Community Forum

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Factory Reset

@Frankieseamus wrote:
Wondering if anyone has had my issue:
I have hdmi to TV and optical audio to my surround sound system. Suddenly, the sound no longer works and in the audio menu there is no longer an option for external audio. When I go into the diagnostic screen, it appears it doesn't even see the sound card for optical/Toslink. I would think this is a one-off but they've already replaced my X1 box for the same issue. My use is normal and I turn it on one day, the sound cuts out then nothing out of the surround sound. It works fine with the port on other machines, and the only apparent issue is the box itself. It doesn't present audio external options when it used to. I have restarted and changed cables and gone through as much as I could. I feel as though a factory reset would be my best bet to make it work again.

Any help would be appreciated. The last techs on the phone couldn't help and neither could the tech in person--he just gave me a new box and it is doing it again.

I've only ever seen the 3 settings that are there now, SAP On/Off, SAP language, and audio mode Stereo/Surround. I don't recall any other setting, unless you're talking about a LONG time ago (years?)

Optical audio output is always DD5.1 if the content provides it anyway, so Comcast just clarified that the audio mode only impacted HDMI and none of the other types of hookups.

New Poster

How do X1 (Arris xg1 v3) box and want to install it in my home theater. 

I have a Pansonic plasma tv, onkyo receiver, Bose surround sound 5.1 system ,LG DVD player. 

Both the Tv and receiver have only 1  HDMI port. 

How do I connect the X1 so that can run all audio through my surround sound system?

I am currently running through a Comcast Motorola HD  box using component/composite cables etc (no hdmi) and everything is runs without issue. I don't want to tear things apart until I know if the X1 system will work. 

I am obliviously not a technical person so simple plug this into this descriptions or graphics are appreciated. 

Thankyou. 

Frequent Visitor

You simple connect an HDMI cable from your X1 to you onkyo reciever HDMI input .Set your X1 to sorround on the X1audio maneu. from your reciever vedio out, connect a HDMI cable to you TV . If your TV does not Have an HDMI input you may connect a component cable . The 5.1 dolby sorround sound will  output form your speakers conected to yous reciever.

New Poster

My mistake. The Onkyo does not have a HDMI PORT. Will this work....

Hdmi outbfrom X1 to hdmi in on Panasonic tv. Digital audio out from tv to Onkyo digital audio in?

Thanks for your help. 

Gold Problem Solver

It will work, but it will not give you 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound.

Panasonic TVs do not pass 5.1 audio signals from the HDMI input to the digital audio output. They strip the signal down to stereo so all you will get is Dolby Pro Logic surround, not Dolby Digital which is VERY desirable.

Connect X1 to the TV using HDMI. Run a fiber optic digital audio cable straight from the X1 box to the Onkyo, bypassing the TV. It is the only way you will get 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.

FYI, I know this thread has gotten long but your answer is contained earlier in this thread...

@Glemieux wrote:

My mistake. The Onkyo does not have a HDMI PORT. Will this work....

Hdmi outbfrom X1 to hdmi in on Panasonic tv. Digital audio out from tv to Onkyo digital audio in?

Thanks for your help. 

New Poster

Thanks I will try what you said. 

New Poster

Worked!

Frequent Visitor

Rick,

Do you have any insight as to why there is still a problem with the X1 boxes and Yamaha receivers? My setup is this: X1 box (companion or DVR) HDMI to Yamaha RX-V667 and I get no video/audio. I can hook directly to my Panasonic PT-AE7000u projector and it works. The companion box only has HDMI and a USB port, so the optical cable solution will not work. This was all just installed last Friday (11/20/2015). The boxes also work going through my older Sony AV receiver, but not the Yamaha. I haven't seen a solution after having scowered through this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gold Problem Solver

If they are available in your area, swap out your Companion box for the new XG2. It has an optical output and seems to be a much better box.

@Stroker09 wrote:

Rick,

Do you have any insight as to why there is still a problem with the X1 boxes and Yamaha receivers? My setup is this: X1 box (companion or DVR) HDMI to Yamaha RX-V667 and I get no video/audio. I can hook directly to my Panasonic PT-AE7000u projector and it works. The companion box only has HDMI and a USB port, so the optical cable solution will not work. This was all just installed last Friday (11/20/2015). The boxes also work going through my older Sony AV receiver, but not the Yamaha. I haven't seen a solution after having scowered through this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Are there any known audio "dropout" or significant volume fluctuation issues with the new Arris V3 boxes?  I have the AX013AN - Arris XG1v3 model.

Arris is hooked up to my Denon AVR using HDMI.  Arris is set to surround and Denon shows that surround is being received.  Periodically, during programming, the audio almost drops out.  Basically, when someone is speaking, the audio will periodically get much quieter (i.e. in the middle of a sentence).  I wouldn't necessarily call it a full "dropout", but there is definitely a noticeably fluctuation.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

My Arris V3 works great. Yes, there is an occasional (less than once per day) audio hiccup but it is clear a network/broadcast issue.

Suggest you go into the diagnostic screens and see if you have any uncorrectable code words. That would indicate signal issues.

Does the display on your Denon change when the hiccup occurs?

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Are there any known audio "dropout" or significant volume fluctuation issues with the new Arris V3 boxes?  I have the AX013AN - Arris XG1v3 model.

Arris is hooked up to my Denon AVR using HDMI.  Arris is set to surround and Denon shows that surround is being received.  Periodically, during programming, the audio almost drops out.  Basically, when someone is speaking, the audio will periodically get much quieter (i.e. in the middle of a sentence).  I wouldn't necessarily call it a full "dropout", but there is definitely a noticeably fluctuation.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

My Arris V3 works great. Yes, there is an occasional (less than once per day) audio hiccup but it is clear a network/broadcast issue.

Suggest you go into the diagnostic screens and see if you have any uncorrectable code words. That would indicate signal issues.

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Thanks RickGr4.

1. No uncorrectable code words.  My signal strength is good (my numbers are roughly: 0 downstream, 37 SNR, 44 upstream)

2. Denon display never changes when the volume fluctuation occurs.  I've been watching for this carefully.

3. A couple of hours ago, I ran an optical audio cable to the Denon and set the Denon to use the optical input for audio instead of HDMI.  The volume fluctuations are still occuring however.  It's not a full dropout - it just gets noticeably quieter at times during speech, music in the show, etc.

Gold Problem Solver

Wish I could verify your issues but I can't. My Arris V3/Marantz receiver combo is working very well.

I have three suggestions:

1. Connect an antenna to your TV and see if OTA broadcasts do the same thing.
2. If you have additional X1 boxes in your house exchange their locations.
3. Consider the idea that you may have a bad box.

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Thanks RickGr4.

1. No uncorrectable code words.  My signal strength is good (my numbers are roughly: 0 downstream, 37 SNR, 44 upstream)

2. Denon display never changes when the volume fluctuation occurs.  I've been watching for this carefully.

3. A couple of hours ago, I ran an optical audio cable to the Denon and set the Denon to use the optical input for audio instead of HDMI.  The volume fluctuations are still occuring however.  It's not a full dropout - it just gets noticeably quieter at times during speech, music in the show, etc.

Regular Visitor

I have since swapped out to the Blue light DVD and all issues have been fixed big difference in sound quality is great.
Regular Contributor

i only wish comcast in ann arbor mi woudl give the blue light dvr - but NO - none is available EVER

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Wish I could verify your issues but I can't. My Arris V3/Marantz receiver combo is working very well.

I have three suggestions:

1. Connect an antenna to your TV and see if OTA broadcasts do the same thing.
2. If you have additional X1 boxes in your house exchange their locations.
3. Consider the idea that you may have a bad box.

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Thanks RickGr4.

Well, I replaced my AX013AN - Arris XG1v3 thinking that perhaps I may have a defective box (as you suggested RickGr4) and the new box (also an Arris XG1v3) is doing the same thing.

Here are some more details:

The audio hiccup is less than a second long and presents itself more like a very noticeable volume drop rather than a full audio dropout.  If I rewind the DVR and replay the programming, the hiccup never occurs again, so the problem does not seem to be in the source programming.  Something is breaking down with the communication between my X1 box and my receiver.

This issue started occurring when I received the new Arris X1 V3 box a few weeks ago.  I thought that my new X1 box might be defective so I requested a replacement and the replacement box is doing the same thing (the replacement is also an Arris V3).  I have replaced the HDMI cable and have also attempted to route the audio over an optical audio cable instead of HDMI and the problem persists regardless of if I am using HDMI or optical audio.

My X1 box is set to output surround sound and is connected to a Denon AVR.  The audio dropouts seem to happen a few times a day with these new Arris V3 boxes and the issue happens on multiple channels.  It seems that there must be some kind of a software issue that needs to be corrected for this model box.

How would I go about getting the right people at Comcast to look into this?
New Poster

Not sure whether to start a new topic or add to this one, but here it goes. Just switched to Comcast last week from directv and am still trying to sort out the X1's capabilities. One major issue for me right now is that it seems every show I record and playback is only sending Dolby 2.0 to my avr. Live TV will send the 5.1 signal no problem. I have an Arris ax013anm connected via hdmi to my onkyo receiver and the x1 is set to surround in audio setup. An example would be watching American Sniper or U2 Innocence and Experience while live on HBO I receive 5.1. I've dvr'd both those shows and when I play them back from the recorded show tab I get only Dolby 2.0. Is this normal? It may be a deal breaker for me as half the content I have time to watch is off the dvr.
Silver Problem Solver

I have had two Onkyo receivers connected to my X1 DVR.  I am able to get 5.1 from content that is broadcasted as 5.1, either live or from OnDemand.

I assume you are using the Onkyo display to tell whether it is receiving 5.1, like I do.

I just checked my recording of Big Bang Theory and my Onkyo showed it had received 5.1 and was outputting 5.1

Is there any chance the sources you mention were not HD?  I don't usually record HD sources.

My Onkyo is very accurate in determining the source.  I know some SD HBO channels are only 2.1.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I just bought a new Yamaha RX-V479 and connected it to my X1 Arris box.  I connected a Blue Ray DVD to the receiver and also my Apple TV box to the receiver.  I then connected my Samsung 63" to the receiver. Everything works great and I get surround sound to the receiver from the X1 box fine. 

But, then I connected from the X1 box to a HDMI splitter that gives hdmi in to hdmi and component out at the same time.  This is done so that I can pass component to my SlingBox. (The X1 has no component out connections) and then hdmi on to the receiver. The X1 box now will only send PCM audio to the receiver as th new splitter evidently is not EDID compatible and the X1 box sees it and not the receiver to determine what audio signal to send. 

At at this point I am not certain which way to go. 

1). Get an 1x2 hdmi splitter from X1 box to go to the component splitter and at same time feed hdmi to my receiver. Hopefully it will not see the splitter to make the determination of what audio to send from the X1 box. 

2). Get an opticle cable and run from X1 box to the receiver. Not sure if this will work as my receiver says it can use the sound for all HDMI inputs on the receiver. I don't want the audio from the X1 box being used for the other ports. There might be a way to pair the opticle to only 1 HDMI port just not sure. It will also be the hardest to try out as everything is in an enclosure and I will have to unhook everything just to get to the receiver to connect an opticle cable. 

3). Wait for Comcast to update the box so that you can force the surround sound even tho it doesn't detect compatibility (will probably never happen)

4). Just use the fake surround sound processor built into the receiver for programs from the X1 box. It works but I would prefer the straight thru setting to get what is actually being sent. 

Does any one know of a 1x2 HDMI splitter that might work?  It can't be switchable, it needs to take HDMI in and simultanouis give 2 HDMI out.  One for the receiver and one for the SlingBox without the X1 box thinking it is an audio device and sending PCM only. 

Frequent Visitor

Why would you need slingbox if you have X1??? Or am i missing something????

Sent from my iPhone
Regular Contributor

why?  becasue many of us are not offered cloud on x1 - thank you comcast

Silver Problem Solver

@skibumvt wrote:
Why would you need slingbox if you have X1??? Or am i missing something????

Sent from my iPhone

Slinkboxes can be used by a remote user to access X1 content.

Think of a student in college who can't watch his hometown baseball games.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Well I guess I will just use an opticle cable from X1 to receiver(I am pretty sure that I can use the opticle audio with the receiver HDMI port that I choose. I will just have to disconnect a lot of things to get to the plug. 

I did find an HDMI splitter that will probably work, but is a little too expensive for me. If anyone is interested here is the link. 

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

For almost $200, I can disconnect a few cables.  This splitter is pretty nice.  You can run 2 monitors from one source and get sound to both monitors, even I'd one monitor is 5.1 and the other is just stereo.  A normal splitter will default to the lowest common denominator and you would only get stereo to both monitors. 

New Poster

I have a new Marantz SR5010 with HDCP 2.2, which Marantz believes may be causing the compatibility issues I'm having with Comcast.  Whenever i change a channel, I lose audio entirely.  If I switch the HDMI cable to a new input, it works until i change channels again.  the box works just fine direct to a TV or via an older Yamaha receiver.  Any suggestions?  All other input sources (XBOX, New gen Apple TV, DVD) work just fine.  Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Make sure that  The SAP setting is off. I had the same problem and comcast had no idea as to why I could no get any audio on some channels. So i had figure it out for myself. If the SAP is on, most of the stations have no (second audio program) SAP. therefore you have no audio.

Hope It will help. 

New Poster

Xfintity Box Not Working With Our Surround Sound Anymore

January 1st we watched TV Family Rm and only returned on the 9th.  No surround sound now.  And even though we are just using the 'regular' sound, the box has 'rebooted' on its own in the middle of a program.  Also, at another time 1 channel (we were watching) just switched to Spanish.  All the other channels were in English.  A couple of hours later, another channel we were watching just switched to Spanish.  The 'language' issue was checked both times, and it was listed in 'English'.  These were playoff games we were watching, not an obsure channel.  We have called Comcast with every issue listed.  I just want to make sure you know it's not us.  And if you have an easy way to rehook-up our surround sound so that it will 'take' on the tv/sound.  All wiring is perfectly plugged in, the box/tv is not recognizing the surround sound.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfintity Box Not Working With Our Surround Sound Anymore

@TVExperience wrote:

January 1st we watched TV Family Rm and only returned on the 9th.  No surround sound now.  And even though we are just using the 'regular' sound, the box has 'rebooted' on its own in the middle of a program.  Also, at another time 1 channel (we were watching) just switched to Spanish.  All the other channels were in English.  A couple of hours later, another channel we were watching just switched to Spanish.  The 'language' issue was checked both times, and it was listed in 'English'.  These were playoff games we were watching, not an obsure channel.  We have called Comcast with every issue listed.  I just want to make sure you know it's not us.  And if you have an easy way to rehook-up our surround sound so that it will 'take' on the tv/sound.  All wiring is perfectly plugged in, the box/tv is not recognizing the surround sound.

This sounds like a "rogue" remote.  Is it paired to your box?

Also, you can reset and re-pair it to your box.

Try a new set of batteries.

Did you check the Settings (gear icon) for Surround?

New Poster

Remote control not turning Yamaha receiver on an off

Power of Yamaha receiver the 5650 does not work but volume does.

Please help

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Remote control not turning Yamaha receiver on an off

@Johnpbutler12 wrote:

Please help

See if this helps:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/m-p/2550616#M73148

Frequent Visitor

Yamaha receivers have one key for on and one for off . You  may not be able to use the Xfinity remote  with the Yamaha receiver for on and off function..

New Poster

New to this forum. I just upgraded to X-1 system yesterday.(Comcast install) I am getting audio drops of 1-3 seconds on 2 of my TVs. The set top box for these TVs are the xi3 small boxes. Box to TV connection is a 3ft HDMI cable.

Any ideas on how to fix problem?   

Thanks for your help.

Expert

@mdvpcb wrote:

New to this forum. I just upgraded to X-1 system yesterday.(Comcast install) I am getting audio drops of 1-3 seconds on 2 of my TVs. The set top box for these TVs are the xi3 small boxes. Box to TV connection is a 3ft HDMI cable.

Thanks for your help.

Xi3 boxes rely on the DVR's tuner and the MOCA transmission on the cable lines within your residence.  If the signal levels to the DVR are not great, this can cause the DVR's tuners to forward the issue to the Xi3s....  If this was a self-install, can you go into your diagnostic settings and look at SNR, downstream power and upstream power?  ALso post the MOCA rates between the boxes ( use the DVR for the System diagnostics )....

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

@mdvpcb wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Hi mdvpcb.  I see you have several boxes on your account.  Can you please tell me which of the boxes you're hearing audio drop outs from?  Thank you!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

@Johnpbutler12 wrote:

Please help

johnpbutler12 you have an older version of the XR11 remote.  I will send you two new ones with updated support for 3rd party devices.  Soon, all XR11 remotes will automatically update their software to support these additional devices, but in the mean time, these two remotes will work for you.  If you have troubles, use the codes below for setup of your Yamaha:

Most likely code
Others to try
32021, 31947, 31276, 32061, 32458, 31948, 30376, 32467, 31815, 31176, 30354, 31331, 33333, 32471, 30186

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Frequent Visitor

Thats a really nice thing to do Andrew.

Sent from my iPhone
Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

Soon, all XR11 remotes will automatically update their software to support these additional devices

Good to know that remote changes are coming.  Thanks Neal.

Frequent Visitor

XR2 Remote and Yamaha RV379 a/v Receiver

I tried using all the published codes for Yamaha to get the XR2 remote to turn the power on and off of a new Yamaha RV379 a/v receiver.  Although the remote will control the voume, I can't get it to control the a/v receiver power.  Also, I can't go through set up using code 992 to try and manually get the a/v receiver to turn off or on. When I press setup and then enter 992 it does not blink green twice like it's supposed to. It blinks red then green. Any suggestions?

Regular Visitor

Having an issue with getting my box to output surround to a Denon X3200W receiver.  Box has a blue power light.  I've disabled HDMI handshake and swapped an optical cable in.  I still cannot get my cable box to stick with Surround (it always reverts back to Stereo).  Any thoughts?

Gold Problem Solver

Read post 393 in this thread.... It is still current information...

@Topspin14m wrote:

Having an issue with getting my box to output surround to a Denon X3200W receiver.  Box has a blue power light.  I've disabled HDMI handshake and swapped an optical cable in.  I still cannot get my cable box to stick with Surround (it always reverts back to Stereo).  Any thoughts?

Regular Visitor

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

Solved my issue -- checked from the receiver and it is receiving a 5.1 signal now -- cable box just is saying it's outputting stereo.  They really should just let you easily select optical or HDMI in the firmware so people don't get confused (assuming they won't fix the passthrough issue they've had for 2 years).

Valued Contributor

@Topspin14m wrote:

Solved my issue -- checked from the receiver and it is receiving a 5.1 signal now -- cable box just is saying it's outputting stereo.  They really should just let you easily select optical or HDMI in the firmware so people don't get confused (assuming they won't fix the passthrough issue they've had for 2 years).

This change in the UI is coming soon.  Right now we passthrough audio over optical.  If it comes through in stereo, it goes out over optical in stereo.  5.1?  Out 5.1.  The audio screen clearly says "HDMI Audio Output" and that is what will change from stereo to surround...only HDMI as it says.  Soon, we will have a new line that says, "Optical Audio Output" and the user will be able to change that setting there, separate from HDMI.  HDMI passthrough is also coming soon so we can start to support ATMOS content.

Gold Problem Solver

This is long overdue but nonetheless it is very good news. I suspect it will eliminate a great deal of confusion (along with repetitive and duplicate posts in the forum)...

Thanks Neal!!!

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@Topspin14m wrote:

This change in the UI is coming soon.  Right now we passthrough audio over optical.  If it comes through in stereo, it goes out over optical in stereo.  5.1?  Out 5.1.  The audio screen clearly says "HDMI Audio Output" and that is what will change from stereo to surround...only HDMI as it says.  Soon, we will have a new line that says, "Optical Audio Output" and the user will be able to change that setting there, separate from HDMI.  HDMI passthrough is also coming soon so we can start to support ATMOS content.

Silver Problem Solver

YAY!  That's great news.

Frequent Visitor

Xi audio installation

I've just received my X1 boxes and hooked them up. I noticed the main box has RCA audio connection but the set top box does not. I am looking to hook an audio system to the set top box to play music when the TV is not on. I was able to do this with the older cable box. I'm able to do this on the main box but not the 2d set top box. Is there a set top box with RCA connection? Any other idea anyone has?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xi audio installation

What is "main box" and what is "set top box"?

I have an a/v receiver that I use to listen to music.  What do you have?

Frequent Visitor

You can buy a small converter for about $30  form Amazon that will convert the HDMI imput to RCA outputs.You plug the HDMI output from the Xi3 Box to the converter and the HDMI output to your tv and the RCA audio out to your reciever.That is what i did. It works great. 

Frequent Visitor

I was given two boxes. One is the"main box" which is the DVR etc. This has RCA style audio plugs that allow me to hook up directly to an amp in order to listen to music etc. without having the TV on.

The second box I received was called set top box. It is a small 7 inch box that has a cable in and cable and hdmi out. No RCA type of audio plugs. Therefore I can not hook my second stereo system to the box and listen to music without the TV being on. 

With the previous Xfinity boxes "non X1" there was RCA audio plugs on all boxes.

My question is doex Xfinity have a set top box other than the main DVR box that has audio output availablity?

Gold Problem Solver

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

@rods45 wrote:

I was given two boxes. One is the"main box" which is the DVR etc. This has RCA style audio plugs that allow me to hook up directly to an amp in order to listen to music etc. without having the TV on.

The second box I received was called set top box. It is a small 7 inch box that has a cable in and cable and hdmi out. No RCA type of audio plugs. Therefore I can not hook my second stereo system to the box and listen to music without the TV being on. 

With the previous Xfinity boxes "non X1" there was RCA audio plugs on all boxes.

My question is doex Xfinity have a set top box other than the main DVR box that has audio output availablity?

Frequent Visitor

The set top box is called XiD box which is similar to X13 with coax out long with hdmi