Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Sound issue with X1

Two items I would like to add to this conversation. First of all, I recall when I had a Pace made RNG 150 sitting on top of my Samsung Blu-ray player, something about the RNG 150 totally crushed the WiFi reception of the Samsung. When I replaced the RNG 150 with an Arris DVR in the exact same location the problem went away. Clearly the RNG 150 was radiating something RF that interfered with the Samsung.

Secondly (I have mentioned this quite a few times before), large telecommunications companies like Comcast simply don't care if one more customer leaves. They budget to lose hundreds if not thousands of customers every single day. It is called "churn". If a few more customers leave on any given day it is merely a blip on a daily report, nothing more.

Many companies similar to Comcast would rather spend their money acquiring new customers rather than saving existing ones.
Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 - the risk in letting one more customer leave is if it's an influential customer with a wide following, they'll take many more customers with them. Case in point - Governor Mike Huckabee's twitter storm a few weeks ago. Google "mike huckabee comcast". It's a classic.

Asmarks - you're right, the thread may have evolved into addressing multiple fundamental issues. It's very tough to solve a problem that you can't fully describe and quantify. I believe (although I cannot sufficiently quantify) that almost all of my pixelation issues were addressed by whatever action Comcast took in their infrastructure when my service was down for 4 hours. The remaining audio dropout issues were associated with my wifi router location.

The only test equipment I have available to address my issue are my eyes and ears and decades of experience in electronic product design and manufacturing, for harsh electromagnetic environments. That's why I brought up the cross-functional task force option, since I've seen it work before.

I call 'em like I see 'em and hear 'em.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

I am still having issues with audio dropouts, and then pixelation about a second after the audio drops out. This has been going on for over a year now. It happens mostly at night and when it starts, its every 15 minutes or so, and is very annoying.  I have had at least 30 or 40 local techs come out to my house to try and figure out what the issue was.

One day I had multiple supervisors come out and they replaced all the cables and fittings, they insisted that the issue had to be something in my house that was interferring with the cable system. Then they said to prove that it was an issue inside of my house that they would send a tech out that night and he would watch TV in his van and that if he did not have any issues, then it would show that the issue was in my house and not a Comcast issue.

That night a tech came out and he connected to the tap on the street, and started watching TV. As soon as I started to notice the audio dropout and pixelation I went out and talked with the tech. He also saw the same issue on his TV, and he said that this was definately an issue on Comcast's system and not coming from my house.

But then the service supervisor contacted me and told me that since the issue isnt a continous problem, that they would have a hard time locating what was causing the problem, and that I would just have to deal with it.  And that if it happens continuosly, that then they can send a tech out to try and fix the problem.

It would just be nice to watch TV without having any issues.  

I see TV ads all the time about how Comcast service has gotten better, and that they will do whatever it takes to solve a problem, and this definately is not my experience.

New Poster

I have the same issue with my XI boxes.  Dropouts in audio and well as slight pauses every 40 seconds or so.  Tried every combo of set up and settings and to no avail.....

Contributor

Kevin - Comcast is aware of the audio dropout problem but can't do anything about it without upgrading their infrastructure in older market areas experiencing the problem.

During my final X1 days (before I switched back to DirecTV), a Comcast repair tech finally provided an explanation of the problem that made sense. Everything Comcast gets, and distributes, is by satellite. He said Comcast has a big Satellite farm locally here outside Tucson that feeds the entire metropolitan area. Imagine, a signal being received by Satellite and redistributed, and redistributed, and redistributed, etc.. until it reaches your house. The signal has to pass through many miles of very old equipment that needs to be upgraded before it can reliably support the demand the X1 places on the network (in terms of bandwidth, 4K, etc.). The old equipment just can't keep up. The Tech used my DIrecTV dish as an example - "think about it. The DIrecTV satellite receiver sits right on your roof and passes the signal directly to the receiver. No network equipment, miles of old cabling, network closets, attenuation, switching, routing or splitting between the received signal and the receiver. It's about as pure as signal can get." And that, I suppose, is why they call it DIRECT!

I feel your pain but if you're experiencing audio dropouts, you either choose to live with them or switch providers because they are not likely to be resolved soon. I decided to ride out my contract with Comcast but you always have  the option of terminating your agreement early (without pennalty). If Comcast is unable to reliably deliver what you signed up for it's called a breach of contract if. Just make sure you've done everything they have suggested, been a team player, and throughly documented your inconvenience. I had this ready to go with the billing office but decided to wait until my contract  was up since I was so close to the end.

Good luck! 

Frequent Visitor

This is not an issue with distribution from the Satellite dishes to the neighborhood.  The Comcast office is just a few miles down the road.  Also I have a tech that lives on my street, yet he has no problems with his signal.  It was explained to me that I am on a different feed than he is.  With that said, I dont see why they cannot backtrace from my house to where the signal is the same as his house and then replace any amps that are after the signal splits that goes to his house vs mine.

Another thing that the tech told me that was watching TV outside my house was that when he touched the tap, that he got a shock which wasnt normal.

Highlighted
Contributor

I started having this problem recently. Randomly drops out (screen goes black as well) for a few seconds here and there. Was paranoid it was TV or my Onkyo receiver, so I tested them separately with Netflix through my TV (audio out to the Onkyo) and didn't have any problems. Rewinding a DVRed program when this happens doesn't reproduce it, so there's clearly some kind of output or signal issue with the X1 box. Kind of reminds me of what was happening with my Onkyo receiver when the HDMI board was failing and had to have it replaced. Makes me think the HDMI board on the X1 box is going. Only had it for 6 months.

Contributor

I just want to make it clear once again that the problem that Comcast is working on and the problem that is the basis of this thread is an audio only problem.  If you are experiencing any sort of video problems with your audio dropouts -- pixelation, black screen, etc. -- it is likely a separate problem.  As I previously mentioned, on top of my aduio only dropout problems, a few weeks ago I started experiencing brief, but numerous pixelation issues together with audio dropouts.  That turned out to be a separate issue related to work going on at a node outside of my house and was resolved remotely throught the help of Comcast Ken.  I am still experiencing occasional audio dropouts, but they seem much less frequenct (e.g., two split second dropouts detected while watching Game 5 of the NBA finals Monday night).

I would suggest if you are having video issues on top of audio issues, to PM Comcast Ken and ask him to check out your signals and try to clean up any problems remotely before calling service.

Regular Contributor

Hello everyone... I have posted as much as I could here hoping and praying for a fix. Lately, my dropouts have been worse than ever. I wanted to float another topic for the engineers to explore - if they are still following this thread. My problem is with my Samsung TV and my Pace and or Arris X1 DVR. My family room Sony TV and X1 XID-C work fine. I have seen other Samsung users in this forum also. So I wonder if this problem is with ANY OTHER brands of TV? I also notice those of us posting are technology enthusiasts. I wonder if having lots of high-end gear and gadgets (i.e Surround sound gear, switchers, etc.) exacerbates this issue? So I ask... Do any of you have this problem with brands of TV OTHER than Samsung and do any have it with a simple TV hookup that does NOT include the use of audio components in your system?

Frequent Visitor

Regarding the statement "Comcast is working on it" - that has apparently been noted multiple times, on multiple forums, for a couple of years. In my product development experience, when you are tasked with resolving a customer quality concern, you get 24 hours (not 24 months) for "I am working on it" before you get "you have determined the root cause to be....." and "what is your containment and permanent corrective action". An unacceptable response to those questions would get my management all lathered up and I would have all the "help" I needed to solve the problem. Obvioulsy Comcast management does not share the same sense of urgency.

It's clear to me (1) Comcast engineering knows exactly what the root cause of these audio dropout issues and has so from the first reports, (2) they have presented the corrective action plan to relevant management, along with cost/benefit analysis, and (3) Comcast management has determined the financial costs to permanantly resolve the "audio dropout" issue outweigh the impact to customer satisfaction. No other scenarion is plausible to me in my experience.

Gold Problem Solver

I have been told by more than a few Comcast employees that they have not been given the budget to support X1 properly.......
Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
I have been told by more than a few Comcast employees that they have not been given the budget to support X1 properly.......

.. or upgrade their infrastructure to support the advanced features of the X1. They have a wonderful X1 promo system that rolls around in a Comcast bus with Chris Hardwick bestowing the virtues of how neat Comcast is compared to the competitors but it's not a valid comparison. The feed for that bus is satellite to satellite with no network equipment or miles of cabling between the two. Essentially, they are demonstrating what DirecTV offers, not what Comcast will be providing in your home after the signal makes it's way through all the network stuff it has to go through to get there.  

Gold Problem Solver

The fact Comcast employees along with the Comcaster formerly known as Comcast Neal have stopped commenting on the problem suggests to me that Comcast can't or won't fix it.

The new batch of Comcast employees participating in this forum and offering to "send signals" appears to have stopped as well.

I am not expecting the audio drop out issue to fixed anytime soon.

FYI, my X1 which is connected to my LEAST complicated audio system (TOSLINK connection to a SONOS Playbar) exhibits the MOST amount of audio drop outs. My two systems with Marantz AV receivers connected entirely HDMI exhibit far LESS drop outs.
Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
The fact Comcast employees along with the Comcaster formerly known as Comcast Neal have stopped commenting on the problem suggests to me that Comcast can't or won't fix it.

The new batch of Comcast employees participating in this forum and offering to "send signals" appears to have stopped as well.

Comcast employees may have stopped commenting on this discussion because I updated the status to SOLVED (I am the original poster). Smiley Happy

But rest assured, they know it's a problem...

Regular Contributor

@mryflyguy wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast employees may have stopped commenting on this discussion because I updated the status to SOLVED (I am the original poster). Smiley Happy

Why did you do that?  The problem clearly hasn't been resolved.

Contributor

Why did you do that?  The problem clearly hasn't been resolved. 

My problem has... http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-Dropouts-again/m-p/2907015#M129070

Clearly, Comcast is monitoring open discussions so I encourage everyone to start their own discussion. That way, they have some idea on the magnitude of the problem. 

Official Employee

Good Morning all, 

I want to piggy back off what asmarks said. If you are having pixelation issues on top of audio issues, it could signify issues in your home that might be home specific (i.e. signal issues, problems with the line outside your home, etc). Let me know by send me a private message so I can look into that for you. 

If you are having issues with audio drops in coordination with third party surround sound systems or sound bars, that is a known issue that our engineers are working on and we're hoping to have a fix soon. 

I understand how this is an inconvenience and I don't want any of you to feel like you have been abandoned. I'm more than happy to look at anyone's equipment on my end to see if I see a pattern or outstanding issues. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastKen,

Thanks for trying to help. HOWEVER...

Yes this is a WELL KNOWN issue that has been going on for well over a year now. We were told months ago that fixes were being tested and would be released soon. Can't you do a little better than "we are hoping to have a fix soon"???

I for one am getting rather tired about having smoke blown up my back side in regards to this issue...

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Good Morning all, 

I want to piggy back off what asmarks said. If you are having pixelation issues on top of audio issues, it could signify issues in your home that might be home specific (i.e. signal issues, problems with the line outside your home, etc). Let me know by send me a private message so I can look into that for you. 

If you are having issues with audio drops in coordination with third party surround sound systems or sound bars, that is a known issue that our engineers are working on and we're hoping to have a fix soon. 

I understand how this is an inconvenience and I don't want any of you to feel like you have been abandoned. I'm more than happy to look at anyone's equipment on my end to see if I see a pattern or outstanding issues. 

KenF

Official Employee

RickGr4, I understand your frustrations. If I'm not mistaken, there were a few forums members who had builds and releases sent to their box in an attempt to fix the issue-- like a trial run. Unfortunately, those fixes didn't work [at least not permanently], so this is an ongoing problem we are trying to solve. We are working with our third party partners to get to the root of the problem and provide something we can send out to those who are having the issue. I appreciate your patience with this. 

I understand you've probably heard this a few times before. I am personally working with a few of the engineers here at our Corporate headquarters and I am hopeful to have an update soon.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

As someone who has been experiencing a similar issues (random momentary audio drops) for a while, I was curious if anybody has found any solutions or has any updates.  Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Don't use optical it's outdated & doesn't pass all the Dolby and DTS options use HDMI only with ARC from the sound bar if it has ARC to the TVs ARC and then plug all the components and the X1 box into the soundbar
Gold Problem Solver

Not using optical is easier said than done. Many people seem to be unwilling to upgrade their AV receivers to HDMI capabilities. I am sure glad that I did.

Fortunately today's AV receivers have much more going for them than just HDMI connections. I have found that the Audessey suite of room correction features to be invaluable.

Adding most of today's AV receivers have very effective audio sync features. I suspect that most of the people in this forum who are complaining about audio sync problems are using TOSLINK digital audio connections not HDMI...
Regular Contributor

I have to agree with Rick for a change. Gone are the analog and early digital days and unfortunately AV receivers have now become like every other consumer electronic that needs to be upgraded periodically to keep up. Took me years to abandon optical and component video for HDMI, the major obstacle to me was the distaste of spending thousands all over again just for (what looked like at the time) a connector change. Dump optical, go full HDMI and don't look back. At least until the next forced upgrade.

Silver Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Why do  I get this when I click on link   

Access Denied

Silver Problem Solver

@0070 wrote:

Why do  I get this when I click on link   

Access Denied

The post has been moved to a locked forum; you do not have sufficient access.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Admin1
Moved:

Regular Contributor

As I approach 1 year having this issue with my "new" TV and no solution, I am ready to give up and re-wire my system in the hope of bypassing this issue. What I wish to do is to change out my Pace PX001ANC X1 DVR for one that has Component Video outputs to connect to my TV (that is, IF my system offers one.) This woud lead to a multiitude of additional adapters / splitters to keep my other video gear hooked up. The other option is to purchase an HDMI-to-Component converter and keep my Pace DVR. My question is, do I lose video quality with the component hookup method? I assume that this would eliminate the dropout since the dropout seems to be coming as a result of a poor "HDMI handshake" between the box and my specific TV - I troubleshooted hooking my box to another tv and had no issue. Whadda you guys think?

Regular Contributor

@Steveromo wrote:

As I approach 1 year having this issue with my "new" TV and no solution, I am ready to give up and re-wire my system in the hope of bypassing this issue. What I wish to do is to change out my Pace PX001ANC X1 DVR for one that has Component Video outputs to connect to my TV (that is, IF my system offers one.) This woud lead to a multiitude of additional adapters / splitters to keep my other video gear hooked up. The other option is to purchase an HDMI-to-Component converter and keep my Pace DVR. My question is, do I lose video quality with the component hookup method? I assume that this would eliminate the dropout since the dropout seems to be coming as a result of a poor "HDMI handshake" between the box and my specific TV - I troubleshooted hooking my box to another tv and had no issue. Whadda you guys think?

I doubt that A/V dropouts are due to HDMI handshake failures, unless you're getting a full-screen solid color. If you think it truly is an HDMI issue, I would first try a new high-quality HDMI cable.

Component video can certainly handle the 720p and 1080i that Comcast sends, with video quality equal to HDMI. I don't know whether Comcast still offers DVRs with component outputs.

I have been seeing lots of A/V dropouts lately. For me, the problem comes and goes and I feel the likeliest explanation is that the problem is at Comcast's end, not mine.

New Poster

I have audio issues and have for months , customer service acts like they have never heard of this . They said to go buy a new HDMI cable , I did . STILL I turn tv on and off 10-12 times every time I want to watch tv. This is unacceptable , do u have a fix yet ?

Silver Problem Solver

@klw1 wrote:

I have audio issues and have for months , customer service acts like they have never heard of this . They said to go buy a new HDMI cable , I did . STILL I turn tv on and off 10-12 times every time I want to watch tv. This is unacceptable , do u have a fix yet ?

There are a thousand posts about this issue.  My personal opinion is that there is an issue with the way we get our feed from the Xfinity network.  I have no knowledge of the topology, but I worked with IBM mainframe networks for my whole career and there are a lot of ways that can degrade the signal to our X1 boxes.  Did you used to be a non-Comcast customer like Charter before you got your X1 system?  Are you in an apartment?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Do not stop using HDMI it's not you or any of us its CC who needs to fix it & mine haven't done  it in months & months 

Frequent Visitor

I am & it use to be Dir TV here in all Apts 

Regular Contributor

The new hookup works great! My X1 box is now connected to my TV via a component video cable and an analog audio cable. NO DROPOUTS! And, to my surprise, the video resolution is awesome. (It may actually be better than HDMI.) I am still playing with the audio delay / sync, and some color / tint / sharpness settings to get it just right. But, let me repeat, NO AUDIO DROPS. I was confident this would be the case because of the many troubleshooting steps I took. I KNOW the dropouts are strictly an HDMI issue. This is NOT a fix, but a work around! The problem is still there when connected via HDMI. (I had to re-wire my entire setup to make this happen because my old (pre-HDMI) gear was occupying that input of the TV and now I need to buy an analog-to-HDMI converter to play video games or watch VHS - Yes I still have one!) I will continue to monitor the thread and hope the issue does get resolved. Thanks for all the posts so far!

Gold Problem Solver

In another thread, a Comcast employee said they sent out a fix for the audio drop out problem in late July....
Contributor

I concur with RickGr4. I haven't had an audio dropout since at least late July, perhaps even before that. Using standard HDMI cables.

The only outstanding question for me is if the dropouts will return with a future firmware update. Hopefully not. But as of now, my audio is perfect.

Contributor

Same here.  No noticeable dropouts since July.  They may have fixed the problem!!

Regular Contributor

Not for me. Problem still exists on my HDMI connection. That's why I made the change. I can keep the box connected to the TV with the HDMI cable and switch inputs from time to time in order to check back, but as of a few days ago my problem still existed. Thanks for the reply!

Gold Problem Solver

You do realize that if you are using analog audio connections the best surround sound you will get is old school Dolby Pro Logic....?
New Poster

Hello Ken,

We are having audio drops of 3-4 seconds as well as dvr’d show drops. How can I get some help with that please?

Silver Problem Solver

@Tbertola wrote:

Hello Ken,

We are having audio drops of 3-4 seconds as well as dvr’d show drops. How can I get some help with that please?

I would call 1800comcast and ask for a test of my connection.

Regular Contributor

I use the optical audio output to connect to my 5.1 surround receiver for surround. But when listening late at night thru the tv speakers it was so annoying to have the dropouts using the HDMI. However, converting over to the component video with analog audio eliminated the dropouts without losing any video quality.

Regular Contributor

Hello everyone. I wanted to post to let you know that contrary to some above posts, this issue has NOT been resolved. I continue to have 1-second audio dropouts on all channels, constantly (more frequent in prime time.) I have swapped boxes several times and had a tech confirm signals were good. My work around is only a temporary solution as I had to re-wire my entire system to do it and the picture quality of my old gear (VHS) is now horrible as a result. But my work-around is also an important clue as to where to fix the issue. My TV is now connected to the X1 box using the component video and analog audio outputs and there are NO drop outs! They are present ONLY when connected via the HDMI cable. The problem is with the HDMI connection. I still have an HDMI wire running from the box and the end is coiled on the TV shelf. I run it to the TV occasionally to check to see if the dropout is still there and it is! I also run it to an open HDMI port on my second TV and the audio is clean. My problem is strictly with the HDMI connection between my X1 box and my Samsung TV. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Steveromo wrote:

Hello everyone. I wanted to post to let you know that contrary to some above posts, this issue has NOT been resolved. I continue to have 1-second audio dropouts on all channels, constantly (more frequent in prime time.) I have swapped boxes several times and had a tech confirm signals were good. My work around is only a temporary solution as I had to re-wire my entire system to do it and the picture quality of my old gear (VHS) is now horrible as a result. But my work-around is also an important clue as to where to fix the issue. My TV is now connected to the X1 box using the component video and analog audio outputs and there are NO drop outs! They are present ONLY when connected via the HDMI cable. The problem is with the HDMI connection. I still have an HDMI wire running from the box and the end is coiled on the TV shelf. I run it to the TV occasionally to check to see if the dropout is still there and it is! I also run it to an open HDMI port on my second TV and the audio is clean. My problem is strictly with the HDMI connection between my X1 box and my Samsung TV. 

I had the same issue you did and all I did was replace my HDMI cable with a different make/spec.  It's been two years, so I don't remember what cable I am using now.

Official Employee

Tbertola, you have a few signal issues on your modem and on your X1 box. We should resolve those issues first to rule out any connection to the sound drop. Let me know when I can send a signal to them both. 

Steveromo, I got your private message and I'll respond to you there. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Hello All,

I asked this before but got no replies...does anyone besides me still have audio dropouts constantly on their X1 box? If you do, what brand is your TV and what type of X1 box? I have researched and troubleshot this thoroughly. My problem is JUST with my PACE X1 DVR when connected to my SAMSUNG UN40KU6300 via HDMI. There are NO dropouts using an XiD-C, or a Cisco RNG 150 with the Samsung. There are none when the Pace is connected to any other HD TV in my house. And there are none when the Pace is connected to the Samsung using Component video with analog or optical audio. ONLY Pace-to-Samsung-using-HDMI!!! I have tested ALL accessible settings on both TV and X1 box with no luck. I have tried numerous HDMI cables, numerouos Pace X1 DVR's. No luck. I have NOT used an Arris X1 yet - I need to use Pace for other reasons - but I will if it will fix the issue! Please reply if you have any info to add.
Silver Problem Solver

@Steveromo wrote:

Hello All,

I asked this before but got no replies...does anyone besides me still have audio dropouts constantly on their X1 box? If you do, what brand is your TV and what type of X1 box? I have researched and troubleshot this thoroughly. My problem is JUST with my PACE X1 DVR when connected to my SAMSUNG UN40KU6300 via HDMI. There are NO dropouts using an XiD-C, or a Cisco RNG 150 with the Samsung. There are none when the Pace is connected to any other HD TV in my house. And there are none when the Pace is connected to the Samsung using Composite video with analog or optical audio. ONLY Pace-to-Samsung-using-HDMI!!! I have tested ALL accessible settings on both TV and X1 box with no luck. I have tried numerous HDMI cables, numerouos Pace X1 DVR's. No luck. I have NOT used an Arris X1 yet - I need to use Pace for other reasons - but I will if it will fix the issue! Please reply if you have any info to add.

Are you using the Pace composite connection?  Is it providing your sound?

Regular Contributor

I have used component video with analog audio as a workaround because there are no dropouts with that setup. However I still switch over to HDMI to check on it and still get drops with that way
Regular Contributor

I just re-read my post and realize i had a typo. I use the COMPONENT video so I can still watch in HD. I just edited that post. Sorry for the mistake. PS. Do u have or are u familiar with this issue?