X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Contributor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Just check my STB, it's 2.5 XXX

Hope this helps,

Cadman

Regular Contributor

UPDATE:  I have found that if I pause my live TV just a second or two, and then resume playback on a very slight delay, there is NO AUDIO DROPOUT. I may have seen someone else mention this earlier in this post. But I think this is significant enough to mention again. It's not a fix, it's a work around - BUT - I feel it can help lead the engineers in the right direction. I still get dropout when playing back DVR recordings, but I can eliminate it on live broadcasts (although I must repeat the process after every channel change!!) Still hoping for a resolution soon!

Regular Contributor

@Steveromo wrote:

UPDATE:  I have found that if I pause my live TV just a second or two, and then resume playback on a very slight delay, there is NO AUDIO DROPOUT. I may have seen someone else mention this earlier in this post. But I think this is significant enough to mention again. It's not a fix, it's a work around - BUT - I feel it can help lead the engineers in the right direction. I still get dropout when playing back DVR recordings, but I can eliminate it on live broadcasts (although I must repeat the process after every channel change!!) Still hoping for a resolution soon!

Please make sure you send a PM to ComcastEricG to alert him of your findings.  He lasted posted on the previous page of this thread (page 4).  You just need to click on his name to send him a PM.

Contributor

Steveromo:

Are you saying when you do this you don't get any dropouts at all while you continue to watch that channel?  Seems odd.  How long did you test for after doing the pause?  I have to agree that this is really an annoying problem  that seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to fix.  It's somewhat aggravating to see Comcast hawking all these new bells and whistles into their apps and X1 system, yet still being unable to fix one of the basic requirements for watching TV -- uninterrupted audio.  UGH.

Andrew

Regular Contributor

Most of what I watch is LIVE sports (CSN, NFL games, MLB playoffs, etc.) During the broadcasts, the audio dropouts are still occurring about once every 4 minutes. If I "jump back" on the remote, the broadcast is essentially now playing back to me on a brief delay, BUT the dropouts dissappear! Used this on many channels, for the average length of a game (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours at a time.) Not a single dropout during this "time-shifted" broadcast!!! I also want to note that in my case, the dropouts occur on both STEREO and SURROUND audio modes on my X1 STB.

Contributor

That's very interesting.  I, too, watch mostly sports, but I don't think I have observed the frequency of drop-outs that you describe (e.g., every 4 minutes).  That's like 15 an hour.  My experience is more like 3 or 4 an hour, but I haven't really counted.

I did note quite a few dropouts during the last presidential debate, but I can't remember which channel I watched it on.

Gold Problem Solver

This morning while watching CBS news on the XG2 in my living room I noticed numerous audio drop outs, possibly as many as 10 over a two hour period. It is probably the worst it's been.
Regular Visitor

@Cozmr2 wrote:

Sound drop outs continue, but have slowed down.  Always have a dropout when I start a new program on demand or change channels.

Same here. Consistent1 second drop out after changing chanells then random drops while watching. I have a 2015 yamaha a/v receiver RXV481 with newer Sharp TV. HDMI cable is going direct from STB to TV and optical out to the A/V receiver. 

Gold Problem Solver

Why are connecting your system that way? You should be running HDMI into the Yamaha then HDMI out to the TV.

With your current config you may not be listening to Dolby Digital 5.1 and you run a bigger risk of audio sync issues.

@cja12720 wrote:

@Cozmr2 wrote:

Sound drop outs continue, but have slowed down.  Always have a dropout when I start a new program on demand or change channels.

Same here. Consistent1 second drop out after changing chanells then random drops while watching. I have a 2015 yamaha a/v receiver RXV481 with newer Sharp TV. HDMI cable is going direct from STB to TV and optical out to the A/V receiver. 

Regular Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Why are connecting your system that way? You should be running HDMI into the Yamaha then HDMI out to the TV.

With your current config you may not be listening to Dolby Digital 5.1 and you run a bigger risk of audio sync issues.

@cja12720 wrote:

@Cozmr2 wrote:

I originally had hdmi from the STB going to the yamaha then HDMI out to the TV, but I had terrible lip sync issues with the setup. In fact the rest of my devices chromecast, ps4 go to the yamaha then out to TV and they work flawlessly.  Only the STB had the lip sync issues and I did not get the dolby icon on the TV indicated surrond mode was working. I made sure the stb was set to surround mode and even tried stereo just to see what would happen and still had issues. I also tried new HDMI cables and no dice. As a long shot I went HDMI from STB to TV and optical out to the yamaha A/V and the lip sync issue went away immediately. I get the dolby icon on the TV now also, so seems to be passing the surround sound signal ok, but yes it's not the optimal setup especially since all my other devices run HDMI to the A/V receiver then out to tv.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes but you are probably getting Dolby Pro Logic not Dolby Digital which is much better.

Suggest you check to see if there is firmware updates for your TV and AV receiver. They might help.
Regular Contributor

Yet another update... I hope they're still checking in on this forum and working on this problem. Watched football yesterday with TV muted and sound from my audio receiver, BUT, I decided to use the analog receiver input that comes from the analog (red-white audio jacks) output from my STB. (I use this when listening to music channels from my STB because I can run that through my equalizer for a crisper sound.) Anyway, there was NO DROP OUT for the entire broadcast! The analog audio output from the STB is clean! The drop out issue is definitely a strictly digital (HDMI) issue.

New Poster

More info that may hopefully help to sort out the issue:

Just gave up my legacy Comcast issued DVR (Scientific Atlanta, I believe) for a new Arris AX013. Connected it to the same HDMI cable that worked with the SA box for many years. TV is Sanyo DP42849. Experienced the audio and video dropouts that others have. Changing X1 video and audio settings had no effect. Replaced cheap HDMI cable that had worked for years with new Rocketfish 4K cable. Problem gone. However, one problem does remain. If I select another input on the TV other than the HDMI port the Arris is connected to and go back to the Arris port, there is no audio on HDMI. Video is fine. The same happens if I turn the TV off. No audio on HDMI when I turn the TV back on. Changing X1 video and audio settings have no effect. There is audio on the line level outputs (red and white) but I did not check optical. The only ways to restore audio is to either physically disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect, or to power down and power back up the Arris via the front panel power button (blue ring). Hopefully there's a clue in here for the Comast folks.

If I had known that this "upgrade" was going to cost me the time and money it has, I never would have fallen for the bill credit incentive to turn in my old box. This has been a real time sink and inconvenience. It's like going to a movie theater and paying to see a movie, and then when you get in you find out you have to troubleshoot the projector yourself and pay for any parts to fix it out of your own pocket.

Gold Problem Solver

Based on what has been said in other threads, this problem is well know and a fix for the audio drop out problem is coming fairly soon.

Wearycustomer your issue sounds different and sure sounds like an HDMI handshake issue or possibly a bad X1 box. I recommend that you check to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.

WearyCustomer wrote:

Just gave up my legacy Comcast issued DVR (Scientific Atlanta, I believe) for a new Arris AX013. Connected it to the same HDMI cable that worked with the SA box for many years. TV is Sanyo DP42849. Experienced the audio and video dropouts that others have. Changing X1 video and audio settings had no effect. Replaced cheap HDMI cable that had worked for years with new Rocketfish 4K cable. Problem gone. However, one problem does remain. If I select another input on the TV other than the HDMI port the Arris is connected to and go back to the Arris port, there is no audio on HDMI. Video is fine. The same happens if I turn the TV off. No audio on HDMI when I turn the TV back on. Changing X1 video and audio settings have no effect. There is audio on the line level outputs (red and white) but I did not check optical. The only ways to restore audio is to either physically disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect, or to power down and power back up the Arris via the front panel power button (blue ring). Hopefully there's a clue in here for the Comast folks.

If I had known that this "upgrade" was going to cost me the time and money it has, I never would have fallen for the bill credit incentive to turn in my old box. This has been a real time sink and inconvenience. It's like going to a movie theater and paying to see a movie, and then when you get in you find out you have to troubleshoot the projector yourself and pay for any parts to fix it out of your own pocket.

Contributor

I think it is time for someone from Comcast to provide us with an update as to the status of the audio dropout fix.  Last night watching the American Music Awards there were some severe audio dropouts during several of the songs, confirming once again that the problem still exists.  Comcast has purpotedly been working on this for at least 6 months without success.

It's great that Comcast is rolling out all these bells and whistles on X1 --Netflix access; 4K samples; voice control, etc. -- but frankly those are simply trimmings while the underlying basis of the service -- sound and picture -- are not yet perfect.  I have a hard time understanding the priorities and maybe the issue is that only a fraction (maybe even just a small fraction) of subscribers either have this issue or care about it.  Whatever the case, it would be nice to know what kind of progress has been made and if the source of the problem has yet been identified.

I find this extremely frustrating.

Regular Contributor

@asmarks wrote:

I think it is time for someone from Comcast to provide us with an update as to the status of the audio dropout fix.  Last night watching the American Music Awards there were some severe audio dropouts during several of the songs, confirming once again that the problem still exists.  Comcast has purpotedly been working on this for at least 6 months without success.

It's great that Comcast is rolling out all these bells and whistles on X1 --Netflix access; 4K samples; voice control, etc. -- but frankly those are simply trimmings while the underlying basis of the service -- sound and picture -- are not yet perfect.  I have a hard time understanding the priorities and maybe the issue is that only a fraction (maybe even just a small fraction) of subscribers either have this issue or care about it.  Whatever the case, it would be nice to know what kind of progress has been made and if the source of the problem has yet been identified.

I find this extremely frustrating.

Comcast has been working on the audio dropouts for like a year.  Definitely WAY longer than 6 months.

Netflix looks terrible on the X1 box too.  I pulled up the same episode of a show on the X1 and on my Apple TV and the picture quality was MUCH better on the Apple TV.  Sad.  Comcast is really disappointing.

Contributor

@jkozlow3 wrote:
Netflix looks terrible on the X1 box too.  I pulled up the same episode of a show on the X1 and on my Apple TV and the picture quality was MUCH better on the Apple TV.  Sad.  Comcast is really disappointing.

Ha! Netflix on my X1 looks better than Comcast OD and loads much faster. 

Regarding HDMI cable quality, it's all bunk.. https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

New Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:
Based on what has been said in other threads, this problem is well know and a fix for the audio drop out problem is coming fairly soon.

Wearycustomer your issue sounds different and sure sounds like an HDMI handshake issue or possibly a bad X1 box. I recommend that you check to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.

@WearyCustomer wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion RickGr4. I had already looked for an update for the TV, but none was available. It does sound like a handshaking problem. But the deal is this: I've used and use many other HDMI devices with this TV - Blu-Ray players, DVD players and a few PC's, not to mention the old Comcast box. I have not had this issue with any of them. The Arris box is the only device to show this behavior. As for those that say an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, I hear you. Again, any other device I've connected to this TV has been routed through a sub $5 cable, of which I have a few, and they all work with any device other than the Arris. If I use any cable other than the new "4K" cable I paid way too much for last week with the Arris, I will get audio and video dropouts. That's the reality. This Arris box is one finicky beast, and it has issues that need to be addressed by the folks that take my money every month. As others have said, it is not unreasonable for us to expect that we can put an "upgraded" box in place of our legacy box and have it work. It's not like I'm getting any better a video signal out of this box than my old one (well, perhaps the SA didn't do 1080p, I think it was 1080i, but the issues exist if I set the Arris to 480 or 720, so what does it matter). I'm not getting 4K HDR here, nor do I want to know what the "fee" for that would be. So this shouldn't be a time and dollar burning science experiment to get what I had before. It should have been plug and play. Can't wait to see what DirecTV Now looks like on the 28th. That, and an OTA antenna... just sayin'.

Gold Problem Solver

Here is the problem...

X1 boxes are both inconsistent and unpredictable in regards to HDMI. Comcast has chosen to deviate away from well known HDMI specs to suit their own needs. X1 boxes are simply not going to be fully compatible with every TV out there and the problem is worse if your TV is older or an "off name" brand.

There was a day when Sanyo was considered a decent product but those days are long gone.

In another ongoing thread, a former Comcast employee who now works for Dolby Labs (who knows as much about this issue as anyone does) updated us on the audio drop out issue. They know what the problem is and a fix is coming soon.

Sorry but X1 boxes and your Sanyo TV may be incompatible....

@WearyCustomer wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@WearyCustomer wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion RickGr4. I had already looked for an update for the TV, but none was available. It does sound like a handshaking problem. But the deal is this: I've used and use many other HDMI devices with this TV - Blu-Ray players, DVD players and a few PC's, not to mention the old Comcast box. I have not had this issue with any of them. The Arris box is the only device to show this behavior. As for those that say an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, I hear you. Again, any other device I've connected to this TV has been routed through a sub $5 cable, of which I have a few, and they all work with any device other than the Arris. If I use any cable other than the new "4K" cable I paid way too much for last week with the Arris, I will get audio and video dropouts. That's the reality. This Arris box is one finicky beast, and it has issues that need to be addressed by the folks that take my money every month. As others have said, it is not unreasonable for us to expect that we can put an "upgraded" box in place of our legacy box and have it work. It's not like I'm getting any better a video signal out of this box than my old one (well, perhaps the SA didn't do 1080p, I think it was 1080i, but the issues exist if I set the Arris to 480 or 720, so what does it matter). I'm not getting 4K HDR here, nor do I want to know what the "fee" for that would be. So this shouldn't be a time and dollar burning science experiment to get what I had before. It should have been plug and play. Can't wait to see what DirecTV Now looks like on the 28th. That, and an OTA antenna... just sayin'.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

In another ongoing thread, a former Comcast employee who now works for Dolby Labs (who knows as much about this issue as anyone does) updated us on the audio drop out issue. They know what the problem is and a fix is coming soon.

Rick, can you provide the link to the other thread/post?  I don't recall seeing that update.  Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@mryflyguy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

That's interesting.  Do you have an Apple TV, Roku, Blu-ray player or TV with Netflix built-in?  If so, you could start the same episode of the same show on 2 devices (X1 being one of them) and compare the picture quality.  I immediately noticed that the picture on the Apple TV was much sharper and more detailed in comparison to the X1 when doing this comparison.  Both devices are set to output 1080p, yet the X1 looked more like 720p in comparison to Netflix on the Apple TV.

Gold Problem Solver

Just to clear the "air" here...

I have a calibrated 65" LG OLED 4K HDR TV, Roku Ultra, Roku 4 and a Sony 4K upscaling Blu-ray player. I also have a brand new high end Marantz AV receiver and mid level Audioquest HDMI cables. I think my setup qualifies me to make comments about picture and sound quality.

In regards to Netflix:

My Roku boxes and my Sony Blu-ray player load Netflix much faster and the respond to the remote quicker.
The Roku and Sony picture is better in both 4K and 1080P.
The audio is better.
My Roku boxes and my Sony Blu-ray player have Netflix "screen savers".
The Roku and Sony remotes have shortcut buttons that X1 does not have.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that Comcast added Netflix to X1. But people should know there are better ways to go about experiencing Netflix...

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@mryflyguy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

That's interesting.  Do you have an Apple TV, Roku, Blu-ray player or TV with Netflix built-in?  If so, you could start the same episode of the same show on 2 devices (X1 being one of them) and compare the picture quality.  I immediately noticed that the picture on the Apple TV was much sharper and more detailed in comparison to the X1 when doing this comparison.  Both devices are set to output 1080p, yet the X1 looked more like 720p in comparison to Netflix on the Apple TV.

Contributor

RickGr4:

Please provide a link to the post by the former Comcast employee where the nature of the audio drop out problem has been identified. 

Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

You can lead a horse to water but...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Dolby-digital-is-recording-in-2-channel/td-p/2828139

@asmarks wrote:

RickGr4:

Please provide a link to the post by the former Comcast employee where the nature of the audio drop out problem has been identified. 

Thanks.

Contributor

Thanks, Rick:

And to make it more convenient for everyone, the former Comcast employee (ComcastNeal) posted the following:

"The audio drop issue has to do with MS11 not being fully enabled. That's coming soon. Drops will be 100% gone then. I've tested it and so has ComcastEric. They can't do it now or you'd lose Atmos support. There will be a UI and FW change done at the same time."

So while it is encouraging that they have the problem solved, it is a little discouarging that there is no timetable for when that solution will be pushed to those of us suffering the dropouts.  We've waited this long, so I guess another few weeks (he says hopefully) is not a big deal.

Expert
Moved:

Post Removed from the Forums as it is not helpful to the topic.

Regular Visitor

I would hope that this 'solution' would be pushed to everyone.  I also began experiencing these audio dropouts when I upgraded to the X1 box.  Since I had just gotten a new Samsung 65KS8000 4k TV, I thought a new cable box would be in order.  I was expecting just a newer model of the HD box I had, but was happy when I was offered an X1 box for no additional cost.  However, this audio dropout thing is a bit annoying.  I'm currently connected from the X1 box to a new Pioneer VSX-LX301 AVR then to the ARC connection on the TV's OneConnect Box, all via HDMI.  I was tempted to play around with alternate connection setups, but it's just not worth tearing apart my system and putting it back together again...

Regular Contributor

@GTOGreg wrote:

I would hope that this 'solution' would be pushed to everyone.  I also began experiencing these audio dropouts when I upgraded to the X1 box.  Since I had just gotten a new Samsung 65KS8000 4k TV, I thought a new cable box would be in order.  I was expecting just a newer model of the HD box I had, but was happy when I was offered an X1 box for no additional cost.  However, this audio dropout thing is a bit annoying.  I'm currently connected from the X1 box to a new Pioneer VSX-LX301 AVR then to the ARC connection on the TV's OneConnect Box, all via HDMI.  I was tempted to play around with alternate connection setups, but it's just not worth tearing apart my system and putting it back together again...

Just set the X1 box to output stereo for now until the fix is rolled out.  That's what I've done.  Much better.

Contributor

Does Comcast charge you for these boxes while they do beta testing on them?

Silver Problem Solver

@KeenanSR wrote:

Does Comcast charge you for these boxes while they do beta testing on them?

I've had my X1 system for about 3 years.  Does that answer your question?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone heard from ComcastEric in their PMs lately. No response since beginning of October. I know he said they were busy. Just curious. I have had an x1 box since February. That is how long I've had this sound drop issue for. Very ridiculous. It has potential to be a great system, but not quite there.
Regular Visitor

I tried this.
Go into x1 box settings. Then device settings.scroll down to audio.
Select HDMI audio output and select Stereo.
Mine was on surround originally.
Stereo pcm setting matches my Samsung TV settings.
So far after an hour and a half, no audio dropouts.
I'll post if they come back.

Gold Problem Solver

It is well known that the audio dropout problem is related to surround audio. It was mentioned earlier in this thread.

@LJ1234 wrote:
I tried this.
Go into x1 box settings. Then device settings.scroll down to audio.
Select HDMI audio output and select Stereo.
Mine was on surround originally.
Stereo pcm setting matches my Samsung TV settings.
So far after an hour and a half, no audio dropouts.
I'll post if they come back.

New Poster

I just started having this issue after getting a 4K tv last week. A few hours before I found this forum, I did the opposite and changed from stereo to surround on X1. I have not heard an audio drop since. Guess that is not the fix yet... Thanks for all the info!
Silver Problem Solver

@EMRM wrote:
I just started having this issue after getting a 4K tv last week. A few hours before I found this forum, I did the opposite and changed from stereo to surround on X1. I have not heard an audio drop since. Guess that is not the fix yet... Thanks for all the info!

Some have found that doing a surround to stereo to surround also works.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Hi Eric  I have been reading this forum and would like to be added to the beta patch testing.  I recently bought a new Samsung TV and started to notice the audio drop out - not channel specific.  Noticed it more with recorded shows.  I have the X1system and only notice this issue with the new Samsung TV.  I have already replaced the TV thinking the problem was with that.  I bought new Premium HDMI cables and also replaced the X1 DVR box and still notice the audio drop infrequently.  Called Comcast they reset box and indicated all levels are fine after installing a signal power booster.  I am at a loss now as what to do.  It does not happen often but does happen.  Thanks Frank.

Regular Contributor

Hello All. I just wanted to repeat what I've mentioned in earlier posts... I have dropout on BOTH stereo AND surround settings. I have swapped boxes and cables to confirm that the problem is with the PX001 ANC X1 DVR (I assume Arris though the name doesn't appear anywhere on the label.) This is the DVR with the GREEN power light. I have been told that the better box is the one with the BLUE power light. Does anyone have this problem with that style box? Can I trade for one in the Voorhees / Cherry Hill NJ area? I am scared because my problem is actually getting worse lately. $500 for a new TV and can't enjoy it!!!

Gold Problem Solver

If you have an X1 DVR with a green power light you are going to want to swap it out. They have five tuners instead of six and known audio issues.

Just take it to a Comcast service center and swap it out.

@Steveromo wrote:

Hello All. I just wanted to repeat what I've mentioned in earlier posts... I have dropout on BOTH stereo AND surround settings. I have swapped boxes and cables to confirm that the problem is with the PX001 ANC X1 DVR (I assume Arris though the name doesn't appear anywhere on the label.) This is the DVR with the GREEN power light. I have been told that the better box is the one with the BLUE power light. Does anyone have this problem with that style box? Can I trade for one in the Voorhees / Cherry Hill NJ area? I am scared because my problem is actually getting worse lately. $500 for a new TV and can't enjoy it!!!

Contributor

It would be nice to receive an update as to how the fix for the audio dropouts is progressing.  I don't think it is too much to ask since the current version of the problem (which is not DVR box-specific) has been going on since at least early in the year and seems no closer to being fixed today than it was nine months ago.  While Comcast loves to trumpet all the wonderful bells and whistles it continues to add to its X1 service, it would be nice if they could perfect the basic issues, specifically audio, before all the fancy other things. 

I understand that this issue does not affect everyone.  I think it is more specific to folks who use A/V receivers, but we are all paying a significant amount of money each month for Comcast service and proper sound should be provided to all subscribers.  Just continue to be frustrated by the slow pace of the fix.  I mean, come on, nine months to fix a problem in the tech world.  That's enough time for one or two new generations of products to be rolled out.

Silver Problem Solver

@asmarks wrote:

It would be nice to receive an update as to how the fix for the audio dropouts is progressing.  I don't think it is too much to ask since the current version of the problem (which is not DVR box-specific) has been going on since at least early in the year and seems no closer to being fixed today than it was nine months ago.  While Comcast loves to trumpet all the wonderful bells and whistles it continues to add to its X1 service, it would be nice if they could perfect the basic issues, specifically audio, before all the fancy other things. 

I understand that this issue does not affect everyone.  I think it is more specific to folks who use A/V receivers, but we are all paying a significant amount of money each month for Comcast service and proper sound should be provided to all subscribers.  Just continue to be frustrated by the slow pace of the fix.  I mean, come on, nine months to fix a problem in the tech world.  That's enough time for one or two new generations of products to be rolled out.

Just an FYI:  audio dropouts are not happening to ALL a/v receiver users.  I have had the X1 system for about 3 years and I have always used an a/v receiver with my X1 DVR.

Is it possible audio dropouts are happening to X1 customers that have an a/v receiver and NOT an X1 DVR?

Gold Problem Solver

I have three setups in my house with X1 boxes. Two have late model AV receivers. I notice the audio drop outs LESS on those two systems. My third system is an XG2 connected to an HDMI switch box and then TOSLINK to a SONOS soundbar. That is the setup I notice the dropouts on the most.

My main setup is an Arris V3 with a brand new top of the line Marantz receiver and I never notice the dropouts on that system.
New Poster

I have the same exact problem.  Any help appreciated.

Regular Contributor

Is Comcast done providing updates for this issue?

Frequent Visitor

I was told that the Audio dropouts would be fixed by a firmware update earlier this month, yet I am still getting them on occassion..   Its not something that happens all of the time.  I can go a day or so without any dropouts, and then suddenly they happen every 10 minutes or so for a few hours.

The techs in my area say that this is due to the signal being to strong, but they are not sure how to fix things.

Comcast needs to fix this issue..   Its been 8 months now and between this and service freezing all of the time I am not a happy customer.

Gold Problem Solver

Kevin B,

X1 boxes do not freeze when the signal levels are correct and within spec. Strongly recommend you have Comcast send a tech out to investigate signal deficiencies.
Frequent Visitor

I get a couple very quick drop outs with normal surround sound TV watching on main X1 DVR (only one I have with surround). My other 2 boxes are in stereo and I don't have any dropouts.

The dropouts are even worse with Netflix on the surround X1 DVR - many times over the course of a show with many times it coming in bunches of 2-3. Again no issues with stereo on my other 2 remote boxes. I rarely use Netflix on my X1 DVR anymore because the sound dropping out constantly is very annoying. I've also checked box signal strength and it is good. Rebooting the box doesn't help either.

Regular Contributor

Are others noticing lip-sync issues on the X1 when outputting surround?  

I've tried 2 different X1 boxes (Arris and Pace - both V3) and the lip-sync is very noticeably off when using surround.  When I toggle to stereo, everything is fine.  I notice issues on virtual every program on every network when watching things like news broadcasts, etc. where people are speaking directly in front of the camera.

As a result, I've been using stereo almost exclusively lately.  Stereo also doesn't have any audio dropouts, but the lip-sync issue is far worse than a few dropouts here and there.

Visitor

I'm also experiencing audio dropouts that last anywhere from 1 to 20 seconds. I just had a comcast tech in and had the set top box replaced. The tech checked and replaced all of the connections. The problem persists. I'm running the xfinity platform with an Arris cable box to an LG OLED55B6 TV then out to a Sonos playbar, sub and 2 play 1's via an optical cable for surround 5.1. The dropouts stop when I switch the cable set up from surround (Dolby 5.1) over to stereo PCM in te cable box settings menu. It's more pervasive on some channels ( certain high definition ones) when in surround. It's also brutal on newer on demand movies rented through comcast in surround. On demand TV isn't much better. Both the television and Sonos sound system are working perfectly, just not working perfectly with comcast. I've been in contact with Sonos regarding this issue and they indicate that's an xfinity issue and that they are working with Comcast to help resolve this. I would like to use the surround feature again and would like to be added to the list of people looking for help on resolving this matter. 

Regular Contributor

@r.gawron wrote:

I'm also experiencing audio dropouts that last anywhere from 1 to 20 seconds.

1 to 20 seconds????

I've never heard of that.  Pretty much everyone on this thread has sub-second dropouts when using surround.  Certainly less than 1-2 seconds.

Visitor

I'm not getting the dropouts when the STB is in stereo (PCM), just when set to surround.