Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

No, Comcast would NEVER admit there is a problem with the platform. They might occasionaly admit bugs but they would never admit anything more than that. Prove me wrong...

I never once said problems don't exist. What I did say is I know what to look for and I know what it takes to make X1 work... And I know it CAN BE DONE and it already is being done for a VAST MAJORITY of Comcast customers. Like I just said, I know why my X1 works and 95% of it is signal related which if there is a problem it can almost always be fixed.

Have you ever checked your own signal levels??? Have you ever posted them here for veteran forum members to analyze? Which X1 RF amp do you have? You say you have had seven techs out (which I find hard to believe)... Lets see your signal numbers....








Gold Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

My point here is very simple. If my X1 didn't work when it does for the vast majority of other people, I would spend my time trying to figure out why it doesn't work me and learn to make the corrections. Then I would pass the corrections along to others in order to help them.

Help is out there. The information exists. You just need to be resourceful enough to find it.

The last thing I would do is accept poor service from a company like Comcast for months then complain in forums and passively wait for help to arrive...

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

RickGr4,

Here’s the data I know of, any light you or anyone can shed would be much appreciated.
The techs have installed a couple different things outside the house, but I don’t know the details. I believe something signal related up on the pole, because I’m first in line off the node and apparently the signal was too strong for the internet, as well as possibly an amp in the box attached to the house.
PPC model AD-48150400F2ES power supply inside, attached to an unused cable jack (power to the amplifier outside the house)?
1 PX013ANM dvr     V3.0   BOOTR: 3_12    version PX013AN_2.0.2p12s1_PRODHYBse    date 7-21-2015
4 PR150BNM satellite boxes
Downstream Received Power 1.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 38.5 TenthdB
Upstream Power: 48.3 TenthdBmV
 
I guess I can track this over time and see if there are any fluctuations.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

That is the model number of the power supply for the amp, not the amp itself.

Your upstream is technically within spec but it is near the border and higher than I would accept.

Find the model number for the actual amp itself. I have a few thoughts ...

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@RickGr4 wrote:

That is the model number of the power supply for the amp, not the amp itself.

Your upstream is technically within spec but it is near the border and higher than I would accept.

Find the model number for the actual amp itself. I have a few thoughts ...


I assume this is it...

PPC Entry Series

EVO1-5-U/U

Forward Gain: 0db, 54-1002 MHz

Reverse Gain: 0db, 5-42 MHz

 

Thanks!

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

The good news is you probably have the correct amp. The bad news is your upstream is rather high considering you do have the correct amp.

Normally when I have encountered situations like this there was something wrong with the "drop" which is the line that leads up to your house or building. You may have mentioned it before but what kind of house are you living in??? Single family home? Townhouse? Condo? Apartment?

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@RickGr4 wrote:

The good news is you probably have the correct amp. The bad news is your upstream is rather high considering you do have the correct amp.

Normally when I have encountered situations like this there was something wrong with the "drop" which is the line that leads up to your house or building. You may have mentioned it before but what kind of house are you living in??? Single family home? Townhouse? Condo? Apartment?


SIngle family, and I'm almost positive they replaced the drop when I was having the internet issues, last October.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

The good news is you probably have the correct amp. The bad news is your upstream is rather high considering you do have the correct amp.

Normally when I have encountered situations like this there was something wrong with the "drop" which is the line that leads up to your house or building. You may have mentioned it before but what kind of house are you living in??? Single family home? Townhouse? Condo? Apartment?


SIngle family, and I'm almost positive they replaced the drop when I was having the internet issues, last October.


 

I would see if it's possible to home run your outlets ( there has to be splitters somewhere, you have a 5 port amp and at least 5 pieces of equipment) and see if your connections improve. Also, if you are first coming out of the node, your upstream would be higher.


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

This is so difficult to listen to.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

TCTC -

 

I only have one arris x1 box in carmichael, california. Similarly to rick, I have not had a tech out here in at least a couple years.

 


@tctc wrote:

 

brandonbob2376, sbudaj, RickGr4,

You've probably listed it somewhere here before, but if you don't mind, can you please list out your equipment?   (Not the tech specifics, I don't think I should have to know anything about what box I have or what version of anything I have, that's someone else's job.  But just what do you have as far as number of boxes.)

I have 1 DVR and 4 sattelite boxes.  (Northern CA area, although that should also not be relevant.)

 

I'm curious if maybe folks that have issues have a different ratio of sattelite to main boxes.

 

RickGR4, I may actually be willing to pay more to get 3 of the DVR boxes, or whatever it takes to get rid of the headaches.  But having to do that to make it work, is not "no problem with the platform".  If the average person has one main box and up to whatever number Comcast says is the limit for sattelite boxes, then the platform should work flawlessy with that configuration as well.


 

 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I have lost track of who said what but I think this was from Beowolf: "My system has always had all of the slow problems.  Delayed response, reboots needed every few days, random freezes, blacked out guide listings, uncontrollable rewind, random skips to live when watching buffer, and endless stream of platform glitches.  I've had techs out here maybe 7 times.  They say the signal is fine, that's how the platform is.  Wish I lived whereever you are, X1 is like going back to dial up internet after having DSL for 10 years."

 

That is me too in a nutshell here in N. Virginia but I have not had techs out here to check the signal because I will take it to the bank that its the platform instabiltiy at fault. There are many of us who report of the slowness and glitchiness with screens and blackouts and FF or RW hard to stop,etc and there is no way I believe its the signal. It was so slow and uncooperative  last week that we played DVDs to relieve stress.  Two specifics: last week (Thur or Fri) every few minutes the channel would freeze up and then pop up message 'sorry cannot tune to that channel right now' ( or something like that) and it would go to 'last channel' which in  turn would do the same thing and back and forth it went like that for hours. I never touched it during all that time.  And: I have had 1.56.02 for about a week but last week the box rebooted itself several times during the daytime and changed nothing.  Everytime it rebooted some function would screw up and I gave up trying to document it. Other strange things have happened too but I just don't have the 'breath' to talk about it all. Its been a real MESS for about a month.

 

I own a smart phone but I'll be darned if I should have to use it as a workaround for a platform I pay $200 a month for. If the Cloud is somehow responsible then we should have the option to GET OFF IT. I don't need or want it. What I do want is for the platform to do what its supposed to do and  be stable.

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

im not sure where to post this so that a comcast tech sees it and hopefully is able to respond.

there are 2 really annoying dvr  issues i'm having with the x1 platform box. is comcast aware of these (how could they NOT be?) and any idea if they will be fixed soon?

 

1) the dvr will not record a repeat if a show within a certain time period of that same exact episode. you can set it for both, and it'll look like it is set, but at some point, a few minutes or hours or by the next day, the dvr automatically cancels one of the recordings if the shows description is exactly the same! 

 

example: i record 'days of our lives' at noon on nbc. it is now repeated at 8pm on POPTV. this is GREAT, because our philadelphia nbc affiliate breaks in with local philly "news" for the dumbest reasons A LOT,  and we frequently miss some or all of our show, so being able to have that extra 8 pm recording of the that days same exact episode to watch comes in very handy. can't this very annoying issue be fixed?

 

 

2) when i scroll throgh my 'scheduled recordings' in my dvr and i want to cancel a bunch of pre-set recordings (say, of old sitcom episodes where i only want certain episodes but not all.) i like to go through a few days at a time and see what i have scheduled and delete what i don't want to record,  and most if the time when you hit 'cancel' on an episode the box on the screen does pop up and lets you know that it was cancelled BUT the screen automatically shoots back up to the very top so you have to scroll all the way down to where you were.

 

i have a lot set to record, so this is extremely annoying to do constantly. sometimes you can get away with cancelling 2, maybe 3 recordings, but then it starts up with doing it after you cancel every single recording again. any fix for this coming?

 

apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this, and thanks in advance

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Ferdinando1 wrote:

im not sure where to post this so that a comcast tech sees it and hopefully is able to respond.

there are 2 really annoying dvr  issues i'm having with the x1 platform box. is comcast aware of these (how could they NOT be?) and any idea if they will be fixed soon?

 

1) the dvr will not record a repeat if a show within a certain time period of that same exact episode. you can set it for both, and it'll look like it is set, but at some point, a few minutes or hours or by the next day, the dvr automatically cancels one of the recordings if the shows description is exactly the same! 

 

example: i record 'days of our lives' at noon on nbc. it is now repeated at 8pm on POPTV. this is GREAT, because our philadelphia nbc affiliate breaks in with local philly "news" for the dumbest reasons A LOT,  and we frequently miss some or all of our show, so being able to have that extra 8 pm recording of the that days same exact episode to watch comes in very handy. can't this very annoying issue be fixed?

 

 

2) when i scroll throgh my 'scheduled recordings' in my dvr and i want to cancel a bunch of pre-set recordings (say, of old sitcom episodes where i only want certain episodes but not all.) i like to go through a few days at a time and see what i have scheduled and delete what i don't want to record,  and most if the time when you hit 'cancel' on an episode the box on the screen does pop up and lets you know that it was cancelled BUT the screen automatically shoots back up to the very top so you have to scroll all the way down to where you were.

 

i have a lot set to record, so this is extremely annoying to do constantly. sometimes you can get away with cancelling 2, maybe 3 recordings, but then it starts up with doing it after you cancel every single recording again. any fix for this coming?

 

apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this, and thanks in advance

 


I have never seen a Comcast tech read these forums 

If you mean a Comcast Rep then yes they do read/comment sometimes but can't really solve our problems. They do pass info to the technical folks but then there is this big black hole. Welcome to the crowd of disappointed users of a platform that has more bugs than the inside of an ant hill. We talk about feautures and failures on this thread all the time. If all we talked about were Upcoming Updates there would be dust on the thread.

 

Fixed soon? you_want_it_when.jpg

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

The volume of posts following my post about slow/no response is indicative of the scope of this problem in the forum community. Users who have no problems and tell the rest of us how error free their system is, are about as helpful as using athletes foot cream to cure a broken leg. Enjoy your error free X1 in your home town of Pleasantville. Be sure to let the rest of know when your world turns from black and white to color.

 

Every time I have investigated this problem in my area it turned out to be a cloud server problem not a signal issue. That is why it only happens here infrequently. My point is it shouldn't happen at all. It should be the responsibilty of Comcast to provide all equipment (including a signal amplifier if necessary) to insure their X1 equipment works properly.

 

As far as tech visits, anyone who has had multiple tech visits knows not all Comcast techs are created equal. Some are just contractors hired by Comcast to fill the gap. The guy they sent to install my new cable/telephony modem knew less about sttting it up than I did. Working people who have to lose job time/money  for a tech visit get my sympathy.

 

Excuse me,  the Selfarg in my X1 box (an early form of electron sorter used on our starships,(in France), is malfunctioning.

 

Conehead.png

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

In the interests of helping tctc and others, I feel I have to comment here. This is not to incite an argument, although I certainly would like to, but just to provide accurate information.

 

His downstream Rx level and SNR are perfect. You can't ask for more than that. His upstream levels are not near the border and are well within spec. If his X1 box is presumably bonding to 3 or 4 upstream channels, then the max Tx is 51 dBmV, and he is 3 below that. If Comcast disables upstream bonding on X1 boxes, which is also possible, then that max jumps to 57.

 

Also, if he was the first house off the node, his upstream would not be higher, it would be lower. The stronger the signal, the lower the Tx level, since it does not have to transmit as much to get back to the CMTS at the configured receive level of the upstream channel (usually 0). In other words, more attentuation (from longer distance or additional splits) means higher Tx. So being close to the node would not cause higher Tx levels, plus I'm sure the house would have an appropriate tap value to get him to the proper levels of Comcast field design.

 

You also can't have 5 home runs. By definition, you can only have 1, assuming it means an outlet coming off a single split from the side of the house. In the past that was reserved for a cable modem or MTA, but nowadays we know X1 needs just as relaiable a signal. So you have one line coming into the side of the house, from which things get split. Having 5 home runs is no different than just splitting it 5+ ways, which puts him back where he already is now. Unless you mean to have all of the lines run from the side of the house, split and amplified there, as opposed to having it split elsewhere inside the house by the customer, potentially more times than necessary. In either case, there is only so much signal to work with, and his signal (as far as levels are concerned) sounds fine based on what he is reporting and the 7 tech visits to his house.

 

Don't worry tctc, there are bugs, no denying it. Not everyone experiences them, but a lot of us do. Some more than others, some less. I've had a good X1 experience for the past year or two (or however long its been since I got it), and can only complain about lag and responsiveness sometimes (much worse the past 2 to 3 weeks) and the rare missed recording. My downstream levels are a little on the low side, but my wiring was configured by a Comcast technician, and they are not low enough to cause issues, regardless of what some here may say. I have an ARRIS XG1 hub, 1 RNG150 companion, and 2 Xi3 companions. It's a really nice system, just very complicated and we experience the result of that, and the $10 per month per companion box hurts. I do have to say I was very impressed with the Xi3 self install kit. Seriously, it was really high quality and I appreciate things like that. Well done there Comcast.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@BeowolfJones wrote:

The volume of posts following my post about slow/no response is indicative of the scope of this problem in the forum community. Users who have no problems and tell the rest of us how error free their system is, are about as helpful as using athletes foot cream to cure a broken leg. Enjoy your error free X1 in your home town of Pleasantville. Be sure to let the rest of know when your world turns from black and white to color.

 

Every time I have investigated this problem in my area it turned out to be a cloud server problem not a signal issue. That is why it only happens here infrequently. My point is it shouldn't happen at all. It should be the responsibilty of Comcast to provide all equipment (including a signal amplifier if necessary) to insure their X1 equipment works properly.

 

As far as tech visits, anyone who has had multiple tech visits knows not all Comcast techs are created equal. Some are just contractors hired by Comcast to fill the gap. The guy they sent to install my new cable/telephony modem knew less about sttting it up than I did. Working people who have to lose job time/money  for a tech visit get my sympathy.

 

Excuse me,  the Selfarg in my X1 box (an early form of electron sorter used on our starships,(in France), is malfunctioning.

 

 


PREACH my friend!

Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@lightstorm22 wrote:

In the interests of helping tctc and others, I feel I have to comment here. This is not to incite an argument, although I certainly would like to, but just to provide accurate information.

 

His downstream Rx level and SNR are perfect. You can't ask for more than that. His upstream levels are not near the border and are well within spec. If his X1 box is presumably bonding to 3 or 4 upstream channels, then the max Tx is 51 dBmV, and he is 3 below that. If Comcast disables upstream bonding on X1 boxes, which is also possible, then that max jumps to 57.

 

Also, if he was the first house off the node, his upstream would not be higher, it would be lower. The stronger the signal, the lower the Tx level, since it does not have to transmit as much to get back to the CMTS at the configured receive level of the upstream channel (usually 0). In other words, more attentuation (from longer distance or additional splits) means higher Tx. So being close to the node would not cause higher Tx levels, plus I'm sure the house would have an appropriate tap value to get him to the proper levels of Comcast field design.

 

You also can't have 5 home runs. By definition, you can only have 1, assuming it means an outlet coming off a single split from the side of the house. In the past that was reserved for a cable modem or MTA, but nowadays we know X1 needs just as relaiable a signal. So you have one line coming into the side of the house, from which things get split. Having 5 home runs is no different than just splitting it 5+ ways, which puts him back where he already is now. Unless you mean to have all of the lines run from the side of the house, split and amplified there, as opposed to having it split elsewhere inside the house by the customer, potentially more times than necessary. In either case, there is only so much signal to work with, and his signal (as far as levels are concerned) sounds fine based on what he is reporting and the 7 tech visits to his house.

 

Don't worry tctc, there are bugs, no denying it. Not everyone experiences them, but a lot of us do. Some more than others, some less. I've had a good X1 experience for the past year or two (or however long its been since I got it), and can only complain about lag and responsiveness sometimes (much worse the past 2 to 3 weeks) and the rare missed recording. My downstream levels are a little on the low side, but my wiring was configured by a Comcast technician, and they are not low enough to cause issues, regardless of what some here may say. I have an ARRIS XG1 hub, 1 RNG150 companion, and 2 Xi3 companions. It's a really nice system, just very complicated and we experience the result of that, and the $10 per month per companion box hurts. I do have to say I was very impressed with the Xi3 self install kit. Seriously, it was really high quality and I appreciate things like that. Well done there Comcast.


FINALLY a completely fact-based post in this thread! I never thought the day would come!

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

156.02 8/24/2015//2.02p15s1

 

two new problems

 

fast forward 3x+ to end puts you back in guide if that is where you started. the option to delete is not offered.

 

when you start watching an asset from recordings menu, and delete it at end, your recordings is not 'updated' and new recordings or inprogress recordings are not shown unless you 'exit' and then navigate back to recordings.

 

continued problem if not worse than it was 

when you begin playing an asset if often has the time progress bar that will not go away in a few seconds nor will "UP" dismiss it. Hitting "exit" often stops the asset rather than removes the progress bar if hit after the normal time the bar should have disappeared on its on.

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

you might have figured this out already for the annoying time progress bar issue, but what i do is hit 'info' and after that box comes up hit 'exit.' makes the time bar go away without exiting the program you are watching. still a pain in the hiney though.

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@lightstorm22 wrote:

 

You also can't have 5 home runs. By definition, you can only have 1, assuming it means an outlet coming off a single split from the side of the house. In the past that was reserved for a cable modem or MTA, but nowadays we know X1 needs just as relaiable a signal. So you have one line coming into the side of the house, from which things get split. Having 5 home runs is no different than just splitting it 5+ ways, which puts him back where he already is now. Unless you mean to have all of the lines run from the side of the house, split and amplified there, as opposed to having it split elsewhere inside the house by the customer, potentially more times than necessary. In either case, there is only so much signal to work with, and his signal (as far as levels are concerned) sounds fine based on what he is reporting and the 7 tech visits to his house.


What Andrew was referring to was a home run to each cable outlet from the central location ( usually attic  but not always ).

 

Most electricians/technicians wire cable installations to save money...  run one feed from POE to central location ( attic )...then run one wire to first outlet, from first outlet run another wire to second outlet, and on and on..   they use splitters within the cable outlets to extend the signal...   this adds more to signal loss when done this way....

 

As Andrew stated, if you were to run all home runs from attic location to each cable outlet you would bypass those splitters that may or may not be installed in the outlets...  this is providing that the zero loss amp is also located in the attic so that you "could" assign priority to the outlets as needed...

 

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

156.02 8/24/2015//2.02p15s1

 

two new problems

 

fast forward 3x+ to end puts you back in guide if that is where you started. the option to delete is not offered.

 

when you start watching an asset from recordings menu, and delete it at end, your recordings is not 'updated' and new recordings or inprogress recordings are not shown unless you 'exit' and then navigate back to recordings.

 

continued problem if not worse than it was 

when you begin playing an asset if often has the time progress bar that will not go away in a few seconds nor will "UP" dismiss it. Hitting "exit" often stops the asset rather than removes the progress bar if hit after the normal time the bar should have disappeared on its on.

 


Have not had the pleasure of FF 3x to the end lately and now we won't

 

We deleted many shows over the weekend and it took over 24 hours for them to leave the recordings list. This puts the old 'double delete' issue in a brand new light. My husband was determined to do it over and over in as many ways as he could and was not happy when they still didn't go away. When you have multiple episodes of programs and the ones you have watched won't go away you have to keep a WRITTEN record of which ones have been watched...REALLY?

 

Progress bar still big issue

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Ferdinando1 wrote:

you might have figured this out already for the annoying time progress bar issue, but what i do is hit 'info' and after that box comes up hit 'exit.' makes the time bar go away without exiting the program you are watching. still a pain in the hiney though.


Thank you ....great new workaround. We seem to be in the workaround business don't we?

 

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

that's what they pay us for!😄


@TerriB wrote:

@Ferdinando1 wrote:

you might have figured this out already for the annoying time progress bar issue, but what i do is hit 'info' and after that box comes up hit 'exit.' makes the time bar go away without exiting the program you are watching. still a pain in the hiney though.


Thank you ....great new workaround. We seem to be in the workaround business don't we?

 


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@geek46 wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

 

You also can't have 5 home runs. By definition, you can only have 1, assuming it means an outlet coming off a single split from the side of the house. In the past that was reserved for a cable modem or MTA, but nowadays we know X1 needs just as relaiable a signal. So you have one line coming into the side of the house, from which things get split. Having 5 home runs is no different than just splitting it 5+ ways, which puts him back where he already is now. Unless you mean to have all of the lines run from the side of the house, split and amplified there, as opposed to having it split elsewhere inside the house by the customer, potentially more times than necessary. In either case, there is only so much signal to work with, and his signal (as far as levels are concerned) sounds fine based on what he is reporting and the 7 tech visits to his house.


What Andrew was referring to was a home run to each cable outlet from the central location ( usually attic  but not always ).

 

Most electricians/technicians wire cable installations to save money...  run one feed from POE to central location ( attic )...then run one wire to first outlet, from first outlet run another wire to second outlet, and on and on..   they use splitters within the cable outlets to extend the signal...   this adds more to signal loss when done this way....

 

As Andrew stated, if you were to run all home runs from attic location to each cable outlet you would bypass those splitters that may or may not be installed in the outlets...  this is providing that the zero loss amp is also located in the attic so that you "could" assign priority to the outlets as needed...

 

 


Roger that, and yeah that was one of the possibilities I mentioned he may have meant, I just said the side of the house instead of the attic.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Ferdinando1 wrote:

that's what they pay us for!😄


GOOD ONE!Smiley Happy
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

nightmare on MY street (sigh).

I previously posted here I was having the version 1 xg1 boxes changed out today by a technician. The appointment has been pending all week. I'm retired at home, etc. and no show no call. I called in and they said the notes say that I agreed to reschedule (a lie of course) at the midpoint of my appointment time (had to verify central time to eastern time logs). The supervisor I was finally transferred to said the technician didn't give a reschedule reason and that the call was not changed but cancelled. The supervisor told me I now have a guaranteed NEW call appointment for 9/9 in the afternoon when I will NOT be available. I was given an expedited dispatch ticket that requires the tech to 'come again' (never came) to my house today by 3:00 pm CT. I was told that by 2:00 I would hear from dispatch that the tech was coming (no such call received and it is now some 25 minutes past that time. I would note that the supervisor (service) did not know of the 6 tuner DVR at all, however did look it up and found the announcement from comcast.

I'll write again when I get more information or a service call.


they called yesterday and wanted to know why I was upgrading that x1 DVRs were all the same. I referred them to the forum announcement and directions to get 6 tuners working if you are using the ver 1 pace boxes. they came and swapped out to arris/motorola boxes one didn't work but he had a spare. All are working fine, have all 6 tuners.

 

buggy 6 tuners with 3 dvrs and cloud. I set up 18 recordings simultaneously on one of the DVRs, after 6 I got a notice on screen (i just let it set there) that one of the recordings would stop to record that, however in background I could see screen update a few seconds later that recording had begun. Ok that is just an aggravation and error message I know. however you could only tune to one of the 18 channels from the menu. no idea how it picked 'that' channel as being allowed to tune to live broadcast. got msg each time no tuner was available.

 

stopped one recording leaving one tuner open on one of the 3 boxes (no idea which had the free tuner). I could still not use that free tuner from the DVR I was on. I went to each of the others in turn and found one that could tune to a live channel. The DVRs should have access to any free tuner in the home (in my opinion).

 

additionally the cloud showed 18 recordings in process, but you can not stop a recording in progress on the xfinity TV app. why? 

 

The iphone 6+ should have the same menu as the ipad mini uses for the xfinity TV app. This was done via a port for beta testing for the TV show tracker app and it works perfectly. 

 

somehow during the swapout of the boxes the personally owned modem disappeared off the my account record. Called in they see the modem but not on my app record anymore

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Out of curiosity did you get the Arris MX011AN or the Arris AX013AN?

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Wouldn't 3 of the 6 tuner DVRs be 6 recordings each, but not 18 on one of them, not sharing tuners between them acting as one whole home DVR experience. They are each a hub, so that's not how it works, right?
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Rustyben,

 

I have an Arris DVR and can record 4 and watch a 5th. How many tuners do I really have? How do I get more information about getting a 6 tuner DVR and can you record 6 or 5 and watch 6th?

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@scjohnson312 wrote:

Out of curiosity did you get the Arris MX011AN or the Arris AX013AN?


 3 Arris MX011AN but on phone myAccount app shows MOTO(rola). 

 

responsiveness is better, guy put POE filters on back of 2 of them (I saw no moca in the living room where I was during his swapout). He said that is how we have to do multiple DVR installs to make it work. I told him whoever told him (contractor) about that was wrong. He removed the extra ones all ok now.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

 

I have an Arris DVR and can record 4 and watch a 5th. How many tuners do I really have? How do I get more information about getting a 6 tuner DVR and can you record 6 or 5 and watch 6th?


do the long exit, down down 2. hit enter on first diagnostic then when updates hit down. do you see all 6 tuners? The thread about 6 tuners says the pace v1 is only one that won't get 6 tuners.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@lightstorm22 wrote:
Wouldn't 3 of the 6 tuner DVRs be 6 recordings each, but not 18 on one of them, not sharing tuners between them acting as one whole home DVR experience. They are each a hub, so that's not how it works, right?

no the design is to be fully pooled. I was very surprised could not access the free tuner that happened to be on another DVR. Also tried live viewing during the 18 recordings each channel being recorded but 'local' DVR only allowed viewing on one of the recording channels. even with limitation of being new, I should have been able to tune at least to each one of the local DVR channels being recorded.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:
 3 Arris MX011AN but on phone myAccount app shows MOTO(rola). 

 


 

Rusty,

 

DOn't worry too much about that... my original Arris was and still is described as a MOTO unit !!!!



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:
Wouldn't 3 of the 6 tuner DVRs be 6 recordings each, but not 18 on one of them, not sharing tuners between them acting as one whole home DVR experience. They are each a hub, so that's not how it works, right?

no the design is to be fully pooled. I was very surprised could not access the free tuner that happened to be on another DVR. Also tried live viewing during the 18 recordings each channel being recorded but 'local' DVR only allowed viewing on one of the recording channels. even with limitation of being new, I should have been able to tune at least to each one of the local DVR channels being recorded.


Is that what Comcast said, and is it working that way? I guess it's possible, I'm just having a hard time believing that. I did not think hubs talked to other hubs, only that companions synced to hubs. Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong and learn something new Smiley Happy

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@lightstorm22 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:
Wouldn't 3 of the 6 tuner DVRs be 6 recordings each, but not 18 on one of them, not sharing tuners between them acting as one whole home DVR experience. They are each a hub, so that's not how it works, right?

no the design is to be fully pooled. I was very surprised could not access the free tuner that happened to be on another DVR. Also tried live viewing during the 18 recordings each channel being recorded but 'local' DVR only allowed viewing on one of the recording channels. even with limitation of being new, I should have been able to tune at least to each one of the local DVR channels being recorded.


Is that what Comcast said, and is it working that way? I guess it's possible, I'm just having a hard time believing that. I did not think hubs talked to other hubs, only that companions synced to hubs. Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong and learn something new Smiley Happy


I used the guide and hit record on one after another chans. only after the 6th did I get the msg that was then ignored by system as scheduler started the recording.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

So you started recording programs on 1 box, and when you got to the 7th recording it gave you an error, but it still recorded them? Crazy.

Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

1.56.03 09/09/2015.. nothing exciting to note as I have been having no problems
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

 

I have an Arris DVR and can record 4 and watch a 5th. How many tuners do I really have? How do I get more information about getting a 6 tuner DVR and can you record 6 or 5 and watch 6th?


do the long exit, down down 2. hit enter on first diagnostic then when updates hit down. do you see all 6 tuners? The thread about 6 tuners says the pace v1 is only one that won't get 6 tuners.


Yes I see all 6 tuners but does that mean I can now record more than 4 at a time? Excuse my lack of knowledge as to what all this means. Frankly I don't know how many tuners 'used' to show up there. Am I to understand that Comcast 'magically' added additional tuners on existing Arris boxes? How in the world would anyone know that unless they were on the forums? Have more recordable tuners is kind of a HUGE DEAL worthy of some kind of customer notification don't ya think? Bill insert? I am on paperless billiing. I am also signed up for all kinds of email  correspondence from Comcast. I get daily corporate announcements and sometimes it shows whats new in features/apps but not one thing about the addition of more tuners. I am totally baffled.

 

Found this update as of today but I had to look for it: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

 

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

 

I have an Arris DVR and can record 4 and watch a 5th. How many tuners do I really have? How do I get more information about getting a 6 tuner DVR and can you record 6 or 5 and watch 6th?


do the long exit, down down 2. hit enter on first diagnostic then when updates hit down. do you see all 6 tuners? The thread about 6 tuners says the pace v1 is only one that won't get 6 tuners.


Yes I see all 6 tuners but does that mean I can now record more than 4 at a time? Excuse my lack of knowledge as to what all this means. Frankly I don't know how many tuners 'used' to show up there. Am I to understand that Comcast 'magically' added additional tuners on existing Arris boxes? How in the world would anyone know that unless they were on the forums? Have more recordable tuners is kind of a HUGE DEAL worthy of some kind of customer notification don't ya think? Bill insert? I am on paperless billiing.

 

Found this update as of today but I had to look for it: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

 


yes, and 5 used to show up. the 6th was turned off in the firmware.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Rustyben,

 

I have an Arris DVR and can record 4 and watch a 5th. How many tuners do I really have? How do I get more information about getting a 6 tuner DVR and can you record 6 or 5 and watch 6th?


do the long exit, down down 2. hit enter on first diagnostic then when updates hit down. do you see all 6 tuners? The thread about 6 tuners says the pace v1 is only one that won't get 6 tuners.


Yes I see all 6 tuners but does that mean I can now record more than 4 at a time? Excuse my lack of knowledge as to what all this means. Frankly I don't know how many tuners 'used' to show up there. Am I to understand that Comcast 'magically' added additional tuners on existing Arris boxes? How in the world would anyone know that unless they were on the forums? Have more recordable tuners is kind of a HUGE DEAL worthy of some kind of customer notification don't ya think? Bill insert? I am on paperless billiing.

 

Found this update as of today but I had to look for it: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

 


yes, and 5 used to show up. the 6th was turned off in the firmware.


Help me out here. I had 5 tuners which meant I could record 4 and watch one. Now I have 6 and can record 6 or does it mean I record 5 and watch 1. Sorry to be such a pain.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Two articles dated today and one says record 4 and watch 1 and the other says record 'up to 6'  and nothing about how many you can record and still watch 1. And I wonder why I am confused. Is there something different about the any room dvr that I don't understand? I only have one DVR.

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

 

Smiley Sad

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@TerriB wrote:

Two articles dated today and one says record 4 and watch 1 and the other says record 'up to 6'  and nothing about how many you can record and still watch 1. And I wonder why I am confused. Is there something different about the any room dvr that I don't understand? I only have one DVR.

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

 

Smiley Sad


you can record 6 and watch one of the 6 although I can't determine which. I was already recording one show per scheduled series and set new recordings on 17 more. I tried to tune to each and every channel being recorded but it would not do it saying no tuner was available.

 

As I type this I realize I saw the familiar 'tuning to HD per your preferences' msg. I recorded as it turned out the lower channels. I realize now that I may have recorded SD chans and preferences kept me from tuning to one of those. retesting.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Two articles dated today and one says record 4 and watch 1 and the other says record 'up to 6'  and nothing about how many you can record and still watch 1. And I wonder why I am confused. Is there something different about the any room dvr that I don't understand? I only have one DVR.

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview

 

Smiley Sad


you can record 6 and watch one of the 6 although I can't determine which. I was already recording one show per scheduled series and set new recordings on 17 more. I tried to tune to each and every channel being recorded but it would not do it saying no tuner was available.

 

As I type this I realize I saw the familiar 'tuning to HD per your preferences' msg. I recorded as it turned out the lower channels. I realize now that I may have recorded SD chans and preferences kept me from tuning to one of those. retesting.


Ok so with 6 tuners I should be able to record 5 and watch 1 live program that is not being recorded...correct?  So many new shows coming on this month that we can use all we can get . Bottom line is that I now have one more recording tuner than I had before? Am I understanding it now? Still mad that Comcast did not directly tell customers of the additional tuner being turned on. You have  been very helpful.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Terri, you have it right.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@RobertWy wrote:

Terri, you have it right.


Took me a while! Thanks again

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri, you have it right.


Took me a while! Thanks again


yes you 'can' do that but you can also record 6 and watch one of them live or watch a recorded event. On demand takes a tuner at least for the DVRs it seems. Strange since I thought all on-demand now was IP streamed.

 

with 3 DVRs it seems the system won't record over 16 (instead of 18) even if done via the scheduler. one channel 'somewhere' in home will display on screen "...channelnamehere" with icon but won't change. the other shows recording is set but no idea what TV. 

 

for comcast red letter, i recorded in future at 10am  18 shows (one started at 9:48. all were accepted and listed. ideas? 

 

2nd issue the cloud dvr recorded only 4 of them this time usually it gets them all.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Just thought I'd let whomever cares to post on here that this is forum is a joke. If you look over the past couple of years at some of the topics that customers have either complained about or made suggestions it seems that Comcast always ignores them, particularly about the X1 system. Instead they always find someway to introduce something different to distract us from our concerns. Until the people in the corporate office address these issues and not have a regular employee feed us useless information these forums will serve no purpose to satisfy the customers.
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@blaze3410 wrote:
Just thought I'd let whomever cares to post on here that this is forum is a joke. If you look over the past couple of years at some of the topics that customers have either complained about or made suggestions it seems that Comcast always ignores them, particularly about the X1 system. Instead they always find someway to introduce something different to distract us from our concerns. Until the people in the corporate office address these issues and not have a regular employee feed us useless information these forums will serve no purpose to satisfy the customers.

this particular thread is about new features that are discussed. If you have a technical problem please open a new thread. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri, you have it right.


Took me a while! Thanks again


yes you 'can' do that but you can also record 6 and watch one of them live or watch a recorded event. On demand takes a tuner at least for the DVRs it seems. Strange since I thought all on-demand now was IP streamed.

 

with 3 DVRs it seems the system won't record over 16 (instead of 18) even if done via the scheduler. one channel 'somewhere' in home will display on screen "...channelnamehere" with icon but won't change. the other shows recording is set but no idea what TV. 

 

for comcast red letter, i recorded in future at 10am  18 shows (one started at 9:48. all were accepted and listed. ideas? 

 

2nd issue the cloud dvr recorded only 4 of them this time usually it gets them all.


Sometimes we watch a show we are recording and often we watch a recording while others are being recorded. Having one more tuner to catch another program is great. Maybe I won't have as many 'recording conflicts' this fall with all the new shows being added to the recordings of the return of the old ones. My middle name last year was 'other times'!

My head spins when you talk about 16/18 shows on multiple DVRs. I thought we were DVRheads but some of you have us beat to the max. Of course there are only two of us in this house now.

 

Onward!

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Wasn't the 6th tuner turned on to accomodate the Xi3 companion boxes, which steal a tuner from the hub? TerriB, you are lucky. I have two of the Xi3s, so I really only have 4 tuners I would think, unless I physically turn off the companions to free them up. I never record more than 2 shows at once though. I would lose another tuner, but my third companion is an RNG150.