Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

There isn't any formal web site for changes to the X1 system.  There are many topics in this forum that have been started with suggestions for changes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@kdebaker wrote:

Hi is there a way that we can suggest certain updates with the x1 opperating system that we would like to see? I have had a few friends and family with really simple and easy ideas to intergrate, but we have no where to submit this feedback to feel heard. Thank you. 

Klaatu Barada Nicto !

Supposedly, this forum would be an ideal place for such suggestions. Unfortunately, if you have been on the forum a while, you begin to realize that none of us posters can see any response from people at Comcast who have the authority to make our suggestions reality. It's like our suggestions are in some sort of electronic vacuum. My old IT mentor had a term for this type of problem. He said it ended up in the bit bucket.

Still, we all keep trying and in the process meet others of like mind who we can share ideas with and that is a big plus.

For anyone who wants to keep up with the weather I suggest finding your local  NWS NOAA site, often at your local airport. The weather information is updated hourly and the local radar images are updated every ten minutes or so. Once you get familiar with the display you can watch bad weather approaching your location as it happens. I have found this to be the most accurate way to predict the local weather. Weather watches and warning are also available.

start with .www.weather.gov then enter your city.

I have my local site as a permanent icon on my desktop.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

TerriB mentioned letting customers filter out the channels they don't want watch. I set up the ones I do watch in Favorites List. Looking at it filtered that way reminds me of all the channels available that I do not watch. When I want to record, I go do it through Favorites so I don't have scroll past what I don't care for.

We would have to add dozens of channels to Favorites and what a chore that would be PLUS I hear they don't 'stick' anyway. I only mentioned Guide filters because there are already some in place so why not just offer more.

Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Please see below for June's key X1 updates:

Simplifying and Personalizing Entertainment + updated Recording end time offsets (you will now be able to set recordings to stop 1, 5 and 30 minutes late. End time offsets for "Live" events will remain the same).

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

awesome!! thanks gwen for the info on these exciting new updates! I really appreciate it!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Simplifying and Personalizing Entertainment + updated Recording end time offsets (you will now be able to set recordings to stop 1, 5 and 30 minutes late. End time offsets for "Live" events will remain the same).

Gwen

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Gwen

Gwen, I have been subscribed to Comcast Voices for a long time but never receive email about them. I just tried to subscribe again and it tells me I am already subscribed. Why am I not getting them? And no its not going to any spam folder. All I ever get is Comcast Corporation news.

Regular Contributor

I do not see anything on the link that you reference about extending recordings.

Regular Contributor

I belive thats why gwen put the + sign. I understood her post as the comcast voices to describe everything besides the extended recordings. thats why she put the + sign...I assumed...

@chuclkw wrote:

I do not see anything on the link that you reference about extending recordings.

Expert

2.02p4 1.53.03

Unusual and non-fatal problem report. Thought I was 'losing it' the first couple of times. If you watch and stop watching an asset and begin another and then hit fast forward, you may (not always) see just a frame of the first video as the fast forward starts. Issue appears to be not flushing the fast forward process storage before actual playback of an asset is begun.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

2.02p4 1.53.03

Unusual and non-fatal problem report. Thought I was 'losing it' the first couple of times. If you watch and stop watching an asset and begin another and then hit fast forward, you may (not always) see just a frame of the first video as the fast forward starts. Issue appears to be not flushing the fast forward process storage before actual playback of an asset is begun.

I have the same software versions. I posted a while back that it seemed every time I post that nothing seems broken, it is soon followed by something breaking on X1. Sure enough, this morning I tried to set a a series recording and the X1 system wouldn't do it. Oh, it indicated that it had, but no programs were listed in the scheduled recordings and the red recording icon next to the shows wasn't there. I had to set up a weeks worth of single episode recordings manually. Can't you dunderhead programmers ever get it right ? incompetent Boobs !

Playing Whack a Mole might amuse a 2 year old but I'm really tired of the constant X1 upgrades breaking something almost every release. I know I'm not alone in this.

Sisyphus

• In Greek mythology Sisyphus was a king of Ephyra. He was punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, repeating this action forever.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

2.02p4 1.53.03

I have the same software versions. I posted a while back that it seemed every time I post that nothing seems broken, it is soon followed by something breaking on X1. Sure enough, this morning I tried to set a a series recording and the X1 system wouldn't do it. Oh, it indicated that it had, but no programs were listed in the scheduled recordings and the red recording icon next to the shows wasn't there. I had to set up a weeks worth of single episode recordings manually. Can't you dunderhead programmers ever get it right ? incompetent Boobs !

Playing Whack a Mole might amuse a 2 year old but I'm really tired of the constant X1 upgrades breaking something almost every release. I know I'm not alone in this.

Sisyphus

• In Greek mythology Sisyphus was a king of Ephyra. He was punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, repeating this action forever.

BJ..take you hands off the keyboard and stop breaking stuff.....lol. You make my days brighter!

And even when series recordings are set its skipping episodes again. Every time we go to watch a recording we have to check the episode list to make REAL sure none have  been skipped. When we see 'On Demand' we know it was not recorded. This is absurd.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

2.02p4 1.53.03

Sisyphus

BJ..take you hands off the keyboard and stop breaking stuff.....lol. You make my days brighter!

And even when series recordings are set its skipping episodes again. Every time we go to watch a recording we have to check the episode list to make REAL sure none have  been skipped. When we see 'On Demand' we know it was not recorded. This is absurd.

Oh come on, you now have "Improved Music Video Entity Pages", so how can you possibly complain that the basic DVR functionality is broken?

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

2.02p4 1.53.03

Sisyphus

Oh come on, you now have "Improved Music Video Entity Pages", so how can you possibly complain that the basic DVR functionality is broken?

tctc...and how have lived without that (tongue buried deep in cheek)? So much more important that changing size/contrast of fonts, having a recording buffer and the old favorite of being able to have true slo mo in both directions and freeze frame. Where did we go wrong?  If more  Fluff  is supposed to sooth the savage beasts...we are not amused.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

2.02p4 1.53.03

Sisyphus

tctc...and how have lived without that (tongue buried deep in cheek)? So much more important that changing size/contrast of fonts, having a recording buffer and the old favorite of being able to have true slo mo in both directions and freeze frame. Where did we go wrong?  If more  Fluff  is supposed to sooth the savage beasts...we are not amused.

When I first started writing programs my users were right in the same room where I worked. Boy, did they let me know every time I made a mistake. I quickly learned how to fix problems and each generation of program got better than the previous version.  The programmers at Comcast must all be from the Bizarro planet. Imperfect Clones caused by Red Kryptonite rays from a Lex Luthor device. Dedicated to doing everything the opposite of normal accepted practice. Like all things Bizarro ... Imperfect, flawed, nonsensical.

Oops ! the secret is out. Lex Luthor is in charge of X1 developement.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

When I first started writing programs my users were right in the same room where I worked. Boy, did they let me know every time I made a mistake. I quickly learned how to fix problems and each generation of program got better than the previous version.  The programmers at Comcast must all be from the Bizarro planet. Imperfect Clones caused by Red Kryptonite rays from a Lex Luthor device. Dedicated to doing everything the opposite of normal accepted practice. Like all things Bizarro ... Imperfect, flawed, nonsensical.

Oops ! the secret is out. Lex Luthor is in charge of X1 developement.

ME TOO. I was on a national program design team  of ten  and worked with  Bell Labs who did the actual programming. We each had a beta team of savvy users who 'beat the programs to death' to find mistakes or things that did not work as designed or the way they wanted them to work . My paycheck was affected if I did not produce what the users  needed/wanted. Guess it doesn't work that way with Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

Just got 1.54.02 06/15/2015.  First thing I saw was this:

1.54.3.jpg

Voice CC still doesn't work for me.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Wow, that was fast. It looks like the whole smartbar was redesigned. Any other sightings?

Silver Problem Solver

Not yet.  

I sure wish the Comcast mods could give us some heads-ups for things like this.

I thought that was the purpose of this thread.

Gold Problem Solver

Not to steal any of TerriB's thunder but the font size of the program title and channel number is quite a bit larger...

Most Valued Poster

RIck......I thought I heard the thunder roar from your neck of the woods. Thats ok...I will 'give' you this one since hopefully it benefits so many of us. I can't wait to see the update appear and see how much of a change it is.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Not yet.  

I sure wish the Comcast mods could give us some heads-ups for things like this.

I thought that was the purpose of this thread.

DOUBLE AND TRIPLE DITTO

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Just got 1.54.02 06/15/2015. 

Still on 1.53.03 here in Walkabout Creek but will be interested to see what you saw when we finally catch up.

Meanwhile, time for a stroll to the Billibong so I can Tie me Kangaroo down sport.

Comcast has us so used to malfunctions that they are beginning to feel normal. That is until I remember what viewing was like before X1. Whatever the reasons,  they are not producing the stable product they had in the past. I don't understand how they allow this to continue over and over. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

Perhaps they are trying to drive us all.....

AEN.png        MAD.

Silver Problem Solver

Today, in addition to XRE 1.54.02, I now have STB 2.0.2p4s1.

I'm guessing that's the latest as of today.  No telling what tomorrow will bring.  Maybe a June STB date.

Most Valued Poster

Still waiting for 1.54.02 ..tick tick tick

Silver Problem Solver

Terri,

My other DVR is always behind, as well as my two Companions.  I have no idea why.

Valued Contributor

Is this done by region or a way to force the update ?

Silver Problem Solver

Sometimes, unplugging the box will allow an update.  I suspect it is done by region, but that doesn't explain why my four X1 boxes are almost always out of sync with each other.  You just have to have patience.  Some updates bring unwanted changes, also.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

My other DVR is always behind, as well as my two Companions.  I have no idea why.

Robert, I was told at the local service center that the Virginia suburbs of Wash DC are the last to get updates and guess where I live?  We only have 1 DVR.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Mine too!   MBR dvr always gets the update first.... MBR lr usually is about 4 days afterwards... musrt be something about serial nos or install dates.... I have no idea!!!!!!

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I have a question....for those of you that seem so incredibly unhappy with X1, why don't you cancel your service (once your contract is up) and get service with someone else? Personally, when I  am unhappy with service from a company, I would rather get service with someone else. just seems like it would be a lot less frustration for those that are unhappy...

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Comcast has us so used to malfunctions that they are beginning to feel normal. That is until I remember what viewing was like before X1. Whatever the reasons,  they are not producing the stable product they had in the past. I don't understand how they allow this to continue over and over. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

AEN.png        MAD.

Expert

@strotti wrote:

Is this done by region or a way to force the update ?

We have never been informed of the details.... I imagine it is by demographic region.... whichever can support the FW or XRE first is able to deploy it.... as work is done to implement the backend, more areas then get the updates.

-=Ray=-

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Mine too!   MBR dvr always gets the update first.... MBR lr usually is about 4 days afterwards... musrt be something about serial nos or install dates.... I have no idea!!!!!!

-=Ray=-

Are we really surprised that we have no idea what process they use to update?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

Nope!  It is S.O.P. !!!

Most Valued Poster

A bit off topic as there is a thread about the new forum format BUT these badges are 'too much'. I got a 'Hello' badge welcoming me to the community. I have been a member since 2003. I got a Happy Valentine's Day 2015 badge (the heart)......a bit late don't ya think?

I suspect that the introduction of the badges is what is causing the forums to load slower than grandma's molasses today.

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Nope!  It is S.O.P. !!!

You are being kind to suggest that anything they do is 'standard'....lol

Gold Problem Solver

Maybe people with kind hearts received the heart badge which could be the reason you and Raymond received them but I didn't...

LOL

@TerriB wrote:

A bit off topic as there is a thread about the new forum format BUT these badges are 'too much'. I got a 'Hello' badge welcoming me to the community. I have been a member since 2003. I got a Happy Valentine's Day 2015 badge (the heart)......a bit late don't ya think?

Regular Contributor

I just wish I could change my avatar picture!

Silver Problem Solver

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I have a question....for those of you that seem so incredibly unhappy with X1, why don't you cancel your service (once your contract is up) and get service with someone else? Personally, when I  am unhappy with service from a company, I would rather get service with someone else. just seems like it would be a lot less frustration for those that are unhappy...

@BeowolfJones wrote:

AEN.png        MAD.

I am not unhappy with my X1 service.  If I were, I would still keep Internet and Home.

I looked into TiVo and I like it but I'm going to see what Comcast does first.

I'm here to help others - I'm retired and I've spent a lot (actually most) of my years on forums, starting with Usenet and BBS's. 

Silver Problem Solver

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Are you logged in to your Comcast email address?  I'm able to change mine.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Maybe people with kind hearts received the heart badge which could be the reason you and Raymond received them but I didn't...

LOL

@TerriB wrote:

You know you have a special place in my heart..!

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Yeah. Just can't find the option anywhere. Maybe PM me some screenshots if you have time and don't mind. Thanks!

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

I'm logged into mine <G>  I can change my Avatar..it's just I can't see the INSERT PIC or PASTE FROM WORD buttons!!!!  

Expert

There....now I'm a rabbit.....

Silver Problem Solver

It looks like the badges are for current activity - they don't seem to take into account activity before the change was made to add badges.

Regular Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

There....now I'm a rabbit.....

Dangit! Either I don't know where to look or it's just not an option for me.

Gold Problem Solver

BB,

I have some very valid reasons for staying with Comcast:

1. The internet has been very fast and VERY reliable. My GF is a government employee and often works from home. We MUST have reliable and fast internet.
2. A satellite dish would need to go on the front of our house and it would be very visible. My GF continues to poo poo that idea.
3. If we switched to satellite, I would need to run a new home run for my modem. It can be done but it would involve removing vinyl siding. Yes, I have people that can do it...
4. As I have stated in this forum before, my X1 works well. Maybe the network guys in the Twin Cities REALLY know what they are doing but I have not experienced most of the "X1 bugs" that others have suffered through. I can't believe I am hearing myself say this but our X1 service has been very reliable.
5. We have come to like the multi tuner recording capabilities X1 and we like the features of the web style guide.
6. We have been able to renegotiate our pricing a couple different times so we could keep our monthly bill tolerable.
7. Many of X1 glaring feature omissions (such as reminders) don't mean anything to us.

Those are the reasons we haven't canceled. Yes, I am aware we could always drop cable and keep internet but my GF isn't real excited about that.

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

AEN.png        MAD.

Silver Problem Solver

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I'm logged into mine <G>  I can change my Avatar..it's just I can't see the INSERT PIC or PASTE FROM WORD buttons!!!!  

I am reading this forum with Chrome.  I don't remember how I started getting the buttons to work in the replies, but I had that problem when I first started following the Comcast forums.

Maybe a pm to ComcastAndrew, or some other mod?

Regular Contributor

good reasons rick, my question was more directed at those that seem very unhappy.

@RickGr4 wrote:

BB,

I have some very valid reasons for staying with Comcast:

1. The internet has been very fast and VERY reliable. My GF is a government employee and often works from home. We MUST have reliable and fast internet.
2. A satellite dish would need to go on the front of our house and it would be very visible. My GF continues to poo poo that idea.
3. If we switched to satellite, I would need to run a new home run for my modem. It can be done but it would involve removing vinyl siding. Yes, I have people that can do it...
4. As I have stated in this forum before, my X1 works well. Maybe the network guys in the Twin Cities REALLY know what they are doing but I have not experienced most of the "X1 bugs" that others have suffered through. I can't believe I am hearing myself say this but our X1 service has been very reliable.
5. We have come to like the multi tuner recording capabilities X1 and we like the features of the web style guide.
6. We have been able to renegotiate our pricing a couple different times so we could keep our monthly bill tolerable.
7. Many of X1 glaring feature omissions (such as reminders) don't mean anything to us.

Those are the reasons we haven't canceled. Yes, I am aware we could always drop cable and keep internet but my GF isn't real excited about that.

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

AEN.png        MAD.

Valued Contributor

I have to say X1 is the BEST so far what they ever came up with - The old junk of Scientific Atlanta boxes and the outdated GUI was one REASON i went away from Xfinity/Comcast for a long time. I went to DirecTV for the last 5 yrs due to the awsome technology they use. Now that X1 is out - I moved back .. YES there is space for improvement on the X1 Platform but it's NOT THAT BAD and it looks clean and my system is very stable - have it now since 2 month and I'm happy.  

Problem Solver

@strotti wrote:

I have to say X1 is the BEST so far what they ever came up with - The old junk of Scientific Atlanta boxes and the outdated GUI was one REASON i went away from Xfinity/Comcast for a long time. I went to DirecTV for the last 5 yrs due to the awsome technology they use. Now that X1 is out - I moved back .. YES there is space for improvement on the X1 Platform but it's NOT THAT BAD and it looks clean and my system is very stable - have it now since 2 month and I'm happy.  

Good point, I don't think I could make myself use a SARA or i-Guide box again....