Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Upgrading and confused re: XG1 vs XG2

Contributor

Upgrading and confused re: XG1 vs XG2

I'm currently upgrading to an X1 package (Preferred Triple Play) from my current pre-X1 plan, and I'm a little confused about exactly what type of boxes I'd get (or should get).

I currently have two DVR's, each with two tuners (really old, I know), and I would like to keep the same basic setup with the new X1 plan (ie. two independent/fully capable DVRs). The rep at the Comcast store who signed me up for the upgrade said that if I brought in my old (current) boxes I could get either 2 XG2 DVR boxes, or 1 XG2 box and a non-DVR box.  After reading through several of the stickied posts on this forum it looks like the XG2 box is somewhat of a step backwards from the XG1 boxes.  I may even be losing some capabilities that I have with my current 2-tuner boxes (worse live TV capability, no clock/channel display on the front panel, etc.).

Am I reading all of this right. It sounds like what I really want is two XG1 boxes. Is that possible to do anymore? Are they still available or can I only get the XG2 boxes?  The guy at the store made it sound like I didn't have much of a choice -- it's XG2 or nothing. Is that true?

This is really confusing to me. It should be a no-brainer to want the latest-and-greatest equipment offered, but in this case I have serious reservations about turning in my current 2-tuner boxes and replacing them with XG2 boxes.

This all seems very bizarre.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: Upgrading and confused re: XG1 vs XG2

@jmr1959 wrote:

I'm currently upgrading to an X1 package (Preferred Triple Play) from my current pre-X1 plan, and I'm a little confused about exactly what type of boxes I'd get (or should get).

I currently have two DVR's, each with two tuners (really old, I know), and I would like to keep the same basic setup with the new X1 plan (ie. two independent/fully capable DVRs). The rep at the Comcast store who signed me up for the upgrade said that if I brought in my old (current) boxes I could get either 2 XG2 DVR boxes, or 1 XG2 box and a non-DVR box.  After reading through several of the stickied posts on this forum it looks like the XG2 box is somewhat of a step backwards from the XG1 boxes.  I may even be losing some capabilities that I have with my current 2-tuner boxes (worse live TV capability, no clock/channel display on the front panel, etc.).

Am I reading all of this right. It sounds like what I really want is two XG1 boxes. Is that possible to do anymore? Are they still available or can I only get the XG2 boxes?  The guy at the store made it sound like I didn't have much of a choice -- it's XG2 or nothing. Is that true?

This is really confusing to me. It should be a no-brainer to want the latest-and-greatest equipment offered, but in this case I have serious reservations about turning in my current 2-tuner boxes and replacing them with XG2 boxes.

This all seems very bizarre.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.

To clarify, the X1 DVRs aren't independent, you will see the recordings on both DVRs. Only older X1 DVRs have a display, no other X1 equipment does. Not sure what you mean by live tv capability.

XG2 is NOT a dvr, just an HD box. If you want 2 DVRs, and want to pay for them,  you can have them. XG1 is a DVR

This thread gives a comparison of the boxes

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183

Contributor

See, told you I was confused...!   :-)

Thanks for the quick response!

I did see the thread with all the comparison data.  It's a good source of info. Unfortunately it contradicts some of what the store rep told me (eg. he said the XG2 box has a display, but according to the thread it does not!) and thus added to my confusion.

When I say 'live TV capability' I'm refering to several of the points discussed in the last post (Lost Functionality) of the thread here.

Regarding the display, you say only older X1 equipment has them. Do all XG1 boxes have them (it looks like they do in your referenced comparison thread)? I want displays...

So, if I go in to the store with my current boxes and say I want XG1s, they'll give them to me (for a price, of course)? Comcast is still issuing XG1s?

Sorry for what may seem like obvious questions, but I have to flick away a pretty thick layer of confusion here, and my confidence in my knowledge and understanding is a little shaky right now.

Official Employee

@jmr1959 wrote:

See, told you I was confused...!   :-)

Thanks for the quick response!

I did see the thread with all the comparison data.  It's a good source of info. Unfortunately it contradicts some of what the store rep told me (eg. he said the XG2 box has a display, but according to the thread it does not!) and thus added to my confusion.

When I say 'live TV capability' I'm refering to several of the points discussed in the last post (Lost Functionality) of the thread here.

Regarding the display, you say only older X1 equipment has them. Do all XG1 boxes have them (it looks like they do in your referenced comparison thread)? I want displays...

So, if I go in to the store with my current boxes and say I want XG1s, they'll give them to me (for a price, of course)? Comcast is still issuing XG1s?

Sorry for what may seem like obvious questions, but I have to flick away a pretty thick layer of confusion here, and my confidence in my knowledge and understanding is a little shaky right now.

Re-lost functionality, it's a different platform, different capabilities. You'll have to weigh your own pros and cons, when you switch. 

All XG1 DVRs have a display except for the XG1V4, they're still available (your market may vary based on inventory but you should still be able to get hold of them).

Re-displays, it only shows clock, not channel on the display.

Contributor

Thanks. I think the fog of confusion is starting to lift now.

OK, so if I understand you correctly, Comcast is still issuing XG1 DVRs (non-v4's) as a normal practice.

These DVRs still have access to cloud storage? That's how I'm able to see the recordings on one DVR from the other DVR, right?

Bummer about not showing the channel on the display.  Wonder why that functionality was removed?

Is there any way to find out the inventory status of these DVRs at my local office before I head down there?  I'd hate to go to all the trouble of disconnecting the two DVRs, driving half an hour to the store, waiting to talk to a rep (the store is usually packed!), only then to find out they're out of stock.

I do have a tech scheduled to come out next week to install the gateway/modem for the upgrade, if he has a couple on the truck would he be allowed to do a swap. I understand having him actually install the DVRs would be an extra charge, but would just swapping result in a charge? I'm fine with doing the disconnecting/connecting myself.

Official Employee

The cloud is the ability to see your last 60 hours of recordings on a mobile device or PC.
The DVRs use Moca to communicate with each other ( and other X1 boxes).
There’s no way to check inventory, you could wait and see if your tech next week has them or can get them for you.
Contributor

Thanks... One more ray of sunlight cutting through the fog.

Hadn't heard of Moca before.  A quick google search and I think I kind of get it now.

I've read in some threads that Comcast may ship equipment to customers?  How does that work?  Would that be a viable option in my case?

Contributor

After sleeping on it I think I'm willing to just go ahead and pay the $40 service charge to have a tech come out with the boxes I want and install them.  Ideally it would be done by the tech coming out next week while he's here to install the new gateway, but that's not a requirement I guess.

Is that something that you can arrange, ComcastAndrew?  Or if ComcastAndrew isn't available maybe one of the other Comcast employees on this forum could arrange it?

Thanks again.

Contributor

Hmm...

Just saw this thread where ComcastKenF says he can "check to see the inventory at whatever service center you choose".

the fog is starting to thicken up again...

Official Employee

I don’t have access to that but if you want to try to get that information through ComcastKen, feel free. He works in customer care, I’m a tech in the field.

Your previous post was escalated to see if they can change your work order
Contributor

Okay, thanks.

I just assumed all you Comcast folks used the same systems and had access to the same information.  I learned something new again!