Community Forum

Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

New Poster

Re: Yellow light

I have had the same problem for the last few weeks I’ve tried everything nothing works I have the same receiver that’s pictured
New Poster

Re: Why has the amber LED on my X1 DVR been on recently while watching TV?

I have the same problem with the amber light by data on contantly.  They rebooted but nothing happened.

Diamond Problem Solver

Did either read the post directly above yours that is the answer, that it’s a known issue. Don’t worry about it.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Going to the device light area and setting to off thrn reseting to 1 Worked! Thanks

New Poster

Update to my prior post. Turning the clock light off will eliminate the amber light, BUT it returns when  box is turned on the next day.

Frequent Visitor

Yup.
New Poster

Re: yellow light on cable box will not go out, no messages

Same with me. Goes away with reboot. On again in AM
Highlighted
New Poster

This Data light has also been on my box for a couple weeks and now, at this very moment, I can’t get the box to turn on. I know I can probably unplug and wait a few, then plug it back in but I have programs recording now and I don’t want them interrupted. If this is an issue with older model boxes why won’t you send out new boxes? Especially to long time loyal customers who pay each and every month, only to have issues almost each and every month?

And as for your solutions to the light:
“ A few things below:

- As we use RF Pairing for our X1 boxes and remote controls, the box needn’t be visible at all; the XG1 can be completely hidden from view.

- Setting the Device Lights setting to zero or off will turn the light off.

- Some customers have also reported that they got the light to stay off after turning off Power Saver feature”

Putting the box in a cabinet or, say, behind a book so we can’t see the light would be like your check engine light coming on and your putting a piece of tape over it to hide the fact there is something wrong. Turning the device lights to zero is another quick fix we shouldn’t have to do. Also, the option to turn off power saver to get the light to stay off... are you serious?! So let’s leave this box that already uses more electricity than most modern appliances, modems, and other streaming devices use, on 24/7 all the while it sits here on our shelves getting hot and constantly making a humming sound and this is the solution? Come on!
Official Employee

@mburke2x wrote:
This Data light has also been on my box for a couple weeks and now, at this very moment, I can’t get the box to turn on. I know I can probably unplug and wait a few, then plug it back in but I have programs recording now and I don’t want them interrupted. If this is an issue with older model boxes why won’t you send out new boxes? Especially to long time loyal customers who pay each and every month, only to have issues almost each and every month?

And as for your solutions to the light:
“ A few things below:

- As we use RF Pairing for our X1 boxes and remote controls, the box needn’t be visible at all; the XG1 can be completely hidden from view.

- Some customers have also reported that they got the light to stay off after turning off Power Saver feature”

Putting the box in a cabinet or, say, behind a book so we can’t see the light would be like your check engine light coming on and your putting a piece of tape over it to hide the fact there is something wrong. Turning the device lights to zero is another quick fix we shouldn’t have to do. Also, the option to turn off power saver to get the light to stay off... are you serious?! So let’s leave this box that already uses more electricity than most modern appliances, modems, and other streaming devices use, on 24/7 all the while it sits here on our shelves getting hot and constantly making a humming sound and this is the solution? Come on!

Apologies. We can certainly arrange to get you a newer replacement X1 box that doesn't have this light .

Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST or stop by any of our retail stores to swap out the box.  Closest one to you listed below 

338 S Main Street
Marion, VA 24354
HOURS Mon - Fri: 10:00am - 6:00pm

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

This worked for me! Thanks! (10/9/19)
New Poster

Turning Device lights settings to 1 worked, Light is gone. Thank you!
New Poster

Mine has done the same thing. No messages. No notifications. Nothing. Just a dang annoying orange light.
New Poster

Me too.
Official Employee

@EliseR wrote:
Mine has done the same thing. No messages. No notifications. Nothing. Just a dang annoying orange light.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that was described above.

Our teams are aware of this occurring on certain older models and versions of the X1 boxes. The teams are still reviewing the root cause.

A few things below:

- As we use RF Pairing for ourX1 boxes and remote controls, the box needn’t be visible at all; theXG1 can be completely hidden from view.

- Some customers have also reported that they got the light to stay off after turning off Power Saver feature.

- Another option would be to swap your X1 box for a more recent model where this is not an issue.  You can do that at any of our retail locations or contact us via chat or phone and we can get a replacement box shipped out to you.

Retail store locations and hours: https:/wwwwxfinityy.com/local/

Chat:  https:/wwwwxfinityy.com/support/contact-us 

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for this issue.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you. That worked!
Regular Visitor

amber light stays on and can not shut off.  How do I shut off?

New Poster

That did it.

Official Employee

@gvbmarch wrote:

amber light stays on and can not shut off.  How do I shut off?

Check the post above on this page marked "Best Answer" . 

New Poster

Seriously.... move the box.... take the box somewhere.... hide the box... put tape over the light... really?.. for the $285 a month I’m paying seems to me you should take care of it for free I shouldn’t have to ....

Diamond Problem Solver

You could also upgrade your older box to a newer version that doesn’t have the light at all

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Upgrade, why would I upgrade,  I would upgrade if it was for free ... COMCASTS  equipment has a problem ....why do I have to deal with it ?

Comcast should take care of it .

Their  Equipment failed...  I pay my bill every month never ever have been late.... highly recommend Comcast to all my friends I’m done with that.... unless somebody takes care of this issue and it doesn’t cost me a service call or a charge of any kind ....

most of my friends and  acquaintances in my neighborhood association switched to Comcast on my recommendation... 

I am SOOOOO disappointed......

Official Employee

@JoyceGalena wrote:

Upgrade, why would I upgrade,  I would upgrade if it was for free ... COMCASTS  equipment has a problem ....why do I have to deal with it ?

Comcast should take care of it .

Their  Equipment failed...  I pay my bill every month never ever have been late.... highly recommend Comcast to all my friends I’m done with that.... unless somebody takes care of this issue and it doesn’t cost me a service call or a charge of any kind ....

most of my friends and  acquaintances in my neighborhood association switched to Comcast on my recommendation... 

I am SOOOOO disappointed......

Apologies, we provided a few options above while the team tracks this down. 

There is no cost to replace your box for another at any of our retail locations, or we can ship you a replacement box and waive the shipping charges, just let us know what you would like to do so we can make this right for you.  Thanks for your patience.    

New Poster

Ok ... thank you for listening to my rant.... I will consider....👍🏼

Frequent Visitor

Found this on another post and it worked: Push xfinity on the remote; slide over and push the gear icon; Device Setting; Device Lights; Power Light Brightness; use left arrow key to turn off, then right key back to the previous level. This turned the yellow light off and the next day it was still off. Didn't need to upgrade.
New Poster

Tried both options to get amber light to go out, neither worked for more than a day.

Power Options > Power Saver Off - light returned next day

Turn lights and clock to off or 0 then back on - light returned next day

Short of returning the box for a box that doesn't have the light or a clock (which we use everyday) there is nothing we tried that has worked.

Any other ideas?

New Poster

Im having the same issue. Is returning the box for a new one the best solution?

New Poster

Im going to try the light level switch idea and get back to everyone

@Kaikoura wrote:

New Poster

Cable light is on and no new messages. The dvr box not the standard box.
Silver Problem Solver

@Pmorrsn wrote:
Cable light is on and no new messages. The dvr box not the standard box.

Which one?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@Pmorrsn
Click on best answer at the start of this thread

New Poster

@CCAndrew
Many of the solutions are to hide the light behind something. Last week the light was not on and now it is. The box works fine, so it's new with nothing knowingly changed. It's just an observation, may not be a problem, maybe just a box software update feature.
New Poster

Well the light switch solution didnt work. The status light came back on this morning..

Ill probably go get a new box..Does Comcast even look at these messages..?

Probably not. Im sure all they would have to do is push a button.

@Kaikoura wrote:

Im going to try the light level switch idea and get back to everyone

@Kaikoura wrote:

Have a great weekend

New Poster

It’s a Data light on the Samsung model. I believe it has to do with a connection to the router. This is new I’ve only noticed recently. Also speed was increased might have something to do with it.
Diamond Problem Solver

@FairShake
The X1 equipment with a data light has nothing to do with internet equipment.

Frequent Visitor

I did the opposite.  I turned on Power Saving, and the light went off.  I don't know if it's going to go on again in the morning.  We'll see.

Regular Visitor

Ever since Comcast has been doing work in my area, i.e., cable work of some sort. The Amber LED has been on my TV Box. Does this have something to do with the cable work being done outside?

Frequent Visitor

Aaannnnndddd it’s back on this morning.
New Poster

This worked for me, too. Changing the brightness of Power LED fixed it. Thank you.
New Poster

THIS WORKS but it comes back next day.
Settings>device settings>device lights>Here I changed the power lights to lower, and the orange light is off. Comes back though.
New Poster

That worked for me!
New Poster

Sadly, it returned for me, but after modifying brightness, it goes away. I am sure it will come back again, but at least now I know how to get rid of it at least temporarily
New Poster

Yes mine returned as well. It’s annoying.
New Poster

This is not a permanent fix but if you are tired of looking at that amber light go to settings, device settings, device lights, power light brightness and select you don't have to change anything just exit and the lights go out until the next update if they would just add that sequence to their coding we wouldn't have to do that manually

New Poster

Funny you mention the cable work being done because that’s when mine started also when they were working down the street ...😳
New Poster

The data light on my box was red but thanks to your suggestion about changing the brightness back to zero and then reset to level one did the trick for now. That light has been annoying me for two weeks! Thank you so much for your helpful post.

New Poster

It means you bill is due
New Poster

Recycled power light brightness. Amber light went off!
New Poster

Thank you for the suggestion to reset the Device Lights.  I set the clock and the Power button to the lowest level and the amber Data light finally went off.  I am hoping this does the trick for good, because unplugging the box and restarting helped only temporarily.  

Regular Visitor

My take on this Data light issue?  I have my X1 box set to take it's daily update between midnight and 1am.  I believe my X1 box isn't taking the update which throws the Data light on.  The reason I think this is because my X1 seems to work ok with the Data light on (so I was ignoring the data light) but after a few days, the menus start acting goofy, slowing down.  The Fast Forward starts to get a few second delay and everything seems to lag.  So, I reboot the box.  The Data light goes out and the X1 box works perfectly again.  Until the power saver kicks in and you turn on the box, back comes the data light.  Bottom line?  I think Comcast sends down an update and my box (and others) don't answer the call tripping the Data light.  After a few days of ignoring the issue, the X1 box starts acting weird requiring a forced reboot.  

Official Employee

@Emtronics wrote:

My take on this Data light issue?  I have my X1 box set to take it's daily update between midnight and 1am.  I believe my X1 box isn't taking the update which throws the Data light on.  The reason I think this is because my X1 seems to work ok with the Data light on (so I was ignoring the data light) but after a few days, the menus start acting goofy, slowing down.  The Fast Forward starts to get a few second delay and everything seems to lag.  So, I reboot the box.  The Data light goes out and the X1 box works perfectly again.  Until the power saver kicks in and you turn on the box, back comes the data light.  Bottom line?  I think Comcast sends down an update and my box (and others) don't answer the call tripping the Data light.  After a few days of ignoring the issue, the X1 box starts acting weird requiring a forced reboot.  

Apologies . There is no cost to replace your box for another at any of our retail locations, or we can ship you a replacement box and waive the shipping charges, just let us know what you would like to do so we can make this right for you.  Thanks for your patience.