Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

OK, so what happened to the FFWD Button?  We are NOW experiencing it actually going BACKWARDS when pressed.  I have to press the PG-UP first, then the FFWD seems to go in the right direction. Release version 88.1.1

==

The other day our remote would not FF or Rewind or change channels or anything including getting to settings to reset the box . Everything was frozen solid.  I had to pull the plug and reset manually and then all was well so it was not the remote causing the problem.

We had to resync all of our remotes last weekend.   (Is it just me or does everyone see gray on black text in these boxes after selecting to Quote??)

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

OK, so what happened to the FFWD Button?  We are NOW experiencing it actually going BACKWARDS when pressed.  I have to press the PG-UP first, then the FFWD seems to go in the right direction. Release version 88.1.1

==

The other day our remote would not FF or Rewind or change channels or anything including getting to settings to reset the box . Everything was frozen solid.  I had to pull the plug and reset manually and then all was well so it was not the remote causing the problem.

We had to resync all of our remotes last weekend.   (Is it just me or does everyone see gray on black text in these boxes after selecting to Quote??)

--

How do you resync a remote? Do you pair it again?

That blankety blank black 'box' where you can't see what you are typing happened with the forum redesign and Lithium has yet to fix it . Its really really annoying. In order to see what you are typing...go the bottom righ corner and drag the little triangle to get rid of the black. Do that as often as you need to. Ridiculous.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

==

--

That blankety blank black 'box' where you can't see what you are typing happened with the forum redesign and Lithium has yet to fix it . Its really really annoying. In order to see what you are typing...go the bottom righ corner and drag the little triangle to get rid of the black. Do that as often as you need to. Ridiculous.

Bizarre, thanks for the tip on the triangle.

Yes, re-paired them.  It worked almost automatically with a couple of them, the screen came up with the code entry. But one of them took several tries and we're still not sure what we did to get it to work, since it wasn't working immediately after entering the code.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

==

--

Bizarre, thanks for the tip on the triangle.

Yes, re-paired them.  It worked almost automatically with a couple of them, the screen came up with the code entry. But one of them took several tries and we're still not sure what we did to get it to work, since it wasn't working immediately after entering the code.

==

We could not try that because we could not get to any screen with the remote...none.

Expert

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

==

Your reply is slightly darker gray than the original post (quoted). Is that what you meant?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

UI update is being rolled out.  Information is courtesy of dslreports.com

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32203075-X1-UI-update

Everyone should have the new UI soon. Enjoy!

Regular Contributor

@RadTV wrote:

I have had it for some time now and love it!!! Great job, Comcast with updating the look and feel of the UI!!

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I have had it for some time now and love it!!! Great job, Comcast with updating the look and feel of the UI!!

===

I have had the update since Thanksgiving so its a bit late for the 'announcement '.  I posted back then trying to find out what the heck caused the smaller fonts/ features and no one seemed to know.  Why did we have to find out from DSL reports instead of Comcast?  I don't have a new box which some seem to think is necessary to get the new UI from reading DSL.

Updated UI usually means change/addition to options or  functionality/operation but all I see in the DSLreport screen shots is the smaller size for the category headers and playback controls which makes it harder to read. It took years to get an option for somewhat  larger guide font so now we have to deal with this size reduction? May I ask why you like the new look so much? What am I missing?

Regular Contributor

Sure, I am happy to provide more depth and analysis as to the new look and feel and why I like it. I like the new UI look and feel because it is way less obtrusive, the menus seem to load faster (however that might be my imagination), and less comes up on the screen when I push down on the remote.

Taking each of those reasons separately:

I like the non obtrusive because when I used to change channels a big giant logo of the name of the station came up in the middle of the screen. with this new UI it is gone.

I like the loading faster, if it is really happening, because it makes things more efficient. I see this most with the button that shows what recent channels and shows watched (last button). I also see it when I click to look at what was recorded last night (xfinity button & then "saved") This might be because of the smaller headers but loading faster makes me happy.

Lastly, I like the less amount of info that comes up when pushing down on the navigation button because before way too much was there and now it is more compact and efficient in my opinion.

I hope this analysis helps you to see why I like it better but I also respect you might not like it better.

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

I have had the update since Thanksgiving so its a bit late for the 'announcement '.  I posted back then trying to find out what the heck caused the smaller fonts/ features and no one seemed to know.  Why did we have to find out from DSL reports instead of Comcast?  I don't have a new box which some seem to think is necessary to get the new UI from reading DSL.

Updated UI usually means change/addition to options or  functionality/operation but all I see in the DSLreport screen shots is the smaller size for the category headers and playback controls which makes it harder to read. It took years to get an option for somewhat  larger guide font so now we have to deal with this size reduction? May I ask why you like the new look so much? What am I missing?

Frequent Visitor

When are you going to update X1 so that we can record from our phone or PC which we were able to do over a year ago before you took it away?

Regular Contributor

@nayaugpark wrote:

When are you going to update X1 so that we can record from our phone or PC which we were able to do over a year ago before you took it away?

...and how about the return of a true slo-mo and frame-by-frame advance?

Official Employee

Depends on the current court case follow along here
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Andrew,

And the return of true slo-mo and frame-by-frame advance?

Official Employee

Andrew,
And the return of true slo-mo and frame-by-frame advance?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I just don't get it.  Tooks years to make a font change?  This isn't a UI change.  The screen is still totally obstructed on any command.  There are no options to  set defaults to not show the progress bar, which I would turn on for play and pause and slow motion.

And I'm finding that after I hit skip forward or FF and want to remove all the clutter from the screen so I can actually see my program, that I now have to hit the up arrow twice instead of once.

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Sure, I am happy to provide more depth and analysis as to the new look and feel and why I like it. I like the new UI look and feel because it is way less obtrusive, the menus seem to load faster (however that might be my imagination), and less comes up on the screen when I push down on the remote.

I like the non obtrusive because when I used to change channels a big giant logo of the name of the station came up in the middle of the screen. with this new UI it is gone.

I like the loading faster, if it is really happening, because it makes things more efficient. I see this most with the button that shows what recent channels and shows watched (last button). I also see it when I click to look at what was recorded last night (xfinity button & then "saved") This might be because of the smaller headers but loading faster makes me happy.

Lastly, I like the less amount of info that comes up when pushing down on the navigation button because before way too much was there and now it is more compact and efficient in my opinion.

I hope this analysis helps you to see why I like it better but I also respect you might not like it better.

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

Regular Contributor

So the whole "patent expiring in" what was it, 2017 or 2018, thing was just some users guess?

I've always contended that it's a server bandwidth issue (which is also a lame excuse)...

Regular Contributor

All of the required technologies for a modern UI should have been licensed and added by now.

This can happen while a lawsuit is ongoing (if that actually has anything to do with the decisions to remove functionality).

buffer recording, buffer before TV turned on, slow motion, frame by frame, remote scheduling

Regular Contributor

Hmmm. I just tested it and once on the arrow removes the menu bar for me. Not sure why it doesn’t work for you.

@tctc wrote:

Yeah, I just don't get it.  Tooks years to make a font change?  This isn't a UI change.  The screen is still totally obstructed on any command.  There are no options to  set defaults to not show the progress bar, which I would turn on for play and pause and slow motion.

And I'm finding that after I hit skip forward or FF and want to remove all the clutter from the screen so I can actually see my program, that I now have to hit the up arrow twice instead of once.

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

Regular Contributor

The arrow removes the lower area and progress bar (that covers 42% of the screen), but the (completely unnecessary) giant circle (with the new tiny triangle or tiny ||, etc.) in the middle of the screen stays until a second press (most, but not all of the time)....

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Hmmm. I just tested it and once on the arrow removes the menu bar for me. Not sure why it doesn’t work for you.

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

Regular Contributor

Gotcha. Sorry thought you meant the bottom part of the screen info.
Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Pretty sure they both used to disappear on one press...

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Also pretty sure there is no lawsuit preventing Comcast from providing a UI that would allow those areas/icons to be cusomizable in size and display duration...

For example, I would set mine up to show the progress bar (much smaller), during FF/RW, so I could see where I'm at and what FF/RW speed I'm using.  But I would set it so that it didn't show the bar or the giant icon when I'm at play or pause or slow (but if you press the up arrow it would then display).

Regular Contributor

And I will not sue Comcast if they use that idea...

@tctc wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Also pretty sure there is no lawsuit preventing Comcast from providing a UI that would allow those areas/icons to be cusomizable in size and display duration...

For example, I would set mine up to show the progress bar (much smaller), during FF/RW, so I could see where I'm at and what FF/RW speed I'm using.  But I would set it so that it didn't show the bar or the giant icon when I'm at play or pause or slow (but if you press the up arrow it would then display).

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

Updated UI usually means change/addition to options or  functionality/operation but all I see in the DSLreport screen shots is the smaller size for the category headers and playback controls which makes it harder to read. It took years to get an option for somewhat  larger guide font so now we have to deal with this size reduction? May I ask why you like the new look so much? What am I missing?===

Thanks for 'splaining' your rationale. I don't find anything loading faster but I didn't have a problem with the way it loaded before. All I see is smaller everything.

Regular Contributor

You are welcome. Happy to help. I am glad my response answers the question you asked me.

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

Updated UI usually means change/addition to options or  functionality/operation but all I see in the DSLreport screen shots is the smaller size for the category headers and playback controls which makes it harder to read. It took years to get an option for somewhat  larger guide font so now we have to deal with this size reduction? May I ask why you like the new look so much? What am I missing?===

Thanks for 'splaining' your rationale. I don't find anything loading faster but I didn't have a problem with the way it loaded before. All I see is smaller everything.

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

TerriB,

I posted the announcement because I did not see one from comcast and I did not receive the update just yet so i was not aware that some users already received it. Comcast no longer keeps the thread updated with current changes to X1.

Contributor

@nayaugpark wrote:

Oh I would love to have that back and I miss the picture-in-picture feature too!

Most Valued Poster

@RadTV wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

TerriB,

I posted the announcement because I did not see one from comcast and I did not receive the update just yet so i was not aware that some users already received it. Comcast no longer keeps the thread updated with current changes to X1.

==

Wonder why they stopped posting on the update thread? It was the only way we knew what was coming or had already been done

Regular Contributor

Because the only thing they've updated in the last year is the font?

@TerriB wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

===

TerriB,

==

Wonder why they stopped posting on the update thread? It was the only way we knew what was coming or had already been done

Administrator

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc & @TerriB,

The reason that there have been less updates posted on this thread is that many of the updates are being shared in other threads or boards.  This allows users the ability to only see updates that they most care about instead of going through a very large thread discussing multiple updates. 

You will notice these threads pinned to the top of the X1 board (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1) and will remain there as long as they continue to recieve replies and views.

Some recent X1 updates can be found here:

Remember, you can always subscribe to threads and/or boards to get the latest information on a topic (find out how to here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/help/faqpage)

Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything further. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc & @TerriB,

The reason that there have been less updates posted on this thread is that many of the updates are being shared in other threads or boards.  This allows users the ability to only see updates that they most care about instead of going through a very large thread discussing multiple updates. 

You will notice these threads pinned to the top of the X1 board (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1) and will remain there as long as they continue to recieve replies and views.

Some recent X1 updates can be found here:

Remember, you can always subscribe to threads and/or boards to get the latest information on a topic (find out how to here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/help/faqpage)

Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything further. ===

Thanks Jessie! I didn't' even know about the Amazon Prime free trial. I don't see anything  on the pinned topics about the new UI that we have been discussing How were we supposed to have found out about it  rather than getting it and not having a clue about the changes we saw all of a sudden? Seems we sure need one place to see the updates like we did before but this UI change was not published anywhere. Your thoughts please.