Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Contributor

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

I've been battling momentary, random audio (only) dropouts since my X1 was installed earlier this year. I know this issue has been well documented on this forum for several years but I'm wondering - has anyone has found a definitive 2015 resolution for this problem?

I am currently on my 3d X1 trying to resolve either 1) a loud fan, 2) audio dropouts, or 3) both. The current box is a Pace box with a fairly loud fan which is connected directly to a Samsung SHUD 4K TV's One Connect mini I/O hub. Unfortunately, I did not check the manufacturer of the first two X1s so I can't say whether I've tried a Motorola or not. Is installing an Arris/Motorola made X1 still the resolution that will most likely resolve this audio dropout problem? I'm seriously ready to deem Comcast in breach of contract and resign with DirecTV. I certainly have the support cases logged to substantiate a claim of non-performance!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Yes, get an Arris DVR...

mryflyguy wrote:

I've been battling momentary, random audio (only) dropouts since my X1 was installed earlier this year. I know this issue has been well documented on this forum for several years but I'm wondering - has anyone has found a definitive 2015 resolution for this problem?

I am currently on my 3d X1 trying to resolve either 1) a loud fan, 2) audio dropouts, or 3) both. The current box is a Pace box with a fairly loud fan which is connected directly to a Samsung SHUD 4K TV's One Connect mini I/O hub. Unfortunately, I did not check the manufacturer of the first two X1s so I can't say whether I've tried a Motorola or not. Is installing an Arris/Motorola made X1 still the resolution that will most likely resolve this audio dropout problem? I'm seriously ready to deem Comcast in breach of contract and resign with DirecTV. I certainly have the support cases logged to substantiate a claim of non-performance!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott 

Contributor

So, Comcast was out, rechecked the signal strength & quality and swapped the Pace X1 DVR for an Arris model. The fan is nearly inaudible and it appears to be handling the audio dropouts much better but they're still occurring, maybe 1-2/hour of live or DVR programming.

The interesting observation about these drop outs is that they can not be reproduced by replaying the drop out segment on the X1. It does not reoccur so this is definitely some kind of signal handshake problem between the DVR & TV. Perhaps a firmware issue?

I watched a movie on Apple TV last night with absolutely no issues just to eliminate my Samsung JS8500 TV as possibie source. DirecTV is looking good, once again.
Silver Problem Solver

My uneducated guess is that it is not between the DVR and the TV, unless you have an issue with the HDMI cable and its connection to the DVR and the TV.

I don't have audio drop-outs, but I am using HDMI from the X1 box to an a/v receiver and another HDMI from the receiver to my TV.

If you have only one HDMI cable in the connection, you should be having less problems than I have.

I have three other TV's that use HDMI between their X1 boxes and the TV, and I don't have any audio dropouts.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

mryflyguy wrote:
So, Comcast was out, rechecked the signal strength & quality and swapped the Pace X1 DVR for an Arris model. The fan is nearly inaudible and it appears to be handling the audio dropouts much better but they're still occurring, maybe 1-2/hour of live or DVR programming.

The interesting observation about these drop outs is that they can not be reproduced by replaying the drop out segment on the X1. It does not reoccur so this is definitely some kind of signal handshake problem between the DVR & TV. Perhaps a firmware issue?

I watched a movie on Apple TV last night with absolutely no issues just to eliminate my Samsung JS8500 TV as possibie source. DirecTV is looking good, once again.

I also have split-second audio dropouts that occur 1-2 times per hour (sometimes less, sometimes more).  Like you, if I rewind and replay the programming, I cannot reproduce the issue which means that the problem is NOT in the source content.

I have tried 2 brand new Arris X1 boxes and a Pace X1 box in the past 2 months to no avail.  The problem occurs with all of them.  My signal levels are excellent and I've had 2 techs out to investigate and they all said everything looked great signal-wise.

I am connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI and outputting surround sound from the X1.  I have also tried sending the audio over a TOSLINK/optical cable and the problem still persisted, so that rules out HDMI issues.

So I have to imagine there is a firmware issue of some sort and I can't believe more people aren't having this issue.  Comcast opened a ticket and I've been in communication with them for several weeks (providing date/timestamps of when the problem occured, etc.) and they are basically telling me that they don't have any idea why I'm having the problem at this point and that there is nothing they can do.

mryflyguy (or anyone else) - are you still having issues?

Gold Problem Solver

My guess is you still have unresolved signal issues or the issue is related to the original broadcast.

Just because your Apple TV was OK does not rule out the original broadcast.

Connect some sort of antenna to your TV and compare "over the air" broadcasts to what you are receiving on Comcast... You might be surprised how many audio "hiccups" are part of the original broadcast.

jkozlow3 wrote:

mryflyguy wrote:

I also have split-second audio dropouts that occur 1-2 times per hour (sometimes less, sometimes more).  Like you, if I rewind and replay the programming, I cannot reproduce the issue which means that the problem is NOT in the source content.

I have tried 2 brand new Arris X1 boxes and a Pace X1 box in the past 2 months to no avail.  The problem occurs with all of them.  My signal levels are excellent and I've had 2 techs out to investigate and they all said everything looked great signal-wise.

I am connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI and outputting surround sound from the X1.  I have also tried sending the audio over a TOSLINK/optical cable and the problem still persisted, so that rules out HDMI issues.

So I have to imagine there is a firmware issue of some sort and I can't believe more people aren't having this issue.  Comcast opened a ticket and I've been in communication with them for several weeks (providing date/timestamps of when the problem occured, etc.) and they are basically telling me that they don't have any idea why I'm having the problem at this point and that there is nothing they can do.

mryflyguy (or anyone else) - are you still having issues?

Regular Contributor

Yes, I occasionally get the same audio hiccups that you speak of.  I didn't compalin here because there are so many other problems that need to be addressed, and this one is very minimal for me.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

My guess is you still have unresolved signal issues or the issue is related to the original broadcast.

Connect some sort of antenna to your TV and compare "over the air" broadcasts to what you are receiving on Comcast... You might be surprised how many audio "hiccups" are part of the original broadcast. 

How could there be issues with the source when both the orignal poster (mrflyguy) and myself can never recreate the problem when rewinding/replaying live tv immediately after the audio "blip"?  The problem never re-occurs.  There is clearly still an issue with these boxes (software, hardware, who knows).

Regular Contributor

CoreyD wrote:

Yes, I occasionally get the same audio hiccups that you speak of.  I didn't compalin here because there are so many other problems that need to be addressed, and this one is very minimal for me.

Thanks for sharing Corey D!  We need to get Comcast to investigate this issue more seriously.
Gold Problem Solver

Ever heard of "buffering" digital signals? Also, if the problem cannot be recreated on demand that is the very nature of signal issues...

You are new here. I have had X1 for well over two years now and I have posted almost 9,000 times in this forum.

Nobody wants to admit or acknowledge they have signal related issues because it may result in a service call. I don't care. You either want it fixed or you don't. If the specter of a $30 to $50 service call is too much for people to deal with (which can easily be refunded) then maybe they should not be paying $200/month for cable TV service in the first place.

The issue of audio dropouts was a big issues in this forum from roughly two years ago until about eight to ten months ago. The solution was proven to be the Arris built DVR and updated firmware. I doubt that has changed but the Arris boxes have always been better in regards to audio issues.

I contend that anyone who has an Arris built DVR and is still experiencing audio dropouts they are either signal related or broadcast related.

FYI I during the NFL playoffs this year, I have occasionally switching over to my antenna to watch the games. I have noticed a couple of audio dropouts. This PROVES that any problem is most likely network/broadcast related...

jkozlow3 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

How could there be issues with the source when both the orignal poster (mrflyguy) and myself can never recreate the problem when rewinding/replaying live tv immediately after the audio "blip"?  The problem never re-occurs.  There is clearly still an issue with these boxes (software, hardware, who knows).

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Ever heard of "buffering" digital signals? Also, if the problem cannot be recreated on demand that is the very nature of signal issues...

You are new here. I have had X1 for well over two years now and I have posted almost 9,000 times in this forum.

Nobody wants to admit or acknowledge they have signal related issues because it may result in a service call. I don't care. You either want it fixed or you don't. If the specter of a $30 to $50 service call is too much for people to deal with (which can easily be refunded) then maybe they should not be paying $200/month for cable TV service in the first place.

The issue of audio dropouts was a big issues in this forum from roughly two years ago until about eight to ten months ago. The solution was proven to be the Arris built DVR and updated firmware. I doubt that has changed but the Arris boxes have always been better in regards to audio issues.

I contend that anyone who has an Arris built DVR and is still experiencing audio dropouts they are either signal related or broadcast related.

FYI I during the NFL playoffs this year, I have occasionally switching over to my antenna to watch the games. I have noticed a couple of audio dropouts. This PROVES that any problem is most likely network/broadcast related...

I've had 2 different techs come out a couple of times in the past 2 months and neither one of them could find any signal issues.  I'm not sure what else to do in that regard.  It's not about the cost of a truck roll.  2 techs have told me that my signal is fine after checking it inside the house, outside the house and at the tap.  You seem to be making (rude) assumptions that people don't want to "admit" they have signal issues because we're afraid of having to pay for a service call, but what about those who have already had techs come out??  Where do we go from here?

I'm not familiar with buffering of digital signals, no.  I have noticed a couple of issues that WERE in the source broadcast where I could rewind live tv and replay and recreate the problem, but those issues have slightly different sympotms and they are few and far between.  The VAST majority of the time that I notice an audio blip, I rewind and replay and the problem does not present itself again.

I have tried 2 of the Arris boxes (newest V3 model) and I have replaced my cabling and tried sending audio over TOSLINK/optical to no avail.  So I either have an undiagnosed signal issue or there are still issues with the Arris box and/or firmware in certain setups.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry but a great many people posting in this forum will do just about anything to avoid a service charge no matter how large or small.

But I think you missed a big part of what I was trying to say. These dropouts could be the broadcast and not Comcast's fault.

I mentioned that I have been bouncing back and forth between Comcast X1 service and my "over the air" antenna. I have noted an occasional audio drop out when using both on the same channel. That strongly suggests a broadcast issue which is not Comcast's fault. If you want to end this conversation for sure, the easiest way would be to connect an antenna to your TV and compare. 

My issue here is how many newbies jump into this forum and are ready to proclaim it is a software problem. That is wrong. Why? If it were a "software" problem this forum would have lit up like an X-Mas tree. But it hasn't so that means the issue is local and isolated.

I agree that you may have an isolated and possibly underground issue effecting signals. I was there back in 2005 and 2006. It appears these issues get worse when it gets colder outside. Things are fine when a tech shows up but things change as the temp varies.

Unfortunately, all you can do is keep badgering Comcast. Yes I am aware there is more pleasurable things to do...

jkozlow3 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Regular Contributor

Yes, I could (and possibly will) try an OTA antenna just to see if the problem persists.  

That said, I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if I rewind and replay the same material immediately after experiencing an audio hiccup and the problem does not present itself again, that the problem was NOT in the source broadcast and that the problem must be in the box/software failing to properly communicate the signal to my receiver without errors.  If this is an incorrect assumption, I would like to better understand how the problem can be source-related, yet not show up in the recording if I rewind/replay.  Can you provide more info on this RickGr4?

Gold Problem Solver

I suggest you learn how to check your own signal levels and error counts.

I also suggest you try different inputs on your AV receiver.

Please post the model numbers of your receiver and TV. Have you check both of them to see if their firmware is up to date?

jkozlow3 wrote:

Yes, I could (and possibly will) try an OTA antenna just to see if the problem persists.  

That said, I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if I rewind and replay the same material immediately after experiencing an audio hiccup and the problem does not present itself again, that the problem was NOT in the source broadcast and that the problem must be in the box/software failing to properly communicate the signal to my receiver without errors.  If this is an incorrect assumption, I would like to better understand how the problem can be source-related, yet not show up in the recording if I rewind/replay.  Can you provide more info on this RickGr4?

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Please post the model numbers of your receiver and TV. Have you check both of them to see if their firmware is up to date?

I know how to get to the X1 diagnostics screen.  Where do I check for error counts?  Under System>In-band network I see correctable and uncorrectable codeword columns, but I have never seen a value other than "0" in either column (I check daily).  Should I be looking somewhere else?

I actually already tried a different input on my receiver a couple of weeks ago at the same time I was swapping HDMI cables, etc. and that didn't resolve the issue.

Denon AVR-3311CI receiver

Samsung UN65F8000 TV (only being used as a monitor - this should not be impacting audio)

Firmware is up to date on both.

Gold Problem Solver

If the TV is connected to any other device in your system via HDMI, it certainly can effect the audio...

Still think what you are noting could be in the broadcast. Suggest you connect an antenna and compare.

Care to post your signal levels???

jkozlow3 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

I know how to get to the X1 diagnostics screen.  Where do I check for error counts?  Under System>In-band network I see correctable and uncorrectable codeword columns, but I have never seen a value other than "0" in either column (I check daily).  Should I be looking somewhere else?

I actually already tried a different input on my receiver a couple of weeks ago at the same time I was swapping HDMI cables, etc. and that didn't resolve the issue.

Denon AVR-3311CI receiver

Samsung UN65F8000 TV (only being used as a monitor - this should not be impacting audio)

Firmware is up to date on both.

Regular Contributor

Downstream: +6db

SNR: 38

Upstream: 40

These are my current levels (it's cold, so better signal levels).  Until yesterday, I used to have a 2-way splitter in the living room which would bring the downstream levels down by ~3.5 db.  Typically, I was seeing downstream levels closer to 0 (+/- 1) on most days though.  I have had the audio hiccups with and without the splitter in place (I removed it to see if it would make a difference).

I am also using an EVO1-5-u/u amp that I picked up recently, but the problem happens with and without the amp (home run configuration with the amp installed at the demarcation point).

Gold Problem Solver

What happens if you bypass your AV receiver entirely? Connect HDMI directly form your X1 box to the TV?

jkozlow3 wrote:

Downstream: +6db

SNR: 38

Upstream: 40

These are my current levels (it's cold, so better signal levels).  Until yesterday, I used to have a 2-way splitter in the living room which would bring the downstream levels down by ~3.5 db.  Typically, I was seeing downstream levels closer to 0 (+/- 1) on most days though.  I have had the audio hiccups with and without the splitter in place (I removed it to see if it would make a difference).

I am also using an EVO1-5-u/u amp that I picked up recently, but the problem happens with and without the amp (home run configuration with the amp installed at the demarcation point).

New Poster

I am also having the X1 audio drop-outs with my 2014 HU8500 Samsung 4K TV I purchased in October of 2015.  Are most of the audio drop out complaints people are reporting with Samsung TVs?  I have had Samsung repair out to my house twice believing this was a Samsung hardware issue but now believe it is an X1 issue or a Samsung firmware conflict with the X1 box.  I have had the same X1 and Pioneer home theater setup with my older Vizio TV and never had any audio drop-outs when using the surround sound through the Pioneer or just using the HDMI pass through.  So this makes me think it is some sort of Samsung-Comcast HDMI handshake issue (firmware is my best guess).

My experiments so far show that the audio dropouts are far less likey if I plug the X1 HDMI cable into the Samsung TV after the TV is turned on (versus turning on the TV with the X1 already plugged in)?  The X1 box is apparantly always on so the only way to sequence the HDMI connection is to plug it in after the TV is already booted.

Silver Problem Solver

Just an FYI; I have a Samsung 3D LED connected by HDMI to my a/v receiver and an X! DVR connected to my receiver, both by HDMI.

I saw some dropouts when I first got X! two+ years ago.  I rechecked my X1 coax connection and its connection to the wall plate and then reseated all my HDMI connections.

Then I went into the attic and checked the coax connection to the Comcast powered amp.

Then I went outside and checked the coax connections from the pole to the splitter at the entrance to my home.

Something I did helped.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

I have frequent audio dropouts (multiple times per day) using a Denon receiver for all audio with the video being routed to my Samsung TV.

I have tried 3 brand new X1 boxes (2 Arris and a 1 Pace) and have had the issue with all of them.  Comcast has been out twice to check my signals (inside the house, outside the house, at the tap, etc.) and they keep telling me everything is fine.

I strongly believe there is some sort of software issue causing the dropouts.  99% of the time the dropouts are not recreatable if I rewind live tv and replay.  This leads me to believe the problem is NOT in the source broadcast but rather in the way the X1 box is communicating with my receiver.

Silver Problem Solver

If it was a software issue, shouldn't everyone with the same boxes be having the same issue?

Regular Contributor

Not necessarily. Most software bugs don't affect 100% of users. That's why they don't get caught during testing. It could be a compatibility issue with certain equipment, etc.
New Poster

I have reconnected my cables and boxes several times and the audio drop-outs sometimes go away for a while, but always have come back.  This is a frustrating problem because it is difficult to reproduce.  One day I will turn the TV on and I will get audio drop-outs right away, usually at repeatable intervals (i.e. every 49 seconds, every 3 minutes, etc.), and then the next day I will watch several shows in a row and not get an audio drop-out?  The drop-outs are not coming from the content since I can replay the same recorded show on my upstairs X1 box with no audio drop-outs.  The drop-outs don't care if I am going through my Pioneer HDMI receiver (as pass through) or directly connected to the TV (and yes I have tried several high quality calbes).  I even have swapped my upstairs X1 box with my downstairs X1 box and the audio drop-outs stay with my Samsung UHD 4K TV.

I have read that the X1 audio drop-out problem is solved (mostly) by swapping out a PACE X1 box for an ARRIS X1 box.  Does anyone know what firmware is required on an ARRIS X1 box to solve the problem?  I believe I already have an ARRIS box, but am not sure if I have the right firmware.

Thanks!

Contributor

In the past two months or so my audio dropouts have returned, too.  I originally had the problem with the green light Pace box.  Upon advice from Rick, I insisted upon an Arris box.  This seemed to solve the problem for probably almost a year.  Then I switched all my non-DVR boxes to the new Xi3s.  However, now i am getting audio dropouts at both my DVR box and the Xi3 box in my bedroom (havent watched TV enough in the other rooms to determine if those Xi3 boxes are also getting dropouts.  The Arris box uses HDMI to connect to a YSP-3000 sound bar/receiver and then to my Panasonic TV.  The Xi3 box connects by HDMI to my Smasung TV and by optical cable to a YAS-101 soundbar.

Seeing the problem at both TVs seems to suggest: 1) it is not specific to any box; 2) it is not specific to the connection type, nor the type of wire; 3) it is not specific to the TV or the A/V receiver or soundbar.  So I'm kind of at a loss.  The signals have been checked by Comcast and they said they are fine.  Maybe it is a broadcast-related issue.  I dunno, but I do not recall ever having audio dropouts with the old Xfinity system.  I'm pretty much resigned that this is a problem that I have to live with, but it is a little frustrating.  The one thing that seems to improve the situation is re-booting the box.  For the first 24-48 hours after a re-boot the frequency of the audio dropouts is greatly reduced if not eliminated, but they increase as time goes on without rebooting.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to solve.  If it requires checking signals, someone needs to tell me how to do that and what values am I looking for.

Gold Problem Solver

I recently became aware there is a new set of audio drop out problems that appear to be unrelated to the previous problems from two years ago.

The right people within Comcast are very aware of the situation and are working on it.
Contributor

That's somewhat encouraging that it is a known problem.  And the dropouts seem a little different that before.  More brief in duration I would say, but maybe its just my imagination.  Anyhow, Rick, tell us what you know about the cause of these dropouts and what types of solutions are being proposed.  I doubt it's a box issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a source issue (the signal from the street; from the broadcaster or something like that).

Expert

asmarks wrote:

In the past two months or so my audio dropouts have returned, too.  I originally had the problem with the green light Pace box.  Upon advice from Rick, I insisted upon an Arris box.  This seemed to solve the problem for probably almost a year.  Then I switched all my non-DVR boxes to the new Xi3s.  However, now i am getting audio dropouts at both my DVR box and the Xi3 box in my bedroom (havent watched TV enough in the other rooms to determine if those Xi3 boxes are also getting dropouts.  The Arris box uses HDMI to connect to a YSP-3000 sound bar/receiver and then to my Panasonic TV.  The Xi3 box connects by HDMI to my Smasung TV and by optical cable to a YAS-101 soundbar.

Seeing the problem at both TVs seems to suggest: 1) it is not specific to any box; 2) it is not specific to the connection type, nor the type of wire; 3) it is not specific to the TV or the A/V receiver or soundbar.  So I'm kind of at a loss.  The signals have been checked by Comcast and they said they are fine.  Maybe it is a broadcast-related issue.  I dunno, but I do not recall ever having audio dropouts with the old Xfinity system.  I'm pretty much resigned that this is a problem that I have to live with, but it is a little frustrating.  The one thing that seems to improve the situation is re-booting the box.  For the first 24-48 hours after a re-boot the frequency of the audio dropouts is greatly reduced if not eliminated, but they increase as time goes on without rebooting.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to solve.  If it requires checking signals, someone needs to tell me how to do that and what values am I looking for.

you should swap out at least one of the xi3's for an xg2. it will then supply channels and IP services for the other xi3's freeing up your DVR's tuners for use in recording.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Are you suggesting that I have one Arris DVR box, on XG2 box and the rest Xi3 boxes?  Are you suggesting that such a change will solve my audio dropout issues?  I don't have any issues with DVR recordings or room for the same.

Regular Contributor

I don't think Rustyben was suggesting that the change would solve your audio issues - he was saying that it would be a better configuration from a DVR perspective.

Swapping boxes will not fix the current audio issue.  I've tried several of the newest X1 DVR models (2 Arris and 1 Pace) and the issue persists with all of them.

Frequent Visitor

This audio dropout is ridiculous. No one from Comcast on phone or in person has a clue. As I write this I have a had two audio drop outs. More like someone turned volume by half for a split second. Happens on any channel. Panasonic plasma st55, Sony blu Ray 5.1, hdmi from x1 to blu Ray and then hdmi from blu Ray to tv. Tried optical no difference. I also get pop noise in between commercials while watching on demand. I have had a pace and two Samsung x1 boxes. Arris not available in non dvr x1 according to Comcast. I had this same audio problem when going from old large gray Comcast box to smaller non x1 black boxes. Fix was switching from a Motorola to arris. Problems back now with this x1 stuff. The menu and voice remote cool, but if no fix soon I'll be done with Comcast. 3rd drop down just occurred as I finish this post. Ridiculous!
Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes are extremely signal sensitive. Suggest you have a tech out to check signal levels. The meter in the menu of the X1 boxes is nearly pointless.

FYI Arris bought the division of Motorola that makes cable boxes...
Regular Contributor

Zman87 wrote:
This audio dropout is ridiculous. No one from Comcast on phone or in person has a clue. As I write this I have a had two audio drop outs. More like someone turned volume by half for a split second. Happens on any channel. Panasonic plasma st55, Sony blu Ray 5.1, hdmi from x1 to blu Ray and then hdmi from blu Ray to tv. Tried optical no difference. I also get pop noise in between commercials while watching on demand. I have had a pace and two Samsung x1 boxes. Arris not available in non dvr x1 according to Comcast. I had this same audio problem when going from old large gray Comcast box to smaller non x1 black boxes. Fix was switching from a Motorola to arris. Problems back now with this x1 stuff. The menu and voice remote cool, but if no fix soon I'll be done with Comcast. 3rd drop down just occurred as I finish this post. Ridiculous!

I have the same issues and I have tried 2 brand new Arris boxes and a Pace box.  I've also tried optical instead of HDMI and it made no difference for me either.  If I rewind/replay live TV and try to recreate the issue, it almost never occurs again, so I don't believe the problem is in the source signal.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
X1 boxes are extremely signal sensitive. Suggest you have a tech out to check signal levels. The meter in the menu of the X1 boxes is nearly pointless.

RickGr4,

I'm a bit confused by your comment.  Just a few posts up, you said that there is a new set of audio dropout issues that Comcast is very aware of and that they are working on it.  Now you are suggesting that we may have signal issues (I know for a fact that I do not).

Gold Problem Solver

Knowing what I know about X1, I would want to know FOR SURE that I can rule out signals. In my case, the audio dropouts happen so rarely that they don't bother me. I suspect there is two reasons. First, I don't have any Pace equipment. I have Arris and Samsung. I have a well founded distrust of Pace products and I am so happy they are gone. Second, my signal levels have been confirmed to be EXCELLENT which is the main reason X1 has provided me with reliable service for 2.5 years now.

Just how do you know that signals are not the problem? There is only one for sure way to rule out signals problems and according to your post you haven't done that. The only way to get a complete picture of your X1 signals is to have a tech on site checking them. Comcast employees cannot see the entire signal picture from remote locations.

I am suggesting you get your signals checked for no other reason than to be able to rule it out as a problem.

jkozlow3 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

RickGr4,

I'm a bit confused by your comment.  Just a few posts up, you said that there is a new set of audio dropout issues that Comcast is very aware of and that they are working on it.  Now you are suggesting that we may have signal issues (I know for a fact that I do not).

Frequent Visitor

Signals were checked by tech, they were good. Being that it happened last time I upgraded boxes before x1 and was fixed by changing brand of box, lady at xfinity store had suggested; I know it has to be box issue since it started again upgrading to this x1 box. The only thing optical cable fixed was getting rid of pop noise when pausing on demand, etc. Pop is due to 5.1 to 2.0 when you pause and then back again. Buy Ray player indicates on tv when audio changes. Each time an stop? Audio drop occurs blu Ray also indicates 5.1 on screen which would lead me to believe it's a brief loss of connection or something between blu Ray and cable box.
Valued Contributor

Zman87 wrote:
Signals were checked by tech, they were good. Being that it happened last time I upgraded boxes before x1 and was fixed by changing brand of box, lady at xfinity store had suggested; I know it has to be box issue since it started again upgrading to this x1 box. The only thing optical cable fixed was getting rid of pop noise when pausing on demand, etc. Pop is due to 5.1 to 2.0 when you pause and then back again. Buy Ray player indicates on tv when audio changes. Each time an stop? Audio drop occurs blu Ray also indicates 5.1 on screen which would lead me to believe it's a brief loss of connection or something between blu Ray and cable box.

Hi.  We are aware of this audio issue and my team is working VERY hard to find the root cause and eliminate it.  As I have more information to share, you'll all be the first to hear it.  Thanks and please keep reporting issues like these!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Update at 1 year.

I have been through six (6) X1 boxes (and service calls to check signal - all within spec) and the audio dropouts persist. Most of the boxes were Pace X1 boxes but it was suggested the Motorolla/Arris boxes are less susceptible to audio dropouts and I've now had a Arris for about 3 months. Dropouts are significantly reduced but I always experience a few during a 3-4 hour viewing session. Never - NEVER - have I had a perfect viewing experience on either live TV or DVR'd programming.

THERE IS CURRENTLY NO;
SIGNAL STRENGTH,
PROGRAMMING,
HARDWARE,
FIRMWARE OR
HDMI CABLING
FIX FOR THIS X1 AUDIO DROPOUT PROBLEM!

If you live in a market area where this does not happen, consider yourself lucky. I just rolled into the second year of a 2 year agreement and lost a few discounts (about $15 more/month) and I'm seriously considering terminating my service due to breach of contract. Comcast is CLEARLY unable to deliver a trouble free signal. Any questions, they can just take a look at my service history.

DirecTV does not take the satellite dish back when service is terminated because they know you'll be back. Sometime between now and Jan 1st, I'll be back too.

I give up.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastNeal, if your company is aware of these issues and no current solution, then I consider that a failure in delivery of service. If your going to deliver what I would consider 75% service reliability, I would expect to see that reflection in my bill. I'm in Metro Detroit area. I'm paying $110/month, which I think is a bit much for sub-par service. Add to that, when I call to complain, I've had reps say please hold, place me on hold, then hang up. Or say, "a rep will call to take a complaint", I never hear back. Or sales reps who have no clue about the services they are selling you on the phone. In my case, four different reps between billing and customer service said I would be paying four different prices, one said double play, one said triple play. When I finally spoke to someone in America, that mess was at least resolved. I'll give it a little longer, but maybe it's time to drop.
Gold Problem Solver

Suggest you read Comcast's term and conditions policy of service. You would quickly realize you are wasting your time...

Here is the thing that most people posting in this forum simply do not understand. Comcast (like all major telecoms) budget to lose THOUSANDS of customers every single day. It is called "churn". They simply do not care if one more customer leaves them. They figured out decades ago that they will not be able to satisfy every single customer.

I have been posting in this forum for over two years. I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years. If I have learned anything about Comcast, threatening Comcast, browbeating Comcast, berating Comcast falls on extremely deaf ears. They don't care about the one customer. They might care about the 10's of thousand customers.

Sorry to tell you this but let's focus on things we possibly can make better....

FYI, nobody from Comcast recently posting in this forum deals with billing/pricing issues.

Zman87 wrote:
ComcastNeal, if your company is aware of these issues and no current solution, then I consider that a failure in delivery of service. If your going to deliver what I would consider 75% service reliability, I would expect to see that reflection in my bill. I'm in Metro Detroit area. I'm paying $110/month, which I think is a bit much for sub-par service. Add to that, when I call to complain, I've had reps say please hold, place me on hold, then hang up. Or say, "a rep will call to take a complaint", I never hear back. Or sales reps who have no clue about the services they are selling you on the phone. In my case, four different reps between billing and customer service said I would be paying four different prices, one said double play, one said triple play. When I finally spoke to someone in America, that mess was at least resolved. I'll give it a little longer, but maybe it's time to drop.

Frequent Visitor

I realize that. Most companies share that same approach. Needed to vent.
Contributor

Prior to drinking the Comcast X1 Koolaid, I had performance internet only + DirecTV and was very satisfied with the internet service. I'll probably throw them a bone and go back to Internet only Svc.

Cheers!!
Contributor

So I was away for a week on vacation.  Just prior to that we had an outage which I think was due in part to a tree falling across the street, but the repairs were done from the street and Comcast's offices.  Once the service was restored I believe the audio dropout problem persisted, but maybe slightly less frequent.  However, since I have returned from vacation I still have not detected a single audio dropout in the last two day.  We did have another service outage for about two hours late yesterday afternoon, but thats a separate story and the audio dropout issue seems to have resolved itself at least for the time being.

Not sure that helps anyone and I have no clue what was done during the outages, but maybe Comcast has figured out and solved the problem, at least here in the suburbs of Boston, MA.

New Poster

ComcastNeal, any update on this?  I am experiencing the same issue.

Official Employee

Hi all. I work on ComcastNeals team and I can assure all of you that we are still working very hard on this. We're currently testing many potential fixes, but it is a slow process, as we have to thoroughly test each model box at length and any potential fix has to work across all X1 models. Rest assured, this has become a personal mission for our team and several other teams here at Comcast and we'll keep you posted as things develop. Thanks for you patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I wanted all of you on this specific thread to know that we're close to resolving the audio drop issue. We're testing several FW builds now that are VERY promising. The challenge will be to get this to a global fix that works across all the X1 boxes (yes, the Arris XG1's have the problem as well, just not as frequesnt due to the different chipset than all the others). I am hoping to have something next week that I can push to any of you who may be interested. This push would be specific to the audio drop problem and would be well in front of the larger patch release that goes out and addresses several issues. Please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns. As always, please know that we're working hard to resolve this issue (as an audio geek, this has been killing me personally). Regardless, we appreciate your patience and want to get his resolved as soon as possible. Thanks.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

Eric,

I noticed one of my three XG2s just rolled up to STB 2.3.4.

While watching the CBS Good Morning show earlier this morning I heard a pretty nasty dropout so I am guessing that 2.3.4 doesn't contain a fix for this...
Official Employee

Nope, not related. Thanks for sharing tho. I'll keep you posted as to when this happens. 

Contributor

I probably speak for most of us in this thread who are interested enough or bothered enough by the audio dropout issue to actually discuss it, in saying that we appreciate that someone at Comcast has both acknowledged and is tyring to address the problem.  I know I would be interested in trying out any fix (even in beta) as soon as it is available.  Thanks EricG.

Official Employee

No, the Thanks go to you asmarks, and everyone else who has been patiently waiting for this to get resolved. We're very encouraged with the early results on several of the X1 boxes. Again, I will keep you all posted and as soon as we're ready with a FW push. I have my fingers crossed that this will be as early as next week, but remain uncertain. Regardless, I will keep you all informed. Thanks again.