Community Forum

What happened to Smart Resume?

Most Valued Poster

What happened to Smart Resume?

Smart Resume is no longer working on programs it worked on in recent history. We have not made any changes to any scheduled recordings or settings and its still toggled on in Comcast Labs. Watching last night's 'How to Get Away with Murder' which airs on ABC  which as always had Smart Resume and its not showing up.  New season started last night and I completely forgot that I missed the last two from last season in Nov ( they got 'lost' in our long DVR list I guess)  while we were on vacation and was catching up and smart resume was on both those recordings but when I went to watch first episode of this season from last night it was not  there.  Same experience with Chicago PD this week which airs on NBC. Please help me understand. 

Expert

Re: What happened to Smart Resume?

@TerriB wrote:

Smart Resume is no longer working on programs it worked on in recent history. We have not made any changes to any scheduled recordings or settings and its still toggled on in Comcast Labs. Watching last night's 'How to Get Away with Murder' which airs on ABC  which as always had Smart Resume and its not showing up.  New season started last night and I completely forgot that I missed the last two from last season in Nov ( they got 'lost' in our long DVR list I guess)  while we were on vacation and was catching up and smart resume was on both those recordings but when I went to watch first episode of this season from last night it was not  there.  Same experience with Chicago PD this week which airs on NBC. Please help me understand. 

it is a beta product so we have to expect glitches from time to time.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Thanks Rustyben...this has never happened before and I have been using the feature for a long time.
Administrator

@TerriB,

As mentioned by Rustyben Smart Resume is part of our Comcast Labs features. 

You will notice that when navigating to Comcast Labs you will notice the following message: "Comcast Labs allows you to try out experimental new features on you TV. These features may change, not work, or go away at any time."

This unfortunately means that there is little we can do to "fix" this feature if it is not working correctly. If this feature is fully added to the X1 UI then we will be able to assist  at that time if it does not function as designed. 

It is also good to note that Smart Resume allows you to automatically fast forward through ad breaks. Currently, this is only available on recordings of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and CW primetime shows 30 minutes after the program end time. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@TerriB,

As mentioned by Rustyben Smart Resume is part of our Comcast Labs features. 

You will notice that when navigating to Comcast Labs you will notice the following message: "Comcast Labs allows you to try out experimental new features on you TV. These features may change, not work, or go away at any time."

This unfortunately means that there is little we can do to "fix" this feature if it is not working correctly. If this feature is fully added to the X1 UI then we will be able to assist  at that time if it does not function as designed. 

It is also good to not that Smart Resume allows you to automatically fast forward through ad breaks. Currently, this is only available on recordings of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and CW primetime shows 30 minutes after the program end time. 

===

Yes I am  educated as to exactly how Smart Resume under Labs works   but Rustyben bluntly saying there can be glitches like I am stupid was not a  helpful response to what I was experiencing.  We program dozens of series a week and use and enjoy Smart Resume a lot and have since it became part of Labs. It has always worked as described/intended until recently when it became inconsistent . Same shows, recorded same way/same channel/ same time  as before  with no modifications to the settings suddenly had no smart resume from one episode to another. Bottom line is that I guess we just can't rely on it and nothing can be done but thanks for the reply.

Contributor

My problem is the smart resume option is there, but doesn’t work properly. It happened on a fox show and 2 others but I can’t remember what channel. For the record, it doesn’t appear on all shows on a channel. CBS doesn’t seem to have it on all shows. 

My vote is to keep the smart resume, but make sure it works properly. 

Most Valued Poster

@schnappsy wrote:

My problem is the smart resume option is there, but doesn’t work properly. It happened on a fox show and 2 others but I can’t remember what channel. For the record, it doesn’t appear on all shows on a channel. CBS doesn’t seem to have it on all shows. 

My vote is to keep the smart resume, but make sure it works properly. 

I am sure you already know this but just for a reminder...... the recording needs to be 'optioned' for HD channel between 8-11PM on NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS only. I never had a problem until recently.  I would love it to be available on all cable channels and to work properly all the time. Its easy to get really spoiled using it.

Contributor

Yes, I already know that, but here’s a good one. I have found it on TLC shows too. 

Most Valued Poster

@schnappsy wrote:

Yes, I already know that, but here’s a good one. I have found it on TLC shows too. 

Well thats news for sure that its working on other than the major networks. I wonder when they expanded it?

ComcastJessie....can you help us with this new development please?

New Poster

I just noticed my smart resume went away as well, I got curious and went to check out Comcast labs to see if it was still an option or if it was removed and it was just turned off. While it’s annoying that it was turned off, I’m just glad it’s still available. Crossing my fingers it still works!
Most Valued Poster

@Brady549 wrote:
I just noticed my smart resume went away as well, I got curious and went to check out Comcast labs to see if it was still an option or if it was removed and it was just turned off. While it’s annoying that it was turned off, I’m just glad it’s still available. Crossing my fingers it still works!

Rustyben said there are glitches in Labs features but to me that is not a satisfactory response. Sounds like if something goes wrong with a Labs feature they don't do anything to fix it.  We have had it 'turned' on since they offered it and it was fine on major networks in prime time as described and then  recently it  is randomly not working.  We have dozens of primetime shows scheduled as series recordings and have not messed with any settings.  One episode would have smart resume and then the next one didn't and then the next one did. Just happened again with Big Brother this week. Frustrating to say the least.

Most Valued Poster

Re The color of the smart resume progress bar

ComcastJessie I posted this a few days ago and thought I would get a quick answer but have not seen any reply at all. Can you help please. Thanks

===

Can someone tell me why the progress bar is sometimes  blue and gold and sometimes black and gray when smart resume is running ? May seem like a silly question but we sure would like to know.

Administrator

Re: Re The color of the smart resume progress bar

Here is the information we have in regards to Smart Resume:

The Comcast Labs menu of Xfinity X1 allows you to try out experimental features on your TV.

Note: These features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected. If a feature isn't working for you, you can turn it off at any time. This will not impact the supported X1 features.

The Smart Resume feature in Comcast Labs allows you to more easily navigate past commercial breaks within DVR recordings. If you fast forward through a commercial break when Smart Resume is enabled, Smart Resume will automatically drop you into playback when the commercial break ends.
Comcast Labs screen with Autoplay Next Episode, HDMI Link and Smart Resume for Recordings features.

Comcast Labs page with Smart Resume for Recordings set to On.

If your recording is eligible for Smart Resume, you will see a With Smart Resume badge on the middle of the screen when fast forwarding the recording.
Playback of a program with Smart Resume feature at center.

Note: At this time, this feature is only available on recordings of Primetime shows on NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC for up to one year after the program airs. For best results, this feature should be used 30 minutes or more after the program has finished airing.

Unfortunately there are no other updates/information to share at this time about Smart Resume.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@comcastjessie ...thanks for the reply. I have read all that about Smart Resume before  and even googled trying to find out about the color difference of the progress bar that changes often during the same recording before I asked on the forum. I am surprised that no one has asked besides me. I assume its 'cosmetic'  but surely there was some rationale when they developed the feature for Labs.

New Poster

Smart resume is gone at my house as well. I’ve had a system refresh as well. Nothing
Silver Problem Solver

@bob_snodgrass wrote:
Smart resume is gone at my house as well. I’ve had a system refresh as well. Nothing

Comcast Labs is a test area and options come and go.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-comcast-labs

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Not completely true, I am sure there are other networks for which it works, i.e. TLC. Smart resume also leaves some channel promos intact at resume. Must be channel specific where to place the sensor.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@bubbah wrote:
Not completely true, I am sure there are other networks for which it works, i.e. TLC. Smart resume also leaves some channel promos intact at resume. Must be channel specific where to place the sensor.

In my experience Smart Resume does not work with every one of my channels and I don't know why.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Bubbah.
Smart Resume was only designed in Labs to work in prime time on the four major networks...nbc,ab.
c,fox,cbs.No others.
Regular Visitor

Mine disappeared yesterday. It worked on more stations than Comcast says. I have been using that feature for quite sometime with no problem. Bring it back!
Gold Problem Solver

Smart Resume has been a bit inconsistent for me but in general it works as advertised on the four main networks during prime time.

Like Auto Extend, Smart Resume is a game changing feature and Comcast needs to get this right.
Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:
Smart Resume has been a bit inconsistent for me but in general it works as advertised on the four main networks during prime time.

Like Auto Extend, Smart Resume is a game changing feature and Comcast needs to get this right.

===

I agree that other than some inconsistences it works as advertised on the 4 networks it was designed for during the Labs process....NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS in prime time . I do not understand how some can say it works on networks other than those and would sure like someone from Comcast to comment on this.

@ComcastJessie...can you help with this issue as to whether Smart Resume does in fact work on networks other than the 'big' four? 

New Poster

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I can't help but think that the advertiser's commercials that we are skipping by using Smart Resume raised a stink with the networks who raised a stink with Comcast.  Big money is paid to air those commercials and the advertisers get zero bang for their bucks from those of us who skip commercials.  Personally, I seldom watch live TV so I FF through the commercial blabber anyhow.   It's the same outcome but not so much in the advertiser's face.   Smart Resume just made it easier for me.  I miss it!

Official Employee

capbanks, have you tried disabling and re-enabling? I was able to use smart resume the other day!

Expert

adding.... if you are not a nielson family, your viewing of anything is not 'seen' nor counted. not TV not PC not smart device viewing.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.