Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Diamond Problem Solver
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I have one addition to the new playback controls. The time stamp of the cursor is not there like it is in the old controls.  I think this would be of some use and should be restored  I see the time stamp on my progress bar cursor when I RW or FF on live TV but not on recordings.

BJ.......I wanted to delete my reply as it was redundant after reading Rusty's reply but there is no way to delete so I just removed my reply text.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastGwen wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

DVR in game highlights is now not working at all! Smiley Sad

Will this be fixed soon?

Hi,

When you say that it's not working at all, what are you experiencing? Are you seeing the "Highlights" button near the playback controls in any of your recordings?

Thanks,

Gwen

Hi ComcastGwen,

I just replied to your message.

But basically the in game hightlights option is missing from some but not all recorded games like for example it's missing from the Eagles VS Steelers games from a few weeks ago. The strange thing is it was working for a while but then stopped at some point as in the highlights button went missing from the bottom bar.

Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

Can I have an update to go back to the old menu on the TV and On-Demand.  I could actually see that menu without having to walk up to the TV.  This new fancy menu just has too much junk on it, I just want to know what's on each channel.  The old menu was easy to see, easy to use, and efficient.

Most Valued Poster

@hage1 wrote:

Can I have an update to go back to the old menu on the TV and On-Demand.  I could actually see that menu without having to walk up to the TV.  This new fancy menu just has too much junk on it, I just want to know what's on each channel.  The old menu was easy to see, easy to use, and efficient.

Have you tried the new Comcast Labs feature to make the text larger?  Xfinitly button> Settings (the little gear icon) >Comcast Labs.  Its in response to all the complaints just like yours that we have made for 2 years. I am using the largest setting and its oh so much better but only affects the guide itself.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Welcome to the new "Upcoming X1 Updates" thread. Please check here for lists of upcoming updates to the X1 product, posted by an official Comcast employee.

The updates here will be new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other backend issues.

Please see below for links to updates from previous months:

July 2014 Updates

August 2014 Updates

September 2014 Updates

October 2014 Updates

January 2015 Updates + ability to view completed recordings if services are down, Spanish language indicators in search results and ability to immediately sync old list of scheduled recordings to new DVR (in the event of a DVR box swap). "What's New" Video!

February 2015 Updates 

April 2015 Updates + Spanish Menu Language

May 2015 Updates

June 2015 Updates + ability to set recordings to "Stop" 1, 5 and 30 minutes late

July 2015 Updates

August 2015 Updates

October 2015 Updates

November 2015 Updates

Highlights from 2015

2016 Beginning of the Year Updates + New X1 Tips in Settings>Help>Tips & Tricks, Auto Play Next Episode in Comcast Labs, Role added to "Appearing In" row on actors' pages.

April and May 2016 Updates

Also, lookout for new and exciting experimental features that you can opt into in Comcast Labs.

Thank you!

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/new-this-month-on-x1-making-the-user-experience-more-str...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

You'll find highlights from our most recent releases here.

Also, if you have not yet seen the highlights from our summer releases, you can find them here.

Thanks,

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi everyone,

Also, if you have not yet seen the highlights from our summer releases, you can find them here.

Thanks,

Gwen

Thanks Gwen!! I am already enjoying many of these features! great job as always!

Regular Contributor

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Gwen

I'm lovin' it!

Expert

I have a suggestion for some changes. Please pass it along to allow customers to be able to view the guide along with a nice sized box to be able to see the picture while being on the main guide. I would size it close to how it is sized on the legacy equipment.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

It's not the best thing in the world, but you can get that with the B button today, if you were not aware.
Diamond Problem Solver

@jweaver0312 wrote:
I have a suggestion for some changes. Please pass it along to allow customers to be able to view the guide along with a nice sized box to be able to see the picture while being on the main guide. I would size it close to how it is sized on the legacy equipment.

Use the right arrow during live tv and your guide will be on the right hand side.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

I would like it beter with the bigger guide.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Press B.
Expert

I pressed B and the window that comes up, I would agree to say its not the best becuase in my opinion, its too smaller than it should be.

Regular Contributor

Yeah just an existing option.
Most Valued Poster

@jweaver0312 wrote:

I pressed B and the window that comes up, I would agree to say its not the best becuase in my opinion, its too smaller than it should be.

====

The idea behind pressing 'b' is to see the program while perusing the guide. If the live tv window was any bigger it would cover up  much of the guide and its not like we stay on the guide to 'watch' the  program in that smaller window......lol. We have used 'b' for a long time and find it very useful so give it some time and I think you will find it valuable.

Diamond Problem Solver
Regular Contributor

Yep, Teri the "B" is OK but I use the "C" a lot more during football season and the "D" makes for a fast delete function.

One MORE time - If I can back up live TV and view the start of a show (within certain time limitations) why can't Comcast allow the buffer recording we used so often in  the past ?

Cloud, Smoud no more excuses - the people have spoken.

Inquiring minds want to know - Film at 11.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yep, Teri the "B" is OK but I use the "C" a lot more during football season and the "D" makes for a fast delete function.

One MORE time - If I can back up live TV and view the start of a show (within certain time limitations) why can't Comcast allow the buffer recording we used so often in  the past ?

Cloud, Smoud no more excuses - the people have spoken.

=========

We use 'c' a lot during baseball and football and of course 'd' but the ghost delete exists regardless of how we choose to delete. I use 'b' primarily when my hubby thinks he is going to miss something critical in the 30 seconds I go to the guide during a show AND since he can still RW live tv when channel has not been changed..... " me thinks he protests too much " but when he clears his throat I hit 'b' and he is all better. I like using 'b' but sometimes I just don't always think about it when I am by myself.

Nothing upsets me quite as much as losing the recording buffer. Wait until Cox Contour (clone of X1) gets the cloud and loses the buffer......they will be screaming just like we do.

"CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON" 😎😇🙃😲☮

Expert

I find it the worst. On legacy boxes the nicely sized live tv box was no problem for anyone. No it would not cover up too much of the guide. It needs to be properly sized like how good the legacy boxes let you see a nice sized guide along with a nice sized live tv box at the same time.

Most Valued Poster

@jweaver0312 wrote:

I find it the worst. On legacy boxes the nicely sized live tv box was no problem for anyone. No it would not cover up too much of the guide. It needs to be properly sized like how good the legacy boxes let you see a nice sized guide along with a nice sized live tv box at the same time.

AT least we can now change the text size of the guide which helps a lot.

Most Valued Poster

DVR Scheduled times totally messed up as of Nov 1 2016

There was an update 10/31/16   159.05 and OMG......What the heck? I was looking at my scheduled recordings list and MANY/MOST of the programs are now showing start times of :59 of the hour or :29 after the hour and ending 3 minutes after the hour or half hour and I mean MANY/MOST and every  evening of scheduled programs. I have never used the 'auto pad' option in Labs and yes I verified . The guide itself shows the correct start and end times. This is making a check for tuner usage/ conflicts extremely difficult.

FYI......the dvr manager cloud schedule on line shows the correct start and stop times

I don't like to post duplicates but am going to in this case...here and DVR thread

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Scheduled times totally messed up as of Nov 1 2016

Ditto ... what happened & why ???   ugh ...

Regular Contributor

No problem here but I have auto pad enabled so this behavior is normal for me and expected as well as wanted. 

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

No problem here but I have auto pad enabled so this behavior is normal for me and expected as well as wanted. 

===

Happy for you BUT IT IS A REAL PROBLEM for the vast majority as we don't want autopad turned on without our consent and it does not show up as turned on in Labs. It has created a real nightmare.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

===

Happy for you BUT IT IS A REAL PROBLEM for the vast majority as we don't want autopad turned on without our consent and it does not show up as turned on in Labs. It has created a real nightmare.

Agreed !!  What a mess ....

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

===

The weird thing about this (so far) is that the Recording I watched right now actually didn't START early vs the Listing showing it was Padded by 1 min to Start time. Not sure yet about the actual END time but will post back when done watching it.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

===

The weird thing about this (so far) is that the Recording I watched right now actually didn't START early vs the Listing showing it was Padded by 1 min to Start time. Not sure yet about the actual END time but will post back when done watching it.

Did you try clicking rewind after you started it? THe way pad works is it records that extra minute but when you start the program it queues it up to the normal start time so you don't have to watch the extra minute. You may not have noticed this. Try clicking rewind after you start the padded recording. 

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

===

Did you try clicking rewind after you started it? THe way pad works is it records that extra minute but when you start the program it queues it up to the normal start time so you don't have to watch the extra minute. You may not have noticed this. Try clicking rewind after you start the padded recording. 

Oh, you're RIGHT ...  yes, it is in fact padded ...  (I never used that feature & like OP mentioned, have the option OFF).

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

===

Oh, you're RIGHT ...  yes, it is in fact padded ...  (I never used that feature & like OP mentioned, have the option OFF).

You are so very welcome! Happy to provide insight on the feature!

Most Valued Poster

The problem is not with how auto pad works for those who use and like it. The issue is that it has been universally applied to all users without consent or request. It  seriously messes up the scheduled list and plays with the tuner usage and conflicts show up where there really aren't any. I am re-scheduling programs like crazy on cable channels to get them out of the auto pad lineup. This is crazy. Where are our Comcast Reps???? We need to know what the heck happened and we to know now.  I can hope can't I??   😭😒🤔😩😰🙏🙏🙏

Regular Contributor

sure Terri, I get that but Cody was asking about how it worked. So, I was helping him or her. 

Regular Contributor

It begs the question about the QA on these updates.  This should have been totally obvious to the testing group, IMHO.

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

sure Terri, I get that but Cody was asking about how it worked. So, I was helping him or her. 

We actually set it up for Padding in the 1st week of our X1 experience - but HATED it so we turned it OFF.  Thanks though.

Valued Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

It begs the question about the QA on these updates.  This should have been totally obvious to the testing group, IMHO.

Nothing is ever totally obvious to the Comcast testing group... or any group at Comcast. If a company that had competition release products as buggy as Comcast's they would be out of business in no time...

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

==

thats fine

Regular Contributor

I just ran a TEST ... I deleted a scheduled Series that was to start today & re-added the Series.  The PADDING occurs automatically now, even though turned OFF.  (I guess that's what the OP was saying - I just confirmed that myself.)   COMCAST, PLEEEEEASE remove this "feature" you forced on us last night !!!  Thanks for listening.

Most Valued Poster

Cody...apparently Comcast is turning a blind eye. The very least they could do is recognize that there is a terrible BUG and its creating havoc out here in user land . I don't know what they were trying to update last night but they sure made a holy mess.
Regular Contributor

Yet both XFINITY TV app and XFINITY TV Remote apps in iPhone and iPad display the show 's starting and ending times as normal.
Problem Solver

@Bowmanal wrote:
Yet both XFINITY TV app and XFINITY TV Remote apps in iPhone and iPad display the show 's starting and ending times as normal.

Correct, because Comcast has yet to implement Cloud DVR AutoPadding. See this post for their explanation. Just another inconsistent experience brought to you by Comcast.

Regular Contributor

I was a computer hardware, software, and support guy for 50 years.  I wrote code all of my adult life.  There is a concept in software development known as regression testing.  That means that you have a large suite of test cases set up for a particular piece of software that you are modifying.   That means that you do not just test the code that you changed to see if that code works.  You must also do the regression testing by running the entire suite of test cases to ensure that your modifications have not broken the functionality of any other features of the software.  It often seems that Comcast developers simply do NOT do any such thing as regression testing.

Most Valued Poster

@Bowmanal wrote:

I was a computer hardware, software, and support guy for 50 years.  I wrote code all of my adult life.  There is a concept in software development known as regression testing.  That means that you have a large suite of test cases set up for a particular piece of software that you are modifying.   That means that you do not just test the code that you changed to see if that code works.  You must also do the regression testing by running the entire suite of test cases to ensure that your modifications have not broken the functionality of any other features of the software.  It often seems that Comcast developers simply do NOT do any such thing as regression testing.

==

One of the things that we find most often is that they do indeed break something when they update something else. I remember regression testing very well when I did network engineering  on a team designing software which we turned over to Bell Labs to code. We did beta and regression testing a lot. This time Comcast has really messed up.

Expert
Moved:

Expert

@Cody21 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

We actually set it up for Padding in the 1st week of our X1 experience - but HATED it so we turned it OFF.  Thanks though.

likewise I turned off the comcast lab's padding but only because the cloud copy wasn't padded too so any viewing of recorded assets on the cloud were 'cut off'.

Contributor

hi everyone,

so today (11/01/2016) i turned on the tv and noticed some things.

1. everything was automatically autopaded. i read this in the forum and found my tv was included, o far it hasnt aused any problems but im not looking forwatd to the nights when i have 4 shows that start at once and 3 people watching a different tv (tuner). hope this isnt permanent.

2. their is a new on screen controless menue that pops up when fast forwarding/pausing/etc. it has a nice minimalist design that i kinda like. on the left it the CC/SAP options in the midle is pause/skip to begining and on the left is a Next menue that pulls up the list of episodes and lets you select the next one.

3. Netflix is in Labs now so that will be neet to try out.

seems nice, except for the padding thing.

anything i missed, guys?

Regular Contributor

@RachelS2 wrote:

hi everyone,

so today (11/01/2016) i turned on the tv and noticed some things.

1. everything was automatically autopaded. i read this in the forum and found my tv was included, o far it hasnt aused any problems but im not looking forwatd to the nights when i have 4 shows that start at once and 3 people watching a different tv (tuner). hope this isnt permanent.

2. their is a new on screen controless menue that pops up when fast forwarding/pausing/etc. it has a nice minimalist design that i kinda like. on the left it the CC/SAP options in the midle is pause/skip to begining and on the left is a Next menue that pulls up the list of episodes and lets you select the next one.

3. Netflix is in Labs now so that will be neet to try out.

seems nice, except for the padding thing.

anything i missed, guys?

yes, Rachel, these are the updates I saw too and they made me very happy!!! I get some others are not happy but each is entitled to their opinions. I believe auto pad ensures that there will not be conflicts created by the autopad. I further believe if those that are not happy would just let the auto pad do its job they will see that none of their recordings fail to occur. I also believe that is the entire concept of auto pad in that it helps to not miss parts of shows while not creating additional conflicts, but one of the comcast reps can confirm this when they have a moment. I do understand though the frustration of those that have chosen to not enable the feature and it suddenly being enabled without their choice. My point is maybe if you give autopad a chance you might find it to be very useful!

Expert
Moved:

Baiting Post Removed from the forums per the Forum Guidelines. You can review the guidelines at this link: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Bronze Problem Solver

@lightstorm22 wrote:
Enough already. It makes no difference whatsoever how eternally happy these features make anyone. If Comcast takes things out of labs and forces them on us, fine. If they take them out of labs and make them optional, fine. But nothing in labs should be enabled for anyone ever unless they choose to enable them. And nothing in labs that is OFF should be on for anyone ever. It sounds like Rachel got auto padding and new playback controls even though they're disabled. I have been hit by the auto pad bug too. Whether I want it or not, hate or not, give it a chance or not, I have it turned OFF so the plain and simple fact is that it's a BUG that should be fixed.

Or comcast turned auto pad on as the default and forgot to remove it from the labs menu. It seems odd that the advanced controls went active and was removed from the labs menu about the same time people are seeing the effects of auto pad.