue since last week.  I have had the XG2 for a couple of months with no issues.

Got it.  Turns out this is a known bug.  As soon as I have the updated firmware I'll send it to your box to test.  i'll let you know when that happens.  should be soon!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Got it.  Turns out this is a known bug.  As soon as I have the updated firmware I'll send it to your box to test.  i'll let you know when that happens.  should be soon!

Thanks!!!  Ill keep everyone posted!

Regular Visitor

Yamaha Sound Bar

Prior to relocating to Florida I was able to connect my TV (Sharp) directly to my Yamaha (ATS-1030) Sound bar.

When my X1 service was set up the technician couldn't get sound out of the sound bar. 

The only way to get sound was to connect the optical digital cable directly from the cable box to the TV.

I also had to connect a second optical cable for my DVD player to the sound bar.

What am I missing?

All of my connections are HDMI with the exception of the 2 digital optical cables for sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Hi Neal.....any more on this updated firmware and when I can expect it?

Silver Problem Solver

Which XRE and STB do you have?  My XG2 did not revert to Stereo.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Which XRE and STB do you have?  My XG2 did not revert to Stereo.

XRE = 1.62.01  03/03/2016

STB = 2.3p1s1

What is weird is that it seems like it only reverts back after having my system off longer than an hour or so.  If I turn it off and back on again within an hour, it will stay in "surround".  Very strange!

Silver Problem Solver

Yes, that is strange.

My STB is 2.2p7s1.

You may be correct that it is a bug in the new version.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Hi.  We are still working on the fix for the XG2 and a few other boxe types.  As soon as I have it, I'll be sure you get a push.  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

ComcastNeil, can you please summarize what desired functionality you're shooting for re: audio on the X1 boxes?  It's hard to understand what your objectives are for the box with all the reported issues and such from end users. The threads wander all over the place and it is hard to tell what to expect and when. It would be nice if you could state what you want the behavior to be eventually be once the issues have been worked out.

For example... Scenario 1:

HDMI from X1 to TV and SPDIF from X1 to RCVR:  What is the expected audio behavior on the SPDIF? Can it bitstream regardless of the EDID info on the HDMI? Is there supposed to be a user setting to select which output from the X1 will have audio?  Or does it send audio to both outputs unconditionally?

Scenario 2 (all HDMI, no SPDIF):

HDMI from X1 to RCVR, HDMI from RCVR to TV. CEC enabled, RCVR HDMI passthrough ON.  What is the expected audio behavior?

Scenario 3:

Same as 2 but HDMI passthrough off.

There are no doubt other scenarios, but if you could build a sort of specification for your desired goals, then you could get some feedback and build consensus on what the engineers should be designing.

Regular Visitor

Losing audio to amp when moving through a recording

Lately, every so often  the sound from my amp does not come back on after fast forwarding or reversing a recording.   I have to shut the amp off then back on to get audio back.   I have an Arris X1 with HDMI to the TV and optic to my amp.   Thanks.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

Thanks.

Hi.  We are still working on the fix for the XG2 and a few other boxe types.  As soon as I have it, I'll be sure you get a push.  Thanks!

Seems to be fixed now, thanks!!

New Poster

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I had the same problem - every time I turned on the t.v. with the new X1 box, the sound did not work - resetting the box resolved the issue. A Comcast tech came out and stated that he had never heard of this problem .... After some thinking I decided to add component AUDIO cables only (not the video component cable, as that would not give me HD), and lo and behold, this actual solution restored the audio.

Marnix

New Poster

Same problem here just set up new x1 box and no audio on tv unless I power off and on the tv and box in specific order. Power all off then tv on then box on and sound returns if I turn off tv then turn back on sound is gone same if I leave tv on and power cycle box sound goes away. Ridiculous strait HDMI from box to tv nothing else old box worked fine and at one point sound ce back but everything was green! Tried new cables different ports etc. Same results all my other devices work fine on all ports so it's not the tv now there telling me tier two will call me but they don't know when so I guess I ha e to sit in my house all night and wait for the phone to ring
New Poster

HDMI and Optical audio output at same time?

With the X1 system do the HDMI and Optical audio outputs have the ability to work at the same time? I have a TV that doesn’t have an optical audio out, nor a L/R composite output, so it’s not compatible with most decent sound bars on the market, it would only work using an aux 3.5mm headphone cable. So my plan if possible is to use the HDMI cable to the TV and the optical output for audio to whatever sound bar I end up getting if it’s possible. I tried calling Comcast support to see about getting an answer but the tech rep just kept repeating that the HDMI port could do both which I already know it can.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: HDMI and Optical audio output at same time?

Yes, both outputs work at the same time.

@svj81505 wrote:

With the X1 system do the HDMI and Optical audio outputs have the ability to work at the same time? I have a TV that doesn’t have an optical audio out, nor a L/R composite output, so it’s not compatible with most decent sound bars on the market, it would only work using an aux 3.5mm headphone cable. So my plan if possible is to use the HDMI cable to the TV and the optical output for audio to whatever sound bar I end up getting if it’s possible. I tried calling Comcast support to see about getting an answer but the tech rep just kept repeating that the HDMI port could do both which I already know it can.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: HDMI and Optical audio output at same time?

Hello svj81505,

RickGr4 is correct. They should work at the same time.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Hi Neal, I developed somewhat of an audio problem out of nowhere. I used to watch my tv with the volume level set at "10" on the television itself. It's a 32" Sylvania LCD TV.  Yesterday, I notiiced that the sound level I have always used "10" is now too low for me to hear it So I must increase it to 20 in order to hear. Here is what I have tried so far and nothing worked. REPLACED HDMI CABLE,  REBOOTED X1 BOX, UNPLUGGED TV AND PLUGGED BACK IN, USED X1 BASED XFINITY HELP TO SEND A SIGNAL TO BOX,   The volume output has been cut in half and it has to do with the X1 box. Saved recordings respond the same way. I am able to watch DVD's at the correct volume setting and hear them fine.

UPDATE: MY APOLOGIES FOR NOT READING THROUGH THE THREADS BUT I SEE ANOTHER THREAD DOES EXIST REGARDING THIS PROBLEM AND IS BEING WORKED ON.

New Poster

I know I've read here that X1 should be capable of HDMI to TV and optical audio to stereo systems receiver but I can not for the life of me get any sound to my stereo system using the X1 box and optical audio. Is there something basic I could be missing?
Gold Problem Solver

Tell us more about your audio system??? Model numbers???

@MollyKat88 wrote:
I know I've read here that X1 should be capable of HDMI to TV and optical audio to stereo systems receiver but I can not for the life of me get any sound to my stereo system using the X1 box and optical audio. Is there something basic I could be missing?

New Poster

LG Electronics LHB655 Home Theater System (2015 Model)

X1 Box --> HDMI to older TV (Insignia)

X1 Box --> Optical Audio to LG LHB655

Set input on LG system to optical, ensure volume is cranked, get nothing. Tried removing the HDMI cord, rebooting the X1 box with just the optical audio cable in, still no sound. Cable is new, verified speaker system works using bluetooth connectivity. 

Visitor

I have the Arris X1 box and simply connected an optical digital cord from it directly to the receiver and assigned that audio output mode to the corresponding source on the receiver. I have Dolby Digital when available and Pro Logic surround sound when not. I can also use TV or external speakers at will.

Frequent Visitor

It's July 2016 and even though this problem started as early as 2013 it seems it is still a problem.   I converted to the X1 system a couple of months ago.   It seemed to be working fine at first.  I did have some initial difficulty getting surround sound to work with my Denon AVR-S900W receiver eventually I was able to get it to work and hold.   Then recently I started experiencing the sound fade out/in while watching TV.   Sometimes after turning the system on the picture would be distorted or completly black.   I would unplug the box and plug it back in and it worked for a day or two.   Then I found if I just turned the box off, then on, then off, then on, using the button,  it would resume normal operation.  Just within the past few days it only broadcasts through the center channel.   I can get the X1 cable box to output Stereo and use the Stereo speakers but I cannot get it to output true surround sound and use 5.1.  The Surround setting stays active but the sound is only coming out of one speaker, the center speaker.   I've switched the HDMI cables. I've rebooted it. I've disconnected the HDMI from the receiver to the TV so there is no danger of passthrough affecting it.  I've also turned HDMI Passthrough off on the receiver.   The setup works fine with the DVD player and Roku - full 5.1 channel sound.   I have the blue light box connected to the Denon AVR-SR900W receiver and the receiver HDMI out to a Sharp Aquos TV HDMI in.  The speakers in the TV are turned off from that setup.   I'm thinking maybe its a faulty X1 cable box at this point.  Let me know if the problem has returned with a recent firmware update.  The firmware is at STB: AX013AN_2.4p6s2_PROD_sey with XRE at 1.65.08.  Any tips appreciated.

Gold Problem Solver

The audio drop out issue was fixed for quite a while but it returned in a slightly different form.

Comcast employees posting in other threads are claiming they are close to a fix.

Nothing to be done other than wait for Comcast to fix it.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks but the audio drop is the least of my problems.  No surround sound is the bigger issue.

Gold Problem Solver

In regards to your surround issue, yes I think you have a defective X1 box.
Frequent Visitor

Hello Neal,

I was told by a Comcast technician today that there is no digital surround output from the HDMI on an XG1 DVR.  Comcast only supports output from the Optical cable.  Is this true?  If so, that's bad news as the video and audio are severely out of sync.
Thanks,

Alan

Gold Problem Solver

No that is not true. Of course x1 DVRs have surround audio on HDMI. Even if it were true there are ways to adjust/fix the sync issue.
Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:
No that is not true. Of course x1 DVRs have surround audio on HDMI. Even if it were true there are ways to adjust/fix the sync issue.

Hi RickGR4.  Why would they tell me that it can't be fixed, they are working on it for the future?  TV says source is PCM.  Additionally, how do you adjust the out of synd audio/video?
Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Need to know the details for your setup and how you are trying to connect it.

Trust me. X1 boxes output surround sound on HDMI just fine. I have 2 of my 4 X1 boxes setup that way.
Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Trust me. X1 boxes output surround sound on HDMI just fine. I have 2 of my 4 X1 boxes setup that way.

Arris  XG1-A Model: AX013ANM.  Settings>Audio>HDMI>Surround.  HDMI out from the XG1 to 4K TV: LG 60UF7700 (decodes the audio from XBOX One just fine). I run the optical out from the TV to my Digital Receiver. Receiver plays Digital when XBOX One or Smart TV apps on TV.  Not when DVR is selected.

The LG will report the audio in.  Reports Dolby Digital from XBOX One HDMI in to TV.  Reports PCM from XG1 HDMI in to TV.
I can get digital from the XG1 if I connect directly to the receiver via optical but the audio/video is out of sync and unwatchable.
Let me know if you need more info.  Thanks for your response.

Gold Problem Solver

Please provide the model number of your "digital receiver" and how the devices are connected. Sorry but if you want free help with this, I need more details.

I am guessing your "digital receiver" is older and does not have HDMI connections. I STRONGLY suggest you update your AV receiver to a newer model with HDMI connections. That is your biggest weak spot. You don't want to be using your TV as your "switcher" when you have an AV receiver and you care about surround audio. Your AV receiver should be the hub for everything, not the TV. If you have a newer AV receiver with HDMI connections you should be using them. That would solve your problems.

@52alan wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Arris  XG1-A Model: AX013ANM.  Settings>Audio>HDMI>Surround.  HDMI out from the XG1 to 4K TV: LG 60UF7700 (decodes the audio from XBOX One just fine). I run the optical out from the TV to my Digital Receiver. Receiver plays Digital when XBOX One or Smart TV apps on TV.  Not when DVR is selected.

The LG will report the audio in.  Reports Dolby Digital from XBOX One HDMI in to TV.  Reports PCM from XG1 HDMI in to TV.
I can get digital from the XG1 if I connect directly to the receiver via optical but the audio/video is out of sync and unwatchable.

Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Please provide the model number of your "digital receiver" and how the devices are connected. Sorry but if you want free help with this, I need more details.

I am guessing your "digital receiver" is older and does not have HDMI connections. I STRONGLY suggest you update your AV receiver to a newer model with HDMI connections. That is your biggest weak spot. You don't want to be using your TV as your "switcher" when you have an AV receiver and you care about surround audio. Your AV receiver should be the hub for everything, not the TV. If you have a newer AV receiver with HDMI connections you should be using them. That would solve your problems.

@52alan wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Thanks again for the free help.  I do appreciate it.
Yes, it is an older one without the HDMI in/out.  It has two optical  and one coax inputs for digital.  It's a Technics SA-DX930.  So are you saying that even thought my TV is capable of passing throught the digital surrond, that isn't optimal and is the reason the XG1 will not output digital surround?  Or is that just a weak link?  I'm happy/inclined to stay with something that has worked well for as long as I've owned it, but if I need a new AV receiver, so be it.
I am connecting my XBOX One via HDMI to my TV and my XG1 to my TV via HDMI.  I am connecting the TV to the receiver via optical to the optical input on the receiver.

Gold Problem Solver

Well,

AV receivers have improved greatly in so many ways. I would buy a new one.

In the meantime, I have a theory about LG TVs that I have not had a chance to test. Make sure the TVs internal speakers are off or being bypassed. My theory is when the TVs speakers are on the TV is NOT passing surround audio but if you turn the speakers off it will.
Regular Contributor

I have what I believe is a related question. I have the old green light X1 in Ann Arbor. - this is the ones that are still being given out.  I have an onxyo receiver.  While I do receive some surround sound it is very week on side and back with Comcast transmissions. But when I watch Nelflix and Amazon through my Sony blu ray the surround sound is fantastic.  I have hdmi on all connections.  Any ideas?  Thank you. I love this group and have always received informative information.  

Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:
Well,

AV receivers have improved greatly in so many ways. I would buy a new one.

In the meantime, I have a theory about LG TVs that I have not had a chance to test. Make sure the TVs internal speakers are off or being bypassed. My theory is when the TVs speakers are on the TV is NOT passing surround audio but if you turn the speakers off it will

Alas, I have tried that thinking the same thing.  Made no difference.  I just went and tried it again and still no difference.  Antother thing I noticed.  I was curious and found a way to view the settings on the DVR.  I found a section titled OSD Diagnostics which reports the HDMI Audio as "lpcm".  I have attached the image.  I am still not convinced this box is set up correctly
.20160826_115811_resized.jpgDiagnostics for XVG1-A