Community Forum

Using a streaming app with X1

Highlighted
Contributor

Using a streaming app with X1

Now that Xfinity has added Amazon Prime videos as an app I am now using it more than ever. I know that watching through the app counts against your internet data usage even though it may seem you are just using the TV. My question is when you turn off the TV does it signal through the HDMI cable that it is off so that the streaming stops? As far as I know turning off using the remote only turn off the TV and leaves the cable box on. I don't want to be charged for streaming that I do not see.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Using a streaming app with X1

@denmarks43 wrote:

Now that Xfinity has added Amazon Prime videos as an app I am now using it more than ever. I know that watching through the app counts against your internet data usage even though it may seem you are just using the TV. My question is when you turn off the TV does it signal through the HDMI cable that it is off so that the streaming stops? As far as I know turning off using the remote only turn off the TV and leaves the cable box on. I don't want to be charged for streaming that I do not see.

If data is not moving from Amazon to the TV, there is no usage.

Remember that if you use the Amazon Prime website, it is the same as using the X1 app as far as using data is concerned.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

How does X1 know that no data is moving? Does the TV communicate back to X1 that it has been turned off?

Official Employee

If you’re not watching anything there’s no data used.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks for the answer. I am just interested in the technical aspects. When the X1 box sends a signal to the TV and the TV is off does it then know to stop all activity until the TV is turned back on? Is there 2 way communication?

Official Employee

If you leave Netflix/Amazon going with something playing and turn the tv off, it will keep playing until it’s done.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

turning off the TV has no effect on stopping the counted stream. Isn't that the question?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

"turning off the TV has no effect on stopping the counted stream. Isn't that the question?"

That is the question. Would the stream stop at the end of the current movie or TV show? Would it continue with the rest of the TV series? I assume the safest thing to to is always exit.