Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Wireless Box Xi5-P Technical Questions

Frequent Visitor

Wireless Box Xi5-P Technical Questions

I recently got an Xi5-P Wireless cable box installed (using WiFi) and it's been working great.  I'm looking into using my own router (setting the Xfinity gateway into bridge mode), but it looks like that would completely disable my Xi5-P cable box since it relies on the MoCA connection between my primary cable box and my gateway.  I believe that putting my gateway into bridge mode will disable MoCA operation. I verified that my Xi5-P cable box will work when wired directly to my gateway over Ethernet (with WiFi disabled)... but I'd really like to use my own router on my network (with the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode). My primary television cable box has an Ethernet port... but it doesn't seem to do much.  Is there any way I can connect my primary cable box to the Xi5 over Ethernet (bypassing the Gateway)?

Another simpler question: How do I turn the Xi5-P cable box off?? There's no power button and the power button on the remote doesn't seem to work.  Actually I haven't tried the new remote it came with, maybe the old remote power button won't work?  I can see the light on and I know that uses bandwidth on the WiFi while we're not watching TV (and it takes 4 hours to auto-power-off).

If anyone has any ideas or has experimented with the Xi5-P cable box with their Xfinity gateway in bridge mode, please let me know what you're doing. I don't want to switch back to a cable box that uses Coax because the Xi5-P is working much better than the last 2 coaxial cable boxes I have had (technician believed that the line to this bedroom was likely damaged somehow and would be $$$ to replace).

Official Employee

Re: Wireless Box Xi5-P Technical Questions

You can hardwire it through your personal router(watch out for firewalls) or a switch, bridge mode turns off WiFi not moca.

Change your power saving mode to 1 hour. The boxes are meant to stay on
Expert

@mroselli wrote:

I recently got an Xi5-P Wireless cable box installed (using WiFi) and it's been working great.  I'm looking into using my own router (setting the Xfinity gateway into bridge mode), but it looks like that would completely disable my Xi5-P cable box since it relies on the MoCA connection between my primary cable box and my gateway.  I believe that putting my gateway into bridge mode will disable MoCA operation. I verified that my Xi5-P cable box will work when wired directly to my gateway over Ethernet (with WiFi disabled)... but I'd really like to use my own router on my network (with the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode). My primary television cable box has an Ethernet port... but it doesn't seem to do much.  Is there any way I can connect my primary cable box to the Xi5 over Ethernet (bypassing the Gateway)?

Another simpler question: How do I turn the Xi5-P cable box off?? There's no power button and the power button on the remote doesn't seem to work.  Actually I haven't tried the new remote it came with, maybe the old remote power button won't work?  I can see the light on and I know that uses bandwidth on the WiFi while we're not watching TV (and it takes 4 hours to auto-power-off).

If anyone has any ideas or has experimented with the Xi5-P cable box with their Xfinity gateway in bridge mode, please let me know what you're doing. I don't want to switch back to a cable box that uses Coax because the Xi5-P is working much better than the last 2 coaxial cable boxes I have had (technician believed that the line to this bedroom was likely damaged somehow and would be $$$ to replace).

I have three X1 DVR's and two XG2's.  Power saving isn't an issue for me:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-top-box-energy-usage

Frequent Visitor

Is there known firewall rules, ports, exceptions, etc. to make sure are open in that configuration? Hopefully if i put the xi5 box on the same LAN there is no firewall between the MoCA connection and the Xi5 box... I will post back with my results.
Official Employee

I was referring to settings on your personal router.
Frequent Visitor

It appears that enabling bridge mode does in fact disable MoCA:

wL6VQem

Expert

@mroselli wrote:

It appears that enabling bridge mode does in fact disable MoCA:

wL6VQem

a previous guest said to put special gateway in bridge mode, (turns off wifi) and connect to your router. Customer said he then had to press the 'wifi' button on the Xi5 to start looking for a wifi signal. the customer did not give details of what appeared on the screen etc so we don't have steps for that part yet.

Official Employee

Rusty, read OP’s original post, it’s going to be hardwired
Official Employee

Mroselli, You will probably have to call in and have them set up the moca properly
Frequent Visitor

I'm not a Comcast person or expert, but as a network/computer person, the firewall shouldn't be any issue unless you have a firewall in between your connections between your router and your wireless gateway. Most people just have a firewall on the "edge" just for internet traffic in and out .. or "north and south" as many like to call it ... but would not have a firewall in between their own home networks or "east to west" as it would be referred to.