Community Forum

Wireless 4K box using 92% of my 1028G

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Wireless 4K box using 92% of my 1028G

Trying to get this fixed with Comcast is IMPOSSIBLE.  My wireless 4K X1 box is using around 900G a month of my data plan.  This is just for tv.  I don't use it for any streaming products.  Customer service continues to say that this is correct and the way it should be working.  I DIDN'T ASK FOR A WIRELESS BOX!!!  Since I have 2 4K boxes one HAS to be wireless.   I know based on other posts that this isn't the way it should work but every time I call SC off shore they tell me that they can't see my usage and can't fix the issue.  Also cannot transfer me to someone that could see it or fix it.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Wireless 4K box using 92% of my 1028G

@fiji4118 wrote:

Trying to get this fixed with Comcast is IMPOSSIBLE.  My wireless 4K X1 box is using around 900G a month of my data plan.  This is just for tv.  I don't use it for any streaming products.  Customer service continues to say that this is correct and the way it should be working.  I DIDN'T ASK FOR A WIRELESS BOX!!!  Since I have 2 4K boxes one HAS to be wireless.   I know based on other posts that this isn't the way it should work but every time I call SC off shore they tell me that they can't see my usage and can't fix the issue.  Also cannot transfer me to someone that could see it or fix it.

wireless set top boxes do use 'inside home' data as it communicates with and xg1 or xg2 via your MoCA enabled gateway, however this traffic does not cond since it is not outside of the Comcast servers (not open internet). your Gateway/modem does handle/see the traffic but the CMTS that the gateway connects to does not count the traffic. Exception for this is same for coax connected devices in that use of 'internet' apps does cound as you are accessing servers outside of comcast. you get the same 'internal data bytes' traffic for streaming live TV on your in-home smart phones/tablets and desk/laptops. the bytes don't count in your CAP if they are from Comcast servers. All use of TVgo channels for example is from internet connected servers and count to your home CAP is your home internet is used to connect.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You'd think that is true wouldn't you?  But it isn't.  My wireless Arris 4K box is using my 1028G data plan to watch tv.  I just checked the usage.  So far this month (4 days) the set top box has used 100G of my data plan.  I sure would love to have a Comcast employee chime in and assist but I think I will just return the boxes and cancel my service as I have no intention of paying for the usage on top of the package and box rental due to a limitation of their deployed gear.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Hi, fiji4118! Welcome to the Xfinity Forum. Our expert RustyBen is absolutely correct, the wireless boxes don't count towards your data usage. The wireless box acts as a wired box when utilizing standard TV Box features, such as Live Broadcast, Video on Demand, Pay Per View and Guide. However, if you use Netflix, YouTube, AmazonPrime, Pandora apps - it does count towards your data. I also not sure why you were told that you have to have a wireless box. If you want to have a companion box that supports 4K quality - yes, we only have one model (Xi6) and it is a wireless box. But if you want to have a standard HD companion box - you can get a wired one (Xi3 or XiD). 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@CCElla  this may be how it is "supposed" to work but I can assure you that if you were to look at my account you would see that it is in fact being counted against my data usage.  As of today, 6/5 I have already used 148G of data.  And 90% of that is my Living room wifi set top box.  Since I don't stream any services on that box how is it using 133G of my data plan over the last 5 days to watch tv?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@fiji4118 - I'm happy to check your account and check your box. Please send me a private message and include your first and last name. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message. Thank you!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@CCElla  message sent

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@fiji4118 - Thank you, I got your message. My apologies for the delated reply, I'm off on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays. 

Admin1

Hi fiji4118 -- Thank you for working with us via Private Message. I am happy to hear that we were able to get you in contact with our Security Assurance team who was able to help provide tips for how to monitor data usage and recommendations for how to root out the device using the data. Please reach back out to us if anything else comes up and we'll assist. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!