Community Forum

Watch recorded X1 DVR content during internet outage?

New Poster

Watch recorded X1 DVR content during internet outage?

Greetings,

I am not exactly finding this answer, so pardon if this is a repeat that I overlooked.  We have a great deal of recorded viewing.  There was a tornado in the area recently and we lost internet access.  I would think that we could watch our recorded shows while the repairs were in progress, but the box will not finish the boot until it has an internet connection.  It seems as if we are actually just streaming shows that we have marked as recorded.  Am I missing the steps to watch the recorded shows during an internet outage?

This may help, but we are about to do the equipment replacement.  If that capability is not available on the existing DVR, will it be on the new unit?

Thank you

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Watch recorded X1 DVR content during internet outage?

No, what you’re seeing is correct. The dvr uses the same frequencies as your internet modem. If the internet goes down, the dvr will go down without any accessibility. Equipment changes won’t change anything

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Watch recorded X1 DVR content during internet outage?

@Steve107 wrote:

Greetings,

I am not exactly finding this answer, so pardon if this is a repeat that I overlooked.  We have a great deal of recorded viewing.  There was a tornado in the area recently and we lost internet access.  I would think that we could watch our recorded shows while the repairs were in progress, but the box will not finish the boot until it has an internet connection.  It seems as if we are actually just streaming shows that we have marked as recorded.  Am I missing the steps to watch the recorded shows during an internet outage?

This may help, but we are about to do the equipment replacement.  If that capability is not available on the existing DVR, will it be on the new unit?

Thank you

With X1 most of us have a home DVR which gives us the cloud DVR too. Cloud DVR holds last 60 hours of recordings and is unrelated to the home equipment. you can watch any recording that has finished the recording process. also, there is much of the on-demand library available to you while you are not on your home wifi, as well as the TVgo channels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!