Community Forum

X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Contributor

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

Eric - I'm still experiencing dropouts on my X1 with v2.4. And, yes, I rarely watch anything other than HD (live and recorded).

Scott
Expert

@Larmo1 wrote:

I don't believe it's an X! issue but rather an HD issue, here's why.  I was watching 'Shark tank' last night in HD and the audio dropouts were unbearable.  It was almost like I had the TV muted.  I switched to the SD channel and there were NONE.  I tried many others and the dropouts only were on the HD cannels but not on any of the SD channels.  Since I'm not using X1 that tells me that it's not X1 at all, it's HD.    Eric, you need to look at HD and not at X1 as the culprit.  A dime will get you a dollar says you'll find it rather quickly and stop pulling your hair out Smiley Happy  You'll be a hero once you do.  I'm pretty sure that most of us here will recommend that you get a well deserved raise.  Good luck and keep up the excellent work.

Remember, I don't even have X!.

Larry

for a quick test, next time it is happening, stream same channel using a pc/laptop or a smart apple/android device. If you were watching a recorded program, did you try playing back the same recording on the pc/desktop or the apple/android device?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Eric,

Have the same surround sound audio drops.  Older Sony Surround sound.  HDMI from box to TV - optical from TV to Sony.  I currently have a XiD-P box, but had the same issues with a X1 DVR box.  On version 2.8.0.  This is very frustrating since this is my main TV.  I am also a Comcast employee.  Any help would be appreciated.   

New Poster

Eric i'm experiencing this issue as well.

I just pmed you in the hopes that I can receive the test build that addresses this issue.

Thanks!

New Poster

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.  This issue only started happening to me a day or two ago.  But along with the random audio dropouts, the screen "skips" and pixelates as well during the hiccup.  Hopefully a fix is in the works?

Regular Contributor

@hcrawfo wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.  This issue only started happening to me a day or two ago.  But along with the random audio dropouts, the screen "skips" and pixelates as well during the hiccup.  Hopefully a fix is in the works?

That sounds like you might be having a different issue altogether.  I don't think any of us are experiencing pixelation or video issues, yet we've had audio dropouts for many months (brief sub-second drops when outputting surround sound signals).  You should probably get your signal levels checked if you are having video issues as well.

New Poster

The video part isn't as frequent as the audio drops thankfully.  My audio drops are anywhere from sub-second to 2 or 3 seconds.  When I don't have my AVR powered on and the audio passing through straight to the TV, I actually get popping sounds accompanying some of the audio drops.  Thankfully I have only had this happen in the past couple of days, and it seems to coincide with Xfinity guys doing some work in my area...

I have tried getting on the online chat but it "connects" for 15 minutes with no progress.  

Thanks for the reply and suggestion!!

Official Employee

Friends,

There's a lot happening here, so I'm going to go through, account by account, and see if we can narrow things down to see if your specific problem is part of our intermittent audio drop or if you're experincing something different (signal issues, RF issues, equipment issues).

For those that have been following for a while now and know the intermittent audio drop problems (no video issues, just quick 1 to 2 second audio dropouts), you should all now be on the FW with either 2.3 or 2.4 in it. To check your firmware on your box, please press the Xfinity button, scroll over to Settings (the gear wheel) and select. Then scroll down to About and select. You will then see a line for STB Version. This is where you will see the FW version and again, it should have a 2.3 or a 2.4 in it. Please get me this info and that's how we will start diagnosing your particular issues. There are currently FW updates going out nationwide that have audio fixes in it.

Many of you are experiencing positive results with the new FW, but some are not. I have to start correlating the information and get with our engineers to analyze and figure out why the fixes work in some cases and not in others. Again, this is where your FW comes in handy, as well as your cable box model and how things are wired.

Lastly, I apologize for not getting in touch with all of you sooner. I've been out of the office, in the field quite a bit lately and am a little bit behind keeping up with all of you. Please know that this audio issue is a HUGE priority for me and my team-mates and we will get to you soon.Excuses aside, I apologize. Having siad that, I will be in touch with all of you soon and we'll dig deep to find out what's going on in each of your situations.

As always, I cannot thank all of you enough for your help in this super annoying problem. We will get it resolved and we continue to get closer to a solution. I thank you all for your continued patience.

E.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Eric,

Please roll out that firmware update to me.  I can assure you my issue is ONLY this audio dropout bug.

I just signed up for a Triple Play premiere and am already regretting it if my box has this issue.

Thanks.

Already sent you a PM with the needed details.

Frequent Visitor

Techs replaced my box with green light to one with blue light. Works perfectly
New Poster

Had this issue since the first day I had my with X1.  Audio dropouts occur with X1 feeding my Denon AVR.  Routed HDMI directly to the TV months ago to avoid thie issue, which makes the overall experience less happy.  Just switched back to the preferred routing through receiver, and dropouts still happening.

My firmware is MX011AN_24p2s1_PROD_sey.

If there is a newer version that fixes the issue, I'd like to try it.

Thanks.

Contributor

I've been having this problem for 4-6 weeks and finally came here to see if there is a thread dealing with it. I am having increasing audio drops, usually of only a few seconds at a time, but occurring all the time now. It's becoming really annoying.

My STB version is 2.3p9s1.

Frequent Visitor

Eric

Still the same issues occur for me with the Audio drop. Running STB version PX001AN_2.4s4_VBN_HYBse
Contributor

I don't know if the rest of you are experiencing this, but I have found the dropouts are gettting more frequent in the last couple of weeks, especially on DVR'd and On Demand programs.  I have informed Comcast Eric and I hopy they are working on additionla builds because clearly the problem (at least for me) is not only not solved but getting worse.

Official Employee

Yes, we are aware and working on it (still). Seeing all kinds of things happening. I'll give some updates soon and to those I've been messaging with, I will continue to do so.

Thanks all. Your patience and help have been incredible.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I noticed a couple weeks ago that I received the Px001AN_2.47s3_PROD_HYBse update and thought it best to give it some time before commenting.  I can go several days without hearing a drop or maybe one drop in an entire day.  Then suddenly, I might wake up at 6:00 AM and be in audio dropout city (3-4 drops per hour).  Then I come home from work that evening and no problems. I can't even pin it down to a particular time, day or channel.  I've even had it happen on Sportman's last week and I wouldn't call that the most "HD" channel out there. 

But overall, most of the time, it's not too bad. 

Regular Visitor

I switched to X1 yesterday.  Only 1 dropout today (so far so good).

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same audio dropout issue with X1 STB: PC PX013ANM . I'm using a yamaha rx481 receiver with HDMI ran from the STB directly to TV and optical out  from TV to the audio receiver. It drops out for a second every 10-15 minutes on live TV, DVR recordings, and On demand. I can't duplicate the drop out by rewinding live tv. If theres a firmware revision for PC PX013ANM I'd be willing to try it. Let me know. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Yes, we are aware and working on it (still). Seeing all kinds of things happening. I'll give some updates soon and to those I've been messaging with, I will continue to do so.

Thanks all. Your patience and help have been incredible.

Thanks for the update Eric. I know you've been working hard on a fix and that you are also frustrated that it is taking so long, but what is being done to escalate this in order to expedite the timeline for this fix? It seems you need more help from more sources (audio engineers, equipment manufacturers, etc.). I think we can all agree that this issue has been going on for far too long now.

Regular Contributor

Time for me to "me too" this thread.

I've been experiencing A/V dropouts for maybe a month. Not sure exactly when; I started thinking this was simply the new Comcast Normal until I found this thread.

I decided to come here after reading this post on the AVS Forum, describing my symptoms exactly. Several times an hour, I get 2-3 second audio dropouts. Sometimes, but not always, I see a thin horizontal section of video sparkles roughly 1/2 second after the audio dropout ends.

STB Version is 2.4.0, timestamp is Tue July 26 17:35:40 2016. I'm in central Contra Costa County, California.

Gold Problem Solver

The video "sparkles" you mentioned suggest you are experiencing an entirely different problem. I you haven't replaced the box, you probably should.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@asmarks wrote:

I don't know if the rest of you are experiencing this, but I have found the dropouts are gettting more frequent in the last couple of weeks, especially on DVR'd and On Demand programs.  I have informed Comcast Eric and I hopy they are working on additionla builds because clearly the problem (at least for me) is not only not solved but getting worse.

I do notice it more with On demand content. 

Frequent Visitor

First time my X1 box lost audio was in May.  Now in the last month of july and august I'm rebooting 3 times a week.  I have a smart TV and can listen to amazon programming but not the comcast TV sound.  What should i do? I'd rather not pay service to come here with no results. Does Comcast have an answer or fix for this yet?

Gold Problem Solver

ps89

Your post is difficult to understand. What are saying is wrong? What does Amazon have to do with your x1 box? What is happening that is causing you to reboot?

If you are needing to rebooting your x1 box there could be something wrong with signal quality that should be looked at by a tech.

Frequent Visitor

Thank-you for response.. sorry to have been confusing. i brought up the 'amazon video app on TV' to explain that the NO  sound problem wasn't with the TV and so directly related to my X1 box.

When i turn my TV on to watch any comcast programming, a few times a week now, there will be no sound. I have to pull plug from back of box then put in to reboot.  Then for the rest of the time i have TV on, i have sound.

Up until this pass month, i've had very few issues at all. 

I will contact service when i can but i thought possibly there was a known factor related to my X1 box that was now resolved?

With this hi heat and humidity, i also wondered if this was an issue with outside lines? or within the  X1 box?

Thank-you

Gold Problem Solver

At first glance I would say you may have a bad x1 box however I would try a different HDMI cable and I would also try a different HDMI input on the TV.
Frequent Visitor

thank-you i will try this soon and get back.

thank-you

Official Employee

Hi All,

For the sake of keeping this thread unique to the Intermittent Audio Drops we've been fighting, please feel free to message me directly with non related items and I'll help with those and/or direct you to the right location.

Thanks to all for your continued patience as we dig deep to find what is continuing to cause these intermittent drops in audio. Also please keep me updated (via this thread) on any changes you're seeing. As an example, many of you have been seeing (hearing) the drops only with OnDemand content now. 

Thanks again and let me know.

Regular Visitor

This is the first thread I've come across that takes this problem seriously. I would love to get in on newer firmware versions that attempt to fix this issue. Here is my scenario,

I have 4 X1 boxes in my home. Three (3) of them are X1 HD boxes, which all perform fine. The problem box is the X1 DVR box in my family room, model Arris AX013ANM. I experience the exact audio drops described in this thread. The system is wired as follows:

Arris X1 to Yamaha RX-V671 receiver (via HDMI) to Samsung UN55C6900 (also via HDMI)

This has been occurring for 6+ months with no solution. I've had techs out twice to check line integrity, signal strengths, amp installation, etc. No resolution. The audio drops occur sporadically for about a split second, cutting off occasional whole words, making it very difficult to watch some programs. I've replaced every HDMI cable and updated both the TV and the audio receiver to the latest firmware.

My Native Version is 2.4.0

Full STB Version is: AX013AN_2.4p9s2_PROD_sey

Gold Problem Solver

Hopefully you picked from this thread that it is a known issue and it is being worked. Comcast Eric is on the team working on this so he would know.
Regular Contributor

ComcastEricG wrote: Also please keep me updated (via this thread) on any changes you're seeing. As an example, many of you have been seeing (hearing) the drops only with OnDemand content now. 

For the record, I am getting the dropouts on live & recorded TV. The dropouts are recorded on the DVR; I can skip back and the dropout recurs, no matter which TV/cable box combination I am using.

Regular Contributor

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

ComcastEricG wrote: Also please keep me updated (via this thread) on any changes you're seeing. As an example, many of you have been seeing (hearing) the drops only with OnDemand content now. 

For the record, I am getting the dropouts on live & recorded TV. The dropouts are recorded on the DVR; I can skip back and the dropout recurs, no matter which TV/cable box combination I am using.

Given the fact that you are also experiencing video sparkles and that your audio dropouts are 2-3 seconds long, AND they are recreatable by rewinding/replaying, I think you are having another issue altogether (i.e. signal issues) like RickGr4 suggested previously.

Most of us that are experiencing the audio dropouts are experiencing VERY quick dropouts (sub-second audio blips/hiccups) with no video issues and most of the time they cannot be recreated upon rewinding/replaying.  Your issue definitely sounds like something else is potentially going on.

Regular Contributor

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Given the fact that you are also experiencing video sparkles and that your audio dropouts are 2-3 seconds long, AND they are recreatable by rewinding/replaying, I think you are having another issue altogether (i.e. signal issues) like RickGr4 suggested previously.

Most of us that are experiencing the audio dropouts are experiencing VERY quick dropouts (sub-second audio blips/hiccups) with no video issues and most of the time they cannot be recreated upon rewinding/replaying.  Your issue definitely sounds like something else is potentially going on.

Understood. I didn't realize your dropouts were so brief. I'm totally willing to believe the issue is coming from upstream of me.

In any case, I'm PMing with ComcastEricG, so my reason for dropping in on this thread has been achieved.

Regular Contributor

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

@jkozlow3 wrote:

Understood. I didn't realize your dropouts were so brief. I'm totally willing to believe the issue is coming from upstream of me.

In any case, I'm PMing with ComcastEricG, so my reason for dropping in on this thread has been achieved.

Good deal.  Just wanted to make sure you were aware that your issue sounds a little different than what most here seem to be experiencing (myself included). But who knows!

Contributor

Noob here, but count me in. Just got my X1 system about 10 days ago. I'm running an Arris model X1 DVR with firmware 2.4. I'm connecting via the Comcast-supplied HDMI cable out on the DVR to my new Sony STRDH550 receiver's SAT/CATV HDMI in. The connection then continues from the Sony's HDMI out to my LG TV HDMI (ARC) in.

Everything is working flawlessly except the intermittent audio dropouts. If I rewind a live program and replay the same scene, the audio doesn't drop out. However, I noticed that sometimes if I record on the DVR and experience an audio dropout it's locked it. Rewinding a recording will sometimes play the same dropout at the same moment.

No audio dropouts yet when playing anything from my smart LG's web apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.). I haven't fully tested my DVD player yet.

Frequent Visitor

I guess I'm trying to get to Eric from Comcast since I am late to this discussion.
I have the Motorola RNG200N DVR with three Motorola RNG150N associated boxes. I too have the one to two second occasional audio dropout (generally not more than one per hour or two) on HD channels. I'm pretty sure this only started about early July of this year.
Not ready to move to X1 (only recently switched to the dual band gateway from the old docsis 2 modem.
Is there anything I can do short of going to X1 (which apparently has it's own problems)?
Frequent Visitor

Me again. I should've mentioned that the 1 to 2 second occasional (approx one per one to two hours in general) HD channels audio dropout happens on all four boxes (one RNG200N and three RNG150N). In all cases, only running good HDMI cables directly from Comcast boxes to TVs (no sound system in the line).
Silver Problem Solver

@dpjz wrote:
Me again. I should've mentioned that the 1 to 2 second occasional (approx one per one to two hours in general) HD channels audio dropout happens on all four boxes (one RNG200N and three RNG150N). In all cases, only running good HDMI cables directly from Comcast boxes to TVs (no sound system in the line).

Are you aware this is the X1 forum?  You might try a different one.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Friends,

I have sent firmware to many of you over the months and have had many different outcomes. Any new information you can add to this thread will be most helpful. The most recent and frequent summation seems to be that the latest patches have helped in both the frequency and severity of the drops, but they are still there. And mostly in OnDemand content or recorded content . . .not as much in live TV.

Regardless, can all of you check your Firmware? I believe that I have opened up all of you cable boxes (if you were testing stuff for us) and you should all be running the latest firmware versions. You can check by pressing your Xfinity button, scrolling down to About and looking for the eSTB Version. Or, just use your voice command and say, "About."  If any of you see the letters VBN in the firmware version, please let me know asap. If not, you're running the latest versions.

Also, if you are using Legacy products (not X1) and experiencing these drops, please message me directly.

Lastly, I'll be offlinie for a few days and resume posting and messaging on 8/24.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued help and patience. It is most appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

STB PX001AN_2.4p9s2_PROD_HYBse
Has been recently pushed to my box and the problem is happening more than before

DVR, live TV and on demand
Contributor

@ComcastEricG wrote:

Friends,

I have sent firmware to many of you over the months and have had many different outcomes. Any new information you can add to this thread will be most helpful. The most recent and frequent summation seems to be that the latest patches have helped in both the frequency and severity of the drops, but they are still there. And mostly in OnDemand content or recorded content . . .not as much in live TV.

Regardless, can all of you check your Firmware? I believe that I have opened up all of you cable boxes (if you were testing stuff for us) and you should all be running the latest firmware versions. You can check by pressing your Xfinity button, scrolling down to About and looking for the eSTB Version. Or, just use your voice command and say, "About."  If any of you see the letters VBN in the firmware version, please let me know asap. If not, you're running the latest versions.

Also, if you are using Legacy products (not X1) and experiencing these drops, please message me directly.

Lastly, I'll be offlinie for a few days and resume posting and messaging on 8/24.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued help and patience. It is most appreciated.

I'm still having very frequent audio drops--I'd estimate 5-10 an hour on both live and DVR recorded programs. I don't watch a great deal of On Demand programs, but have noticed it happens there also. I've been streaming the Comcast live broadcasts of some of the Olympics events and the drops occur at about the same rate there. My STB version is PX001AN_2.4p10s2_PROD_HYBse. If anything, the issue has worsened rather than improved over the last 3-4 weeks.

Frequent Visitor

I just came across this thread..

I have had Xfinity X1 for about 4 months now and it has never worked right for more than 1 or 2 days at a time. I have had about 20 technician visits over the past 4 months for multiple issues including the audio dropouts which initially were only on 1 TV, and only on a few channels.

Then a few weeks ago, I started having some on demand issues and really bad pixellation on both TV's. Then after 3 different technicians had come out I was still having the same issue, but it was getting worse and then another technician came out and narrowed it down to a a line amp down the road that was bad, and replaced it.  Then they found some other hardware in the neighborhood that also needed to be replaced.

Since the 1st line amp was replaced, the audio dropping issue is back in spades. In the bedroom its really bad on just about every channel dropping out at least a dozen times an hour, which makes watching TV and listening to music channels on this box nearly impossible. In the living room, where I never had any audio dropout issues before, I am now get dropouts, just not as bad and not on every channel.

In trying to isolate the problems that I was having, they had replaced my boxes several times and now I have 2 SAMSUNG SX022ANM boxes, one in each room.

I am at my wits end with this, and if I wasn't on a 2 year contract i woould be dropping the service.

if there is a new firmware build that you can push to my boxes I would love to get that done.  Please let me know what you need from me to get things rolling.

Gold Problem Solver

kevin,

I am sure the "audio dropout issue" impacts different people differently but I do not hear the dropouts nearly as often as you claim that you are hearing them. I can go a day or two without hearing one and I generally only hear them when watching On Demand.

Unfortunately I think you have a different problem going on and I fear you are not done troubleshooting signal issues.

Do you have an RF signal amp in your house and if so, which amp? X1 requires a very specific type of amp.

@kevin-b wrote:

I have had Xfinity X1 for about 4 months now and it has never worked right for more than 1 or 2 days at a time. I have had about 20 technician visits over the past 4 months for multiple issues including the audio dropouts which initially were only on 1 TV, and only on a few channels.

Then a few weeks ago, I started having some on demand issues and really bad pixellation on both TV's. Then after 3 different technicians had come out I was still having the same issue, but it was getting worse and then another technician came out and narrowed it down to a a line amp down the road that was bad, and replaced it.  Then they found some other hardware in the neighborhood that also needed to be replaced.

Since the 1st line amp was replaced, the audio dropping issue is back in spades. In the bedroom its really bad on just about every channel dropping out at least a dozen times an hour, which makes watching TV and listening to music channels on this box nearly impossible. In the living room, where I never had any audio dropout issues before, I am now get dropouts, just not as bad and not on every channel.

In trying to isolate the problems that I was having, they had replaced my boxes several times and now I have 2 SAMSUNG SX022ANM boxes, one in each room.

I am at my wits end with this, and if I wasn't on a 2 year contract i woould be dropping the service.

if there is a new firmware build that you can push to my boxes I would love to get that done.  Please let me know what you need from me to get things rolling.

Frequent Visitor

I also think that there may be other issues that are on the local network that they havent fixed yet.

I do not have any amps in the house.  We have a box outside that Comcast instaled with a splitter in it, and then only 2 runs of cable  One to the Living room outlet and one to the bedroom.  The livingroom has another splitter on it that splits the signal between the X1 box and a Motorola modem. 

Regular Visitor

All,

I have been having the same audio drops... read on another forum http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/audio-cuts-out-for-1-2-seconds/m-p/907571#M24803. They claim this was the fix... read quote below

"It has been 48 hours since Comcast crew adjusted nodes, amplifiers  etc. in the street.

So far my sound has been flawless, no drop- outs or missed words.  I will wait another week and watch more 

channels just to be sure the problem has really disappeared for good.

So my advice to anyone experiencing the symtom of the sound cutting out for 1-3 seconds, call Comcast 

have them come out and check/adjust the nodes and amplifiers in the cable  boxes OUTSIDE your home

and even farther down to the next junction or two

this is where the issue is apparently.  Unless my problem comes back, this will be my last posting on this

issue.  good luck to you all......."

Contributor

I think that thread concerns the standard DVR not X1. The comment about changing the HDMI Audio format from "Auto" to "PCM-low" or something like that got me thinking. I checked the X1 Device settings and there is no such setting for HDMI. However, I have the X1 connected directly to my Samsung JS6500 and it does have a HDMI Audio setting. For the Samsung, the HDMI Audio protocol settings are "Bitstream" and "PCM" and the default is Bitstream. I updated the setting to PCM and will report back as to its affect on these audio dropouts.

As mentioned above, I can confirm, any dropouts encountered during a X1 recording session ARE present during playback and are reproducible (by a rewind) but dropouts occurring live broadcasts are not reproducible. I'm not sure how changing the TVs HDMI audio format could resolve this but maybe it is about the equipment playback. I'm about ready to go back to DirecTV unless I can get this resolved.
Contributor

Well, no joy on changing the tv HDMI protocol to PCM. Dropouts remain. Guess I'll try having the nodes adjusted as suggested. 

Contributor

@kevin-b wrote:

If you have Comcast out a few times and they can not resolve the audio dropouts, you will not be held to your 2 year agreement. It's called "breach of contract." Comcast is unable to provide the service it agreed to provide. Many of us that have contributed to this thread have hung in there because we hope it will be fixed. Others have left because it's been going on for 2+ years. 

Frequent Visitor

I have had PX001AN_2.4p11s5_PROD pushed to my box and the issue is still ten times worse than months ago
Contributor

I have exactly the same version and a deteriorating experience also. Last night while watching the US Tennis Open on ESPN HD live, the sound would constantly drop, sometimes for 20-30 seconds at a time. This is the first time I've ever had drops of that duration. They have usually been under 5-10 seconds. It's extremely disruptive as you lose the entire context of the commentary or conversation. It seems really odd that this not only can't be fixed, but is now becoming much worse with each passing version.

@psully10 wrote:
I have had PX001AN_2.4p11s5_PROD pushed to my box and the issue is still ten times worse than months ago