Community Forum

Voice Control X1 (new install)

Frequent Visitor

Voice Control X1 (new install)

Had Comcast installed last night, have 3 boxes for TV, one with DVR and two smaller boxes. The two smaller boxes are not paired for voice control with the remote. The tech said he couldn't get them working and I could go to the a comcast store and ask for a new remote if I wanted them to work. I'm not sure if this is the actual solution or just something he told me to do.

 

 

The remote works for TV and cable, just not for voice commands. When I try using it, it says to finish pairing, claims it's paired (without letting me enter code) then to hit OK to setup volume and power for TV. Nothing I do will get me off that screen except hitting the exit button on the remote, which asks me if I want to skip, and finish setup later. 

 

 

When the tech was attempting to pair last night, the main TV (one with dvr connected) kept showing codes instead of the TV he was working on.

 

 

Any thoughts? 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)

Try resetting the box and put the remote right to the box. Can you see recordings on these?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)


@Jaur0n wrote:

Had Comcast installed last night, have 3 boxes for TV, one with DVR and two smaller boxes. The two smaller boxes are not paired for voice control with the remote. The tech said he couldn't get them working and I could go to the a comcast store and ask for a new remote if I wanted them to work. I'm not sure if this is the actual solution or just something he told me to do.

 

 

The remote works for TV and cable, just not for voice commands. When I try using it, it says to finish pairing, claims it's paired (without letting me enter code) then to hit OK to setup volume and power for TV. Nothing I do will get me off that screen except hitting the exit button on the remote, which asks me if I want to skip, and finish setup later. 

 

When the tech was attempting to pair last night, the main TV (one with dvr connected) kept showing codes instead of the TV he was working on.

 

 

Any thoughts? 


are remotes that don't work the xr15 or xr11 remotes? are the smaller set top boxes model rng150 ? on the smaller boxes is the guide black and white or a colored background?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)

@CCAndrew 

 

Reset as in power cycle or actually resetting it? If it's the later I'm not sure how to do that.

 

 

I did power cycle, and got the same results. I am able to see recordings on the device. 

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)

@Rustyben 

 

Looks like XR15 from google image of that remote.

 

 

Guide looks black and white.

 

 

As for model of the smaller unit,  it looks like it's Pace and Cisco XiD X1

 

 

 

according to this page https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

 

 

I don't know how to tell for sure. 

 

 

Expert

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)


@Jaur0n wrote:

@Rustyben 

 

Looks like XR15 from google image of that remote.

 

 

Guide looks black and white.

 

 

As for model of the smaller unit,  it looks like it's Pace and Cisco XiD X1

 

 

 

according to this page https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

 

I don't know how to tell for sure. 


at the same time press 'xfinity' and 'i' (info) buttons. when red LED on remote changes to green the 3 code entry boxes will appear on the TV if you point the front of the remote to toward the set top box. you may need to get very close (within a foot) of the front of the set top box. worked?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)

@Rustyben 

 

As I mentioned in the original post, the code box does not appear. It did not appear for the installer, it does not appear for me. 

Expert

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)


@Jaur0n wrote:

@Rustyben 

 

As I mentioned in the original post, the code box does not appear. It did not appear for the installer, it does not appear for me. 


the command is sent via 'IR' (infrared emitter) on the remote to the set top box. if the box IR receiver window can't see the IR signal then it won't pair. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)

It's not an IR issue. When I press the button combo the TV in a different room, on a different floor shows the code instead of the one I am in front of.  This happens with both devices that won't "pair" for voice command. Each box is on a differnt floor and are in different rooms, but display the code on the same TV (the only one where voice commands actually do work and is connected to the larger box that I assume holds the DVR).

 

Expert

Re: Voice Control X1 (new install)


@Jaur0n wrote:

It's not an IR issue. When I press the button combo the TV in a different room, on a different floor shows the code instead of the one I am in front of.  This happens with both devices that won't "pair" for voice command. Each box is on a differnt floor and are in different rooms, but display the code on the same TV (the only one where voice commands actually do work and is connected to the larger box that I assume holds the DVR).


take the two remotes/STBs that don't work to the xfinity store and let them hook them up there to test (or swap out again). do you happen to have an xr11 remote to pair with one of the 'non-working' STBs to test?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!