Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Steveromo,

Please tell me that you don't still have the original Pace X1 DVR with the green power light. They are well known to have audio issues unique to that particular box.

An encyclopedia worth of information was written in this forum about audio issues with that box. We stopped hearing about it because everyone replaced that box...

If you have that box and you still need component connections a little birdie on a tree is telling you that it is time to start updating your gear.

Steveromo wrote:
I just re-read my post and realize i had a typo. I use the COMPONENT video so I can still watch in HD. I just edited that post. Sorry for the mistake. PS. Do u have or are u familiar with this issue?

Regular Contributor

Hello again Rick. It's a long story - we've actually touched on it in another post in the forum. But I need the Pace because of remote control frequency issues with the Arris. However if I can confirm that my audio issue will be gone using the Arris than I will swap. That is why I asked which model box folks with this issue have. If I swap boxes and still have the issue than I will go back to the Pace but - Murphy's Law - what if they stop offering it (you've seen the lawsuit converter story with Comcast right?) I an using the component video because the audio problem is strictly an HDMI issue. Thanks for your reply!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

When you continue to comment that the audio dropout issue is not fixed you really should qualify that comment with the fact that you are using an X1 DVR that has known issues in that area.

Remote frequency issues with Arris boxes??? I found the opposite to be true.

Dude, I am sorry but in regards to the audio dropout issue your situation is highly unique and you aren't willing to take the steps to fix it.

For you to post in this forum saying that the "audio dropout issue isn't fixed" is highly innacurate because you continue to use the one and only box where the audio issues were never fixed.

You are using an old X1 DVR that has known audio issues along with old AV gear. PLEASE do not make blanket statements that the problem is not fixed because for a vast majority of us, it is fixed.

Steveromo wrote:
Hello again Rick. It's a long story - we've actually touched on it in another post in the forum. But I need the Pace because of remote control frequency issues with the Arris. However if I can confirm that my audio issue will be gone using the Arris than I will swap. That is why I asked which model box folks with this issue have. If I swap boxes and still have the issue than I will go back to the Pace but - Murphy's Law - what if they stop offering it (you've seen the lawsuit converter story with Comcast right?) I an using the component video because the audio problem is strictly an HDMI issue. Thanks for your reply!

Contributor

I agree with RickGr4. My audio dropouts ceased in early summer of this year. I'm using an Arris box with the latest firmware. I never swapped out any AV gear, cables, nor did I make any changes to my AV setup. All I did was excercise patience and stay in constant communication (via private message) with two different Comcast Technicians on this forum and report back my experience to them each time they pushed a firmware update to my STB. Eventually they isolated the problem for the Arris boxes and provided a firmware fix. I haven't had a dropout in well over six months.

So, Steveromo, you have to weight the consequences of your choices and decide which is the lesser of two evils for you: the remote frequency issue or the audio dropouts. Which is easier to live with, or rather, which is easier remedied?

If you're perfectly okay using component audio cables, then stick with your Pace box and don't worry about your remote. If you want the benefit of HDMI audio, then you're going to have to swap out your box and find another soultion for your remote frequency issue.

Regular Contributor

Dude, no need to humiliate me. Read my posts dude. I have been very polite in asking others for help and advice. I was asking so I could determine if any others have this issue and what boxes they have so I can see if any still have issues using Arris. You are always so quick to lay into people for not reading the posts and you are guilty of that in this case. Dude!
Regular Visitor

Steveromo,

I also have the audio dropouts and have since at least December 2013. Despite multiple service calls and escalating the issue it was never resolved. I worked with them for a number of weeks before they gave up and said they would keep researching it at their end.  They were supposed to check in with me occasionally but I never heard from them again. Originally it was just on the Family room tv when we had the older boxes in the bedrooms (rng150? Had its own tuner). When they swapped them for the Xi3 I now also have the audio skips on my bedroom tv as well. Both TVs are Samsung connected directly with hdmi. Family room tv is Samsung UN55ES8000. I used to have a Pace DVR in the family room but one of the first changes was swapping it for my current Arris AX013ANM. 

Gold Problem Solver

You can't make vague and blanket statements that a problem has not been fixed when you already know that you are using a product with well known issues. That is misleading to anyone that may read it without knowing the entire history.

What you should be asking is "I have a green light Pace DVR and I need component outputs. Has there been any changes in regards to the audio drop out issues???"

Seriously man, you really should start thinking about upgrading your TV and or AV gear. Component video is dying and nearly completely dead.

In my opinion, the Arris boxes do not have an IR issue. For me, the Arris boxes SOLVED IR issues. They didn't create any IR issues.

Steveromo wrote:
Dude, no need to humiliate me. Read my posts dude. I have been very polite in asking others for help and advice. I was asking so I could determine if any others have this issue and what boxes they have so I can see if any still have issues using Arris. You are always so quick to lay into people for not reading the posts and you are guilty of that in this case. Dude!
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
Seriously man, you really should start thinking about upgrading your TV and or AV gear. Component video is dying and nearly completely dead.

In my opinion, the Arris boxes do not have an IR issue. For me, the Arris boxes SOLVED IR issues. They didn't create any IR issues.

@Steveromo wrote:

deleted. Not worth it.

Contributor

Steveromo:

While RickGr4 has never had the gift of subtlety, he is correct that for the vast majority of us the drop-outs have ceased and many of us worked with the Comcast technicians through private messages to test and comment on new firmware builds during the process.  It could be your old Pace box.  It could be something with yout particular model of TV.  It could be something having to do with your signal strength.  I would certainly change to the Arris box (which I have) to see if that solves the problem.  If not, then I would contact one of the technicians that frequent this forum by PM and ask them to check your signal remotely.  They can (and have done this for me during the dropout firmware process) clean up you signal and that may also provide a fix.  If a combination of the Arris box and a singal cleanup don't work, I guess I would try connecting to a different TV to see if that helps.  That's about as much as my experience and naivety about AV can advise you.

Andrew

Regular Contributor

UPDATE: Ok, So... In a nutshell, I finally traded in my Pace for an Arris. After a weekend of TV - including a full day of NFL on Sunday... Sound is GOOD. (About 3-4 dropouts the entire weekend, not perfect but I'll take it!) So yes, the Pace was the culprit. I deserve the "I told you so's" but remember, my recent posts clearly asked what gear people used who also had the dropouts. I suspected when the majority of posts stopped in July that my Pace was the problem, but I asked other users very politely what they used. I knew that moving to Arris was going eliminate one key feature of my setup - using my Harmony universal remote on both my cable boxes in my entertainment center. I also have an RNG 150 and a second TV (Sports fan!) For some reason the Harmony can be programmed with different codes and control the Pace and Cisco independently. However, with the Arris, codes for one operate both - so after pairing the X1 I tape over the remote eye and I'm forced to use the X1 remote for my Arris, and can use the Harmony for everything else. I wanted to be sure before making that swap, that's why I was so defensive in my posts. Thanks Rick and Andrew for your help!

Contributor

Steveromo,

See if you can private message one of the Comcast Technicians on this thread and have the signal strength on your Arris box checked and firmware updated (if necesssary). I'm confident with a little tweaking on their end they can get your dropouts down to zero.

Expert

@Steveromo wrote:

UPDATE: Ok, So... In a nutshell, I finally traded in my Pace for an Arris. After a weekend of TV - including a full day of NFL on Sunday... Sound is GOOD. (About 3-4 dropouts the entire weekend, not perfect but I'll take it!) So yes, the Pace was the culprit. I deserve the "I told you so's" but remember, my recent posts clearly asked what gear people used who also had the dropouts. I suspected when the majority of posts stopped in July that my Pace was the problem, but I asked other users very politely what they used. I knew that moving to Arris was going eliminate one key feature of my setup - using my Harmony universal remote on both my cable boxes in my entertainment center. I also have an RNG 150 and a second TV (Sports fan!) For some reason the Harmony can be programmed with different codes and control the Pace and Cisco independently. However, with the Arris, codes for one operate both - so after pairing the X1 I tape over the remote eye and I'm forced to use the X1 remote for my Arris, and can use the Harmony for everything else. I wanted to be sure before making that swap, that's why I was so defensive in my posts. Thanks Rick and Andrew for your help!

do you have a special need on that rng150 for the component connectors for video? if not, you might want to get an XG2 that comes with the voice remote, internet apps, and had 3 additional tuners to loan to other companion set top boxes (xi3/xiD, xi5) to give you more free tuners on your DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Dahmenator wrote:

Steveromo,

See if you can private message one of the Comcast Technicians on this thread and have the signal strength on your Arris box checked and firmware updated (if necesssary). I'm confident with a little tweaking on their end they can get your dropouts down to zero.

it is not a good practice to private message Comcast employees unless asked to do so They handle posts flagged for their attention using tools that track the customer and problem to be sure it is resolved.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Dahmenator wrote:

Steveromo,

it is not a good practice to private message Comcast employees unless asked to do so They handle posts flagged for their attention using tools that track the customer and problem to be sure it is resolved.

While I didn't mean to suggest Steveromo goes rogue, I do feel very strongly as paying customers we have the right to bug whomever whenever until our issue(s) get resolved to our satisfaction. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 20 years, and have had my share of lackluster support in those years, as well as my share of stellar support. My presonal experience with Comcast has taught me that the squeaky wheel definitely gets the oil.

If I were Steveromo and no Technician in this thread reached out to me, I'd defintely take matters into my own hands and let whatever Technician I get a hold of sort out the tracking/flagging/tools details on their end.

Expert

@Dahmenator wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Dahmenator wrote:

Steveromo,

While I didn't mean to suggest Steveromo goes rogue, I do feel very strongly as paying customers we have the right to bug whomever whenever until our issue(s) get resolved to our satisfaction. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 20 years, and have had my share of lackluster support in those years, as well as my share of stellar support. My presonal experience with Comcast has taught me that the squeaky wheel definitely gets the oil.

If I were Steveromo and no Technician in this thread reached out to me, I'd defintely take matters into my own hands and let whatever Technician I get a hold of sort out the tracking/flagging/tools details on their end.

the board is primarily customers helping customers and the experts refer to Official Employees if problems are not resolved. some Official Employees review many posts, too.

Regular Contributor

Shoot, good thing I went here again, started having sound cut out.
I forgot to check, got another X1 few months ago, forgot to check setting on the sound, have a 5.l surround, yep! was on stereo, change both to 5.1 in the setting, will see if that does the trick.
Speaking sound picked up the Yamaha ATS -1070 withe the latest update shipment from Costco on sale $119.99 till Dec. 24th, using it for our 24" in bed room, love it!
Any, if my changes don't work, guess have to live with problem.
When we had our 50 inch TV plasma for years it started doing the sound cut off, cut off and on for few months then I guess all of a sudden it stopped maybe because of their firmware update or who knows what! Never had problem again until a few years X1 started doing the sound cut out. Strange!
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Regular Contributor

Comcast was out here over a week, picture freezing too! Our PCC EVO 1-5 was hooked up wrong, well over week, Backing freezing twice, darn it!
Plus sound cut out, made some changes in X1 setting sound, see if that takes cut out. Does your TV still freezes?
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Regular Contributor

Re: Sound issue with X1

How has it been resolved?
Did I miss something I read most all these post.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts - RESOLVED!

Red you link, guess was resolved because you got Direc -TV?
I have had this system since 1978 ever since they've changed the Comcast and went cables and all this other stuff and nothing but ongoing troubles especially since we went to the X1 had very few problems before the X1.
Contributor

Interesting turn of events. Decided to try the new "Expert Mode" this weekend in the audio Device Settings hoping it might result in better audio on NBC (which has terrible audio for live sports events and live talk shows). Shortly after switching to Expert Mode, I was noticing audio dropouts (about half a second long) in live TV. Switched back to Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1) and the dropouts stopped.

Anyone else try experimenting with this?

Regular Contributor

I've been using Expert Mode because the audio level matches the rest of my sources (i.e. Apple TV, Roku & BD player) when routed through my AVR.  When I use Auto Detect/5.1, the X1 box outputs a louder audio signal.  When I switch to the Apple TV (to watch Hulu, Netflix, etc.) I have to increase the volume by 5-10 dB on the AVR and then decrease it again when switching back to the X1 box.  I don't have this issue when using Expert Mode.

Yes, I have noticed a few audio drops in Expert Mode, but nothing too bad.  I'll have to try Auto Detect/5.1 again and see if I notice a difference.

Contributor

@jkozlow3 wrote:

I've been using Expert Mode because the audio level matches the rest of my sources (i.e. Apple TV, Roku & BD player) when routed through my AVR.  When I use Auto Detect/5.1, the X1 box outputs a louder audio signal.  When I switch to the Apple TV (to watch Hulu, Netflix, etc.) I have to increase the volume by 5-10 dB on the AVR and then decrease it again when switching back to the X1 box.  I don't have this issue when using Expert Mode.

Yes, I have noticed a few audio drops in Expert Mode, but nothing too bad.  I'll have to try Auto Detect/5.1 again and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks for the response, jkozlow3.

I just verified that my AVR is not capable of outputting Dolby Atmos (I understand this to be the reason for Expert Mode), so that explains why I detected no difference in audio quality between Expert Mode and Auto Detect, and could presumably explain why I was hearing the return of audio dropouts.

But if your AVR is capable of outputting Dolby Atmos and you're experiencing audio dropouts in Expert Mode, then it could signal another issue on Comcast's end.

Frequent Visitor

AVR?

Frequent Visitor

Funny I switched to Expert & it fixed the X1 Netflix Dolby Digital + that stopped working last year meaning the Plus part was gone & was not detected anymore on Yamahaaha $1600 7.1 true surround soundbar system  & now it is back when I switched, seems their nightly updates mess up some things 

Regular Contributor

I am also having the audio dropouts described in nearly the exact same manner as many have already posted. X1 connected via HDMI to Samsung 55" 4K model that can be as fast as once every few minutes but usally more like once every 15min or so.  Has been getting progressively worse or just more noticeable perhaps lately. 

My troubleshooting has included:

• checking my 4 other HDMI devices and having watched content from each today for several hours did not get a single dropout
  • hard power cycles of X1 and TV with no success
  • swapping HDMI inputs and cables around and the issue follows the X1
  • 2 DVR boxes in the house, only happens on one box.  Not sure the box model I have.  Both were replaced in fall and the tech mentioned Xi3.  Blue power LED. Old boxes didnt have this issue that I recall
  • Have tried the other options in the audio menu like Expert Mode, etc and I dont hear any improvement.
  • No other hardware changes and in fall when tech was here, he was very pleased with signal strength.  Its a pretty fresh run from the junction due
  • Happens on live TV and DVR.  On DVR, can rewind and the dropout does not repeat so its not a dropout in the incoming signal.  

Seems like some Comcast Techs are able to push new updates to attempt to resolve this.  I would like to be contacted to get this setup.  This issue is driving me nuts for a $200 service per month.

Expert

wrote:

I am also having the audio dropouts described in nearly the exact same manner as many have already posted. X1 connected via HDMI to Samsung 55" 4K model that can be as fast as once every few minutes but usally more like once every 15min or so.  Has been getting progressively worse or just more noticeable perhaps lately. 

My troubleshooting has included:

• checking my 4 other HDMI devices and having watched content from each today for several hours did not get a single dropout
  • hard power cycles of X1 and TV with no success
  • swapping HDMI inputs and cables around and the issue follows the X1
  • 2 DVR boxes in the house, only happens on one box.  Not sure the box model I have.  Both were replaced in fall and the tech mentioned Xi3.  Blue power LED. Old boxes didnt have this issue that I recall
  • Have tried the other options in the audio menu like Expert Mode, etc and I dont hear any improvement.
  • No other hardware changes and in fall when tech was here, he was very pleased with signal strength.  Its a pretty fresh run from the junction due
  • Happens on live TV and DVR.  On DVR, can rewind and the dropout does not repeat so its not a dropout in the incoming signal.  

Seems like some Comcast Techs are able to push new updates to attempt to resolve this.  I would like to be contacted to get this setup.  This issue is driving me nuts for a $200 service per month.

what is the model number of your set top box?

Regular Contributor

wrote:

Looks like an Arris AX013ANM

Expert

wrote:

wrote:

Looks like an Arris AX013ANM

did you already try setting audio to 'expert' mode? Xfinity >> gear(settings) >> Device Settings >> Audio >> HDMI Audio output and change to expert?

Regular Contributor

wrote:

did you already try setting audio to 'expert' mode? Xfinity >> gear(settings) >> Device Settings >> Audio >> HDMI Audio output and change to expert?

Yes, I noted that in my 5th bullet.  If anything Expert mode was worse

Expert

wrote:

wrote:

Yes, I noted that in my 5th bullet.  If anything Expert mode was worse

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Official Employee

Hi @HD-Tech

Sorry for the late reply. I'd like to push the firmware to your box to see if this will help with the audio issue you're having. To protect the privacy of your account, could you reach out to me in a private message? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, the phone number, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. Chat with you soon. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

Can anybody explain what the audio drop outs are? When they happen? 

I had an Arris XG1v1 that randomly, once per month, would have no audio in the morning. I would have to reboot the box or the TV. 

I swapped it for a XG1v4 and now have other issues with my HDMI Extenders. Wondering if my old Arris audio issues were related to an update? 

Thanks. 

Tek
Contributor

I have a new LG OLED 55c7p and am getting this audio drop out and sometimes freezing picture. I just switched from an older arris box to the new 4K box. Same problem with both boxes. I would love some help or input from a Comcast employee. 

Expert

@dwrexv1307 wrote:

I have a new LG OLED 55c7p and am getting this audio drop out and sometimes freezing picture. I just switched from an older arris box to the new 4K box. Same problem with both boxes. I would love some help or input from a Comcast employee. 

how is your set top box connected to the TV? have you tried connecting the XG! directly to the TV to see if the built in speakers drop out?

Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. It is connected directly to the TV. The problem is with live tv. Does not happen with recordings or on demand as far as I can tell. 

Expert

@dwrexv1307 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. It is connected directly to the TV. The problem is with live tv. Does not happen with recordings or on demand as far as I can tell. 

were you using just the TV's internal stereo speakers? did you try another HDMI cable?

Contributor

Yes, just the internal speakers. We will do another HDMI cable tonight and see how that works. Also have a service call into Comcast.

Expert

@dwrexv1307 wrote:

Yes, just the internal speakers. We will do another HDMI cable tonight and see how that works. Also have a service call into Comcast.

verify the audio setting on the X1 set to box is set to stereo?

Regular Contributor

UPDATE: I switched from the Pace to the Arris a few months ago to try to resolve the dropout issue. In doing so I gave up being able to control my X1 with my Harmony remote but the dropouts were reduced from one every 5 minutes to once every 2 hours. Not perfect but ok. Well, they are gradually increasing lately! I can get 3 in the span of 5 minutes then none for a few hours!! Getting frustrating again!!! I have tried every audio setting on the box and tv with no success. Has anyone else noticed an increase lately? What firmware for the X1 box do users have who don't have issues? Thanks for any replies!
Contributor

My dropouts were resolved with a different HDMI cable. I am also using the new 4K box.
New Poster

Following....I have an X1 4K box with a Yamaha receiver (RX-V887).  The audio/video dropouts continue but direct connection to my Samung TV means there is no problem.

Would buying a new receiver help?

Silver Problem Solver

@axelfoley wrote:

Following....I have an X1 4K box with a Yamaha receiver (RX-V887).  The audio/video dropouts continue but direct connection to my Samung TV means there is no problem.

Would buying a new receiver help?

No clue;  but, maybe trying another input?  My Onkyo has several HDMI inputs.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I am seriously dismayed reading through the multiple instances of audio issues. Guess I have been blessed to not experience it before, but now all of a sudden today, I am another victim to this, audio drops out too often to be able to follow what one is watching, nothing in my environment has changed and have done all the basic troubleshooting. Like mentioned in previous replies, I found being in Stereo there are no dropouts, but one should not have to downgrade my sound when it was working just fine hours ago. Called customer care, said they were going to push firmware in 30 min but nothing had come through and I started to see online if there were solutions, besides dropping Comcast service. The only thing I can think of is, they pushed firmware with minimal regression testing or my node has reached its limit.
Silver Problem Solver

Many times audio dropouts are caused by a poor connection to the Comcast network somewhere.  Try scheduling a tech visit.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@caguerra wrote:
I am seriously dismayed reading through the multiple instances of audio issues. Guess I have been blessed to not experience it before, but now all of a sudden today, I am another victim to this, audio drops out too often to be able to follow what one is watching, nothing in my environment has changed and have done all the basic troubleshooting. Like mentioned in previous replies, I found being in Stereo there are no dropouts, but one should not have to downgrade my sound when it was working just fine hours ago. Called customer care, said they were going to push firmware in 30 min but nothing had come through and I started to see online if there were solutions, besides dropping Comcast service. The only thing I can think of is, they pushed firmware with minimal regression testing or my node has reached its limit.

I am dismayed as well.  I have these issues, have had the newest firmware push and its just a random when it will show up. With the new firmware, how often this happens has been reduced. 

Usually several good days in row but maybe once per week or there abouts, the dropouts start up.  What is odd to me is the near perfect intervals I have them at.  I would encourage anyone who has this to check to see if they too are have the same periodic nature to them and report that number.  Mine are just under 3 min apart.   Occassionaly one will skip but the overall interval time is maintained (ie 6 min in my case).  

This information might give one of these Comcast engineers that I hope are reading this the right clues to truly eliminate this problem. 

Frequent Visitor

I've been having the same problem for the past few years. Still no fix?! UNACCEPTABLE!

Expert

@Nacho3 wrote:

I've been having the same problem for the past few years. Still no fix?! UNACCEPTABLE!

have you tried connecting the HDMI cable from the set top box directly to the TV and see if the audio continues to drop out? If audio is stable by doing that it is something in the path (cables, receiver).

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have always had the HDMI cable directly to the TV. I've been having this problem since 2014 or so.
Expert

@Nacho3 wrote:
Yes, I have always had the HDMI cable directly to the TV. I've been having this problem since 2014 or so.

go to settings > about or say "about" in the voice remote. what is the STB Version (like mine is MX011AN)?

Frequent Visitor

My STB Version is PX001AN_2.14p11s2_PROD_HYBse