Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

What happened to the Netflix app?

Contributor

What happened to the Netflix app?

Not sure what has changed but seems like a recent X1 update must have messed up the Netflix app on the DVR?  Any time I try to watching something it spins forever and if I'm lucky will start playing.  When it does, if it's a 5.1 channel surround audio track it will also play no sound for a few seconds.  If I try playing the same shows via Netflix through my Chromecast or 4K UHD disc player there are none of these problems so it's not a general problem with my Internet.  This has only started happening recently in a last week or two.

Expert

Re: What happened to the Netflix app?

@Flyinion wrote:

Not sure what has changed but seems like a recent X1 update must have messed up the Netflix app on the DVR?  Any time I try to watching something it spins forever and if I'm lucky will start playing.  When it does, if it's a 5.1 channel surround audio track it will also play no sound for a few seconds.  If I try playing the same shows via Netflix through my Chromecast or 4K UHD disc player there are none of these problems so it's not a general problem with my Internet.  This has only started happening recently in a last week or two.

press the A button and find and run reset netflix.

Contributor

@Rustyben 

press the A button and find and run reset netflix.

Tried that, it worked for exactly one attempt.  Exited, went back in and same problem, stuck around 75%

Expert

Try it again after you have rebooted the X1 STB.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Try it again after you have rebooted the X1 STB.

Sooo, assuming that it rebooted overnight that may have helped temporarily.  This morning I tried it and it loaded right up with no audio delay either.  Exited out, went back in after a minute and tried to start playing again and it hung at 75% loading.  Exited out, waited a few more minutes and tried again.  It sat at 75% for a minute then started playing but with the audio delay of 2-3 seconds again.  If it helps this is one of the Arris DVR boxes not just a dummy STB.  Should I try a manual restart in case the nightly auto-restart isn't a full reset?  Also are you suggesting reboot, clear settings, try again..........or clear settings, reboot, then try again?

Contributor

Ok I think it's still a little flaky (maybe a poor software update for the app or something) but it does seem to be behaving better.  It will still hang at 75% for a minute but start playing and still with the couple second audio delay.  Well, this afternoon at lunch I tested picking back up an episode of something I was in the middle of and it sat at 75% for a minute then started playing with instant audio.  After when it went to the next episode it did about a 30 second hang and then the audio delay.  I think the biggest issue at this point is the audio delay. 

If I play through any other source like Chromecast or my 4K disc player there is maybe 1/2 a second at most once the video starts before the audio kicks in.  The DVR app it's literally like 3-4 seconds.  This also seems related to multichannel audio like 5.1.  If I play something like say Star Trek Voyager that only has 2 channel audio there's no delay.

Official Employee

Hello, 

I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Contributor

@ComcastShane wrote:

Hello, 

I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Sent, thanks!

Contributor

@ComcastShane wrote:

Hello, 

Hi Shane any update?  I messaged you a couple days ago and haven't seen anything since.  Wasn't sure if you didn't get the info.

Official Employee

Flyinion, I apologize for the delay. Are you still having this issue? 

Contributor

@ComcastShane wrote:

Flyinion, I apologize for the delay. Are you still having this issue? 

Sorry I forgot to get back, yes it's still going on.  Well, the stuck loading thing is fixed but still getting the 3-5 seconds (at least) delay in audio on content with 5.1 surround sound.  Just for reference the same content played through a Chromecast or my 4K disc player have maybe 1/2 a second delay if that.

Contributor

Well, apparently Tier 2 support wants to swap out the DVR.  Not what I wanted to hear since I just replaced my original like 4 year old Pace box in November.  Replacing a DVR is always a pain.