Community Forum

Watching DVR recordings

Frequent Visitor

Watching DVR recordings

Would some please explain why I need an internet connection to watch my DVR recordings. Stupidest idea I’ve ever heard. I realize they are cloud stored as well or cloud accessed, and Xfinity uses their on-demand library for cloud DVR viewing. But recordings on my DVR are just that. THEY ARE ON MY DVR. (Or so they tell me. ) When my service is out (a common occurrence) I want to watch a RECORDING!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Watching DVR recordings

Inside your dvr is a little modem, that uses docsis signals (same as your modem) to function. If those docsis signals go down, the dvr doesn’t work. If you’re having that much trouble with this and your internet dropping, you should have a tech out to track down the cause.

You can also go back to Legacy dvr that works in an outage

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Watching DVR recordings

I agree that needing an internet connection to watch your local copy of a recording is a stupid and inconvenient requirement.   But if you get your bigger issue  (frequent outages) fixed it won't bother you as much and that should be a solvable problem.