Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Sound issue with X1

ComcastKenF,

Considering the audio drop out problem (in one form or another) is now roughly four years old, maybe you could provide us some more information on the errors you are seeing, the tests you are running, the signals you are sending and the results you looking for...???
Official Employee

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Hey asmarks, did you notice any improvement last night? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for spending some time working on this for us! Because of my work schedule I will not be home to check things out until Wednesday evening. NHL Playoffs Game 7 doubleheader!!! Will be glued to TV tonight and will post this evening. Thanks again!

Official Employee

Sure thing, Steveromo! I'll be watching too! Looking forward to your post! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Hi Ken. Wanted to let you know that I did hear audio drops tonight, BUT not nearly as frequent as in the past (maybe 5 times over 4 hours instead of once every 10 minutes!) so definitely improvement. Will follow up in a few days to let you know if this changes. Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated!! P.S. What did you do?
Official Employee

This is awesome news Steveromo! Yeah, definitely let me know if you see any changes. I'll check in with you in a few days. 

I did a little bit of magic, no big deal (ran a few diagnostics and sent specific signals to the sound card of the X1 box). I'll check in with you soon. 

Contributor

Yes, connected via HDMI.  It happens any time of the day.  Happened twice the night before last and twice this morning.

Regular Contributor

Hello Ken. I wanted to let you know that the audio dropouts are back in the same manner they were before. For one night - the night you did your diagnostics - they were reduced. But now they're just as they were before. Thanks for spending time trying to fix. I appreciate the effort, and I am hopeful that this will be fixed someday.

Regular Contributor

@Steveromo wrote:

Hello Ken. I wanted to let you know that the audio dropouts are back in the same manner they were before. For one night - the night you did your diagnostics - they were reduced. But now they're just as they were before. Thanks for spending time trying to fix. I appreciate the effort, and I am hopeful that this will be fixed someday.

There are no dropouts when outputting Stereo.  I haven't used Surround output from the X1 box in 6+ months and have given up on Surround.  Comcast has been working on these dropouts for what - 3 years?  Longer?  I doubt that there will ever be a fix and I'm certainly not holding my breath.  I suggest using Stereo output instead.

Gold Problem Solver

This result does not surprise me in the least and I am waiting for Comcast and ComcastKenF to be more open and forthcoming in regards to this problem...

@Steveromo wrote:

Gold Problem Solver

Not a chance here. I didn't take the time, money and effort to set up a Dolby Atmos surround sound system just to listen to it in Dolby Pro Logic which is over 20 years old.

I would rather endure the occasional drop out and listen in Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos than listen in Dolby Pro Logic...

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@Steveromo wrote:

There are no dropouts when outputting Stereo.  I haven't used Surround output from the X1 box in 6+ months and have given up on Surround.  Comcast has been working on these dropouts for what - 3 years?  Longer?  I doubt that there will ever be a fix and I'm certainly not holding my breath.  I suggest using Stereo output instead.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Not a chance here. I didn't take the time, money and effort to set up a Dolby Atmos surround sound system just to listen to it in Dolby Pro Logic which is over 20 years old.

I would rather endure the occasional drop out and listen in Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos than listen in Dolby Pro Logic...

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@Steveromo wrote:

The worse issue for me is that I have terrible lip-sync issues when outputting Surround from the X1 box.  Very visible on things like CNN, MSNBC, news broadcasts, etc.  I've replaced my X1 box and no improvement.  Lip-sync is perfect when outputting Stereo however.  I also have no issues on any of my other devices (BD player, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) So between the lip-sync issues and dropouts, I suppose I'm stuck permanently using Stereo output from the X1.

Gold Problem Solver

I have minimal to no issues with "lip sync". My Marantz AV receivers appear to be able to correct for any audio sync issues... The XG2 that I have which is NOT connected to an AV receiver (it is connected to a Sonos Playbar) has a couple of minor sync issues but they are so small I can live with them.

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@Steveromo wrote:

The worse issue for me is that I have terrible lip-sync issues when outputting Surround from the X1 box.  Very visible on things like CNN, MSNBC, news broadcasts, etc.  I've replaced my X1 box and no improvement.  Lip-sync is perfect when outputting Stereo however.  I also have no issues on any of my other devices (BD player, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) So between the lip-sync issues and dropouts, I suppose I'm stuck permanently using Stereo output from the X1.

Official Employee

Aw man, we almost had it, steveromo! I think now is the time for us to send a tech out. I'll private message you with the details. 

Regular Visitor

I've been watching this thread for some time. I'm in Lancaster PA and have had problems for quite a while. It used to be just on our local ABC station and now it's CBS too. Audio drops briefly from 5.1 to stereo for a moment to kick my Pioneer receive, at least 10-15 times an hour. Happens on both my Xfinity X-1 and my Tivo Roamio Pro. Signal strenght and upstream power are fine. Even had a new drop installed from street to house with no improvement. Just strange that it's only these two stations (99% of the time). CBS is 1080i and ABC is 720P.

As said by others, I would still take the dropouts rather than switching TIVO to PCM.

Official Employee

Thanks for reaching out about your issues, sandhaus. Are you using a sound bar? 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Ken, I am a bit confused as to what Comcast is doing to "fix" these issues.  They've been happening for years.  

Don't take this personally, but every few months a Comcast employee comes on this forum and asks if people are still experiencing issues and tells us that a fix is in the works.  Eventually, that employee stops posting and the audio issues persist.  This cycle has been going on for a couple of years now.  So I'm sure you can understand the frustration of many who have been frequenting this forum and experiencing these issues for quite some time.

Official Employee

jkozlow3, I understand your concerns and I want to get to the bottom of these issues. I don't see these particular sound issues reported as a known issue at this time. If the issues are stemming from issues in your particular area, or problems with exterior/interior wiring I'd like to look into that. 

I'm hoping to figure out a fix for at least one so we have some kind of metric of what may be affecting everyone here. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

jkozlow3, I understand your concerns and I want to get to the bottom of these issues. I don't see these particular sound issues reported as a known issue at this time. If the issues are stemming from issues in your particular area, or problems with exterior/interior wiring I'd like to look into that. 

I'm hoping to figure out a fix for at least one so we have some kind of metric of what may be affecting everyone here. 

So Comcast just gave up on fixing the surround sound issues?  They were working on them for a long time.  Previous Comcast reps have PM'd many of us and have even sent numerous test/beta builds to our boxes over the past 1+ year, but none of the test builds seemed to fix the issue.

Stereo output from the X1 works perfectly.  As you can see from this thread, the problem has been going on for a very long time.

I've had numerous techs out to my house (4 I believe) and no one has ever been able to find a problem with my wiring or signals.  They've checked at the tap, outside the house, at the point of demarkation inside the house and at each jack in the house.

The bigger issue for me is that the audio-video lip-sync became out of sync around last Fall when outputting surround from the X1.  Lip-sync is perfect when outputting stereo.  I seem to be in the minority with this issue however.  I've replaced my X1 box and the problem persists.  None of my other devices have the issue (Apple TV, Blu-ray player, etc.) when outputting surround.  Everything is routed through my Denon receiver via HDMI.

As a result of both of these issues (audio droputs and lip-sync), I am forced to output stereo from the X1.  Stereo works perfectly.

Official Employee

We have not given up on fixing these issues, jkozlow3. I'm here to help. Thanks for confirming all that was done to resolve your surround sound issues. I'd like to see what other options we have. Can you send me a private message (Click ComcastKenF and then click Private Message Me) with your account address and full name so I can see what our next steps are? 

Official Employee

jkozlow3, I just responded to your private message. There is some ongoing video repairs in your area that have been going on for a few days. It is expected to conclude around 3pm tomorrow afternoon. I'll check in with you to see if you're still having problems. If so, we can run a few tests to see if there is any improvement. 

Official Employee

Hey Steveromo, since the issue returned after a short reprieve, I've scheduled the tech visit we discussed via private message. I'll check in with you once the appointment completes. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I am not using a soundbar. I tried one last week with an optical input and the audio drop was more severe. I am using a Pioneer VSX-1121 but also tried a Yamaha with same results. I can see the display on the receiver switch modes quickly each time.

Official Employee

Thanks for that info. I've checked out the signal levels from your box and everything looks normal and seems to be functioning properly. I can try a few signals to the sound card to see if we see a change. When would be a good time for me to do so, sandhaus? 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Thanks for that info. I've checked out the signal levels from your box and everything looks normal and seems to be functioning properly. I can try a few signals to the sound card to see if we see a change. When would be a good time for me to do so, sandhaus? 

Is this something I need to be involved with? You can test anytime.

Official Employee

No, you don't really need to be involved. I'll run some tests, send a few signals-- let me know if you see any difference if you're home, sandhaus. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

No, you don't really need to be involved. I'll run some tests, send a few signals-- let me know if you see any difference if you're home, sandhaus. 

I'll give you an update after I watch 2 hours of Scandal tonight. That's an ABC show that always has problems.

Thank you.

Marc

Regular Visitor

Watched Scandal last night which was recorded Thursday evening and it had the usual amount of dropouts.Probably one every 4 minutes though it took about 10 minutes till it started.

Official Employee

Thanks for the update, sandhaus. I'd like to try one more signal. When can I do so? Additionally, I see you had a temporary line drop installed during your last tech appointment. Was that buried? 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Thanks for the update, sandhaus. I'd like to try one more signal. When can I do so? Additionally, I see you had a temporary line drop installed during your last tech appointment. Was that buried? 

Please test anytime. Yes, the line was finally buried. We almost had to switch to Directv because they refused to bury it unless we tore up our new walkway and replaced it. One day we came home and it was done...they came trough the lawn and up an underground drain pipe.

Thanks for all your help!

Marc

Official Employee

Cool, sandhaus. I've sent a few more signals. Test it out when you can. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Cool, sandhaus. I've sent a few more signals. Test it out when you can. 

Will do when I get some viewing time. Just curious, what can you do remotely to help with this?

Official Employee

Good question sandhaus. The first thing we need to do is pinpoint the main issue. From what I've seen on my end, signal wise, everything seems normal. It becomes a little complicated because stereo output works well for you. Service quality gets tricky when it  has to route through a third party (surround sound systems, personal routers, etc). Because other platforms work with other third party units but not with your cable box, that's what I'm trying to figure out. 

I've sent signals to your box and signals to your sound card in the cable box. These signals range from refreshing the box's settings, to resetting the sound card to it's original settings, to even removing the coded features of the box and then adding them back again. There are some advanced remote troubleshooting we can do if these don't work-- which means me reaching out to tech ops to get an idea of what's next. We can also look at exchanging the box or sending a technician if it comes to that. 

Many people on this thread have already done these things, so I'm going through this with you-- trying all I can from here to get some type of improvement. 

Regular Visitor

I use my Tivo 99% of the time. Rarely watch LIVE TV except during the day. When I watch the same show recorded on the X-1 through the same equipment I get the same droupouts so I'm guessing it's not the box. Thought it was something the local station was doing but there should be more complaints out there. Do you know when our channels will be switching to MPEG4?

Official Employee

Gotcha, sandhaus. The cable card in your cable box is MPEG 4 compatible and most of our boxes are as well. If you tune to channel 1995, you can confirm that there. Here's a little more info on that: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/cablecard-mpeg4-faqs/. 

Most channels have sunsetted MPEG2 for MPEG4. Usually, if you were still receiving channels using MPEG2, you would hear audio but not see any video. I recommend tuning to channel 1995 to double check you're up to date. 

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to chime in and share my experience with this audio dropout (and sometimes pixelation) issue. I too have been experiencing this issue over the last several months. I have had several trouble tickets opened with Comcast. I had a tech visit once, who noted an issue with MOCA signals, replaced the main STB and the splitter/amplifier, and before he left, his test equipment showed my signals in the house were right near the center of their spec range and all my wiring was good.

I continued having problems, opened another trouble ticket, and Comcast apparently took some action in their lines or infrastructure during a 4-hour period when all my Triple Play services were down.  Customer Support couldn't tell me what they did during this 4-hour outage, but the result was a substantial reduction in audio dropouts and pixelation. I was still dissatisfied with the remaining frequency of audio and video issues. 

After a little playing around with my installation, I believe I found the issue with the remaining dropouts -  the proximity of a wifi router to the STB (an ARRIS AR AX013ANM) . If my wifi router (an old Linksys E4200v1 dual-band) is within 12 inches or so of the STB, I get dropouts. A very reproducible correlation.

So with some apparent improvement in the quality of the signal delivered to my house by Comcast, and a little physical re-arrangement of my equipment around my main STB, I now have fully resolved an issue bugging me (and Comcast) for a couple of months.

If you would allow me a little techno-babble, it would be interesting to hear if the STB design engineering team (Comcast/Arris) noted any issue in EMC radiated and conducted susceptibility tests in the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and what, if any, actions they took to address those issues. From my experience, there remain issues in the current design.

Hope this helps others experiencing similar effects.

Official Employee

Hey Bob137. Thanks for your input in this! I'm glad you were able to figure out a resolution for your sound issues. If we are able to replicate these changes with others here, we might have something. 

Regular Contributor

My router and modem are nowhere near the X1 box. In fact they are on different floors of the house.

The surround dropouts have nothing to do with WiFi interference. The issue does not happen when outputting Stereo from the X1 box. The issue has to do with the way the surround sound is being processed by the X1 box and nothing more. Discussing any other potential cause is a complete waste of time.
Regular Contributor

Whoa. Whoa. Ease up! Any troubleshooting tips that may reduce the audio issue are useful and exactly what this thread is all about! My modem is also in another room and my problem is with BOTH the stereo and surround output modes. But I appreciate any info posted here.
Silver Problem Solver

@jkozlow3 wrote:
My router and modem are nowhere near the X1 box. In fact they are on different floors of the house.

The surround dropouts have nothing to do with WiFi interference. The issue does not happen when outputting Stereo from the X1 box. The issue has to do with the way the surround sound is being processed by the X1 box and nothing more. Discussing any other potential cause is a complete waste of time.

I have one X1 box that gets its sound from an Onkyo receiver.  Surround has worked for at least the last two years.

Are you using a receiver to produce surround?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

jkozlow3 - Let me clarify....I have observed a 100% correlation between the frequency of audio dropouts and pixelation in my setup and the physical distance between my STB and and wifi router.

100% = perfect correlation. The data shows Wifi DOES have an effect on audio dropouts. Obviously:

- Router sitting on top of STB = frequent dropouts (i.e. every minute or so)

- Router 1 foot away from STB = infrequent dropouts ( every 5-10 minutes)

- Router 2 feet away from STB = no dropouts

This thread appears to be conflating a number of "audio issues" - possibly many distinct observed effects with possibly many root causes. I relate my experience which may describe only one cause/effect relationship. I have not yet identified what I would consider, from an engineering perspective, to be a true root cause. I happen to have identified a 100% correlation which addressed the undesireable effect I was experiencing, but it remains Comcast's obligation to identify the true root cause of ALL these audio issues for ALL its customers.

I post this data with the intent to help others with a simple experiment and possible resolution to their issues. It obviously does not address your situation, so you'll need to keep looking.

YMMV - your mileage may vary

Silver Problem Solver

@Bob137 wrote:

jkozlow3 - Let me clarify....I have observed a 100% correlation between the frequency of audio dropouts and pixelation in my setup and the physical distance between my STB and and wifi router.

100% = perfect correlation. The data shows Wifi DOES have an effect on audio dropouts. Obviously:

- Router sitting on top of STB = frequent dropouts (i.e. every minute or so)

- Router 1 foot away from STB = infrequent dropouts ( every 5-10 minutes)

- Router 2 feet away from STB = no dropouts

This thread appears to be conflating a number of "audio issues" - possibly many distinct observed effects with possibly many root causes. I relate my experience which may describe only one cause/effect relationship. I have not yet identified what I would consider, from an engineering perspective, to be a true root cause. I happen to have identified a 100% correlation which addressed the undesireable effect I was experiencing, but it remains Comcast's obligation to identify the true root cause of ALL these audio issues for ALL its customers.

I post this data with the intent to help others with a simple experiment and possible resolution to their issues. It obviously does not address your situation, so you'll need to keep looking.

YMMV - your mileage may vary

Just an FYI: my gateway is in a separate room about 15 feet from my receiver/TV.

And sometimes, my receiver doesn't get turned on and I get my sound from my TV, which is not surround.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Well, I thought I was long out of the woods on this issue.  :-(  Watching the "Voice" - On Demand, and dropping audio most noticabley between show segments and commercials.  Without fail, I was getting break up during and then transitioning back to the show.  Once back in the show, things seemed fine.  That was "On Demand".  Later was watching a DVR'd Science Channel (HD) show and was getting audio/video out of synch.. no break up, just slightly out of synch. Later a DVR'd SyFy channel movie and everything was perfect.  Why it's all over the map is beyond me, but clearly if one DVR'd program was in synch they all should be.  Has anyone considered any of this being related to the channel lineup swaps that were done??

My entire setup hasn't changed in months and this just started last night.  Live TV through OLED speakers seemed fine, as did Live TV via optical to receiver (Denon).  I have an Arris X1 box.  Will check again today and tonight, but has this really come back again????   :-(

Jay S.

Contributor

X1 Audio Dropouts - RESOLVED!

I started this discussion in November of 2015 and have worked diligently with Comcast on countless occasions to resolve this issue. The trouble is, every time you call for Tech Support or every time someone from Comcast comes out  for a service call or gets involved in the discussion here, they end up heading down an entirely different rabbit hole for the resolution. Bottom line? Comcast clearly has no idea what's causing the problem.

That said, the last service tech that came out did provide some insight on the situation. He said the network node I'm on is so large and serves so many clients, it is over taxed and can not keep up with the load the X1 puts on the system. In his opinion, the current noode should be broken into 3-4 separate nodes to provide reliable serevice. This, compounded by the fact that the infrastructure here in Tucson is so old, is likely a cause of these performance issues. Those living in a relatively new area with new network equipment, big fat fiber cable and a newly designed, modern infrastructure are not likely to experiene this audio dropout problem - and this would explain why it does not occur everywhere, just specific market areas (old).    

As of yesterday, I'm giving Comcast two more years to resolve this audio dropout issue. My DIrecTV is working great with no audio dropouts and four 4K channels that look absolutely 3D! 

Soldier on my fellow serfs..... I'll be watching for that fix!

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts - RESOLVED!

Just a question - with the apparent quantity and duration of complaints over the years about audio and video issues, is anybody aware of Comcast organizing a task force of Comcast service tech, Comcast engineering, and STB design engineering personnel to do a deep dive on these issues?

It seems these issues are so pervasive, and in some cases so repetitive, that to not have established a root cause and corrective action for a majority of these issues is surprising. I would expect that organizing a cross-functional task force and sending them out to key customers experiencing issues, armed with every bit of design documentation and test equipment used in their labs, would certainly lead them to a solution. 

Arrange to take over a customer's house for a day (appropriately compensated) and don't leave the house until you completely understand the behavior of Comcast's signal delivery to that house and the behavior of the signal within the house and it's devices. Bring in pizza and beverages for the task force and customers.

Follow this process on with a sufficient sample size and you'll build a better understanding of the range of root causes, corrrective and preventative actions necessary to put this to bed.

With all due respect to the service organization and its personnel, they do not seem be armed with sufficient knowledge, training and tools to address these issues, often resorting to parts-swapping, re-wiring, and blaiming the upstream infrastructure for lack of a better root cause identification and resolution process at the customer site.

Maybe the solutions ARE known, but have been deemed too costly from a business perspective to implement. 

If this has happened and I am unaware of it (I haven't read every word of every forum devoted to this topic) let me know.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Gotcha, sandhaus. The cable card in your cable box is MPEG 4 compatible and most of our boxes are as well. If you tune to channel 1995, you can confirm that there. Here's a little more info on that: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/cablecard-mpeg4-faqs/. 

Most channels have sunsetted MPEG2 for MPEG4. Usually, if you were still receiving channels using MPEG2, you would hear audio but not see any video. I recommend tuning to channel 1995 to double check you're up to date. 

When I go to 1995 on my X-1 I get some foreign OnDemand channel. On my Tivo I get "channel not availbale." My Tivo and cablecard are new.

I thought the MPEG4 channels would be in the 1000 numbers.

Did this audio droput start when the MPEG4 conversion began?

Gold Problem Solver

Bob137,

During my conversations with Comcast employees in regards to X1, even though Comcast is a mega gazillion dollar company, X1 is being developed and supported by very limited budgets...

I have been told many times that they don't have the budget to do it right.
Frequent Visitor

RickGr4, so it's a business decision - there's apparently little financial benefit to achieving high customer satisfaction ratings.

Regular Contributor

Sandhaus,

The audio dropouts have been going on for years for many of us. Long before mpeg4.

Comcast is a joke. Millions and millions of subscribers and they'd rather send 5+ techs out to my house (over the course of a couple of years) instead of simply programming the X1 box to work properly. Of course the techs can never find a problem when they're here.
Contributor

Bob:

Your modem and its proximity to the X1 box may very well be a cause of your issue.  But It also sounds like your issue is BOTH audio dropout AND video degradation (pixelation).  That is a different issue than the one that the majority of folks on this thread for the last two years have been experiencing.  Our problem is solely audio dropout and most of us (but not all) see this problem only when listening in surround sound, not stereo.  It may also be that those that have audio dropouts when the box is set on stereo may be suffering from a different problem.  I have no idea myself, but the recent suggestion that nodes are over-crowded and the equipment old would seem to jive nicely with the facts that: 1) not everyone seems to be expieriencing the problem; 2) decoding more advanced audio codecs has been pointed to as the problem; and 3) none of the numerous new builds that Comcast has released has solved the problem.

Again, it is very important to note that some of the problems in this thread (like yours) are different from the original problem that started this thread -- microsecond audio dropouts primarily when using an AV receiver and when the X1 box is outputting surround sound.  My guess is that until Comcast does an equipment upgrade and/or develops/employs new hardware (i.e., new X1 boxes), this problem is not going to get fixed.  It is a shame.