Community Forum

Vizio Tablet Remote coexisting with Xfinity X1 remote

Frequent Visitor

Vizio Tablet Remote coexisting with Xfinity X1 remote

It seems I purchased a Vizio TV (actually a monitor,model P50-c1)) that pretends to be smarter than my Xfinity X1 platform.

How do I go about hooking up the pair. Will I have to settle for an X1 "slave" box and not the X1 "master" box I wanted to use.

The Vizio comes with an android tablet with its Vizio app. I seem to recall that Comcast has an app for X1 control.

I am a little confused and wondering if anyone has a solution. I hate to return the Vizio Monitor but will its firmware conflict with X1?

Official Employee

Re: Vizio Tablet Remote coexisting with Xfinity X1 remote

What inputs do you have available? And what boxes do you presently have?
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

You don't quite understand. I have 1 "master" X1 box with 2 "slave" X1 boxes.

They, of course, have HDMI outputs.

The Vizio P50-C1 has multiple HDMI inputs. That is not the problem. I can't have the X1 remote and the Vizio Smartcast Remote working together, can I?

Official Employee

Have you tried to download either the X1 remote app or Xfinity TV remote app onto the tablet? ( no idea if you can add apps to it) The X1 remote isn't going to control your Vizio beyond power and volume. Hope that answers it for you
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

I have a related but slightly different question... The new 2016 Vizio M series and P series come with a tablet remote to control the tv, with a preinstalled app called Vizio SmartCast. This app lets you control the tv, the volume, power, everything, ALSO it can see that I'm using a comcast box, will show all the programming listings and guides, but won't control the comcast box like it's supposed to. Vizio support doesn't seem to understand what's going on. This is frustrating. How do we get comcast to communicate with Vizio or vice vesa, to work together and fix this issue with it's app developers? Are you able to escalate this issue?

Here's a video I made to show you more info and a screen shot showing that is see's the comcast box. In the end, it just times out and never is able to play the program selected.

https://youtu.be/9s-5HBYmBW0

unnamed (8).jpg
Problem Solver

Jason_B wrote:

I have a related but slightly different question... The new 2016 Vizio M series and P series come with a tablet remote to control the tv, with a preinstalled app called Vizio SmartCast. This app lets you control the tv, the volume, power, everything, ALSO it can see that I'm using a comcast box, will show all the programming listings and guides, but won't control the comcast box like it's supposed to. Vizio support doesn't seem to understand what's going on. This is frustrating. How do we get comcast to communicate with Vizio or vice vesa, to work together and fix this issue with it's app developers? Are you able to escalate this issue?

Here's a video I made to show you more info and a screen shot showing that is see's the comcast box. In the end, it just times out and never is able to play the program selected.

Here is my guess as to why the Vizio app is failing to change the station. Previously Comcast let users utilize a web page that allowed them to change the channel on their set-top box through the Internet. Vizio probably used that web API as a hook to change the channel through their app. Unfortunately, Comcast removed that web page that allows users to change their set top box channel, and that removal most likely broke the Vizio app. Comcast recently fixed their Xfinity TV Remote app to again allow changing of the set-top box channel through the app, but that fix might have changed the API, leaving the Vizio app broken.

It was fairly easy previously to see the procedure call Comcast was using through the web page to change the channel. It is much more hidden to see how the channel change is happening through the smart device app.

Again, this is just a guess on my part.

EDIT: One other thing I realized. Does the Vizio app require you to log into your Comcast account? How would it know what cable box you are trying to control?  Does the Vizio app work with an IR Blaster connected to your TV in order to control the cable box?

Frequent Visitor

I have a Vizio P series display as well.  I never even knew changing channels was a feature of the app until I read this thread.  I went through setup and gave it a try.  It doesn't work.  The tablet does not have an IR blaster; it connects to the display through wifi and/or bluetooth. Since the app doesn't have a comcast login, it is probably trying to change the channel using CEC.

Valued Contributor

With IP control of the X1 Platform coming soon this could be possible BUT Comcast would need to have an agreement in place with Vizio to allow for them to use APIs and rework their app to allow subscribers to login to their account, select a box to control, and control it. Very, very doubtful you'll ever see this happen. There's a lot more involved here but in the end, probably never going to see it! You COULD get the X1 Remote Android app and control the STB that way though.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Vizio M Series with a tablet, I sync wiht the X-1 box and can see the cable shows just like the menu guide on the tv, though I can not get it to connect to select the channel?  It seems that either the box is not recieveing the communication or the tablet is not sending the communication?

Has this issue been resovled?

I hvae a video of the table being selected to another channel an it does not go to selected channel

please advise 

Valued Contributor

What do you mean by "sync with the X1 box?"  What app are you using to try and change channels?  This isn't possible with anything other than the Xfinity Remote app.  The Vizio app has absolutley no way of communicating with the box.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Jason_B wrote:

Here is my guess as to why the Vizio app is failing to change the station. Previously Comcast let users utilize a web page that allowed them to change the channel on their set-top box through the Internet. Vizio probably used that web API as a hook to change the channel through their app. Unfortunately, Comcast removed that web page that allows users to change their set top box channel, and that removal most likely broke the Vizio app. Comcast recently fixed their Xfinity TV Remote app to again allow changing of the set-top box channel through the app, but that fix might have changed the API, leaving the Vizio app broken.

It was fairly easy previously to see the procedure call Comcast was using through the web page to change the channel. It is much more hidden to see how the channel change is happening through the smart device app.

Again, this is just a guess on my part.

EDIT: One other thing I realized. Does the Vizio app require you to log into your Comcast account? How would it know what cable box you are trying to control?  Does the Vizio app work with an IR Blaster connected to your TV in order to control the cable box?

No it doesn't require you to login. When you go to add a device it asks for your zipcode. When I enter my zip, I see the comcast service for my city and click it. THen I see all the programming... This is a very new tv from vizio, but it shows all the content from many service all housed in one app, It's pretty tricked out, but it's not fun when I can't go to the shows on comcast that it shows.... Not sure what to do, but these two companies need to work together...

Also, take a read over this. Interesting...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11279954/vizio-smart-tv-google-cast-tablet-remote-smartcast-app-fe...

Valued Contributor

All the Vizio app is doing is hitting a service like Rovi or Gracenote and it's pulling in guide info. There is no way for the Vizio app to tell the box in your house to change channels. The Vizio app doesn't even know the box exists and has absolutely ZERO communication with it. It only know where you live and who your TV provider is, since you told it that. That guide info does NOT come from Comcast or your box. As I said, communication with the box TECHNICALLY is possible but it won't be opened up by Comcast. That's just the way it is.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Not sure why anyone would care about this. Tablet remotes stink for controling TVs and cable boxes because you have to look at them in order to use them. Hard button remotes are MUCH better because you don't need to look at them to use them. You can "feel" your way around the buttons.

I don't regularly use any of the Comcast remotes but I suggest you program the XR11 to control the Vizio TV and call it a day... My LG OLED can accept both IR and Bluetooth commands.

Or, you could invest in a programmable universal remote. Properly programmed they are VASTLY more capable than any factory supplied remote.

enroberts wrote:
All the Vizio app is doing is hitting a service like Rovi or Gracenote and it's pulling in guide info. There is no way for the Vizio app to tell the box in your house to change channels. The Vizio app doesn't even know the box exists and has absolutely ZERO communication with it. It only know where you live and who your TV provider is, since you told it that. That guide info does NOT come from Comcast or your box. As I said, communication with the box TECHNICALLY is possible but it won't be opened up by Comcast. That's just the way it is.

Contributor

It doesn't matter if it's the tablet. The SAME app can be installed on your Iphone, the exact same app and it fucntions the same way. The tablet is just fot those that may not own a smart phone, etc. The TV also comes with a regular IR remote.

The interface of the app is super cool because it houses all videos in one place. So, you don't need to open separate apps for say Vudo, Hulu, pandora, Netflix, YouTube, HBO NOW, it's all showing everything on one app screen, a universal watch list. I use it alot on my iphone. All it needs now is to work comcast. As of now, I have to close out and use the X1 xfinity app, and it's the only thing I have to use separate. I have the XR11 setup alread to control the tv, and I have a harmony, I just don't want to use them since this app is so cool.... If you read that link from Vizio, you'd think they would try to work with comcast as their CTO mentioned getting rid of all remotes with their tv's, well, the idea of it.

Also, the vizio app DOES work with Direct TV... 

Valued Contributor

It works with DirecTV because they allow anyone to locally control their box via IP. This will not happen with Comcast. Trust me, I know waaaay to much about this. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Well that's sad to hear... It's super cool to search and get all those results in one app. Don't know many apps that can do a univeral watch list.

No extra apps required

The best thing about SmartCast is that you don’t always have to switch apps to start watching something. If you search for Comedians in Cars GettingCoffee—a show that’s available on the free streaming service Crackle— you can launch it on the television straight from SmartCast.

By comparison, searching for the same show through the non Vizio Chromecast app merely provides a link to Crackle, which you must then install, then open, then hit the Cast button within the app before you can finally start watching.

Read our coverage of the launch of Vizio's P-series smart TVs.

SmartCast also has a tie-in with Pluto.tv, an app that turns online video into round-the-clock streaming channels. You’ll find these channels under the Live Streams section, and again, tapping a channel immediately brings it up on the television, even if you don’t have Pluto.tv installed on your phone. In the future, you could imagine other live streaming sources such as Sling TVfeeding into this section of Vizio’s app. The Chromecast app doesn’t have anything similar for live video.

Vizio’s app even tries to provide a universal watch list, a concept that’s sorely missing from other streaming devices. This allows users to flag any movie or TV show for later viewing, regardless of what streaming service it comes from, and even get alerts when new TV episodes become available.[

Valued Contributor

Yep. I know how it works. I have spent more time than I care to admit with a P series Vizio. Vizio would love for Comcast to open up their API for local IP control. Comcast doesn't feel the same way though. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Well, it's nice to talk to someone who knows how and why it's not being done... Guess we can only hope things change. 

Gold Problem Solver

Like I just said, tablet or touchscreen remotes stink. I have a wide assortment of Harmony and URC remotes. I am fluent in programming both brands. Properly programmed hard button remotes are the real deal. Voice control has a long ways to go but Savant is getting there.

If I handed my significant other a tablet and told her she needed to use it to control our main system she would probably throw me out of the house.

Jason_B wrote:

Well that's sad to hear... It's super cool to search and get all those results in one app. Don't know many apps that can do a univeral watch list.

No extra apps required

The best thing about SmartCast is that you don’t always have to switch apps to start watching something. If you search for Comedians in Cars GettingCoffee—a show that’s available on the free streaming service Crackle— you can launch it on the television straight from SmartCast.

By comparison, searching for the same show through the non Vizio Chromecast app merely provides a link to Crackle, which you must then install, then open, then hit the Cast button within the app before you can finally start watching.

Read our coverage of the launch of Vizio's P-series smart TVs.

SmartCast also has a tie-in with Pluto.tv, an app that turns online video into round-the-clock streaming channels. You’ll find these channels under the Live Streams section, and again, tapping a channel immediately brings it up on the television, even if you don’t have Pluto.tv installed on your phone. In the future, you could imagine other live streaming sources such as Sling TVfeeding into this section of Vizio’s app. The Chromecast app doesn’t have anything similar for live video.

Vizio’s app even tries to provide a universal watch list, a concept that’s sorely missing from other streaming devices. This allows users to flag any movie or TV show for later viewing, regardless of what streaming service it comes from, and even get alerts when new TV episodes become available.[

Valued Contributor

Savant is in major upheaval right now. The board kicked out their CEO, Bob Madonna took over again, and they have laid off most of their management. Not looking good for them. Their latest hard button remote is just awful too. Also, their lead "innovator" doesn't get it. His views are opposite of every other major player out their.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Good info Neal.

Do you have any updates on Kaleidescape?

enroberts wrote:
Savant is in major upheaval right now. The board kicked out their CEO, Bob Madonna took over again, and they have laid off most of their management. Not looking good for them. Their latest hard button remote is just awful too. Also, their lead "innovator" doesn't get it. His views are opposite of every other major player out their.

Valued Contributor

All I know is they were funded to remain a float. I know a few folks who were approached for capital and they declined. They need more $ to turn the company around but can now at least support their customer base for a bit longer with existing products and content.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I just love the tablet/iphone app. It's great when you want to turn on the tv from another room and have a video start playing before you even walk in....

Gold Problem Solver

I guess you don't realize that is what I have been doing for years now... I can control my AV systems from anywhere in the house and I don't need a tablet to do it.

Tablet remotes stink. Why? Because you have to look at them to use them. Properly designed hard button remotes are still the right way to go. The best remote is the one you don't need to look at to operate.

Solutions for this have existed for a long time.

Jason_B wrote:

I just love the tablet/iphone app. It's great when you want to turn on the tv from another room and have a video start playing before you even walk in....

Contributor

For 95% of people that don't have AV systems like you do, it's a treat. 

I'm sure you have an awesome setup, but not everyone can do that just out of the box from store to home in 10 minutes with no extra cost. They are appealing to the 95%, not the super enthusiast that's 5%. I get it though. It's all what you are into, and if you like a custom solution that you can totally tweak to do "exactly" what you want, I understand.

Gold Problem Solver

My comments have nothing to do with the 5% or the 95%. I am simply trying to make people aware that vastly better solutions exist. It is up to each person to decide it they want to investigate the possibilities and ultimately make the investment.

But that is not my point. Tablet or touchscreen remotes are not the best way to go about this simply because you have to look at them to use them. The best remote is the one that you can navigate with one thumb and you never need to look down at.

FYI, I have four AV setups in my house. They are all composed of different gear. But I have all of my Harmony and URC remotes programmed to control them the same way. Once you learn one of them, you have learned all of them.

Jason_B wrote:

I'm sure you have an awesome setup, but not everyone can do that just out of the box from store to home in 10 minutes with no extra cost. They are appealing to the 95%, not the super enthusiast that's 5%. I get it though. It's all what you are into, and if you like a custom solution that you can totally tweak to do "exactly" what you want, I understand.

Expert

Jason_B wrote:

is it a fully compatible android tablet ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Contributor

Yes.
image.jpeg
Expert

Sweet!! Is it running Marshmellow?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

If you have a laptop as one of your devices, install the Xfinity TV app to it. Then purchase an inexpensive display port that had hdmi output.
Contributor

Bottom of page 33 in the manual:

"Live TV listings compatible with IP-based set-top boxes from DirecTV and Dish Network services, with more services to be added. See http://www.Vizio.com/smartcast for details." 

Again, I absolutely love the touch screen remote. I've had many harmony remotes, and RF harmony remotes. I've now retired them. I also can control everything in my house from my phone for home automation, from home, or away form home on a LTE signal, from that same phone. You don't see anyone with a clunky remote doing home automation. If someone says they like button remotes and think they are the best thing out there? That's an opinion, just like mine. Which is fine. Opinions are like...

Gold Problem Solver

Actually,

Yes you do see it. Control 4 and Savant (both leaders in home automation control systems) offer hard button remotes for "primary control" and tablet apps for secondary control.

Obviously we will never agree. A PROPERLY PROGRAMMED hard button remote is the best way to control an audio/video system. It is vastly easier. HOWEVER if someone chooses to involve shades, security, HVAC or lighting into there remote control then touchscreens might become more plausible. I have always contended that anyone who did not like Harmony or URC remotes did not have them properly programmed. That being said, properly programmed Harmony and URC remotes are fully capable of controlling home automation.

I have said this before and I will say it again. The best remote for an AV system is the one you do not need to look at to use. You need to look at touch screens to use them which is completely unacceptable to me.

Jason_B wrote:

Bottom of page 33 in the manual:

"Live TV listings compatible with IP-based set-top boxes from DirecTV and Dish Network services, with more services to be added. See http://www.Vizio.com/smartcast for details." 

Again, I absolutely love the touch screen remote. I've had many harmony remotes, and RF harmony remotes. I've now retired them. I also can control everything in my house from my phone for home automation, from home, or away form home on a LTE signal, from that same phone. You don't see anyone with a clunky remote doing home automation. If someone says they like button remotes and think they are the best thing out there? That's an opinion, just like mine. Which is fine. Opinions are like...

Contributor

You didn't read my reply. I said home automation from my phone at home and away with a LTE signal. Controlling everything, shades, garages, lights, fireplace (can turn on 5 min before I get home to warm things up if I wanted) all from one app. You aren't taking a pretty touchscreen remote with you on the road. I have some stuff setup that most don't know about that a button remote can't do.

It's fine to disagree. But as long as you promote buttonless remotes and say how superior they are, I'm going to say the opposite. I used to be like you. I hated the first harmony remote that replaced the 880/890 that was touch screen. Tech sometimes wins. And my harmony 890, guess what happened? Multiple buttons are broken on it. I'll bet you $1,000 if we come back to this thread in 5-10 years, there will be hands down more buttonless remotes than now. It's just the future, like it or not.

Gold Problem Solver

The 890 is over a decade old, was not a good remote to begin with and far from representative of where they are now.

The 890 is not a good example to "sell your point". It was never a very good remote. Certainly not a fair comparison. 

Harmony currently has remotes which have "apps" and can do everything you just stated for barely over $100. Control 4 and Savant both offer complete packages that can control just about everything in a house with BOTH hard button remotes, tablet control and phone control for under $1,000.

No offense but please catch up on your information and offer up to date comparisons.

Jason_B wrote:

You didn't read my reply. I said home automation from my phone at home and away with a LTE signal. Controlling everything, shades, garages, lights, fireplace (can turn on 5 min before I get home to warm things up if I wanted) all from one app. You aren't taking a pretty touchscreen remote with you on the road. I have some stuff setup that most don't know about that a button remote can't do.

It's fine to disagree. But as long as you promote buttonless remotes and say how superior they are, I'm going to say the opposite. I used to be like you. I hated the first harmony remote that replaced the 880/890 that was touch screen. Tech sometimes wins. And my harmony 890, guess what happened? Multiple buttons are broken on it. I'll bet you $1,000 if we come back to this thread in 5-10 years, there will be hands down more buttonless remotes than now. It's just the future, like it or not.

Expert

Jason_B wrote:

have you tried loading the Xfinity xt Remote app into your Vizio pad? I know it doesn't have a native tablet interface and its UI hasn't been updated and doesn't include many remote features, it is still available to do remote control features via 'internet' access (to Comcast servers). 

New Poster

First I appoligize for the speeling on the last post.

It doesn't matter that the Vizio tablet is not connecting/controliing the TV with Xfininty. I have a tv that is nice, though comes with this cool looking tablet that is worthless.

I'll keep checking back, one day maybe it wil;l function as a controler with xfininty.

You would think when designing a product it would interface with what you are designinig it to do.

Contributor

checking back.

Regular Visitor

But that's not true because my samsung tv remote changed my chanels and now I have recently purchased a vizio m series and it says when I click on the show I want to watch that it is changing the channel but it never does and like I said my samsung did it with no problems

Expert

Jason_B wrote:

checking back.

have they done an update that now works along with the Xfinity TV Remote app? That app has been updated for iOS and the old Xfinity X1 remote app was removed.

Silver Problem Solver

moodymofo wrote:

But that's not true because my samsung tv remote changed my chanels and now I have recently purchased a vizio m series and it says when I click on the show I want to watch that it is changing the channel but it never does and like I said my samsung did it with no problems

I'm jumping in here because you said "my samsung tv remote changed my channels".  It can't change channels on your X1 box.  So, you also have to use the X1 remote to change channels on the Vizio.  I have one Samsung TV and three Vizio TV's.

Contributor

For those that use the comcast remote that comes with the X1 box. Did the TV INPUT button on the comcast box control your 2016 Vizio mart Cast tv inputs? Since those tv's didn't have any on screen menus, I don't think it worked before, but a recent update it now works. Am I right that this button on the comcast remote didn't used to let you change inputs?

Expert

Jason_B wrote:

For those that use the comcast remote that comes with the X1 box. Did the TV INPUT button on the comcast box control your 2016 Vizio mart Cast tv inputs? Since those tv's didn't have any on screen menus, I don't think it worked before, but a recent update it now works. Am I right that this button on the comcast remote didn't used to let you change inputs?

reported on the forum is that it will work if the TV doesn't require hitting an 'enter' or 'ok' button on its own remote. my Sharp TV allows switching input and if you don't move the cursor it then accepts that as your choice (no enter button needed. others won't work they just dismiss the menu on the TV menu system without acting on the change.

Contributor

Jason_B wrote:

I'll bet you $1,000 if we come back to this thread in 5-10 years, there will be hands down more buttonless remotes than now. It's just the future, like it or not.

Hasn't been nearly that long, but, just want to add an update for you guys with the Vizio's... Now if you have a google home it will interface with your Vizio and you can say things like "Play, The eagles Hotel California on youtube on my Tv" and it will turn on your TV if it's off, and start playing the video, without you touching anything. You can do lots of other stuff too. Just a cool thing I figured out with messing around with the Google Home.  I did not buy it to control my tv, just came to find out it does!