Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Expert

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts - RESOLVED!

@Nacho3 wrote:

My STB Version is PX001AN_2.14p11s2_PROD_HYBse

unfortunately you have the very earliest version of set top box DVR. It has the sound issues you are experiencing and has only 5 tuners. When you have the DVR caught up swap it for the version 3 or HD/4k version 4 DVR. the interface (menu) is so much faster on the newer versions and the version 4 will have you ready for 4K/UHD TVs (no clock on the version 4 DVR).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Please forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by once the DVR is caught up? Do you mean once I'm caught up with all of my shows?  If I swapped out the box now wouldn't all of the recordings still be saved to my account  or only on that cable/DVR box?

So you're saying that I need to swap out my cable box for a newer box, correct?

Expert

@Nacho3 wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by once the DVR is caught up? Do you mean once I'm caught up with all of my shows?  If I swapped out the box now wouldn't all of the recordings still be saved to my account  or only on that cable/DVR box?

So you're saying that I need to swap out my cable box for a newer box, correct?

yes on your last question. the cloud DVR has the last 60 hours recorded on the cloud DVR. if you swap equipment the cloud recordings will show up on your home DVR but as new recordings are added the older '60' recordings will drop off. I have a DVR that I want to swap out but will wait until i've 'watched it' nearly to empty. you can see your current cloud DVR contents by using a mobile device or PC using the various streaming methods (apps/website).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Okay then. Thank you for your help. Another question just to help me better understand, if I swap out the main cable box, my shows will still show up on the DVR storage, correct? I have less than 20% used up on my storage.
Expert

@Nacho3 wrote:
Okay then. Thank you for your help. Another question just to help me better understand, if I swap out the main cable box, my shows will still show up on the DVR storage, correct? I have less than 20% used up on my storage.

the answer to that is 'maybe'. ther reason it is so hard to give yes/no answer is it depends on the rate of new incoming recordings that remove the oldest cloud DVR recordings that cause you to lose those recordings.  if you use a smart device and the xfinity stream TV app view recordings and see what is currently there.  as you add new 'hours' of programs and space is needed on the cloud DVR the oldest will fall off but they don't exist on your hard drive so they are then lost.  

Frequent Visitor

We just upgraded to X1 service and we're getting audio dropouts at a rate of 5-15 per hour.  This is happening on both TVs:

- Main X1 box is connected to a Sony 4k TV via the Xfinity included HDMI cable

- Auxiliary X1 box is connected to an LG 4k TV via a Monoprice 2.2 HDMI cable, and then from the TV to my Anthem reciever via Opt/Toslink.  

Since it's happening on two different TV's, wired two different ways, what should I troubleshoot first?  

Expert

@wjdmboyce wrote:

We just upgraded to X1 service and we're getting audio dropouts at a rate of 5-15 per hour.  This is happening on both TVs:

- Main X1 box is connected to a Sony 4k TV via the Xfinity included HDMI cable

- Auxiliary X1 box is connected to an LG 4k TV via a Monoprice 2.2 HDMI cable, and then from the TV to my Anthem reciever via Opt/Toslink.  

Since it's happening on two different TV's, wired two different ways, what should I troubleshoot first?  

using the voice remote say "about". please reply with your STB version line (for example mine is MX011AN).

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding!  

Main unit:  PX022AN_3.1p8s1_PROD_sey

Secondary unit:  CXD01ANI_3.1p9s2_PROD_sey

Found another potential issue...

On my TV (the LG OLED) there is severe motion juddering when the X1 video output is set to 1080p60.  I'm quite certain the LG had sufficient video processing power to properly and smoothly display 1080p60, but watching a hockey game is headache inducing. 

So far, the only thing I'm impressed with since upgrading to X1 is the user interface, and menus.  

Silver Problem Solver

@wjdmboyce wrote:

Thanks for responding!  

On my TV (the LG OLED) there is severe motion juddering when the X1 video output is set to 1080p60.  I'm quite certain the LG had sufficient video processing power to properly and smoothly display 1080p60, but watching a hockey game is headache inducing. 

So far, the only thing I'm impressed with since upgrading to X1 is the user interface, and menus.  

Did you try the 2160 setting?2160p60 HD.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@wjdmboyce wrote:

Thanks for responding!  

Did you try the 2160 setting?2160p60 HD.jpg

Hmmm... I don't have that setting available on either of our boxes.  I rewired it so the X1 box goes to my Anthem first, then to the TV, and that eliminated the judder on the 1080p60 setting.  

I'm not sure we signed up for 4k.  

Diamond Problem Solver

You have, as you posted, an XG2 and an XiD. Robert probably didn’t read all your info and was referring to a 4K DVR. You won’t find that setting on your X1 boxes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:
You have, as you posted, an XG2 and an XiD. Robert probably didn’t read all your info and was referring to a 4K DVR. You won’t find that setting on your X1 boxes

How do we get the 4k DVR, and would that provide 4k video to the secondary box?  

Diamond Problem Solver

You can request one through the instructions on this thread.
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898

That doesn’t provide 4K to the secondary box, you would need an Xi6 and that is currently pro install only, if it’s available in your market.

This link shows X1 box details
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Okay, we upgraded to the 4k boxes for both TV's today, but we're still having audio dropout issues.  In the past 1/2 hour there's been about 1/2 a dozen audio dropouts.  Other than that, the service is great, but the dropouts are REALLY annoying.  

Any suggestions?  

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Yes, I am having sound drops on my x1 system... works fine on Apple TV ... only occurs on cable
Expert

@jhsvp wrote:
Yes, I am having sound drops on my x1 system... works fine on Apple TV ... only occurs on cable

would you detail your equipment (model number of x1 set top box) and how it is connected?

Regular Visitor

Yes, you are correct. So here we are now on 01/04/2019 and the issue continues with no answer from Comcast. I too have noticed that when the audio dropped out I could rewind and the audio was fine.

I have checked all connections, power cycled the box many times and still have the issue. I have disconnected the sound bar and used only the TV speakers, same issue. Yet, watching movies through the Blu Ray player has no issue. What's it going to take to get this resolved? 

Silver Problem Solver

@DiGi wrote:

Yes, you are correct. So here we are now on 01/04/2019 and the issue continues with no answer from Comcast. I too have noticed that when the audio dropped out I could rewind and the audio was fine.

I have checked all connections, power cycled the box many times and still have the issue. I have disconnected the sound bar and used only the TV speakers, same issue. Yet, watching movies through the Blu Ray player has no issue. What's it going to take to get this resolved? 

Have you tried a System Refresh?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-system-refresh

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

MrFlyGuy,

I read your post from 2016 regarding your frustrations  with audio dropouts that you have been contending with for over a year.  I'm a new customer to Xfinity, it's June of 2019 and I'm experiencing the same drop out issue.  <Edited>

Not sure if you're still on the forum but I'd be interested as I read thru the blogs whether there are other updates to this issue and if you have exited your contract.

Thanks

Expert

@afkas01 wrote:

MrFlyGuy,

I read your post from 2016 regarding your frustrations  with audio dropouts that you have been contending with for over a year.  I'm a new customer to Xfinity, it's June of 2019 and I'm experiencing the same drop out issue.  What the heck kind of company did I sign up with that this problem continues to plague it's subscribers?

Not sure if you're still on the forum but I'd be interested as I read thru the blogs whether there are other updates to this issue and if you have exited your contract.

Thanks

please use the voice command 'about'. what is the rest of the line to the right of "STB Version"?

Regular Visitor

A new x1 box fixed the problem...
Official Employee

afkas01, thanks for posting about your audio issues. Welcome to the XFINITY family! Sorry to hear it didn't start on the right foot, but I'd be happy to look into your particular experience. Are you using surround sound equipment? Are the drops via stereo sound? Which X1 box do you have? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@jhsvp wrote:
A new x1 box fixed the problem...

was it the main DVR? the xg1 version 1 DVR is very well known for audio problems.

Frequent Visitor

I've experienced this "audio dropout" issue three times (if memory serves) in the last several years and each time it's been resolved by Comcast with actions in its distribution system (upstream of the drop to my premises). None of the changes to the wiring or equipment on my premises were effective. Unfortunately it appears to me that you need to move heaven and earth to get Comcast to focus their diagnostic efforts on their distribution system. It takes a customer service tech willing to climb up a pole to the customer tap and monitor the signal for some period of time to capture signal issues at the tap and assign the issue to the upstream service group for resolution.

Expert

@Bob137 wrote:

I've experienced this "audio dropout" issue three times (if memory serves) in the last several years and each time it's been resolved by Comcast with actions in its distribution system (upstream of the drop to my premises). None of the changes to the wiring or equipment on my premises were effective. Unfortunately it appears to me that you need to move heaven and earth to get Comcast to focus their diagnostic efforts on their distribution system. It takes a customer service tech willing to climb up a pole to the customer tap and monitor the signal for some period of time to capture signal issues at the tap and assign the issue to the upstream service group for resolution.

audio is not separate from video as delivered to the set top box. your observation might apply if there were pixellation with possible simultaneous audio issues. 

Frequent Visitor

I stand by my statement. The intial manifestation of the issue I was experiencing were usually audio dropouts. As time passed (and initial diagnostic efforts were ineffective) the issues progressed (worsened) to include video pixelization. And as I stated, the corrective action in these cases involved some actions in the upstream distribution. In one case I was told it was a line amplifier that had water ingress and corrosion.

Official Employee

Hi @afkas01

Welcome to the Xinity Forums. I apologize for the experience you're having. I'd be happy to help investigate your issues to see if I can help isolate the cause. If we do need to have someone out to investigate premise issues or issues with your line. I can help with that as well. In order to assist you, please send me a private message including your first and last name as it appears on your bill. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have been having this intermittent audio dropout on my X1 box for awhile.  Today it is unbearable.   Once or more a minute for a few seconds.   Sometimes no problem at all.  It only seems to happen on DVR playback.  

Expert

@dlmartindale wrote:

I have been having this intermittent audio dropout on my X1 box for awhile.  Today it is unbearable.   Once or more a minute for a few seconds.   Sometimes no problem at all.  It only seems to happen on DVR playback.  

on that TV that the DVR is connected please use voice remote 'about' and reply with the rest of the line to right of "STB version..."

Frequent Visitor

STB Version PX001AN_3.6p8s1_PROD_sey

Thanks.

Expert

@dlmartindale wrote:

STB Version PX001AN_3.6p8s1_PROD_sey

Thanks.

that is the earliest X1 DVR and has only 5 tuners and known unfixable audio problems. upgrade to new or newest DVR (no clock very small with solid state drive storage). 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much.

Much appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben - Thanks so much for the information.  I'll exchange this DVR box for the newer model.

One additional question - does the newer model allow for more than 3 addional TV's to be connected to the main DVR?    

Thanks again for you're help.

Expert

@dlmartindale wrote:

Rustyben - Thanks so much for the information.  I'll exchange this DVR box for the newer model.

One additional question - does the newer model allow for more than 3 addional TV's to be connected to the main DVR?    

Thanks again for you're help.

how many non-DVR x1 boxes do you need? instead of using the DVR's tuners etc get one Xg2 hub (same price as other companion boxes) which can support 3 other non-DVR devices leaving all your 6 tuners in the new xg1v4 DVR available to record or watch at one time. if you have 4 you need one Xg2 and 3 XiD or similar boxes. for 5-8 change one more of the XiD type boxes for another Xg2 and you can support 3 more XiDs.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again Rustyben.

I currently need 4 additional.  I have the main DVR with 3 small boxes attached and they set up the 4th with it's own DVR box (same as the one with drop out problems).  I don't need the DVR on the 4th plus it's costing me $19.95 mo additional.   Sounds like there are new options where I can drop the 2nd DVR and save some money.   

Armed with your suggestions I'll go into the Xfinity store tomorrow and see if I can get properly upgraded and solve my drop out problem.

Sorry to have bombarded you with questions.  You've been a great help!!   Thanks so much!

Dwight

Expert

@dlmartindale wrote:

Thanks again Rustyben.

I currently need 4 additional.  I have the main DVR with 3 small boxes attached and they set up the 4th with it's own DVR box (same as the one with drop out problems).  I don't need the DVR on the 4th plus it's costing me $19.95 mo additional.   Sounds like there are new options where I can drop the 2nd DVR and save some money.   

Armed with your suggestions I'll go into the Xfinity store tomorrow and see if I can get properly upgraded and solve my drop out problem.

Sorry to have bombarded you with questions.  You've been a great help!!   Thanks so much!

Dwight

no problem. including itself each xg2 supports 4 total TVs. when you install XG2 unplug the XiDs first then swap in the xg2 and let it boot up completely. then on first startup plug in each Xid one at a time letting them come completly up and letting the XiDs connect to the Xg2. to test to go the xg1v4 dvr and using the remote select 6 programs in progress (last one be sure to tune to that channel and hit record. if all 6 are shown recording you are successful. 

New Poster

I've been having these issues and purchased a new tv and I'm still having the same issue. I've had three techs come out. They all gave me misinformation. The second to last guy came and dropped off a cable and told me "he didn't know what to tell me." The thing is, you should know what to tell me. In fact, it's your job to know exactly what to tell me. No compensation for the lack of audio/intermittent audio. It's horrible. Every time I'm trying to enjoy a show, the sound cuts in/out so bad it's infuriating. I have to keep closed caption on or miss half a show. What am I paying nearly $200 a month for??? I'm at my wits end and I think I'm going back to Verizon. At least they care enough about the quality of their services to make investments into their architecture to provide a more enjoyable experience. When I heard about the poor quality of Comcast, I didn't believe it. I'm a believer. They have been a waste of money and I'll never get the numerous hours I've spent talking to customer service, technicians, managers, etc, nor the time off from work for the stupid visits that did NOTHING. Comcast is an embarrassment to the industry. This is not good business. You can't even record a DVR program if you're not at home. Verizon Comcast Verizon!!!!!
New Poster

Re: Sound issue with X1

Exactly. My issue is audio cutting in/out. The problem was temporarily fixed prior to the tech coming. I got a text saying they found an issue in the area and it was fixed. Once the tech came out, it stopped working again. The manager on the phone told me that I can leave Comcast at my discretion. That was horrible customer service. I pay too much to get trivial of an answer.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Sound issue with X1

My audio drop out problem was resolved when I exchanged my x1 main tv box for a newer model. No problems since.