Community Forum

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

What a joke. The Michigan Comcast offices have zero customer service skills it is worthless asking them to swap boxes. I have tried before and all yet say is ah we don't know do you want to pay your bill. What a disgrace
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Advising me to go to the comcast office is equlivant to talking to another planet!!!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Rick - thanks for the reply.  Both of my DVR are newer Pace boxes with the blue lights.

 

I live in Elgin, IL. (Suburban Chicago)  Do you know if Comcast uses Arris boxes in this Area? Also have users reported the ablility to override the auto detect on Arris Boxes?  If so, I'd go to the trouble of changing it out.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

There is no way to know which boxes are used where other than walking into a location. I was told by someone who is in a position to know that Comcast will not turn off auto detection. It's part of their effort to "foolproof" X1. The ability to bypass auto detection is news to me. Care to quote your source on that???


@smith399 wrote:

Rick - thanks for the reply.  Both of my DVR are newer Pace boxes with the blue lights.

 

I live in Elgin, IL. (Suburban Chicago)  Do you know if Comcast uses Arris boxes in this Area? Also have users reported the ablility to override the auto detect on Arris Boxes?  If so, I'd go to the trouble of changing it out.





Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I did not have a source that they could over-ride auto detect... I was asking IF Arris users could over-ride that setting. The older Motorola DVRs allowed this, and worked fine.

 

I do understand trying to fool-proof to some degree, but having the ability to force dolby digital would be an addition that could solve many issues with users set ups.  I'm also not holding my breath.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

None of the X1 DVR models has the ability to override DD like the RNG200.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

A Success Story (sort of)  fixing #1Surround Sound

After more than 2 years of blah blah, I have surround sound, and it is good, though still not perfect.

My Hardware Configuration:

Pace DVR (greenie): PX001ANM_2.02p12s1 Running xappl-XRE.55P5 Server: 1.55.05 7/30/2015 using HDMI out =>

HDMI in => GEFEN EXT-HD-EDIDPN HDMI Detective Plus (~$120 Amazon) HDMI Detective Plus is an in-line HDMI device that can capture and spoof EDIDs.   HDMI out =>

HDMI in => LG-55lw5600ua TV – Audio TOSLink optical out +>

TOSLink in => Onkyo HT-R560 AV Receiver (7+1)

Note: 3 years ago, I had a Motorola DCH3416 STB connected via HDMI to the same TV connected to the same Onkyo receiver via TOSLink and the surround worked flawlessly.

Experimental Method:

Using the Gefen Syner-G software (PC to USB to Detective Plus) I captured the EDID of the LG-TV, then configured Detective Plus to show a variety of modified EDIDs to the Pace STB, noting the type of input received by the Onkyo.. 

Experimental Data:

HDMI Detective Plus, reported that the EDID of my LG TV showed only one SAD (Short Audio Descriptor) which was “Linear PCM 2 channel” with two speakers.  The LG-55lw5600ua  has two built in speakers.

 

Key to Abbreviations: 

Linear PCM 2 channel (stereo) 48khz = LPCM2

Linear PCM 8 channel = LPCM8

Dolby Digital 5+1 (Surround) = AC3

Dolby Digital+=DD+

Surround protocol, but only Front L+R channels have signal = SurroundLR

Cannot save Surround Sound setting on X1 menu= X1NoSS

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Source   + TV EDIDs    + Receiver In + Speaker Out| Box Setting |

---------|-------------|--------------------------------------------

Stereo   | LPCM2       | LPCM2       | Stereo     | X1NoSS

Surround | LPCM2       | LPCM2       | Stereo     | X1NoSS

Stereo   | LPCM2 + AC3 | LPCM2       | Stereo     | X1NoSS

Surround | LPCM2 + AC3 | LPCM2       | Stereo     | X1NoSS

Stereo   | AC3         | AC3         | SurroundLR |Surround

Surround | AC3         | Surround    | Surround   |Surround

 

There are many other data points which can be summarized as “all EDIDs except AC3 and LPCM2 are ignored by X1”.

 

Analysis:

I am currently running withHDMI Detective presenting only an AC3 EDID.  When the program source has surround, I get surround, and when it does not, I get front left and right (but not center) from the speakers.  The failure to recognize AC3 when the AC3 EDID audio descriptor is paired with LPCM2 SAD means that with my current firmware any device that advertises that it will accept LPCM2 is stuck in stereo regardless of additional advertised capabilities.  Since the firmware appears to ignore any audio EDID other than LPCM2 and AC3, devices that represent themselves as a higher level such as LPCM8 channel or Dolby Digital + 8 channel will default to LPCM2 stereo output.

Conclusions:

The Gefen HDMI Detective Plus is a useful gadget that has given me a look into the facts of my situation.  Since my X1 box steadfastly refuses to output AC3 whenever it detects ANY LPCM2 in the EDID I remain short of my ultimate goal of being able to have my Onkyo provide true surround when available and to auto sensing and expand LPCM2 stereo to pseudo surround via Dolby PLIIx.  The receiver could do this trick if the X1 box switched from LPCM2 to AC3 depending on program source as has been suggested in other postings.  Given the speed and accuracy with which this self inflicted problem has been addressed, I am not optimistic.  

For those that really want surround now, the Gefen can do it for ~$120.  The device requires power to program it, but operates from HDMI power in normal operation, and will present the EDID that you want even if the TV (or receiver) is powered off.  The device does what I needed.  I should mention that I tried the similar ConnectPro device (half the price), but it was programmable only by dipswitch, and did not provide the capability required to fool the X1.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I did not read this thoroughly but I think you may have done an awful lot of work that could have been prevented buy swapping the Pace greenie (well known to have surround audio problems) with an Arris made X1 DVR (well known to solve surround audio problems for a vast majority of people).

Thanks for the info but I am fairly sure it only applies to people with Pace greenies....
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

As a reference point, I have a Pace greenine outputting to an Onkyo TX-NR626, which outputs to a Samsung 3D LED 60" TV.  

 

Since Comcast did their last fix of the "audio switch to stereo " issue, I have never had to "toggle" my greenie's sound.

 

As far as I am concerned, Comcast's Pace X1 greenie does not have the issue any more.

 

It's now working like my SA 8300 and RNG200 DVR's did.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

To add to what Robert said, at one point the Pace greenie certainly DID have the surround problem you are discussing. But I was under the impression that STB (firmware) updates had solved it a while back.

At this point in time, my Arris DVR works PERFECTLY with my 1.5 year old Marantz receiver in all situations and conditions and has for some time...

Knock on wood but it works quite well.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

To add to what Robert and Rick have said - my 3 Pace greenies have no audio problems any longer.  Two are connected to Sony receivers and one to a Bose receiver.  

 

In fact I have no X1 isues at all.  Life with Xfinity is good (currently).

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Life with my Xfinity WAS good, until someone started mucking with it.  I have a friend in Clear Lake who has been having the same issues.  Around 11PM, everything freezes and I lose all services.

 

Things have been quiet this week, so maybe the worst is over.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


@RobertWy wrote:

Life with my Xfinity WAS good, until someone started mucking with it.  I have a friend in Clear Lake who has been having the same issues.  Around 11PM, everything freezes and I lose all services.

 

Things have been quiet this week, so maybe the worst is over.


Fortunately nobody's mucking around here - at the moment.  All is stable and operating as promised.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Little trick for folks with a setup like me, I have an older audio receiver that does not support HDMI as an input, so I run the HDMI signal to my TV first and then pipe the audio back to the Audio receiver with an optical cable.  and I have the greenie box, my local office refuses to,switch it out (it is a secondary box in my house I have two rooms with surround sound and the DVR box is in the better newer room).

 

i tried many different combination to get surround working including using the optical out on the cable box, unfortunately if you are using HDMI it will all way preference what the HDMI is telling it to do, and I wasn't going to use composite cables and change the input on the TV and a bunch of other nonsense to make this work.  (since the TV only has stereo speakers and not telling the greenie it is doing a passthrough to a surround capable device, so the greenie always set to stereo when using HDMI)

 

what I did to make this work flawless all the time....

i added a J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter, between the greenie and my TV.  I don't even use the splitter, I just run the HDMI fro the box to the converter to the TV, since the converter tells the greenie that it is surround capable, it tricks the greenie into sending a suround sound out signal  on the HDMI cable which my TV happily passes on to my receiver via the optical out.  ridiculus, but Problem solved.

 

and less complicated and way cheaper the the other suggestion above,  this little gadget runs about $30 usually.  This allows me to hookup my greenie the way I hook up all my other devices to my tv without the antics.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


@Shallowearth1 wrote:

Little trick for folks with a setup like me, I have an older audio receiver that does not support HDMI as an input, so I run the HDMI signal to my TV first and then pipe the audio back to the Audio receiver with an optical cable.  and I have the greenie box, my local office refuses to,switch it out (it is a secondary box in my house I have two rooms with surround sound and the DVR box is in the better newer room).

 

i tried many different combination to get surround working including using the optical out on the cable box, unfortunately if you are using HDMI it will all way preference what the HDMI is telling it to do, and I wasn't going to use composite cables and change the input on the TV and a bunch of other nonsense to make this work.  (since the TV only has stereo speakers and not telling the greenie it is doing a passthrough to a surround capable device, so the greenie always set to stereo when using HDMI)

 

what I did to make this work flawless all the time....

i added a J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter, between the greenie and my TV.  I don't even use the splitter, I just run the HDMI fro the box to the converter to the TV, since the converter tells the greenie that it is surround capable, it tricks the greenie into sending a suround sound out signal  on the HDMI cable which my TV happily passes on to my receiver via the optical out.  ridiculus, but Problem solved.

 

and less complicated and way cheaper the the other suggestion above,  this little gadget runs about $30 usually.  This allows me to hookup my greenie the way I hook up all my other devices to my tv without the antics.


I have an older Sony receiver that does not support HDMI - I simply ran HDMI from my X1 greenie to my Panny HDTV and optical from my greenie X1 to my receiver.  Works perfectly.  

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Yes, I tried that but was still giving me trouble, even though I was disabling the speakers on the TV it was still reporting Stereo to the greenie and not allowing a suround  signal to go out (could be latest update fix that), however that is still less than ideal for me, it means I now have to both switch the audio Input and the TV input every time I go from the Xbox to the X1 and back, instead of just switching the TV input.  That means more complexity on the macros on the remote and one more thing to go wrong when switching between them, and one more chance for the kids to complain that's he picture is on the sound is not (or playing something else or vice versa).  The splitter let me keep the setup much simple when switching between devices, so much less chance for human error when interaction with all the devices hooked up to the system which equals a happy family.

 

now if they would just boost the audio in general from these boxes.  It is killer going from the X1 to the Xbox and having your ear drums blasted out because the sound level of the X1 boxes is so low to co paired to everything else.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 I did the same on other room from my XI3 little box. The prblem is  the XI3 does not output 5.1 dolby. Only stereo. It does not matter.I only use it for music in my kitchen speakers.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

This is an update to my previous post where I described using a GEFEN EXT-HD-EDIDPN HDMI Detective Plus to "fool" my X1 greenie into thinking that the TV had surround.  Because I was experiencing erratic behavior with recordings spontaneously jumping back to the start, and some display artifacts, I exchanged my greenie for a new Arris blue.  With the same version of firmware (1.55.02) the greenie showed none of the recording and display issues.

More important for audio, the Arris MX011AN_2.1 correctly feeds my TV left center and right channels for non-surround programs, and surround when available.  The greenie did not provide a center channel for stereo programming.  Overall, the upgrade from greenie to Arris blue was worth the effort for me.  The arris blue still cannot be override set to surround without a GEFEN Detective Plus or equivalent.  I encourage Comcast to re-think this feature and provide a three way choice of [Auto, stereo, surround].  If you choose stereo or surround, it should stick and give it to you.

Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Hows that slo-motion working for ya...lol

 

old legacy dvrs worked great, now, not so much

New Poster

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 Hi all,

 

I've read this entire forum and found everyone's input to be extremely valuable. I was hoping to get your advice. I currently have the arris dvr, ps4, and an apple tv. I'm planning to connect all 3 to an optical cable switcher, and then have the optical cable swticher connected directly to my reciever to get surround sound. All 3 will be hooked via HDMI for video to our samsung tv. I was originally planning to connect the tv directly to the receiver for sound for the native apps (netflix, hulu, amazon, etc). However, since the optical input is now taken by the optical cable switcher, would my best option be to connect the samsung tv via HDMI to the receiver to get surround sound from the native apps?

 

Thanks everyone!

Jin

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

If I were you I would try different things until I got it to work the way I wanted.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

In my experience (samsung w/internal apps) the only way to get surround is via the samsung optical output. The samsung HDMI output will only provide stereo. Why not HDMI all the other components to the receiver and use the receiver to switch from one to the other and then you would have the receivers optical input for the samsung. Thats how i got it all to work. If your trying to make it all work by just having to maybe push one button, i would suggest a Harmony universal remote. Now i have just one button in place of the cable box remote, the samsung remote, the receiver remote. etc..... to deal with when i want to do something different. My wife loves the harmony. Prior she had to call me to hit all the different remotes when she wanted to do something.

Sent from my iPhone
New Poster

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Super helpful, thank you! I'll def try it this way!

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I have been having Issue 1 for too long and finally decided to see if I could get this problem solved to get the best sound from my Surround sound HTS
My issue is 1 I select Surround and it reverts back to Stereo (PCM)
“An audio mode selected under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode is not ‘sticking’ or ‘holding’ to a user’s selection in the X1 UI.”
My X1 DVR Box is a XG1-P Release Version : xappl-XRE.57P3 XRE Server Version: 1.57.0309/28/2015 15:06 XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0
Receiver : Native Version: 2.1.0 NOT sure what all these numbers mean but hope the help. My TV is a LG MODEL 60LN5710-UB. SURROUND SOUND HTS IS A SAMSUNG HT-F6500W
It's hooked up as follows From The TV is hooked up to the Samsung HTS HDMI Out to the TV'HDMI In Labeled HDMI IN 1 (ARC) and the X1 box is connected to the HDMI in Labeled HDMI IN 2 on the TV their is Also a spare HDMI in 3 Labeled HDMI in 3 (MHL) which is not being used at this time. The X1 DVR XG1-P box is connected via HDMI to the TV from the HDMI HD to TV.
Please hope you can help me I know this post is old but I'm ganna give it a try.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Funny that you posted this in the correct thread but it appears you did not read this thread. Your answers are contained within this thread.

Your current connection probably is not going to work because your X1 box is auto detecting your Samsung TV as a stereo TV which is why your X1 box is "sticking" in stereo.

Hopefully your Samsung surround sound unit has a TOSLINK digital audio input. You need to connect a fiber optic cable from the X1 box to your surround sound unit. The X1 box will still appear to "stick" in stereo but the output on the digital audio cable can be changed to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

FYI, if you have the original Pace DVR with the green power light you are probably going to want to swap it out for one of the newer blur light DVRs (also mentioned often in this thread)...

 


@Peteypablo wrote:
I have been having Issue 1 for too long and finally decided to see if I could get this problem solved to get the best sound from my Surround sound HTS
My issue is 1 I select Surround and it reverts back to Stereo (PCM)
“An audio mode selected under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode is not ‘sticking’ or ‘holding’ to a user’s selection in the X1 UI.”
My X1 DVR Box is a XG1-P Release Version : xappl-XRE.57P3 XRE Server Version: 1.57.0309/28/2015 15:06 XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0
Receiver : Native Version: 2.1.0 NOT sure what all these numbers mean but hope the help. My TV is a LG MODEL 60LN5710-UB. SURROUND SOUND HTS IS A SAMSUNG HT-F6500W
It's hooked up as follows From The TV is hooked up to the Samsung HTS HDMI Out to the TV'HDMI In Labeled HDMI IN 1 (ARC) and the X1 box is connected to the HDMI in Labeled HDMI IN 2 on the TV their is Also a spare HDMI in 3 Labeled HDMI in 3 (MHL) which is not being used at this time. The X1 DVR XG1-P box is connected via HDMI to the TV from the HDMI HD to TV.
Please hope you can help me I know this post is old but I'm ganna give it a try.




Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Rick - your answer is greatly appreciated - but as a correction - at least in Michigan - Comcast will not - swap green light x1 boxes for blue - they flat out refuse to saying they do not have any and do not expect to get any - sorry

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Applehazar-- was this at the Comcast store? They don't carry any X1 boxes around the Midwest as far as I know, but you can request a self install kit be sent to your address and that will most certainly be a new box (Comcast stopped purchasing those old ones over a year ago) then you can return your old one to the store.
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

If you want a quick/easy fix while trying to sort out getting a new box from Comcast (for the non-DVR model I have yet to convince them they must swap out my box).  Pick up one of these and an extra HDMI cable:   J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter,

 

Plug your cable box into the Extractor, then run the  second HDMI cable from the Extractor to the TV.  Set the Audio to on the Converter to Suround Sound and you are good to go.  It tells the cable box specifically that suround sound is supported and will force the setting to stick.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

this was at the ann arbor comcast customer service location - main office - they told me teh only available units in michigan was green lit x1 boxes -  it works ok - if i unplug it at least twice a week 

Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


@applehazar wrote:

Rick - your answer is greatly appreciated - but as a correction - at least in Michigan - Comcast will not - swap green light x1 boxes for blue - they flat out refuse to saying they do not have any and do not expect to get any - sorry


http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-Capabilities-Expanded/td-p/2555796 gives you directions on how to get swapped out, you may have to read it to them at the number in that post or to the online chat person.

 

If you are hooked up using component cables it is likely that new box won't have component cable connections only HDMI. You will lose all recordings not yet watched.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Thank you @applehazar and everyone else. One question I do have The Green Light DVR is their any Pros or cons About asking for a swap? Is the a model I should ask for or one I should ask them Not to give? I did go to the comcast Store locally I'm in Hayward California and they wanted Nothing to do with me other than take My money for a payment lol they just gave me a customer service number . And yes my HTS does have a Digital imput output and I will look into getting this Fiber optic cable Is their one Optical Cable which is better than others? Thanks again for your time and help.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I have the first greenie DVR.  But I use HDMI from the DVR to my a/v receiver and HDMI from my receiver to my TV.

 

I would lose all my recordings if I swapped my DVR for a newer one.

 

Depending on the Comcast store (yours sounds like the old type store) you should be able to get any newer one that might not have any audio issues.

 

All optical cables should work, as long as you get it at someplace like BestBuy rather than Walmart or Target.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


@Peteypablo wrote:
@thank you @applehazar and everyone else. One question I do have The Green Light DVR is their any Pros or cons About asking for a swap? Is the a model I should ask for or one I should ask them Not to give? I did go to the comcast Store locally I'm in Hayward California and they wanted Nothing to do with me other than take My money for a payment lol they just gave me a customer service number . And yes my HTS does have a Digital imput output and I will look into getting this Fiber optic cable Is their one Optical Cable which is better than others? Thanks again for your time and help.

did you see my post right above your last one?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Note that on mine (have the greenie cable box (non-DVR box)) the Optical Cable trick would not work.  If I had both the HDMI and the Optical Cable plugged into the cable box, it would still Use the HDMI cable to negociate down to stereo.... super frustrating!  If you want to use an optical cable, also get the converter, you can run your optical Cable from there instead of the  plugging it directly into the Greenie and again, force the check to suround sound.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I swapped out my greenie for a new bluee Motorola in Ann Arbor, MI at the beginning of September 2015.  I did this by calling Xfinity customer service and complaining that my dvr was defective.  They wanted to send a self install kit, but I insisted on a service person to install it.  They said that would be an extra $50 for the service call.  I countered with a request that they waive the service call fee.  They agreed, and when the service guy came, he had new blue boxes on the truck. 

 

Even when using the HDMI detective to present the greenie with 5.1 capable signals, when dealing with "stereo" programming, the greenie would only provide front left and front right to my surround sound Onkyo, whereas the bluee provides left front CENTER and right front, which is a considerable improvement.  In addition, I was having problems with the greenie DVR writing bad blocks that would jump back to the beginning of programs.  In addition the greenie had some display artifacts in the program guide.  All of these problems were fixed with the bluee.

New Poster

Audio PCM code on the new X1 Xfinity cable box

I just installed the new X1 Xfinity cable boxes (2) in my house and came across a problem that the Comcast tech (who was excellent) detected.  It seems that the cable box does not put out an audio code of PCM, but something else that my Samsung 4K TV doesn't recognize. 

 

Can someone tell me if this could just be a problem with my cable box, or is it a universal problem with all of the new Xfinity cable boxes???

 

Fortunately, I have a 5.1 external sound system that works great from the optical output of the cable box.  But, I cannot get the TV speakers to sound if I ever want to use them.

 

thanks,

Mike

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Audio PCM code on the new X1 Xfinity cable box

I have my X1 DVR connected with HDMI to my Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver.  The receiver is coonnected to my TV with HDMI.

 

I have never had a need to hear my DVR with my TV speakers.  They can only accept a 2..1 sound.  My receiver accepts 5.1 from the DVR and I get 5.1 output.

 

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would ever want to listen to their DVR with TV speakers.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Audio PCM code on the new X1 Xfinity cable box

There must be an audio setting in the TV itself causing this...
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Ok guys just got off the phone with customer service they will send a technician out Tomorrow to swap my box out So excited I'm hoping to have Surround Sound by this weekend Smiley Happy
New Poster

surond sound

I have a pioneer R/V RX-A740 and I connot ge suround sound to function using the comcast codes 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: surond sound

Your post is unclear and not easy to understand. I am guessing that you have a Pioneer receiver and you are trying to get a Comcast remote to control it. Correct?

FYI, that sounds like a Yamaha model number not Pioneer...

Have you been here: https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/

Have you read this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/m-p/2550616#M73148

Have you read this: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinityremotecontrols/


@gscavoni wrote:

I have a pioneer R/V RX-A740 and I connot ge suround sound to function using the comcast codes 







Silver Problem Solver

Re: surond sound


@gscavoni wrote:

I have a pioneer R/V RX-A740 and I connot ge suround sound to function using the comcast codes 


Taking you literally, I think you are not getting surround sound with your receiver.

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-settings-index/

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-audio-output

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-audio-output#audiomode


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

audio/video synchronization

Sound synchronization is really bad on 103 (ion). It is upwards of a second on certain playback. SInce I have XI, the recording isn't kept on my equipment. I think that Comcast isn't paying attention to the quality of their recordings.What can I do to stimulate them to fix this?

New Poster

Re: X1 Factory Reset

Wondering if anyone has had my issue:
I have hdmi to TV and optical audio to my surround sound system. Suddenly, the sound no longer works and in the audio menu there is no longer an option for external audio. When I go into the diagnostic screen, it appears it doesn't even see the sound card for optical/Toslink. I would think this is a one-off but they've already replaced my X1 box for the same issue. My use is normal and I turn it on one day, the sound cuts out then nothing out of the surround sound. It works fine with the port on other machines, and the only apparent issue is the box itself. It doesn't present audio external options when it used to. I have restarted and changed cables and gone through as much as I could. I feel as though a factory reset would be my best bet to make it work again.

Any help would be appreciated. The last techs on the phone couldn't help and neither could the tech in person--he just gave me a new box and it is doing it again.
Expert

Re: X1 Factory Reset


@Frankieseamus wrote:
Wondering if anyone has had my issue:
I have hdmi to TV and optical audio to my surround sound system. Suddenly, the sound no longer works and in the audio menu there is no longer an option for external audio. When I go into the diagnostic screen, it appears it doesn't even see the sound card for optical/Toslink. I would think this is a one-off but they've already replaced my X1 box for the same issue. My use is normal and I turn it on one day, the sound cuts out then nothing out of the surround sound. It works fine with the port on other machines, and the only apparent issue is the box itself. It doesn't present audio external options when it used to. I have restarted and changed cables and gone through as much as I could. I feel as though a factory reset would be my best bet to make it work again.

Any help would be appreciated. The last techs on the phone couldn't help and neither could the tech in person--he just gave me a new box and it is doing it again.

If HDMI is hooked up to a TV input, using the TV's actual remote, turn up the television sound. have sound then? If so, will be necessary to check out the receiver. If still no sound try swapping ends of the HDMI cable that goes from the X1 set top box to the television (this will change stress points as well as cleaning the contacts by the removal/insertion of the connectors. Let us know. (If unsuccessful - no sound - in test above try also unplugging the toslink cable and see if TV should works).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Audio Interrupt

For about the past three months I have been experiencing a audio skip. The skip is a second long and occurs infrequently but it does occur.  After numerous calls to Reps, three new X1 boxes and two service calls -- the condition still exists.  It can take an hour between skips and sometimes less than 10 minutes.  It is annoying. 

 

The last service rep told me he was going to elevate the issue.  He requested that I send him an email.  I sent him several emails and called him.  He advised me that the case was sent to management.  Over a week and nothing has been heard.  

 

I have read where others have experienced this issue.  My picture is fine and there is no vido interrupt.  This only occurs on the DVR box.  I have several other boxes - NO ISSUE.  He is an additional note - If I playback after a skip - the skip goes away.

 

Anything would be appreciated.  Next week I am going to call and request a call from management. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Audio Interrupt

Any chance your X1 DVR has a green power light???


@Alnap wrote:

For about the past three months I have been experiencing a audio skip. The skip is a second long and occurs infrequently but it does occur.  After numerous calls to Reps, three new X1 boxes and two service calls -- the condition still exists.  It can take an hour between skips and sometimes less than 10 minutes.  It is annoying. 

 

The last service rep told me he was going to elevate the issue.  He requested that I send him an email.  I sent him several emails and called him.  He advised me that the case was sent to management.  Over a week and nothing has been heard.  

 

I have read where others have experienced this issue.  My picture is fine and there is no vido interrupt.  This only occurs on the DVR box.  I have several other boxes - NO ISSUE.  He is an additional note - If I playback after a skip - the skip goes away.

 

Anything would be appreciated.  Next week I am going to call and request a call from management. 





Expert

Re: Audio Interrupt

good point rick, or maybe using a blue tooth connected sound bar?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Audio Interrupt


@Rustyben wrote:

good point rick, or maybe using a blue tooth connected sound bar?


Oh!!  I never thought to ask THAT question!


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Audio Interrupt

I was having a similar issue with one f my TVs (with the audio skipping), turned out to be a bug in the firmware of the TV. I called LG and they sent me a SD Card to update the TVs firmware and the skip went away.

 

if your TV can connect to the internet you might try doing a update on the software if available.  If not I would call your TV manufacturer, and see if they have a way to up date the firmware on the TV (usually it can be done with a SD Card or USB stick these days.