Community Forum

Volume Fluctuations with X1 Box

Regular Contributor

Volume Fluctuations with X1 Box

I had been happy with the DTA boxes and the older HD boxes, but the family wanted to have the new X1 interface, the 'neat' GUI.  I was reluctant, because I've never made a change with Comcast that went smoothy.  Billing, defective devices, activation issues...you name it.  And I've been with them since 1999, administering three accounts at three homes.

End rant.

The problem I have with the new boxes is that the volume fluctuates all over the place.  It's on many channels, and happens during programs,  and when a commercial comes on, it's either much louder or softer than the program.  Sometimes, the change in volume when a commercial comes on runs over into the program.  I've tried all the different audio settings on my TV, but no luck.  I have no complicated set up.  The audio goes directly to my TV speakers.  Nothing else is hooked up to any of the TVs.

I notice on this forum, this issue is when someone goes rom the older box to the X1 box.  I've seen that posts go back to May 2016, and that Xfinity said they were working on this issue.

So, what can I do, if anything?

Expert

Re: Volume Fluctuations with X1 Box

@anon86290 wrote:

I had been happy with the DTA boxes and the older HD boxes, but the family wanted to have the new X1 interface, the 'neat' GUI.  I was reluctant, because I've never made a change with Comcast that went smoothy.  Billing, defective devices, activation issues...you name it.  And I've been with them since 1999, administering three accounts at three homes.

End rant.

The problem I have with the new boxes is that the volume fluctuates all over the place.  It's on many channels, and happens during programs,  and when a commercial comes on, it's either much louder or softer than the program.  Sometimes, the change in volume when a commercial comes on runs over into the program.  I've tried all the different audio settings on my TV, but no luck.  I have no complicated set up.  The audio goes directly to my TV speakers.  Nothing else is hooked up to any of the TVs.

I notice on this forum, this issue is when someone goes rom the older box to the X1 box.  I've seen that posts go back to May 2016, and that Xfinity said they were working on this issue.

hi, when you say audio goes to my tv speakers, what do you mean? how is your X1 set top box hooked up to the TV? Using the voice remote say 'about'. what is the STB version line?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

End rant.

hi, when you say audio goes to my tv speakers, what do you mean? how is your X1 set top box hooked up to the TV? Using the voice remote say 'about'. what is the STB version line?

Hi,

For years, I've had six tvs in the house, some HD, some not HD, using a combination of DC50X DTA boxes and RNG110 boxes.

Comcast also installed, years ago, an amplifier in the demarc box in the garage when the second RNG110 box was placed in

service. Here's how the tvs were set up until last week. As you know, none of the above boxes are X1.
1) DEN, HD tv, using DC50X box
2) MBR, HD tv, using DC50X box
3) BR, HD tv, using RNG110 box
4) GARAGE, non-HD tv, using DC50X box
5) FR, HD tv, using DC50X box
6) LR, HD tv, using RNG110 box
ALL was working fine.
Then I swapped out 2), 3), 5), and 6) for X1 equipment. The new setup is:
1) DEN, HD tv, still using DC50X box
2) MBR, HD tv, *changed* to using XiD-P X1 box
3) BR, HD tv, *changed* to using XiD-P X1 box
4) GARAGE, non-HD tv, still using DC50X box
5) FR, HD tv, *changed* to using XG2v2-S X1 box (store ran out of XiD-P boxes)
6) LR, HD tv, *changed* to using XG2v2-P X1 box (This is the 'master' X1 box.)
Now, all is not working fine.
The box I wrote about is connected to the tv with an HDMI cable. The audio signal comes out the tv speakers, directly. There

are no AV, soundbars, theater-type systems anywhere in the house. All tv sound from all tvs comes out the tv speakers. Very

simple.
The firmware version of the box 2) in question is:
Release Version: 91.1.2
Release Timestamp; 11/08/2018 15:05
XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0
Receiver: Native version: 3.1.0
STB Timestamp: Wed Aug 15 05:16:10 2018
eCM MAC: N/A
STB Version: PXD01ANI_3.1p9s2_PROD_sdy
Device ID: 17449etc....
Device Name: Master Bedroom
Environment: p5-0i
I can be tuned to a channel, and the sound level is 20, and then tune to another channel, and I have to turn the sound level to 50

to hear. On any channel, the level can fluctuate during a program. Or, I'll be watching a program and have the level adjusted to

my liking, and a commercial comes on, and the level is still ok, and then another commercial comes on and the level is so quiet, I

can hardly hear, and then when the commercial ends and it goes back to the program, the sound level is still so quiet I can hardly

hear. All the while, the sound level number remains the same.
I wanted to get this 2) box situation figured out, but I have trouble with the other X1 'satellite' boxes. The 'master' box seems to

be working fine.
This morning, to do some more testing, I turned on number 5), using the X1 remote. The tv came on (the X1 box was already on),

but all I got was 'no signal'. Yep, I was on the proper XDMI port. I had to pull power from the X1 box , wait, and apply power to

get a signal. Of course, the screen told me "Powering up..., etc.
Then, I tried number 3). I turned it on, and there was no picture, but I could hear the audio from the channel it was on when

turned off last night. I hit the 'last' (left arrow) button on the X1 remote, and only the last channels watched appeared at the botton of the

screen. I pressed "OK", and the video appeared. This tv also drops audio a lot, and the picture is jittery. That is, it looks like your'e

watching a flip book cartoon at times.
The 'about' data on this STB is the same as 2), with two exceptions, the Device ID, of course, and the Environment, which is oh1-

k2.
Rant:
I've been all over the Xfinity forums, and other forums, and usenet (NNTP), and there's lots of talk about this X1 problem since 2016, but no

one has fixed it. It seems like the customers just just get worn down and end up living with it. I can understand this because I

don't have time to go back and forth to the store, to be on the phone for hours, powering down and back up, waiting for reset signals

that never arrive, disconnecting and reconnecting cables, HDMI, etc, wait for technicians to come to the house to check signals,

splitters, cables...
All I want is the technical answer as to how to fix this, if it can be fixed. If it can't be fixed, I'm either going back to DC50X/RNG110 boxes, if they'll still hand those out, or I'm finding another provider.  Twenty years of this hassle is enough.  Who has time to play 'let's try this'?

Expert

since the connection is direct to TV with HDMI it is either the HDMI cable, the TV, or the set top box. the X1 equipment passes through the audio received it does not change/modify the audio. the audio stream is sent to the TV. would you check that TV's set top box audio settings to be sure it is set to stereo output? if it is then start with swapping a different HDMI cable. no joy? try a new swapped out set top box. no joy, try a new port on the TV. keep in mind some channels and programs have different levels and the 'broadcaster' (not Comcast) is responsible to ensure that audio is not 'manipulated' to 'louder' for commercials, etc. Does the TV have an advanced audio menu? if so have you explored the options? might be a TV menu 'enhancement' that now is used with the digital audio from the X1 set top boxes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

you "USED" to be able to change the cable box volume output with older boxes. Is there a way of doing that with X1 boxes?

Expert

@billmich88888 wrote:

you "USED" to be able to change the cable box volume output with older boxes. Is there a way of doing that with X1 boxes?

no, that was to allow non-remote control television owners to have volume control (now it is the tv's function to control volume).

Regular Contributor

I miss "best stereo"

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

since the connection is direct to TV with HDMI it is either the HDMI cable, the TV, or the set top box. the X1 equipment passes through the audio received it does not change/modify the audio. the audio stream is sent to the TV. would you check that TV's set top box audio settings to be sure it is set to stereo output? if it is then start with swapping a different HDMI cable. no joy? try a new swapped out set top box. no joy, try a new port on the TV. keep in mind some channels and programs have different levels and the 'broadcaster' (not Comcast) is responsible to ensure that audio is not 'manipulated' to 'louder' for commercials, etc. Does the TV have an advanced audio menu? if so have you explored the options? might be a TV menu 'enhancement' that now is used with the digital audio from the X1 set top boxes.

Not the HDMI cable, sinced I first used the one Comcast provided, then a high end one I provided.  It's not the port since I've tried HDMI ports 1 and 4.  It's not  the  TV since it does have enhanced audio out, but it's set to the simplist, stereo.  The set top box is set to stereo.  I'm currently out of town so I can't swap out set top boxes, but I doubt that's it, since this is the second set top box I've tried.  I'm used to trouble shooting and eliminating possible causes, and I appreciate your trying to help, but I just thought someone may have an answer to this commonly reported problem with X1 boxes.  It is commone, and  Comcast never seems to jump in to help.  I know they monitor these forums.  Also, I do understand that commercials/stations may broadcast at different volume levels, but I've never had this problem until I switched to X1 boxes.   This is nuts.  One should be able to upgrade without  problems.

I was reluctant to upgrade, and I shouldn't have done so.  It it ain't broke, don't fix it.