Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Expert

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

@RickGr4 wrote:

Eric,

I noticed one of my three XG2s just rolled up to STB 2.3.4.

While watching the CBS Good Morning show earlier this morning I heard a pretty nasty dropout so I am guessing that 2.3.4 doesn't contain a fix for this...

i've been talking to my local cbs broadcast station engineer about audio (x1 equipment only) dropouts lasting a second or two, and picture glitch no audio loss at same time on playback on iPad Mini. He said the studio feed does not have it, and has had some reports of power fluctuations on rime time transmissions. He said he would monitor the outgoing fiber/studio signal to see if it is network feed issues. Last night it was on a playback of the last episode of Scorpion. On x1 DVR just had audio dropouts random about 4 times to 5 times an hour. last night the drop lost some show and commercial time was not obvious that time had been skipped. the ipad at same elapsed time went to color bars for about a minute and a half then resumed at same point the 'skip' on x1 started playing again. Interesting and seems to be pointing to a cbs feed issue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Got the same problem. Audio drops only with X1, not with any other device connected to the TV. TV model is Samsung UN55JU6700, which then I have optical out from that to a Samsung hw-j550. The Xbox, Roku, and Wii U which I have connected the same way, via HDMI, do not experience this. Please for the love of all that is holy, get this resolved. It is way annoying! Expecially for that amout that we are paying for this service!!!!

Official Employee

Thanks for the continued updates! Rustyben - thank you (and your broadcast engineer friend) for the valuable information. I'm not sure that this problem you are describing really pertains to the audio drop issue we're referring to (as the audio drop issue happens across all channels, VOD and DVR), but what you're explaining is excellent information and it will get passed along to our engineers to ponder.

flailking - we feel your pain. I have to listen to these drops all day and night (for testing reasons) and I can assure you that we're pushing hard to get this resolved. We continue to get closer with our fix builds and I will let you all know as soon as they're ready to roll. I will also push it to anyones cable box in front of any planned firmware upgrades so that you can test it for yourselves. Again, once we feel we have a good fix, worthy of your time, we will get it to you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thanks Eric, really good to know Comcast is on this.  I love the X1 service (just got it a few months ago), this is the only significant problem I am having.  I have 6 cable boxes (1 main and 5 satellite) in my home, and the only one I am experiencing this issue on is my main home theater where the X1 box is connected to an audio receiver (all others are connected directly to the TV and have no such problem).  So mine is definitely a communication problem between the audio receiver (Denon) and the X1 box.  Mine is pretty bad, it happens every few minutes so makes my nicest TV with 7 speaker surround sound unwatchable.

Definitely interested in trying the fix as soon as it is available.  Any update on this?  Also wanted to confirm there is really no real use in gettting a technician out to look at it until a solution is found?  Finally, is there a way to register with you so we are on the list to get the update when it is available? 

Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Swap locations of your X1 boxes. If everything is working properly then which box is in which location should not matter.

@dmchen wrote:

Thanks Eric, really good to know Comcast is on this.  I love the X1 service (just got it a few months ago), this is the only significant problem I am having.  I have 6 cable boxes (1 main and 5 satellite) in my home, and the only one I am experiencing this issue on is my main home theater where the X1 box is connected to an audio receiver (all others are connected directly to the TV and have no such problem).  So mine is definitely a communication problem between the audio receiver (Denon) and the X1 box.  Mine is pretty bad, it happens every few minutes so makes my nicest TV with 7 speaker surround sound unwatchable.

Definitely interested in trying the fix as soon as it is available.  Any update on this?  Also wanted to confirm there is really no real use in gettting a technician out to look at it until a solution is found?  Finally, is there a way to register with you so we are on the list to get the update when it is available? 

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

i'd be into helping test the audio dropout firmware, at this point it's terrible, i think i had at least 20 dropouts during last nights game of thrones.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion, but do not think it will help.  I don't think it's that particular X1 box that is the issue, it's the handshake between the (any) X1 box and my Denon receiver.  In all rooms where there is no receiver (direct X1 to TV connection) all is fine, but the one room where the X1 is connected to the receiver, not the TV, is the only place I have this issue.  This seems to fit with what many others are seeing (i.e. X1 dropping when it is connected to an audio receiver).

Regular Contributor

It seems most people that have this issue are using Denon receivers (myself included).  Are other brands affected as well?

Can we please get an update from Comcast on the ETA for this fix?  It had been happening for several months and it seems to be taking an unusual amount of time to rollout a fix.  This should be a higher priority for Comcast than it clearly is.

Official Employee

The problem is NOT exclusive to Denon receivers. We are seeing this in a multitude of wiring/equipment scenarios. We are working hard to find the culprit and are still testing builds daily. The problem is much deeper than a quick fix unfortunately. We are literally working every day to solve this and believe we are on the right track. It is a priority. I will send test builds to those interested. having said that, we do NOT have test builds for all model cable boxes. We are working on that now, as well as a generic fix that will work across the entire X1 platform. thanks to all for your continued patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I've messaged a few of you here on this thread. Please feel free to message me here and I will directly address your specific concerns. Thanks

Regular Visitor

I have the arris x1 box have a problem with split second sound drops. I go into settings and do a soft restart on the box and problems clear up for a while.

@ComcastEricG wrote:

I've messaged a few of you here on this thread. Please feel free to message me here and I will directly address your specific concerns. Thanks

Official Employee

Hi All,

Just a quick update to let you all know that we are closing in on the fix for these audio dropouts. I am currently testing a build on the Pace XG2 that is VERY promising. Actually, if any of you have a Pace XG2 (model XG2v2-P on the bottom of the box) and are experiencing this audio drop problem, I'd be glad to send the build to your box for testing. Message me and we'll make it happen. 

I will continue to update this thread with the results of our findings and push builds to anyone willing to test (and having the appropriate boxes).

Thanks

New Poster

ComcastEricG,

I have the XG2v2-P box and would like to have your latest build pushed to my box.  I am currently experiencing audio dropouts.  What do I need to do/provide to get the build?

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastEric - please check your messages and get back with me regarding the build you sent to my box.
Regular Visitor

Well, I don't have X1 yet but I'm having the same audio problems.

My brother is pushing me to switch, but if X1 has the same problems, it is intollerable.

This is so annoying I'm contemplating droping the TV part all together.

I would rather keep it.  I've been a Comcast customer since they bought out MediaOne (our former cable provider - I sure miss them).  ATT is looking like a good alternative except their door to door salesmen are misinformed.  They tried telling me that they would bring fiber to my house.  Since Google is the only company the FCC would let test it, I'm sure they would have a problem.

Silver Problem Solver

@Larmo1 wrote:

My brother is pushing me to switch, but if X1 has the same problems, it is intollerable.

I would rather keep it.  I've been a Comcast customer since they bought out MediaOne (our former cable provider - I sure miss them).  ATT is looking like a good alternative except their door to door salesmen are misinformed.  They tried telling me that they would bring fiber to my house.  Since Google is the only company the FCC would let test it, I'm sure they would have a problem.

Just an FYI:  I have never had this "audio drop-out" issue.  I have had X1 for three years now.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

At least in my experience, the "audio drop outs" don't happen often enough that I find them intrusive. I have four X1 boxes in my house and I think I notice one drop out every two to three days...

@Larmo1 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

When will it be fixed for the XG1 PX001ANMD?  Thats the model I have

Expert

@psully10 wrote:

When will it be fixed for the XG1 PX001ANMD?  Thats the model I have

that device only has 5 of the possible 6 tuners available, you might consider swapping it out when you have watched most of the videos stored upon it.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Friends,

We're almost there with a fix for these audio drops which I know are driving many of you nuts. I apologize for the time involved in finding this fix, but we're working diligently to get this right. I have been testing some builds that I believe are the ultimate fix. Our challenge at the moment is getting this build to a generic state so it works in all of the X1 boxes across the platform. I have requested that we get test builds as soon as possible so that I can get them to you all. As soon as I can, I will get these out to you for your testing and scrutiny.

Thanks to all for your continued patience.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Friends,

We're almost there with a fix for these audio drops which I know are driving many of you nuts. I apologize for the time involved in finding this fix, but we're working diligently to get this right. I have been testing some builds that I believe are the ultimate fix. Our challenge at the moment is getting this build to a generic state so it works in all of the X1 boxes across the platform. I have requested that we get test builds as soon as possible so that I can get them to you all. As soon as I can, I will get these out to you for your testing and scrutiny.

Thanks to all for your continued patience.

Thanks for the update Eric - looking forward to the fix!

Frequent Visitor

Quick question: 99% of my dropouts happen with ON-Demand TV shows, not live OTA material. I get A LOT of dropouts with On-Demand, in fact. Every few minutes. Almost zero OTA. 

Is this a software/firmware issue that would be addressed by your new build, or should I look elsewhere?

Thank you.

Nick

Silver Problem Solver

I personally think you have a weak signal to your boxes.  If I were you, I would schedule a tech visit.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I will try it. Thank you.

Contributor

Awesome!  I'm having the same problem as the OP verbatim and would volunteer for testing a fix for my unit:

Living Room
Make & Model: DCX-3200HD PX001ANM

Silver Problem Solver

You have both a Motorola legacy box and a Pace X1 DVR in the same room?  Which one is having the issue? The X1?

How do you have them wired up?  Do each get a separate coax input or are you using a coax splitter?

X1 does not work well with coax splitters.

Contributor

I just copied and pasted from the website under devices next to the pic of the X1 box.  The motorola is long gone. 

Official Employee

Hey Friends,

I hope to start pushing test builds with a potential audio drop fix this week.

Raydog1 and Dr-X, I'll be glad to help with your drops as well. Message me with some details about how your stuff is wired, what type of gear you have, etc. and we'll see if we can't help out.

Thanks to all as usual for all of your patience.

I will keep you all posted as things develop.

Thanks again.

Official Employee

If anyone could let me know if the drops have changed/stopped in the last week or so, please do. We've sent some test builds out (random) and I'm hoping for some feedback

Frequent Visitor

I just visited this forum to look for any information on audio dropouts - and found this thread.  I don't recall when the dropouts began for me, but it can't have been too long ago (or it has gotten much worse recently).  Which is really just another way of saying that it's still happening here.  But I do not know whether my DVR has an updated firmware!

Regular Visitor

I don't have X1 but they have gotten much worse.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to discontinue TV service.

Official Employee

Hi All,

I have private messaged most (all) of you requesting details about your systems (makes, models numbers, how it's wired, cable box models, etc.). Most of you have gotten back to me and have recieved test builds to your boxes. Anyone else interested, please let me know and we'll move forward.

We're testing new builds now that are very promising and I'd like to get all of your feedback.

For those with legacy products, please message me any/all details you deem important and we'll see if we can't figure out what you're experiencing.

Thanks to all for your continued patience and help with this. It is greatly appreciated.

Contributor

No drops for me all week.  Thanks!

Visitor

I'd love to test any firmware updates you have for this audio problem. It's really frustrating, especially when watching on demand programs. I think I have the Aris dvr, model is mx011anc
New Poster

Eric, I have an ARRIS Model AX013ANM and a Samsung one-box tv setup. The box is wired directly to the wall via the comcast-supplied coax cable and to the TV via an HDMI cable.

I get the sporadic audio-dropouts, but they go away if I use my xbox one as an intermediate between the comcast box and the TV.

Regular Visitor

Eric,  My box is constantly dropping the audio and it is so frustrating watching anything on DVR. Box is Pace PX001ANC connected to TV with HDMI and directly connected to the wall with coax.  Any help would be appreciated.

Problem Solver

Hi Keitht1974,

I will have to send a signal to your DVR box. Please reply with the best time to send the signal. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Anytime today is fine.  I'm not using it until about 6 usually.

Thank you

Problem Solver

Keitht1974,

I have sent a signal to your DVR box. Please disconnect the power from the DVR box for one minute. Please let us know if you still experiencing an issue.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Eric - sent a couple messages, maybe your not getting them?

Father of the thread needs fix!

X1 -> HDMI -> Samsung JS8500
X1 Firmware - MX011AN_2.4s4_VBN_sey
X1 model - Motorola

Just let me know when you will be downloading and what ver.

Thanks.

Scott Saylor (MRYFLYGUY)
Tucson

Contributor

Drops returned with a vengeance this morning.  Looks like something changed on my box.  It now says XRE Server Version 1.65.04 06/10/2016 13:12.

Can't remember exactly but previously it was a date in May.

Official Employee

In the About section, you will see an STB Version (this is the Firmware version). This is what we need to diagnose. Thanks. Most of you should be on something with 2.3 or 2.4 in it. Please post or message me when you know for certain. Strange things happening with the FW. For some, the latest builds are solving the audio drop problem yet others say there are no changes OR the drops returned after being gone for a while. I will start documenting and tracking and looking at your paricular STB models, etc. The builds behave a little different in different model boxes, so I suspect we have some strange anomolies to iron out. We're getting closer tho, so thank you for your patience. I'll be in touch and continue to update this thread.

Thanks, as always, to all of you.

Contributor

Thanks Eric!

STB Version: PX001AN_2.3p9s1_PROD_HYBse

Silver Problem Solver

@raydog1 wrote:

Thanks Eric!

I have that version and none of my four TV's have the audio dropout issue.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@raydog1 wrote:

Thanks Eric!

RobertWy, you have already stated previously that you have never experienced audio drop outs after 3 years with X1.  Repeatedly posting that you don't have the audio dropout issue is therefore unnecessary and does not benefit this thread whatsoever.

Many of us that send surround signals from our X1 boxes to our AVRs *do* experience regular audio dropouts.  You seem to be one of the lucky ones, but continuing to post that you don't have a problem is not helping those who are experiencing issues.

Silver Problem Solver

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@raydog1 wrote:

Thanks Eric!

RobertWy, you have already stated previously that you have never experienced audio drop outs after 3 years with X1.  Repeatedly posting that you don't have the audio dropout issue is therefore unnecessary and does not benefit this thread whatsoever.

Many of us that send surround signals from our X1 boxes to our AVRs *do* experience regular audio dropouts.  You seem to be one of the lucky ones, but continuing to post that you don't have a problem is not helping those who are experiencing issues.

Point taken.

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

I was very vocal when X1 had an audio dropout problem roughly two years ago. However back then it was primarily a Pace issue. Arris DVRs did not have the problem.

However I can confirm there is a new set of audio dropout issues and I can also confirm it is not limited to just Pace products. My DVR is an Arris V3 and my Companions are Samsung XG2s. They all exhibit audio dropouts but they simply don't happen often enough for me to get upset or excited about it. I can go for days without hearing a dropout. Last week I heard two dropouts back to back but that was the first and only time I noticed it.

@RobertWy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@raydog1 wrote:

Thanks Eric!

Point taken.

Regular Visitor

I don't believe it's an X! issue but rather an HD issue, here's why.  I was watching 'Shark tank' last night in HD and the audio dropouts were unbearable.  It was almost like I had the TV muted.  I switched to the SD channel and there were NONE.  I tried many others and the dropouts only were on the HD cannels but not on any of the SD channels.  Since I'm not using X1 that tells me that it's not X1 at all, it's HD.    Eric, you need to look at HD and not at X1 as the culprit.  A dime will get you a dollar says you'll find it rather quickly and stop pulling your hair out Smiley Happy  You'll be a hero once you do.  I'm pretty sure that most of us here will recommend that you get a well deserved raise.  Good luck and keep up the excellent work.

Remember, I don't even have X!.

Larry

Official Employee

Thanks! I've sent you a private message. I'll look into this ASAP and set up some of the legacy gear right away to test.

Contributor

I also experience this but it doesn't happen all of the time. It might be bad for a few days, and then it goes away for a few days. It coincides with a decrease in quality of picture. Leads me to assume that it is a signal issue in my situation.