Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

20 to 30 seconds??

Your issues are far beyond what is being discussed here. If you do not know how to troubleshoot AV gear either have a friend help you or have Comcast send a tech out.

Something else is wrong....

@SFguy wrote:

I have exactly the same version and a deteriorating experience also. Last night while watching the US Tennis Open on ESPN HD live, the sound would constantly drop, sometimes for 20-30 seconds at a time. This is the first time I've ever had drops of that duration. They have usually been under 5-10 seconds. It's extremely disruptive as you lose the entire context of the commentary or conversation. It seems really odd that this not only can't be fixed, but is now becoming much worse with each passing version.

@psully10 wrote:
I have had PX001AN_2.4p11s5_PROD pushed to my box and the issue is still ten times worse than months ago

New Poster

I have the same tv with the same problem.  Switched out the box today  will see if that helps

Frequent Visitor

They are definitely getting worse. XG1-P box to Onkyo TX-RZ800 via HDMI throughout. The odd thing is, we have had the dropouts intermittently for as long as I can remember, but after upgrading to the rz800 from another, lower tiered Onkyo receiver, they have without a doubt gotten noticeably worse. My wife keeps blaming it on my new receiver, because that's when she really started noticing them. For us, the dropouts occur more often on the music channels and on-demand programming. It seems especially worse on ShowTime on-demand for whatever reason. Our patience is wearing thin with this issue, and luckily we are in an area that gets FIOS, so it's only a matter of time before we won't have to be annoyed by it anymore. It is obvious that they need more people working on the issue.

Regular Visitor

I just wanted to add my name to the list of folks experiencing these random 1-2 second audio dropouts. I just got the X1 system installed on 9/10/16 and have had these problems ever since. I do have an older Denon receiver connected by HDMI to the X1 box. It has been happening on both Live and On Demand programs. STB version 2.4. It's showing a green light around the power button, not blue (havent yet checked the manufacturer).

I will keep an eye on this thread for a while, then probably request a different X1 box.

Thanks,

TC

Official Employee

All,

Thanks for the continued information. I'll start looking into each account accordingly.

SFguy - you definitely have something going on beyond the scope of this thread, but I'll look into it and see what I can find.

R132, Nightbreed357, and PghSteelerFan43 - I'll start digging into your problems as well.

We're continuously looking for the source(s) of this problem and, although we have reloved this for some, we're still trying to determine why the issue continues for others.

Please know that I'm working daily on this, but currently on the road. Regardless, I'll be in touch with all of you via PM when I find out more specifics to your problems.

Thanks all for your vigilance and patience. Every bit of information helps.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

All,

Thanks for the continued information. I'll start looking into each account accordingly.

SFguy - you definitely have something going on beyond the scope of this thread, but I'll look into it and see what I can find.

R132, Nightbreed357, and PghSteelerFan43 - I'll start digging into your problems as well.

We're continuously looking for the source(s) of this problem and, although we have reloved this for some, we're still trying to determine why the issue continues for others.

Please know that I'm working daily on this, but currently on the road. Regardless, I'll be in touch with all of you via PM when I find out more specifics to your problems.

Thanks all for your vigilance and patience. Every bit of information helps.

The sound drops have returned to the short duration--less than 10 seconds, mostly less than 5 seconds--since that day when I was experiencing those long ones. No idea why. I didn't change anything.

Gold Problem Solver

As previously mentioned your issue are different and beyond what is being discussed in this thread.
Regular Contributor

I too am having this issue. My X1 DVR (PX 001 ANC) and my brand new Samsung TV (UN40KU 6300.) 1-second audio dropout at random times. Problem more frequent in prime time than during the day. Tried multiple HDMI cables, swapped DVR with a RNG 150, and ran my DVR to another TV... all had no problems. It is ONLY when the X1 DVR is connected to the Samsung via HDMI. Signal levels: Downstream Received -4.3 / Downstream SNR 37.3 / Upstream Power 51.0. I have seen posts in other forums that indicate a problem between Samsung TV's and Comcast DVR's. Anxiously awaiting a solution!

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast is very aware of this issue (as discussed earlier in this thread).

However the upstream number you posted is a the very edge of being out of spec (it is out of spec in my opinion) and should be addressed or it probably will cause you trouble at some point.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but I also have a Samsung TV.  I haven't read every post in this thread, but I assume that other people are having the same dropout issues on TVs other than Samsungs, correct?  Although I really can't see how that could have anything to do with it. 

@Steveromo wrote:

I too am having this issue. My X1 DVR (PX 001 ANC) and my brand new Samsung TV (UN40KU 6300.) 1-second audio dropout at random times. Problem more frequent in prime time than during the day. Tried multiple HDMI cables, swapped DVR with a RNG 150, and ran my DVR to another TV... all had no problems. It is ONLY when the X1 DVR is connected to the Samsung via HDMI. Signal levels: Downstream Received -4.3 / Downstream SNR 37.3 / Upstream Power 51.0. I have seen posts in other forums that indicate a problem between Samsung TV's and Comcast DVR's. Anxiously awaiting a solution!

Frequent Visitor

ABSOLUETLY AWFUL TONIGHT WATCHING THE PATRIOTS GAME ON BOTH LOCAL CBS AND THE NFL NETWORK

NEED SOME PROGRESS ASAP AS THE PROBLEM GETS WORSE
New Poster

Agree. Bad. 

I recently got a new Samsung replacing a plasma Pioneer. Never had audio dropout problem with the old TV. Have it frequently now. 

I have HDMI to the OneConnect and Optical to Sonos sound bar. 

Very irritating. 

Official Employee

Many of you are mentioning your Samsung TV's. Samsung recently had some issues with audio drops independent of what we are experiencing with the X1 devices. Samsung reprotedly released a firmware update that "fixed" their issue. Please make sure all of your Samsung displays are updated (as well as any other devices you have in your setups). It has and does make a difference. In the meantime, we're readying another patch now to push, but we're working on making it "generic" to the platform. Meaning, we're working on making a patch work on all the boxes in the platform

I'll keep you all posted.

Also, I've been talking with many of you and I see a commonality with LIVE sports broadcasts. Does this sound accurate? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hi ComcastEricG,

I just received my replacement X1 box that was also experiencing Audio dropouts.  Here are my specs:

Arris Model AX013ANM

FW: STB Version AXO13AN_2.5p3s1_PROD_sey

Still having audio drop from shows DVR'd.  If you can, please put me in the loop for beta testing any firmware updates. Thanks for your continued help on this matter,

Feel free to msg me for any additional information you need for this to happen.  I'm in the North Alabama area.

harris128

Official Employee

Cadman01 - yes, I will keep you in the loop for audio patches. I usually give this thread a shout before pushing anything to see who is willing to test, so stay tuned. It is my hope to have another patch to push in the next couple of weeks, so I'll keep you all posted. Thank You

Contributor

Thanks Eric, one thing I noticed is I watched a recorded show from our CBS station today, NCIS:New Orleans and it contained audio drop outs.  But watch a recorded Jepordy from our ABC station and it contained no audio dropouts.  Will audit some other channels that I record and report in.  Don't know if this is a pattern. Cadman01

Regular Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Cadman01 - yes, I will keep you in the loop for audio patches. I usually give this thread a shout before pushing anything to see who is willing to test, so stay tuned. It is my hope to have another patch to push in the next couple of weeks, so I'll keep you all posted. Thank You

Eric,

You realize that this problem has been going on for nearly a year now, right?  I'm not trying to shoot the messenger - I know you are doing your best and appreciate the updates that you post periodically, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Contributor

Jkozlow:

I am as frustrated as you are, but given the amount of time it has taken this is clearly a very complicaed issue. 

Eric:

Live sports broadcasts and DVR'd and On Demand are the worst for dropouts in my opinion.  I am also pretty sure that the dropouts only occur if you have some sort of A/V receiver driving sound, although it clearly doesn't matter if your hookup is via HDMI or optical.  I can also tell you that if you have a Soundbar there doesn't seem to be any difference if you connect the Soundbar directly to the cable box sound output or, as you can with some setups, connect the TV directly to the cable box and then the Soundbar to the TV sound output.

Just my personal observations having dealt with this issue for over a year.  It might be useful if others experiencing this problem do a little troubleshooting to determine when the dropouts are most frequent as well as try different connections to confirm the above or identify other possible details of the problem.

Andrew

Regular Contributor

Audio drops here as well. In my case, the TV does not process audio. HDMI to my Sony AV box. Short duration, random times, I do not recollect which channels.

Regular Contributor

@asmarks wrote:

Jkozlow:

I am as frustrated as you are, but given the amount of time it has taken this is clearly a very complicaed issue. 

They could have re-architected the entire X1 software in a year.  Comcast is either not devoting enough resources to the issue or they are going about the fix the wrong way.

Contributor

I'm not a software guy, so maybe you are correct.  I think the reason it may not be a top priority is because most people do not use an A/V receiver or soundbar to process sound from their TV and I believe those people are not experiencing any dropouts. 

It is quite frustrating though.

Contributor

ComcastEricG,

What information do I need to provide you in order to receive the patches?

Contributor

" I think the reason it may not be a top priority is because most people do not use an A/V receiver or soundbar to process sound from their TV and I believe those people are not experiencing any dropouts."

This is not true. I have the X1 directly connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI and the audio dropout experience is no different than running it through an AV receiver (I've tried this too). There are plenty of other HDMI direct connected setups reporting this problem in this discussion.
Contributor

Tried a program recorded from NBC, no Audio dropouts. Only seems like CBS so far. Still testing.

Cadman01

Regular Contributor

@Cadman01 wrote:

Tried a program recorded from NBC, no Audio dropouts. Only seems like CBS so far. Still testing.

Cadman01

The problems definitely occur on my local NBC channel.  The issue is intermittent.  Sometimes I don't notice the dropouts very often at all.  At other times, they are more frequent.  They don't seem to be channel-specific.  I think you are wasting your time with testing.

Frequent Visitor

Hot flash for you folks. The random 1 second audio drops also plague the older comcast DVRs (at least, they did here in the SF East Bay Area back in this past summer right around Olympics time). They happen(ed) with direct HDMI connects between DVR and TV set. But, it seems to have disappeared recently ("seems to" because I was gone for most of September and haven't noticed it over the past week).
Regular Contributor

Watched the football game last night on antenna. Input straight to the TV, TV ouput audio signal via optical to my AV unit. No audio dropouts. In fact, no mosquito noise, macro-blocking, motion blur, or any other compression artifacts I have gotten used to with Comcast.

Step up your game, boys.

Contributor

I stand corrected on the issue of the scope of the problem being limited to A/V setups.

Dropouts a plenty for me last night both watching the NFL game and Ray Donovan on demand.

Contributor

Well, I watched some recorded shows on Fox last night without any audio dropouts. CBS is still my only victim.

Cadman01

Official Employee

Audio dropouts are NOT specific to one channel. If you are finding that this is the case for you, then you have a different problem that most likely resides on the frequency that the specific channel lives on. If this is your scenario, let me know and I'll look into that with your local market.

Audio dropouts have proven to be an extremely difficult issue to troubleshoot. There is no method to the madness. They are heard on all assets; meaning linear (live), DVR and OnDemand. They are heard across all boxes on the X1 platform. To our knowledge, they are NOT heard when the box is set to Stereo in the Device Settings/Audio Menu. This is not a software problem. We believe it is something deep within the surround processing and we're digging deep to solve it. We've pushed firmware that has resolved the problem for some but not others and we're digging to find out why this is the case. We've had some report that the problem went away and then returned. In short, the problem is genuinely unique in that it is neither broad across all users, nor consistent among those who actually do experience it. 

Having said that, we're working hard to correct it. We have a full team of engineers working in tandem with our chipset manufacturers, as well as our Surround Sound processing partners.

This is not something we take lightly and we're not ignoring users because they have an A/V setup as opposed to just a box hooked to a TV  (many have also reported the problem with this setup as well).

So, please keep posting your findings. All info is good info. I'll try to check in daily and answer as many questions/concerns as possible, as well as post anything new that may arise. Please know that his thread dictates much of how we proceed (although I do have test facilities and CAN replicate the problem here). As soon as I have a new patch, I'll let this thread know and PM all of you who have PM'd me. AQlso, please encourage newbies to read through the thread thoroughly or PM me if needed.

Thanks to all for your continued patience and ongoing help with this. I'm confident that we'll resolve this by years end.

Regular Contributor

Eric, Thanks for the update. I wanted to follow up with a few notes. My problem happens on ALL the channels I have watched recently, live sports, live news, network primetime shows, DRV shows and on-demand shows. It occurs on both STEREO and SURROUND modes, PCM and BITSTREAM outputs. It happens on my TV speakers thru the HDMI cable as well as when connected to a receiver for surround through an optical cable. Waiting to devote a few hours for a troubleshooting test and will post the results, but here's an interesting thought. When I first got this new TV (Samsung 40 inch 4k) my living room entertainment setup was totally gutted. I connected just the DVR to the TV with an HDMI cable but had nothing else hooked up (No DVD, VCR, or any other audio or video components.) Watched TV like that for about a week before slowly rebuilding my "media room" setup (two cable boxes, two TV's, multiple audio and video components.) I don't recall the audio drop issue during that initial test. It seems that the inclusion of another cable box, a second TV, and other electronics my have initiated this issue. Like I said, I will do a full troubleshooting test some day soon and post what I find. Thanks for working on this with all of us!

Contributor

Steveromo:

I just want to make sure that when you say it occurs on STEREO mode, it is the cable box itself that is set to STEREO in the audio setup portion of the box, and not a STEREO mode on your TV or audio/video components.  I'm sure that is what Eric meant.

Andrew

Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Many of you are mentioning your Samsung TV's. Samsung recently had some issues with audio drops independent of what we are experiencing with the X1 devices. Samsung reprotedly released a firmware update that "fixed" their issue. Please make sure all of your Samsung displays are updated (as well as any other devices you have in your setups). It has and does make a difference. In the meantime, we're readying another patch now to push, but we're working on making it "generic" to the platform. Meaning, we're working on making a patch work on all the boxes in the platform

I'll keep you all posted.

Also, I've been talking with many of you and I see a commonality with LIVE sports broadcasts. Does this sound accurate? 

I would agree with this.  I cannot recall a live sports broadcast where I didn't hear at least 1-2 drops.  As usual though, cannot pin it to any particular channel, day, or time. 

Regular Contributor

it is the stereo and surround modes on the DVR (a PX001 ANC -- BTW who makes that???)  My audio drops occur on both settings, as well as any and all settings on the TV (can't remember the options but tried em all!)

Contributor

Dropouts occur with either Stereo or Surround selected in the X1. It's a streaming or transmission problem since all STBs are reporting this problem. 

Regular Contributor

Has anyone else noticed that the lip sync seems to be off when using surround sound lately?

I've noticed that voices and lips have seemed off for awhile so I actually had Comcast ship me a new X1 box, as I suspected that a recent lightning storm which fried my modem may have been affecting my X1 box as well.  I just hooked up the new X1 box and I'm noticing the same lip sync problem on the new box while watching Meet the Press on NBC this morning.

However, if I switch the X1 box to Stereo, the problems go away!  Lips and voices appear to be perfectly in sync.  If I switch the X1 box back to Surround, the lips/voice are clearly not quite right in comparison.

I'm sending audio from the X1 via HDMI to my Denon AVR.  The Denon AVR process the stereo signal using Dolby PLII surround and this seems to yield a much better result than when having the X1 output surround.

My X1 STB Version: AX013AN_2.5p3s1_Prod_sey

Official Employee

Friends,

We have not experience the audio drop issue when the STB is set to Stereo. I see some of you mentioned that you do hear the problem in stereo? Are you referring to the settings of your equipment or the STB?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Friends,

We have not experience the audio drop issue when the STB is set to Stereo. I see some of you mentioned that you do hear the problem in stereo? Are you referring to the settings of your equipment or the STB?

Thanks

I haven't noticed any dropouts with the STB set to stereo, but it's only been 1 day (see my previous post re: lip-sync issues with the STB set to surround).

Frequent Visitor

Eric, you and your team at one point had this fixed or almost never happening, but it's now back with a vengence.

thanks,

jsirgey

Regular Contributor

OMG, on A&E yesterday afternoon, the shows were so out of whack with audio sync it was comical. Was watching "I almost didn't survive" marathon while waiting out the hurricane. You guys need to get this fixed, this is ridiculous.

Regular Contributor

@MrScott1 wrote:

OMG, on A&E yesterday afternoon, the shows were so out of whack with audio sync it was comical. Was watching "I almost didn't survive" marathon while waiting out the hurricane. You guys need to get this fixed, this is ridiculous.

Yes, lip-sync has been horribly off for me when outputting surround sound from the X1.  Outputting stereo seems to fix the lip-sync issues for now.  Toggling back and forth between stereo and surround is VERY obvious that there is a lip-sync issue!!

Eric, is your team not aware of these issues??

New Poster

We have the audio dropout problem too, had it for a long time. It is not bad enough to call service, but it is bad enough to be annoying. I have noticed a few ways to make it happen on demand. One way is to bring up the Program Guide and press and hold the up or down scroll button. Many dropouts happen when you do that. I just tried setting the STB to stereo, and it does not happen in that mode. Another way to make it happen is to use on demand to turn on e.g. a Cinemax program. It always happens as the Cinemax logo appears with its logo jingle. I checked the firmware version and it is up to date, september 28 version, if I decode the information correctly. Let me know if you want to know more.
New Poster

Found another interesting thing: the scroll-through-the-guide sound dropouts seem to be somewhat channel dependent. On FOX news HD it is almost not noticeable, but on CNN-HD it is almost constant.
New Poster

Sound drop outs continue, but have slowed down.  Always have a dropout when I start a new program on demand or change channels.

Frequent Visitor

Same here, I am also constantly getting the dropouts now when starting a new show from on-demand, beginning recorded shows, and switching to new channels. I do not really remember that happening this much before.

@Cozmr2 wrote:

Sound drop outs continue, but have slowed down.  Always have a dropout when I start a new program on demand or change channels.

Contributor

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

Yes, lip-sync has been horribly off for me when outputting surround sound from the X1.  Outputting stereo seems to fix the lip-sync issues for now.  Toggling back and forth between stereo and surround is VERY obvious that there is a lip-sync issue!!

I don't want to get too far off-topic here but for a quick answer - If you're sending the X1 audio signal to a multimedia receiver (audio output = SURROUND), you'll need to adjust the digital audio delay settings on your receiver which allows you to synchronize the sound with the video. All multimedia receivers/amps have this functionality. I had to play with my settings a bit but eventually matched it to the video pretty well. 

Regular Contributor

@mryflyguy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

I don't want to get too far off-topic here but for a quick answer - If you're sending the X1 audio signal to a multimedia receiver (audio output = SURROUND), you'll need to adjust the digital audio delay settings on your receiver which allows you to synchronize the sound with the video. All multimedia receivers/amps have this functionality. I had to play with my settings a bit but eventually matched it to the video pretty well. 

Most (maybe all) modern AVRs have "auto" lip-sync for HDMI signals and I have the "auto" lip-sync enabled.  There are no lip-sync issues when outputting "stereo" from the X1.  Lip-sync is very noticeably off when outputting "surround" however.

I'm not going to adjust my AVR - I've never had to manually set the lip-sync.  "Auto" lip-sync has worked fine for every other device in my system and it worked just fine for the X1 until recently.

Comcast has really messed something up with the surround stream on these X1 boxes.  It should not be that hard to pass an untouched/raw audio feed to the AVR like every other device I've ever owned does.

Regular Contributor

@mryflyguy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

You would be correct if the issue was all channels show sync issues with the same delay. However, as I explained pages ago in this thread, not all channels show sync issues, nor do the channels that do show sync issues show them all the time, or with the same delay. The problem is decidedly a Comcast issue, not an AV issue.

Regular Contributor

@MrScott1 wrote:

@mryflyguy wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

You would be correct if the issue was all channels show sync issues with the same delay. However, as I explained pages ago in this thread, not all channels show sync issues, nor do the channels that do show sync issues show them all the time, or with the same delay. The problem is decidedly a Comcast issue, not an AV issue.

Agreed - that is a good point that I forgot to mention in my post above.  The lip-sync issue is not consistent on every channel and it does seem worse at some times than others.  So adjusting the lip-sync settings in the AVR wouldn't work anyway since it's inconsistent.

Frequent Visitor

I have this issue with mtv channel occasionally, fix is to change channel and then go back to mtv. Another ridiculous issue with this x1. Have had system almost a year and still no solution to these audio issues.