Community Forum

Wireless Cable Box

New Poster

Wireless Cable Box

I just had my cable installed, my upstairs room cable jack was unusable so the technician gave me a wireless box. It was late evening so I agreed to set it up myself and tried the following day. Upon initial setup it has connectivity issues. I read online that it has to be used with a comcast modem. I am using my own router/modem combination. Talking to online support they assured me that I can use my current setup but it needs to be done by a Comcast Tech. Just want a second opinion before i waste another day waiting for someone to come out and tell me it cannot be done. So can my setup be used with this box? I don't want to pay extra for something i cannot use and I don't want to waste my own and another tech's time for something that isn't feasible.

Official Employee

Re: Wireless Cable Box

It “may” work if your modem has moca capability and you are able to plug the Xi5 directly into the modem but I’ve never tried it nor do I know anyone who has tried.
Other than that it needs an XB3 or XB6 for sure to work wirelessly.
Expert

Re: Wireless Cable Box

I tried to connect to the X1 mesh but the devices have a password protection and without the password you can't join the x1 mesh.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).