Community Forum

What does X1 broadcast? 1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480i?

Regular Contributor

What does X1 broadcast? 1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480i?

What does the X1 broadcast in?  and am I correct in believing that the standard comcast DVR only broadcasts in 480i as seen on my DVR?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: What does X1 broadcast? 1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480i?

It depends upon the network. Some are 720p (ABC&ESPN) and most others are 1080i. However the X1 DVR box will "convert" the output to whatever you have it set at.

I run mine at 1080p.

Official Employee

How is the DVR hooked up to your tv? Is it an analog or digital tv?
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

I am trying to understand why the most important channels I wanted my new tv for are not very clear, there grainy.  I like to watch Mecum auto auctions on Velocity, and Supercross racing on FS2 along with motorcycle road racing on FS1.  My new Magnavox 29" 720p flatscreen is much better than before, now I can see the names of the riders and there times on the ticker tape.  I did start a thread here but did not get the answer I was looking for yet.   

Gold Problem Solver

We needs some details here...

Do you have an X1 box?

If you don't, which box do you have?

How is it connected to your TV?

If it is an HD box are you tuning to the HD channel and not the SD channel?

Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew, I am sorry we must have posted at simular times as I did not see this question when I posted, I should have "refreshed"  and I meant to include the previous thread link to my post. 

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and am connected with an HDMI cable.  I also have a cheap DVD player hooked up to the tv.  I don't know about the analog or digital thing, I would guess it is digital.  All pictures are very good but still every thing that I see is 480i on the DVR.  Supercross racing on FS1-2 is just grainy and that is why I bought the tv lol.  So curious if X1 would be a fix for this?  Every one tells me something different.  The techies all tell me to go with 1080p Samsung tv with a 120 refresh rate.  Then cnet and other websites tell me it doesn't matter 720 is fine.  At this point I will stay with the Standard DVR but would like to be more educated on what is really being broadcasted, what is the truth and if it is possible for me to view my beloved motorcycle racing in the most vivid way.   

Thanks for all the comments, Chris

Gold Problem Solver

Are you watching the HD channel? That would explain why the 8300HD is showing 480i. Comcast broadcasts many channels in both 480i Standard Definition and in HD.

It sounds like you are on the SD channel. In my area, HD channels start at 190. I don't think there is any HD below that. Your local HD channels should be in the low 800's.

Samsung makes a better TV than Magnavox does, but in smaller sets the difference would not be night and day.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Are you watching the HD channel? That would explain why the 8300HD is showing 480i. Comcast broadcasts many channels in both 480i Standard Definition and in HD.

It sounds like you are on the SD channel. In my area, HD channels start at 190. I don't think there is any HD below that. Your local HD channels should be in the low 800's.

Samsung makes a better TV than Magnavox does, but in smaller sets the difference would not be night and day.

I don't know it does not say HD and that might be the problem?  To make sure I am clear, is 480i Standard Definition?  As I said before they are all in 480i, but some of those ARE HD, 480i? 

The FS1 is channel is 732 but there is a FS1 channel 450 that IS HD, and FS2 is 740, I will have to look on my worthless channel guide to see about the 740 channel.  Maybe it is just that I recorded in Standard before I knew there was a FS1 HD channel 450, I will have to check again.  Sorry for any confusion I am suffering some health issues and it is very hard to follow all this stuff.  I am getting it worked out though with all the help here.

So there is nothing broadcasted in higher than 480i with this DVR, but the X1 will convert to 1080p or i ?  Also I hope the issue is resolved when I record my next race on FS1 ch. 450! that would be soooo nice lol.  Thanks again too all for the help, my tv is awesome for a small 720p but it is just in my bedroom so it is all good.

Gold Problem Solver

No no no.

Something else is wrong. Do you have an HD channel package???

Also, on the older 8300HD boxes there is an HD setup menu. I don't remember the procedure to access it. Google it and you will find it. Your box must be locked on 480i output. Once you access the HD setup menu, you can set it for what ever resolution you want. Set it for only 1080i output. 8300HD's can't do 1080p.

Silver Problem Solver

BadR7 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew, I am sorry we must have posted at simular times as I did not see this question when I posted, I should have "refreshed"  and I meant to include the previous thread link to my post. 

I have a Scientific Atlantis Explorer 8300HD and am connected with an HDMI cable.  I also have a cheap DVD player hooked up to the tv.  I don't know about the analog or digital thing, I would guess it is digital.  All pictures are very good but still every thing that I see is 480i on the DVR.  Supercross racing on FS1-2 is just grainy and that is why I bought the tv lol.  So curious if X1 would be a fix for this?  Every one tells me something different.  The techies all tell me to go with 1080p Samsung tv with a 120 refresh rate.  Then cnet and other websites tell me it doesn't matter 720 is fine.  At this point I will stay with the Standard DVR but would like to be more educated on what is really being broadcasted, what is the truth and if it is possible for me to view my beloved motorcycle racing in the most vivid way.   

BadR7 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

I have a Scientific Atlantis Explorer 8300HD and am connected with an HDMI cable.  I also have a cheap DVD player hooked up to the tv.  I don't know about the analog or digital thing, I would guess it is digital.  All pictures are very good but still every thing that I see is 480i on the DVR.  Supercross racing on FS1-2 is just grainy and that is why I bought the tv lol.  So curious if X1 would be a fix for this?  Every one tells me something different.  The techies all tell me to go with 1080p Samsung tv with a 120 refresh rate.  Then cnet and other websites tell me it doesn't matter 720 is fine.  At this point I will stay with the Standard DVR but would like to be more educated on what is really being broadcasted, what is the truth and if it is possible for me to view my beloved motorcycle racing in the most vivid way.   

I didn't realize X1 would run on the 8300HD!  No wonder there are so many people complaining about X1.  We need to include our X1 hardware when we ask a question.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Bronze Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

I didn't realize X1 would run on the 8300HD!  No wonder there are so many people complaining about X1.  We need to include our X1 hardware when we ask a question.

You should read this thread again - I don't think anyone said the X1 would run on the 8300.

Valued Contributor

BadR7 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

I have a Scientific Atlantis Explorer 8300HD and am connected with an HDMI cable.  I also have a cheap DVD player hooked up to the tv.  I don't know about the analog or digital thing, I would guess it is digital.  All pictures are very good but still every thing that I see is 480i on the DVR.

In general, if a TV does not have HDMI or DVI inputs, it's analog.  However, I have seen some early models that converted DVI to analog for analog processing.  I don't recall seeing early models that converted HDMI to analog for analog processing, but that dosen't mean that there are none.  If a set is analog, you must use a component video input that accepts a 1080i input for HD.

In general, if a TV accepts multiple HDMI inputs, it's digital.  Certainly any set manufactured in the last five years is digital.

Regular Contributor

Yes it is a new set a few days old and does have multiple HDMI ports and

jehill wrote:

BadR7 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

I have a Scientific Atlantis Explorer 8300HD and am connected with an HDMI cable.  I also have a cheap DVD player hooked up to the tv.  I don't know about the analog or digital thing, I would guess it is digital.  All pictures are very good but still every thing that I see is 480i on the DVR.

In general, if a TV does not have HDMI or DVI inputs, it's analog.  However, I have seen some early models that converted DVI to analog for analog processing.  I don't recall seeing early models that converted HDMI to analog for analog processing, but that dosen't mean that there are none.  If a set is analog, you must use a component video input that accepts a 1080i input for HD.

In general, if a TV accepts multiple HDMI inputs, it's digital.  Certainly any set manufactured in the last five years is digital.

USB.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

No no no.

Something else is wrong. Do you have an HD channel package???

Also, on the older 8300HD boxes there is an HD setup menu. I don't remember the procedure to access it. Google it and you will find it. Your box must be locked on 480i output. Once you access the HD setup menu, you can set it for what ever resolution you want. Set it for only 1080i output. 8300HD's can't do 1080p.

Yes I have HD channel package.  I have tried everything but cannot find where I can change the output, and believe me I have tried.  I just did a search for it on the internet but no luck yet.  I will also go to the comcast manual if I can find it lol.  Someone was mentioning shutting the box off and then pushing "Menu" on the box? but there is no menu? LOL. Thanks for the help I will keep an eye on this thread until I find an answer.

Okay I found where it says push Menu and Info at the same time to set output but it did not work.  I did it with the box off like it said but nothing.

Gold Problem Solver

I am very sure this is the problem. With the box off, press GUIDE nand INFO at the same time. Have the remote nearby....

RickGr4 wrote: 

Regular Contributor

Yeah I just tried that but the funtion never came up in fact nothing came up, I tried it many times waiting more than twenty seconds each time.

Regular Contributor

Okay just spoke to a pretty competent person at comcast and he had me turn the box off, then press Guide on the remote and that worked.  Now I could not change the output so he suggested the restore the defaults, and that worked.  Apparently someone changed the setting before I got this box cause he said that they come with the settings on the highest resolution.  So the next test will be to watch some motorcycle racing on saturday night yip-eee!  Thanks for your help RickGr4 and all the people here!

RickGr4 wrote:

I am very sure this is the problem. With the box off, press GUIDE nand INFO at the same time. Have the remote nearby....

RickGr4 wrote: 

Gold Problem Solver

Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Smiley Wink

I also have another question over here if you are interested: 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Favorites/td-p/2053331

Silver Problem Solver

manamok wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

You should read this thread again - I don't think anyone said the X1 would run on the 8300.

I was confused because the poster I quoted said he had an 8300.  If he isn't running X1, he should be in another forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Bronze Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

manamok wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I was confused because the poster I quoted said he had an 8300.  If he isn't running X1, he should be in another forum.

Yes he should.

Regular Contributor

No! because I was asking a question about the X1, to learn the difference and how it functions.

Bronze Problem Solver

BadR7 wrote:

No! because I was asking a question about the X1, to learn the difference and how it functions.

Well - then you're right where you belong.  

New Poster

I read through the user comments and Andrew's responses and conclude that COMCAST is dancing around the issue. Disappointed. I have a brand new Samsung UN48H6400 top end for that size and the HDMI input data tells me COMCAST is broadcasting 720, not 1080. Plus, my X1 box is not converting up to 1080 as Andrew mentioned. He spent a lot of time in essence calling customers idiots, but truly we are capable of knowing which channels are broadcasting in HD, generally. Let's cut to the chase and talk about how to get 1080 out of our COMCAST Cable, or why not.
Gold Problem Solver

Actually......

Comcast is passing what ever the network is sending. 480i, 720p or 1080i. The X1 box is converting the output to what ever you have it set for in the settings. If your TV is indicating 720p that simply means your X1 box is set to 720p. Most HD networks broadcast in 1080i. ABC and ESPN are 720p and they are the notable exceptions.

Please keep in mind there is a known issue with X1 boxes and late model Samsung TVs. You may be stuck on 720p until the fix comes. You can also press EXIT EXIT EXIT 1080 on the remote. That should force the box to 1080i however it may not stay there.

vmaxmaniac wrote:
I read through the user comments and Andrew's responses and conclude that COMCAST is dancing around the issue. Disappointed. I have a brand new Samsung UN48H6400 top end for that size and the HDMI input data tells me COMCAST is broadcasting 720, not 1080. Plus, my X1 box is not converting up to 1080 as Andrew mentioned. He spent a lot of time in essence calling customers idiots, but truly we are capable of knowing which channels are broadcasting in HD, generally. Let's cut to the chase and talk about how to get 1080 out of our COMCAST Cable, or why not.