Community Forum

Why use XG1V4

Regular Contributor

Why use XG1V4

I have an XG1V3 connected to a Samsung UHD (4k) TV.  The TV does a very good job of upconverting HD to UHD.  Other than Netflix and other streaming services, there is no commercially available UHD to view.  Even with these services, there is not much UHD available.

Does the XG1V4 do that much better at upconverting HD to UHD than the TV?

Am I missing the big picture somehow?

Expert

Re: Why use XG1V4

@ThomT wrote:

I have an XG1V3 connected to a Samsung UHD (4k) TV.  The TV does a very good job of upconverting HD to UHD.  Other than Netflix and other streaming services, there is no commercially available UHD to view.  Even with these services, there is not much UHD available.

basically it is the same price as what you have and it is 'made' for your TV (4k/UHD) it is your choice. I usually upgrade before new season starts so stored programs are at a minium. all your series settings are in the cloud so you won't lose the priority list/settings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@ThomT wrote:

In addition to what RustyBen said, I replaced my bedroom DVR with the XG1v4 for the bluetooth headphone support.  My wife stays up late while I sleep.  (Thank you, wife)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

The box makes no difference, don't waste your time.  I had picture quality issues with the older box, upgraded to the XG1-V4-A, and it make no difference whatsoever.  The over compression that Xfinity is using makes 4K TV's worthless.

Expert

@JoeyP523 wrote:

The box makes no difference, don't waste your time.  I had picture quality issues with the older box, upgraded to the XG1-V4-A, and it make no difference whatsoever.  The over compression that Xfinity is using makes 4K TV's worthless.

For now using apps found on your UHD television is the best option for 2160p, 1440p, and 1080p. You Tube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, are all good. Using the NBC app will get you 1080p (Blu-Ray quality) for most of their programing (not live). It works like On Demand on cable but better picture than 720p or 1080i. The app is also free.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Evidently the Xi6 cable-box is a stand alone 4K box. It is hitting some service areas. Needs to be tech. installed. I'll have to see if this might work for me using DSL Internet instead of Comcast.

Diamond Problem Solver

Mntundraret, not sure where you got the idea that the Xi6 is a stand-alone box. It’s wireless like the Xi5, dependent on an XG device

Here’s a link for brushing up on X1 products and specs, if you need it
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:
Mntundraret, not sure where you got the idea that the Xi6 is a stand-alone box. It’s wireless like the Xi5, dependent on an XG device

Here’s a link for brushing up on X1 products and specs, if you need it
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Since it is listed has "Non-DVR" I made the wrong assumption. I should have better access in a few days for newer specs. Thank you for the reply. Since I am on DSL this most likely leaves me on my current options.

Regular Contributor

XG1v4 Status Indicators

Hello.  It's been a while since I was on this forum, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I recently got an XG1v4-A to replace a failing XG1v3.  It works fine, but I miss the status indicators and clock on the front panel.  I am alone in this or have others complained to Comcast about the lack of front panel data?

Expert

Re: XG1v4 Status Indicators

@ThomT wrote:

Hello.  It's been a while since I was on this forum, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I recently got an XG1v4-A to replace a failing XG1v3.  It works fine, but I miss the status indicators and clock on the front panel.  I am alone in this or have others complained to Comcast about the lack of front panel data?

the simple interface is designed to be small and work while hidden. there is no plan to add back a 'clock' but press the left button and see the time anytime.