Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

@r.gawron wrote:

I'm not getting the dropouts when the STB is in stereo (PCM), just when set to surround. 

Yeah, stereo works fine.  Always has.  I've just never heard of LONG audio dropouts when using surround.  Mine are long enough to be annoying, but they're under 1 second.

Do you notice any lip-sync issues when using surround and watching something like a news broadcast, CNN, etc?  See my previous post above yours.

I'm trying to determine if the lip-sync issues I'm noticing on surround are unique to my setup or widepread.  When I toggle between surround and stereo, it's very noticeably better on stereo.

Visitor

The 1-2 second dropouts are the most common. Sometimes the sound just stops ( 20 seconds). If I change the channel then switch it back the sound returns. 

Visitor

I don't have lip syn issues on regular programming. Occasionally I experience it with an older on demand movie. I tried to watch "The Maltese Falcon" last night. The sync issue was horrible. 

Frequent Visitor

I've also had dropouts going back to pre-X1 Comcast HD DVRs.

Since then I've changed: AV receiver, all HDMI and coax cables, new plasma TV, new Comcast router, X1 box with blue light... I can't think of anything I haven't changed. 

Guess what: still get dropouts. Yes, they get better and worse, sometimes disappear for weeks on end. But they always come back.  Recently I've also had picture freezes. 

Only thing that's worked for me is periodically chatting with a Comcast rep online. They always seem to remotely find some "congestion" or something similar, and repair it remotely. It works for a while.

Last time was a week ago. They fixed it remotely, then sent a tech out who changed a box in the basement, and...

Had another freeze last night and just now had a short audio dropout  while I was typing this.

So... I'm putting up with it because I can get relief remotely, at least temporarily, and I'm locked in to a 2 year contract.

Hope this helps someone: try chatting with a rep when you have big issues. And do it again when they return.

Visitor

I'm getting dropouts with a Sonos surround system, which is receiverless. I have a playbar, sub and 2 play ones ( rear speakers). 

Visitor

I've messaged you twice and haven't heard back. I'm interested in anything that will help solve this.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast has acknowledged that they are aware of the this issue and they are testing fixes. Strongly suggest that people read (or at least scan) this entire thread.

Comcast is trying to add Dolby Digital Plus so they can upgrade us to Dolby Atmos. They having issues with the encoding...
Regular Contributor

@r.gawron wrote:

I've messaged you twice and haven't heard back. I'm interested in anything that will help solve this.

You've messaged WHO twice?  ComcastEric?  He has stopped responding to my messages as well.  Not sure if he still works for Comcast or what.

My biggest issue with outputting surround at the point is that the lip-sync is noticeably off vs. outputting stereo.  It's very apparent when switching back and forth.  This started a couple/few months ago.

I'm really surprised others aren't complaining about this.  I've tried 2 different X1 boxes and they both have the same issue.  No other changes to my equipment (Denon AVR) and none of my other devices exhibit this lip-sync problem (Apple TV, Blu-ray player, etc.)  

Gold Problem Solver

In my opinion, the fact that Comcast is no longer commenting on this issue suggests they struggling with it.

In regards to audio sync, I suggest that people read my recent posts in the threads that address audio sync.
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
In my opinion, the fact that Comcast is no longer commenting on this issue suggests they struggling with it.

In regards to audio sync, I suggest that people read my recent posts in the threads that address audio sync.

Thanks Rick.  I hadn't seen the other threads re: audio/lip-sync issues.  I just responded to them to add some "me too" comments to hopefully draw some visibility to this issue.

Gold Problem Solver

It occurred to me that Comcast could be trying to fix the drop out problem and audio sync problem at the same time. Yet I doubt that because I believe they are greatly different issues.

As I mentioned in my other posts, everyone owns different gear. Not everyone uses the same connections. I am not convinced the audio sync issue is entirely Comcast's fault.

I think the audio sync issue will be nearly impossible to fix for all users in all circumstances.
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
It occurred to me that Comcast could be trying to fix the drop out problem and audio sync problem at the same time. Yet I doubt that because I believe they are greatly different issues.

As I mentioned in my other posts, everyone owns different gear. Not everyone uses the same connections. I am not convinced the audio sync issue is entirely Comcast's fault.

I think the audio sync issue will be nearly impossible to fix for all users in all circumstances.

The audio sync issue is most definitely Comcast's fault for these reasons:

1. It's a relatively new issue - started in the Fall I believe.  I never noticed it before this.  I believe they introduced the lip-sync isssue when they were trying to fix the audio dropouts (which they were clearly going about the fix the wrong way).

2.  I do not have the lip-sync issues on ANY of my other devices when watching Blu-ray, Netflix, iTunes, etc.  All of my sources are routed through my Denon AVR via HDMI.

Gold Problem Solver

Don't agree. People have been complaining about audio sync since the first day's of X1.

Also, I have a Marantz 7010 receiver (similar to yours) and other than "Live with Kelly" I have no sync issues in either stereo or surround? Why is mine OK and yours isn't? It would be narrow minded thinking to not recognize that associated equipment and connections could easily have something to do with this. Why do I notice the sync issue MUCH more on my one system that uses a TOSLINK audio connection vs. HDMI.

Just because your other sources are OK does not mean that Comcast is entirely at fault. Did you miss the part where it said the problem could easily be the original broadcasts? In my case, the issue I notice with "Live with Kelly" obviously begins with the broadcast...

I understand that you what this fixed but I think your troubleshooting processes need to be more global...

Also I think it is important to note that my X1 signal levels are verified to be easily within spec. Personally I think that anyone experiencing this issue should have a tech out to verify their signal levels. Before you tell me that your signal levels are fine I will remind you that the only person who can accurately measure ALL CRITICAL X1 signal levels is an on site tech.

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
Don't agree. People have been complaining about audio sync since the first day's of X1.

Also, I have a Marantz 7010 receiver (similar to yours) and other than "Live with Kelly" I have no sync issues in either stereo or surround? Why is mine OK and yours isn't? It would be narrow minded thinking to not recognize that associated equipment and connections could easily have something to do with this.

Just because your other sources are OK does not mean that Comcast is entirely at fault. Did you miss the part where it said the problem could easily be the original broadcasts? In my case, the issue I notice with "Live with Kelly" obviously begins with the broadcast...

I understand that you what this fixed but I think your troubleshooting processes need to be more global...

Also I think it is important to note that my X1 signal levels are verified to be easily within spec. Personally I think that anyone experiencing this issue should have a tech out to verify their signal levels. Before you tell me that your signal levels are fine I will remind you that the only person who can accurately measure ALL CRITICAL X1 signal levels is an on site tech.

I've had ~4 techs out over the past year.  Most of those visits were due to random split-second internet dropouts (just long enough to kick me off of my company's VPN for example).  Every tech has told me my signals look good.  My downstream is usually around 0 (give or take), upstream around 45-46 and SNR is around 36-37.  I know that there are a couple of values that only Comcast can see on their end (I think upstream SNR) and I've been told by tier 2 techs that those look good as well.

I believe my MOCA devices (that I've had for years to send internet from one floor to another over the coax) were interfering with the signals just enough to cause these random dropouts.  I've had them unplugged for a few weeks and haven't seen any issues since.

Why do I have more surround lip-sync issues than you?  I have no idea.  Maybe I just notice it more than you do?  Not sure.  Sometimes it's very obvious and other times the issues are subtle.  However, as soon as I toggle to stereo, even the subtle issues (when I'm not 100% positive that the audio is out of sync) become readily apparent, as stereo is perfect.  Then when I toggle back to surround, things just don't look right in comparison.  This is the case on virtually EVERY broadcast and channel if you look for it.  Maybe you aren't looking hard enough for the problem?  I'd suggest that you toggle between stereo and surround on things like news broadcasts even when you don't think there's a problem.  You may be surprised to find that stereo just looks more "right" after toggling.  Then again, maybe not.  Maybe the problem doesn't really exist in your set up.  My Denon is probably a few years older than your Marantz, but I do not have the issue on any other source.  Maybe the issue has been around for a long time, but it's definitely gotten worse in recent months - probably as a result of trying to "fix" the surround dropouts.

I've had both the Arris V3 and Pace V3 boxes and both of them have the same exact audio issues (dropouts and lip-sync).

No offense Rick, but you're often quick to defend Comcast.  I'm 100% positive the problem is on their end and I'm 99% positive that the lip-sync issue is related to the surround audio dropouts.  Before Comcast supposedly figured out the real root of the dropouts, I got the impression that they were going about the fix in the wrong manner (basically software hacks vs. enabling what they needed to enable on the chip) and I think their attempts to fix the dropout issue has consistently made the lip-sync issues worse.

As a result, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the audio dropouts and lip-sync issues are fixed at the same time, as I think the RIGHT fix will solve both problems simultaneously.

Gold Problem Solver

Well done on your signal levels. They are fine except your upstream is a bit high for my tastes. Mine are between 35 an 40. ComcastAndrew may say that 35 is too low but it seems to work for me. The big thing that only a Comcast tech can test for is ingress and egress (noise entering the lines or signals leaking from the lines). Also, a Comcast tech can see a "history" of your signals, not just real time.

I criticize Comcast when I feel it is appropriate but I defend them when I feel it is appropriate.

In regards to other sources, I have a Roku Ultra (nice product), Sony Blu-ray (4K Blu-ray player coming soon) and a Sony CD/DVD/SACD player (the sound quality of multi channel SACD is mind blowing) along with my SR7010. In regards to audio sync these are not valid comparisons. The only valid comparison to Comcast in regards to audio sync is over the air broadcasts. My new LG OLED has audio sync issues of it's own so I haven't taken the time to thoroughly compare Comcast to over the air on my main system. 

I can tell you that when I watch Live with Kelly over the air on my Panny plasma and SONOS Playbar the audio sync is still off which verifies my claims that the problem is probably the broadcast.

Yes, the more I think about it the more I think Comcast could be working a "global" fix. They claimed they did this once before with the original "2.0" firmware.

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Also, I have a Marantz 7010 receiver (similar to yours) and other than "Live with Kelly" I have no sync issues in either stereo or surround? Why is mine OK and yours isn't? It would be narrow minded thinking to not recognize that associated equipment and connections could easily have something to do with this.

I've had ~4 techs out over the past year.  Most of those visits were due to random split-second internet dropouts (just long enough to kick me off of my company's VPN for example).  Every tech has told me my signals look good.  My downstream is usually around 0 (give or take), upstream around 45-46 and SNR is around 36-37.  I know that there are a couple of values that only Comcast can see on their end (I think upstream SNR) and I've been told by tier 2 techs that those look good as well.

I believe my MOCA devices (that I've had for years to send internet from one floor to another over the coax) were interfering with the signals just enough to cause these random dropouts.  I've had them unplugged for a few weeks and haven't seen any issues since.

Why do I have more surround lip-sync issues than you?  I have no idea.  Maybe I just notice it more than you do?  Not sure.  Sometimes it's very obvious and other times the issues are subtle.  However, as soon as I toggle to stereo, even the subtle issues (when I'm not 100% positive that the audio is out of sync) become readily apparent, as stereo is perfect.  Then when I toggle back to surround, things just don't look right in comparison.  This is the case on virtually EVERY broadcast and channel if you look for it.  Maybe you aren't looking hard enough for the problem?  I'd suggest that you toggle between stereo and surround on things like news broadcasts even when you don't think there's a problem.  You may be surprised to find that stereo just looks more "right" after toggling.  Then again, maybe not.  Maybe the problem doesn't really exist in your set up.  My Denon is probably a few years older than your Marantz, but I do not have the issue on any other source.  Maybe the issue has been around for a long time, but it's definitely gotten worse in recent months - probably as a result of trying to "fix" the surround dropouts.

I've had both the Arris V3 and Pace V3 boxes and both of them have the same exact audio issues (dropouts and lip-sync).

No offense Rick, but you're often quick to defend Comcast.  I'm 100% positive the problem is on their end and I'm 99% positive that the lip-sync issue is related to the surround audio dropouts.  Before Comcast supposedly figured out the real root of the dropouts, I got the impression that they were going about the fix in the wrong manner (basically software hacks vs. enabling what they needed to enable on the chip) and I think their attempts to fix the dropout issue has consistently made the lip-sync issues worse.

As a result, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the audio dropouts and lip-sync issues are fixed at the same time, as I think the RIGHT fix will solve both problems simultaneously.

Visitor

I PM'd both Comcast Eric and Comcast Eleana. I didn't receive a reply from either. I just hung up the phone with comcast tier 3 support. The person I spoke with was polite and sounded like he wanted to help. They tried to send a firmware update to me, but it wouldn't go through. A tech is coming out to my house tomorrow . Perhaps a resolution is forth coming. I'm not experiencing the lip sync issues, just the audio dropouts. And I've read through most of this forum before I posted in an effort to determine if he problem was with my surround hardware or the cable system. A tech was here one month ago and replaced the STB because of a pervasive tiling issue. No more tiling, but now I have audio dropouts. Perhaps I didn't notice the audio dropouts during the tiling because the picture was perpetually going into tile mode. Who knows? Maybe this time...

Regular Visitor

I'm sitting here watching the Cowboys/Packers game, and my X1 audio is dropping constantly.  This is beyond irritating at this point.  Given how long this problem has persisted, I'm sure this is a difficult problem to fix, but that's no excuse for not keeping your customers updated on your progress.  The lack of updates to this thread is a prime example of why Comcast wins the Worst Company in Amercia award year after year.

Contributor

It's interesting that you are getting more frequent drop-outs on the NFL game.  One thing I notice is that major broadacasts -- sports playoff games, big award shows and the like -- tend to have more dropouts and I wonder if the sound that accompanies those broadcasts is more complicated to decode (not sure I'm using the right vernacular here, so RickGr4 please don't crucify me).  Those broadcasts do tend to have better sound in general in terms of soundstage, sound separation and fidelity at least to my ears.  This would lead to the conclusion RickGr4 posted a week or so ago that the issue is encoding/decoding with the more complex the coding/decoding the more frequent the audio drop-outs.

It is a very frustrating issue and has taken far too long to fix given that this is what Comcast is supposed to be expert at.  There have been all sorts of promises of fixes, rebates on bills for folks who tested software builds, etc.  None of that has come to pass and it is extremely disappointing given that the X1 platform shows huge promise.  It would be nice if someone gave us an update even if the update is that they are still struggling to fix it.  Oh, wait, I forgot, in the Trump era no one need admit that they did anything wrong or that they don't know how to do something.

Regular Visitor

Are there any updates on this issue?  I have been experiencing audio drop outs since upgrading to X1 last June.  I have had Comcast replace my DVR twice and have have spoke to tier 2 support at least a half a dozen times and they have not resolved the issue.  They just reboot my box and claim it is fixed!  Nobody has admitted that it is a known problem!!

I agree that it seems to happen more often during big games (ie; Super Bowl) and other major broadcasts!  When is Comcast going to get this fixed???

Contributor

Dropouts were bad during the Grammys.  Clearly this is something that is extremely complicated and the fact that not everyone is experiencing it may make it less of a priority for Comcast.  Just speculating.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes the dropouts were really bad during the Grammys and yes, it appears the issues is probably codecs.

It is very rare that Comcast admits a problem. In the case of the audio drop outs Comcast admitted this was their issue to fix.

My concern is very simple. Comcast may have acknowledged this issue but many other things (including defective signals) can cause audio drop outs. I am worried that some people are sitting around waiting for Comcast to provide a fix when the problem could be elsewhere.

Frequent Visitor

Can you expound on that Rick? Where else could the problem be?

Gold Problem Solver

Signal issues. As I have said countless times before, only an on site tech can fully check all X1 signal levels. Ingress and egress (noise on the lines or signal leaking from the lines) and possibly even poor grounding issues could cause this issue. Only an on site tech can test for these issues.

A defective X1 box could cause this issue.

Defective or improperly installed or improperly setup AV gear could cause this type of issue.

Cables. When cables fail (especially TOSLINK cables) they can cause these symptoms. I can't count how many times I have encountered bad or poorly installed TOSLINK cables can create drop outs much like what I have encountered with X1. Defective or poor fitting HDMI cables can cause this issue.

Firmware mismatches. How many TV's are currently available? How many AV products are currently available?  How many combinations are possible? How do we know if everyone has updated firmware? HDMI and HDCP require handshakes to work properly. We already know that X1 boxes are not fully compliant with well known HDMI specs. How do we know which AV products are not compliant and how they will interact X1 boxes?

@Dr-X wrote:

Can you expound on that Rick? Where else could the problem be?

Contributor

I may be one of the few exceptions here, but my audio dropouts have completely ceased starting about two months ago. I'll post back with my firmware number . I did notice while checking the audio preferences under Device Settings that it's a new configuration. My Arris box used to give me two options under HDMI Audio Output: Stereo and Surround. It's different now. Sorry, but I can't remember the specifics so I'll post back with those but it now says something to the effect of Auto Detect Dolby Digital 5.1. I believe I still have the option to switch it to Stereo.

Don't know if this is related but my Video setting had also reverted back to 720, so I had to switch it back to 1080p and reboot. Maybe it was related to the firmware update, but I can't say for sure. I can say that I have experienced no audio dropouts in live TV or OnDemand for at least two months.

Contributor

Dahmenator,

Looking forward to your update...

Contributor

As promised, here is my STB information. For security reasons, I blurred out my MAC address and Device ID.

IMG_5575.jpg

And this is what my new audio panel looks like under Settings / Device Settings / Audio.

IMG_1024.jpg

My AV receiver is a Sony STR-DH550. I'm using an HDMI cable from the X1 STB to the Sony AV receiver's HDMI In SAT/CATV, and then another HDMI from the reciever's HDMI TV Out ARC to my LG smart TV.

Oddly enough, I don't have an optical cable connected to my X1 STB, so I'm not sure if the Digital Audio Output (Optical/SPDIF) menu item shown above is just there because it's "always on", or if the STB is detecting the optical cable I have going directly from my LG smart TV to the Sony AV receiver but bypassing my STB. I use the optical cable for occasionally watching movie trailers on YouTube. For some reason, the ARC is not working for me and not switching to the proper audio channel when I turn on the YouTube app on my LG smart TV. So I switch the Sony AV reciver to Optical when I'm in running the YouTube app.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

Well, I started this discussion on X1 audio dropouts over a year ago - and a previous discussion almost a year prior to that - and have seen no progress from Comcast regarding this issue.

I went off my 2 year agreement in January and, like clockwork, Comcast raised my price $20. I'm now paying almost $200/mo. for a Double Play (internet & TV) that includes; Performance Internet with a Blast upgrade (~100 Mbps download), Digital Preferred + HBO, SHO, STARZ which is rediculous. I'm going back to DirecTV after March Madness is over. Sorry guys... I/m D O N E!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

11/25/15 
@mryflyguy wrote:

I've been battling momentary, random audio (only) dropouts since my X1 was installed earlier this year. I know this issue has been well documented on this forum for several years but I'm wondering - has anyone has found a definitive 2015 resolution for this problem?

I am currently on my 3d X1 trying to resolve either 1) a loud fan, 2) audio dropouts, or 3) both. The current box is a Pace box with a fairly loud fan which is connected directly to a Samsung SHUD 4K TV's One Connect mini I/O hub. Unfortunately, I did not check the manufacturer of the first two X1s so I can't say whether I've tried a Motorola or not. Is installing an Arris/Motorola made X1 still the resolution that will most likely resolve this audio dropout problem? I'm seriously ready to deem Comcast in breach of contract and resign with DirecTV. I certainly have the support cases logged to substantiate a claim of non-performance!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott 

Regular Visitor

Thanks for giving us your information.   I have very similar firmware versions but just noticed I have a Pace STB instead of an Arris.  I called Comcast and they are going to send a tech out with an Arris box tomorrow.  I am hoping that fixes the issue.  It is driving me crazy!

Contributor

I've had an Arris box since August 2016 and had the same audio dropouts as everyone else. I know some people were on Pace systems and upgraded to Arris without any improvement. But hopefully running the Arris with this newest, current firmware version is the magic formula.

For me, the audio dropouts stopped about two months ago (maybe less). I didn't even notice and didn't think to check my STB configuration until this thread was updated and I got an email alert. That's when I realized that I hadn't heard a droput for some time and quickly checked my settings and noticed the different UI options.

Post back after the tech hooks you up with the Arris and let us know if your audio settings panel looks like mine, and whether or not your dropouts stop.

Regular Visitor

The tech came Friday afternoon and replaced my Pace box with an Arris box.  He told me that the box would update and put the latest firmware on the box.  When I checked it appeared the firmware was one version behind from what Dahmenator had reported.  I was still having the dropout issues about every 5 minutes.  Friday evening I called Comcast and requested the latest firmware. The tier 1 tech reported that she did the update and when I checked it looked like the same versions that Dahmenator had reported.

While the problem hasn't been completely eliminated, I am having much less dropouts with the Arris box and the latest firmware.  Prior to the upgrade I was averaging a dropout once every 5 minutes or about 10 - 12 per hour.  With the new upgrade it only happens  once or twice an hour and sometimes not at all during an hour.  A big improvement for me! 

Thank you Dahmenator for posting your configuration and your results!

Contributor

You're welcome. But it may have all been too soon. Comcast uploaded a new firmware to my STB and the audio dropouts, for me, returned this weekend. It wasn't too bad. I had about 5 or 6 total from Saturday to Monday. One was on a DVR show I recorded Saturday night, the rest were druing live TV on various channels.

The new firmware is only a slight bump from the last one I posted: AX013AN_2.7p4s2_PROD_sey versus the previous AX013AN_2.7p2s1_PROD_sey.

All other configuraitons are the same.

IMG_3895.jpg

Regular Visitor

Yes, that is the same exact firmware versions I have.  Last evening we had zero dropouts (at least none that we noticed).  Hope it continues!

Thanks again for posting.

Highlighted
Contributor

I had one dropout last night during live TV. So for me, the dropouts have returned with 2.7p4s2 though not as prolific. I had zero dropouts with 2.7p2s1. It seems like Comcast is closing in on the culprit and will (hopefully) have a permanent fix soon. At least we know they're still working on the issue.

Regular Contributor

Hello all. I haven't posted my info for a while because NOTHING has changed in the six months since getting my new TV. But I saw recent activity on the thread and wanted to give my two cents in the event that anyone at Comcast is still trying to solve this mystery. Some notes...

1. I have had both  Arris and Pace STB's and both have the problem. I currently have Pace and I MUST keep it because the Arris reacts to the remote of my secondary box that sits in the same room (Cisco RNG150.)

2. My firmware is 72P5.

3. This problem ONLY occurs thru the HDMI connection (which is connected to the TV and I use the TV's speakers.) When I use my surround receiver - which is connected via optical and analog, NO DROP OUTS. 

4. If I pause Live TV than immediately play it back - basically creating my own 5 second delay - there is NO DROPOUT! 

5. I concur that problem is worse during major events like live sports and awards shows, etc. This may just be because many are watching the same channel at the same time, or increased traffic on the network. 

I really think these notes are important clues for the engineers who are (hopefully) working this issue. Please keep all of us posted on progress.

Thanks for all who are participating!

Gold Problem Solver

It is important to know that Comcast often "fixes" things within X1 without changing firmware version numbers.

I have found with X1 that religiously tracking version numbers can be a waste of time...

Broken record saying this again... The information that is critical is make and model of the gear involved and the connections...
Regular Contributor

For the record we're talking Pace PX001ANC, Samsung UN40KU6300F, connected via Comcast-supplied HDMI as well as one purchased from Walmart. When the Cisco RNG150 is connected to the same input there is no dropout. It only occurs with the X1 boxes. Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

I also suggest that people go back to page 3 and 4 of this thread and CAREFULLY read them.

For most people posting in this thread, your concerns have already been answered (not solved but answered).

Lots of repeat and duplicate scatter goin on in this thread...

@Steveromo wrote:

For the record we're talking Pace PX001ANC, Samsung UN40KU6300F, connected via Comcast-supplied HDMI as well as one purchased from Walmart. When the Cisco RNG150 is connected to the same input there is no dropout. It only occurs with the X1 boxes. Thanks!

Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
It is important to know that Comcast often "fixes" things within X1 without changing firmware version numbers.

I have found with X1 that religiously tracking version numbers can be a waste of time...

What's REALLY important to know is that these dropouts can occur with EITHER X1 manufacturer and ANY connection (direct to TV or surround system).

The other thing we know is there has been ZERO progress in resolving this audio dropout issue in the last two years. Any additional effort into resolving it is simply a waste of time. You need to either live with them or find another provider. A bit harsh, but fact. 

New Poster

That is a rediculous comment. Some of us do not have a choice. We are stuck with Comcast. They sure want theyre rediculous fees every month. They should be held accountable for supplying us with proper service and if not held accountable. Or some compensation untill they come to a technical solution.
Expert

@Bobaudio wrote:
That is a rediculous comment. Some of us do not have a choice. We are stuck with Comcast. They sure want theyre rediculous fees every month. They should be held accountable for supplying us with proper service and if not held accountable. Or some compensation untill they come to a technical solution.

you didn't hit the 'quote' button so there is no indication as to which post you are referring.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Bobaudio wrote:

you didn't hit the 'quote' button so there is no indication as to which post you are referring.

Probably mine...

Bob - I started this SECOND audio dropout thread 11/2015. The best you'll be able to do is exit your contract early due to non-performance on Comcast's part. I could have done that 6 months ago but decided to let it expire hoping it would get better. Good luck with your conquest holding Comcast accountable for anything!! 

New Poster

Yes it was yours. My apology for the error. I have been following this thread for a year or more. Except for the drop out issue. The system works great. Its just annoying that they cannot fix this issue.
Valued Contributor
Frequent Visitor

Sound issue with X1

Hello about 4 months ago i bought a new tv, a samsung KS8000.  From day one my sound will cut out 3-4 times per hour, sometimes more sometimes less, for a quick second.  Its enough to miss a word here or there in a show and wasnt a huge deal but it has been becoming more frustrating.  I contacted samsung first and because this only happens while using my cable box they said to contact xfinity.  I spoke with someone via chat the other night and basically just told me its xfinity issue amd they are working on it.  I was happy cause this was the most honest straight forward xfinitys been with me before but concering that its a know issue and hasnt been fix in this amount of time.  Does anyone know when i can expect to be able to watch tv without being frustrated.  Thanks in advance

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Sound issue with X1

Please, please, please do some research and reading in the forum you posted in.

It is a well known issue and is discussed daily...

Frequent Visitor

I have but none give an answer to when i might expect this issue to be resolved. Which is what i asked.

Gold Problem Solver

That would suggest it is not resolved..........

@cp10goat70 wrote:

I have but none give an answer to when i might expect this issue to be resolved. Which is what i asked.

Frequent Visitor

So maybe mentioning it as much as possible might cause them to try and fix it, instead of reading old threads.  I pay way to much as it is for this service, its also basically is my only option for service, and guess what i just spent alot of hard earned money on a tv that i wanted.  Now not because of the tv but my service is causing an issue thats been well known for what seems a while.  Seems like people, ie you, are a little complacent.

Gold Problem Solver

Me? Complacent? Na.

I have been hanging around here long enough and pay enough attention that I know what is going on. Up to date information in regards to your concerns is quite easy to find.

Duplicate and repetitive threads are the cancer of any forum and the X1 forum has a serious case of it. I participate in four other on line forums. The X1 forum is by far the most undisciplined.

Comcast rarely if ever admits to a problem. In the case of audio dropouts Comcast has admitted it is their problem, it is probably related to codecs and they are working on it. That is much more than we usually get from them.

We all own different gear that may or may not help with this problem. X1 boxes require nearly perfect signal levels. I continue to contend that some people experiencing this issue are in fact having signal issues.

Please do some reading in this forum. There happens to be plenty of knowledgeable people hanging around here. Up to date information is readily available.

@cp10goat70 wrote:

So maybe mentioning it as much as possible might cause them to try and fix it, instead of reading old threads.  I pay way to much as it is for this service, its also basically is my only option for service, and guess what i just spent alot of hard earned money on a tv that i wanted.  Now not because of the tv but my service is causing an issue thats been well known for what seems a while.  Seems like people, ie you, are a little complacent.

New Poster

I also began having these sound issues approx. 1-2 months ago - intermittent and eventually my picture started freezing up.  Purchased new TV last July and connected to X1 HD box.  Two techs have been out and switched out everything at least twice.  Any updates on this issue?