Community Forum

Will the Xi6 box work over ethernet?

Frequent Visitor

Will the Xi6 box work over ethernet?

Just wondering before I consider an upgrade as I am using my own wireless router with the xfinity rented modom in bridge mode and I don’t want to have to use the built in Xfinity WiFi router.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Will the Xi6 box work over ethernet with separate WiFi router?

5C5F276C-FDFE-4EB4-A37D-2D674D5FDDD3.jpegNetwork diagram

Would it work like this?

Silver Problem Solver

@Eye0239 wrote:

5C5F276C-FDFE-4EB4-A37D-2D674D5FDDD3.jpegNetwork diagram

Would it work like this?

Some background:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I am curious also about this exact same set-up.  Will the Xi6 box work with a bridge-mode Xfinity Gateway and an ethernet connection from a customer-supplied router?  What is the definative answer?

Expert

@jnlilley wrote:

I am curious also about this exact same set-up.  Will the Xi6 box work with a bridge-mode Xfinity Gateway and an ethernet connection from a customer-supplied router?  What is the definative answer?

a previous customer said it did in fact work. Comcast has made no such statement so far. let us know if you do it and if it worked.  be sure to check the specs on that splitter. should go to at least 1002 Mhz.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Sorry but the article you linked doesn’t mention anything about having the Wireless Gateway in Bridge mode.

Edit: I didn’t read it close enough. I guess it won’t work

Frequent Visitor

After reading the article, it states “No, the Wireless TV Box can only be used with your Xfinity Wireless Gateway with bridge mode disabled. The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.”  

New Poster

Re: Will the Xi6 box work over ethernet?

I have a similar setup. But I have Xi5 box...

I installed one of these on my network and now my Xi5 works great over Ethernet with my Xfinity router in bridge mode.

Your main cable box puts out the MoCA signal over coax...then this box takes that from coax and puts it on your Ethernet network....

I can't speak to the Xi6 but I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way.

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Official Employee

Re: Will the Xi6 box work over ethernet?

Eye0239, the xi6 biggest selling point is its wirelessness--but there is an ethernet port on the back for hardline connectivity. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!