Community Forum

When will we get 4K and/or HDR?

Frequent Visitor

Re: 4k broadcast

http://www.lightreading.com/video/4k-8k-video/comcast-appears-to-soft-launch-first-4k-dvr/d/d-id/732...?

Well look what the Internet turned up. On a Comcast support page, the cable operator is now referencing an Arris XG4 DVR set-top, available in select markets only. The specs on the page don't advertise it, but multiple sources have told Light Reading that the product is a set-top that supports 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. And it may be Comcast's first 4K box on the market.

The XG4 DVR -- also apparently known as the XG1v4 -- is reportedly going live now or in the near future in limited markets, which would explain why the product is showing up on an X1 support page. It's noteworthy, however, that Comcast doesn't reference 4K support among the specifications. Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has already been dinged for falling behind on its 4K roadmap, and the company may be wary of promoting a product launch until the DVR has gained some traction in the field.

Comcast has not yet responded to a request for comment about the DVR.

Among the specs that Comcast does list for the XG4 are six TV tuners, a 25-minute buffer for pausing and rewinding live TV, compatibility with the X1 voice remote, and support for AnyRoom DVR and X1 TV apps.

Expert

@timc1475 wrote:

http://www.lightreading.com/video/4k-8k-video/comcast-appears-to-soft-launch-first-4k-dvr/d/d-id/732...?

Well look what the Internet turned up. On a Comcast support page, the cable operator is now referencing an Arris XG4 DVR set-top, available in select markets only. The specs on the page don't advertise it, but multiple sources have told Light Reading that the product is a set-top that supports 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. And it may be Comcast's first 4K box on the market.

The XG4 DVR -- also apparently known as the XG1v4 -- is reportedly going live now or in the near future in limited markets, which would explain why the product is showing up on an X1 support page. It's noteworthy, however, that Comcast doesn't reference 4K support among the specifications. Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has already been dinged for falling behind on its 4K roadmap, and the company may be wary of promoting a product launch until the DVR has gained some traction in the field.

Comcast has not yet responded to a request for comment about the DVR.

Among the specs that Comcast does list for the XG4 are six TV tuners, a 25-minute buffer for pausing and rewinding live TV, compatibility with the X1 voice remote, and support for AnyRoom DVR and X1 TV apps.

see the first (and updated) link on the thread http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/td-p/2907630

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: When will we get 4K and/or HDR?

or you could just answer the question instead and help out
Gold Problem Solver

No known date. Comcast has not made an official announcement so Comcast employees won't discuss it in the forum until an official announcement has been made.

You get to wait just like the rest of us.
Regular Visitor

4K/UHD service (Paradise, CA 95969

I was told twice by Comcast that we had 4k/UHD svc so I went out and bought a new UHDTV only to find out there is no service yet. One rep said it required a different box -- another rep said it worked with my existing box. The reps apologized and gave me a $20 credit (after I spent $800 on the UHDTV). When I searched the forum subject of 4K service it said problem solved(!), although nowhere did I read any planned arrival. What gives? Does UHD require fiber optics instead of coax? When can we expect to see service? No, I mean REALLY.

Regular Visitor

I've been reading posts as old as 2015 asking when 4K/UHD will be available and Comcast seems to be skirting the issue. I purchased a UHD because Comcast said it was up and running only to find out I was lied to. Not sure where to go from here.....

Gold Problem Solver

Nothing has changed. Comcast has said almost nothing about 4K. Comcast employees in this forum won't say anything about it until the company has made an official announcement.

Comcast employees will say that nothing is broadcast in 4K. However plenty is being streamed in 4K and X1 boxes have streaming capabilities so that statement does not fly.

I refuse to wait for Comcast to get 4K so I bought a Roku Ultra and a Sony 4K Blu-ray player. Both offer 4K and Dolby Digital Plus audio. The Sony Blu-ray player also has 4K.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: 4K/UHD service (Paradise, CA 95969

Comcast does not offer 4K and they haven't officially said when they will be.
Regular Visitor

Some of Netflix is 4K now, but I paid the extra $2/mo and that version isn't available until Comcast follows through....I live in the forest and can't use a satellite. I wonder who will have 4K first Comcast or satellite services....is 4K even possible b way of sat?

Gold Problem Solver

I watch Netflix in 4K on my Roku Ultra every day...
New Poster

Why do you support only Samsung and LG 4K Smart TV's?  When is support coming for all the rest of us?

Gold Problem Solver

Don't worry. The 4k UHD Sampler App is simply that. It is a sampler.

Last time I checked the sampler was only three programs so you aren't missing much.

I am guessing it is select Samsung and LG sets because they put up the $$$ for the app...

@Brian0499 wrote:

Why do you support only Samsung and LG 4K Smart TV's?  When is support coming for all the rest of us?

New Poster

Why are Sony tvs not mentioned as accessible to xfinity's ultra 4K transmissions?

Expert

I believe that was only the case with the "Ultra HD Sampler" app which came out in early 2016.

Please read the specifications on the post for the new Neflix app from Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!