Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Why does to the All Power button on the remote put the TV box to sleep?

Contributor

Why does to the All Power button on the remote put the TV box to sleep?

I read it's intentional to NOT have the remote's All Power button turn OFF the set-top box (as opposed to it doing that if I haven't programmed the remote to the TV and/audio reciever), but I don't understand why the button can't put the box into sleep/power-saving mode... I've already got the timer to set it to sleep/power-saving mode automatically after 4 hours of idle time, so why can't the button do that manually?

Yes, I read that I can walk up to the box and power it off, and I know the box runs updates and reboots daily at 2am whether the box is on or off or in power-saving mode, which are all the more reasons to just let the All Power button shut off the box OR put it into sleep/power-saving mode.

Maybe I'm wrong on the logic and behavior, but I've never had a device hooked to the TV that uses a remote that I couldn't power off with the remote or put I to sleep/power-saving mode... this restriction seems unnecessary.
Expert

Re: Why does to the All Power button on the remote put the TV box to sleep?

Have you looked at the X1 settings for power?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-preferences

New Poster

I have the opposite problem. We shut the tv and cable off when we go to bed. Sometime during the night the night the cable box but nit the tv comes on by itself.

Expert

@Pat26davis wrote:

I have the opposite problem. We shut the tv and cable off when we go to bed. Sometime during the night the night the cable box but nit the tv comes on by itself.

the set top boxes are not powering down, they are going into a power-save mode. The boxes automatically reboot and that refreshes the firmware when available and the menu system as updates are available. 

New Poster

is there a way to stop the cable box from going into,power saving mode, when I push the all of button. The tv goes off and stays off but the cable box comes back on during the night.

Expert

@Pat26davis wrote:

is there a way to stop the cable box from going into,power saving mode, when I push the all of button. The tv goes off and stays off but the cable box comes back on during the night.

the answer is in the post just above your second post on this thread.

New Poster

I went into settings, power. We’ll see what happens tonight.

Contributor

Yes, the power-saving feature happens based on a time period I set in settings... not from any button. The question is about the button.

Expert

@dhinged wrote:

Yes, the power-saving feature happens based on a time period I set in settings... not from any button. The question is about the button.

the 'all power' button does not affect the set top box. if you have turned on the current Comcast labs HDMI setting, then the TV sends a notice to the set top box which then goes into power save mode.

New Poster

I have tried all suggestions to no avail. I called comcast . 2 techs later and 1 1/2 hours on the phone,  I now have a ie or I/E up in the corner of all broadcast tv programs. I have a tech coming out tomorrow. I will be charged $25.00.

New Poster

The cable box still turns on at 5:00 and stays on until we shut it off.  The daily update is supposed to be between 2:00 a.m And 4:00 am

Official Employee

Can you provide a screenshot of the IE? Is it a tv message?
Contributor

Rustyben, I know the 'all power' button does not affect the set top box... that's why I made this post. Please reread the original post's title and description.

To your reply, if it says "All Power" why does it not affect the power on all power boxes? That's the question I'm looking to have answered. If you know why Comcast made this decision (technical reason? sales reason? control reason?), please say so.

I don't know what you're referring to with the Comcast labs HDMI settings, but it seems like this is a solution I'm looking for (not sure why this wasn't mentioned before).

Contributor

@Pat26davis wrote:

The cable box still turns on at 5:00 and stays on until we shut it off.  The daily update is supposed to be between 2:00 a.m And 4:00 am

Pat26davis: Your issue is different than this thread's title... please put your issue in your own thread: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1