Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

For those who don't like the XR15, the XR11 will work with the 4k box:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Regular Contributor

True, and likely any remote will work with any box, it was just the point that removing that button seemed (to some of us) like a step backward while the rest of the remote was a step forward. I like the style and how it felt and looked, but I would personally not use it without a replay button, and knowing Comcast one day it will replace the XR11 and you won't have a choice.

Most Valued Poster

You can still use the Page Down button as the replay button.
So they eliminated 1 of 2 replay buttons.

Worst part about the remote is the up down left right pad. Flat & not very ergonomic. XR11 feels better. XR15 looks better.
Regular Contributor

I assume you have to reprogram page down to be 8 or 10 seconds or whatever replay does today? I like having page up and page down be 5 minutes (or 10 minutes, I forget) in either direction. Agani, just another side effect of taking something away that many people like.

Most Valued Poster

Replay is whatever page up/page down is.

Stock - 5 min
Exit exit exit 0030 - 30 seconds
Regular Contributor

So yeah, then to get back what the replay button on the XR11 does today (8 or 10 seconds, whatever it is), you would have to sacrifice page down being 5 minutes. At least it's an option.

Most Valued Poster

Oops no its not.

Page up/down - 5 min or 30 seconds.

Replay - back 30 seconds.
Regular Contributor

I use replay a lot. A lot, lot. And I want to say there is no way it's 30 seconds by default today. 10 max.

Most Valued Poster

Ok now im confused.

Replay is 30 seconds back for me.

Page up/down is programmable to 30 seconds or 5 min (stock).
Most Valued Poster

Replay is actually 15 seconds back :

Replay: With DVR service, replay jumps back 15 seconds within a program
Regular Contributor

I'll accept that. Smiley Happy More than I thought, but if it was really 30 seconds then I'm going crazy.

Expert

So confusing.  I may not use the XR15 when I get my XG1v4.

New Poster

Just got an Arris XG1v4 and it is not better.  Sound is low and fast forward etc is quirky.

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

Stock - 5 min

Honestly, after all these years ...  why is this feature not a simple OPTION in the Settings?   This whole "secret" set of STEPS required to set/reset to 30 SECS is ridiculous, imho.  I mean REALLY COMCAST?

Expert

wrote:

Just got an Arris XG1v4 and it is not better.  Sound is low and fast forward etc is quirky.

the fast forward sympton is probably because you are watching the cloud DVR recordings since DVR was swapped out (physical recordings left on the old box). The sound of Cloud DVR is also stereo only. recordings made after swaput will be in normal audio and fast forward appearance.

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

the fast forward sympton is probably because you are watching the cloud DVR recordings since DVR was swapped out (physical recordings left on the old box). The sound of Cloud DVR is also stereo only. recordings made after swaput will be in normal audio and fast forward appearance.

Hi Rustyben,   Do you know if there is a way to tell if a recording on your DVR is also in the cloud?  And if there is some way to watch the "cloud" recording instead of the "DVR" recording, from your DVR/TV?

I'm dealing with the "my DVR is at 30% but the cloud is over 100%" issues, and I have recordings on my DVR that are messed up (pizelation, freezes, no sound), and I'd like to watch the "cloud" recording (if it hasn't been deleted by going over 100%).  Is there some way to know / access it?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

Stock - 5 min

Honestly, after all these years ...  why is this feature not a simple OPTION in the Settings?   This whole "secret" set of STEPS required to set/reset to 30 SECS is ridiculous, imho.  I mean REALLY COMCAST?

That is not the only thing that is beyond ridiculous that it hasn't been offered/fixed by now.

(maybe it has to be a secret because tivo has the patent in skipping forward in time.  and apparently they also have the patent for deleting a recording on the first try.)

Regular Contributor

XG1v4 is snappier to me and I have no problems with sound. The downside, for me, is that I am having the sound output from the TV to my receiver instead of direct, because my receiver is not 4K. So I ran HDMI to the TV instead of the receiver. I do notice occassional 1 second drops of audio, but not poor quality. It's Dolby Digital at least, which to my knowledge is all it would be anyway if I did run it directly to my receiver. Can't remember if they ever got Dolby Atmos or whatever "expert mode" is working on any content.

This thread worried me for a second about cloud stereo only. A tech who installed a second Xi5 at my house Wednesday night told me the XG1v4 had no hard drive and all recordings were from the cloud. That was quite surprising. In any case, I know I'm getting Dolby Digital, and this post says it has a 500 GB drive.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-XG1v4-TV-Box/td-p/2907630

Most Valued Poster

@ wrote:

wrote:

Stock - 5 min

I have always wondered the same thing. Whats with the secrecy of how to change the 'skip'.  Just make it an option and be done with it. 

Official Employee

@ wrote:
wrote:

Hi Rustyben,   Do you know if there is a way to tell if a recording on your DVR is also in the cloud?  And if there is some way to watch the "cloud" recording instead of the "DVR" recording, from your DVR/TV?

I'm dealing with the "my DVR is at 30% but the cloud is over 100%" issues, and I have recordings on my DVR that are messed up (pizelation, freezes, no sound), and I'd like to watch the "cloud" recording (if it hasn't been deleted by going over 100%).  Is there some way to know / access it?

Thanks

tctc, the Cloud DVR holds the most recent 60 hours of DVR recordings. The latest 60 hours of recorded content on your DVR will be in the cloud. 

There is no reason to watch a cloud recording on your DVR/TV because the original recording is already in the DVR box. 

The DVR and the cloud have different storage sizes so you'll see different percentages for storage. If you have recordings that have reception issues, it is probably an indication of an issue with the channel or possible issue with your signal levels to and from the box. If you are seeing pixelation or freezing of live TV, I reccomend ensuring your coaxial cables are in snug to the outlet and into the cable box and check for any kinks or rusting at the splitter, if you have one. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
wrote:

Thanks

tctc, the Cloud DVR holds the most recent 60 hours of DVR recordings. The latest 60 hours of recorded content on your DVR will be in the cloud. 

There is no reason to watch a cloud recording on your DVR/TV because the original recording is already in the DVR box. 

The DVR and the cloud have different storage sizes so you'll see different percentages for storage. If you have recordings that have reception issues, it is probably an indication of an issue with the channel or possible issue with your signal levels to and from the box. If you are seeing pixelation or freezing of live TV, I reccomend ensuring your coaxial cables are in snug to the outlet and into the cable box and check for any kinks or rusting at the splitter, if you have one. 

KenF

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to tell by looking on the physical DVR if a specific recording is available in the cloud?  (most recent 60 hours doesn't really help with that)

I need to watch the "cloud" recording because the recording on the DVR is a disaster.  Or are you saying that the cloud recording will have the exact same quality issues as the one on my physical DVR?    (it's not the cables, it's an ongoing intermittent issue that I've had since getting X1)

Do you know why the cloud holds a different amount than the physical DVR?

Regular Contributor

If the below is what's advertised, it's pasted directly from Xfinity.com -

Then why is the cloud storage different than the DVR storage?

If the advertising is talking about 500GB, then why is the cloud 60 hours instead of 500GB?

I think the advertising needs to be updated to "Take the latest 60 hours of your recording with you (but not the full 500GB, or more if you are paying extra for an additional DVR), and this may or may not be your full DVR library"

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

Watch your recordings from anywhere, even while you're offline. Just download your content to any device and tune in whenever and wherever you want.

•  Record and watch up to 6 shows at once
  •  Never run out of space with 500GB of storage
  •  Take your entire cloud DVR library with you
Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

If the advertising is talking about 500GB, then why is the cloud 60 hours instead of 500GB?

I think the advertising needs to be updated to "Take the latest 60 hours of your recording with you (but not the full 500GB, or more if you are paying extra for an additional DVR), and this may or may not be your full DVR library"

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

Watch your recordings from anywhere, even while you're offline. Just download your content to any device and tune in whenever and wherever you want.

I read this differently than you but I get how if two people see two meanings that is the very definition of ambiguous. I read the line with "500 Gb" as referring to your in home DVR, while the next line with the "cloud DVR" is talking about cloud storage. I do not read the two lines as talking about the same storage. I get how one could, which as I said does lend itself to ambiguity.

Official Employee

Not that I know, no there isn't a way to see if it is on the cloud or not via the DVR, tctc. 

The cloud recording would have the same reception recorded from the DVR. If there is a problem with the x1 system in your home, that seems to be the larger issue here. Have we taken a look into that? 

I do not have an answer as to why the cloud has a different amount than the physical DVR. I think what would really help is just increasing the size of the cloud storage. I've had forum users before request increasing the Cloud Storage limit and I have passed that along to our engineers. 

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

I read this differently than you but I get how if two people see two meanings that is the very definition of ambiguous. I read the line with "500 Gb" as referring to your in home DVR, while the next line with the "cloud DVR" is talking about cloud storage. I do not read the two lines as talking about the same storage. I get how one could, which as I said does lend itself to ambiguity.

I get your point, but if the whole top paragraph is about "take your DVR with you, watch your recordings from anywhere, etc.", then all of the bullets below that should apply.  And it's only if you already know that the cloud and physical DVR storage amounts are different, that you would even think that would be the case.

I read it as intentionally disingenous advertising, or a complete lack of understanding by the writer on what is actually offered (as evidenced by a support ticket I have open where so far at least 6 Comcast employess are unaware that the DVR % and cloud % can be different)..

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

I get your point, but if the whole top paragraph is about "take your DVR with you, watch your recordings from anywhere, etc.", then all of the bullets below that should apply.  And it's only if you already know that the cloud and physical DVR storage amounts are different, that you would even think that would be the case.

I read it as intentionally disingenous advertising, or a complete lack of understanding by the writer on what is actually offered (as evidenced by a support ticket I have open where so far at least 6 Comcast employess are unaware that the DVR % and cloud % can be different)..

I get your frustration and your point as well. What I think the advert is supposed to mean, and not purposely disingenuous is that the first TWO bullet points refer to the first sentence "x1 DVR", while the last bullet point refers to the LAST sentence. Nevertheless, I see how if one did not know the system, they would have a hard time knowing which bullets refer to which sentence. My thinking is that it is not intentionally done but just poorly written copy.

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

Not that I know, no there isn't a way to see if it is on the cloud or not via the DVR, tctc. 

The cloud recording would have the same reception recorded from the DVR. If there is a problem with the x1 system in your home, that seems to be the larger issue here. Have we taken a look into that? 

I do not have an answer as to why the cloud has a different amount than the physical DVR. I think what would really help is just increasing the size of the cloud storage. I've had forum users before request increasing the Cloud Storage limit and I have passed that along to our engineers. 

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your replies.   Yes, I've had service calls endlessly and all of my equipment replaced, but the issues continue.  I was hoping maybe the "cloud DVR" recorded directly from the source, and didn't have my reception issues, so maybe had a better copy of the show.

I thought I had read in a past forum post that if your area experiences an outage, and your recording is missed or only partial, that the cloud recording was different and you would be able to watch the full uninterrupted recording on the cloud?

Thanks for passing on the storage request.  If possible, could you also pass along a request that people who are paying for an extra DVR should also receive additional cloud storage?

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

I get your frustration and your point as well. What I think the advert is supposed to mean, and not purposely disingenuous is that the first TWO bullet points refer to the first sentence "x1 DVR", while the last bullet point refers to the LAST sentence. Nevertheless, I see how if one did not know the system, they would have a hard time knowing which bullets refer to which sentence. My thinking is that it is not intentionally done but just poorly written copy.

I'll meet you in the middle at "copy written without actual knowledge of the capabilities", but that's as far as I'll go...

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

X1 DVR

Take your DVR with you

Also, the picture next to 500GB is clearly a cloud.

And the "Take your entire cloud DVR library with you", should also state -  "if you happen to have a giant hard drive and have taken the time to download all of your recordings before you leave"

Because last time I tried to watch a recording of a sporting event from the cloud I could not access it away from home.

And I just learned that if I try to Recover a deleted recording while on tv.xfinity.com it tells me "This feature is no longer available"

Official Employee

I understand where you're coming from tctc. I can see where the wording can be a bit unclear. Thanks for the feedback. 

Regular Contributor

Well the download and watch anywhere is definitely not the cloud, because it straight up says you can watch while offline. I mean, maybe you download from the cloud, but then it's a local copy on your device, temporarily I guess.

I do think the cloud copy is different, tctc. I've only ever used it once for an episode of The Walking Dead that got interrupted on my DVR and the cloud copy was complete. Now that may be because Comcast automatically records the top 100 shows for everyone or something, but that was my one experience.
Expert

there are two distinct and separate DVR recorders. you pay for the home DVR and it has approximately 500gb for storage and recordings are in mpeg4 for HD and mpeg2 for SD and space is measured in percent of the actual space available. The cloud DVR is free and you get 60 hours of recording with oldest removed as space is needed. If you have two physical DVRs the cloud DVR is 120 hours and so forth. Again there is no charge for the cloud DVR and it is an add on feature. the Cloud DVR is measured in percent of hours stored / 60 (or 120 if 2 physical DVRs, etc). This really isn't hard. If your physical DVR fails (for example power failure for 48 hours in the home) the cloud DVR still records and the recordings will be available to play in the home when power is restored. From what other customers have reported, the cloud DVR has only the stereo stream.

Regular Contributor

You can tell if your watching a Cloud DVR recording by pressing the down arrow on your remote while playing the recording.

A small cloud icon will be in the top left of the screen by the title. If the icon is not there then your recording is streaming off your hard drive on the DVR. 

Regular Contributor

@ wrote:

there are two distinct and separate DVR recorders. you pay for the home DVR and it has approximately 500gb for storage and recordings are in mpeg4 for HD and mpeg2 for SD and space is measured in percent of the actual space available. The cloud DVR is free and you get 60 hours of recording with oldest removed as space is needed. If you have two physical DVRs the cloud DVR is 120 hours and so forth. Again there is no charge for the cloud DVR and it is an add on feature. the Cloud DVR is measured in percent of hours stored / 60 (or 120 if 2 physical DVRs, etc). This really isn't hard. If your physical DVR fails (for example power failure for 48 hours in the home) the cloud DVR still records and the recordings will be available to play in the home when power is restored. From what other customers have reported, the cloud DVR has only the stereo stream.

Thanks for the info.  That seems pretty simple.    (though not really what's described in Comcast advertising)

And amazing that not one of the reps I talked to understood it and it took 2 days of research for them to get back to me with that info.

Although they didn't say the cloud was free, just that you get 60 hours with each DVR you are paying for.  Why it's not an option to get enough cloud space to fully match/backup your DVR(s) I don't understand.  And I don't think Comcast should be able to advertise all of the funtionality when it's only a partial offering. (free or not)

The one thing I'm still not clear on, does the cloud record a separate copy/version of all scheduled shows.  At one point a rep told me it did, but then when I asked specifically if the cloud recording of an episode I had would be messed up like the recording on my DVR, he said yes, it would be the same quality.  And this was immediately after telling me that part of the purpose of the cloud, was that my recordings wouldn't be missed if there was an outage/power failure at my physical DVR.

As user lightstorm22 says, is it only recording different versions of the "top 100 for everyone", or is it a different version of everthing I have scheduled?

lightstorm22, how did you access the other version of that episode?  Via a device on the internet instead of tv/DVR?

Regular Contributor

I only ever did it once, but if I recall correctly it was the same night the show aired live, too soon to be on demand, so I'm pretty sure I watched my cloud DVR copy. It was from a PC.
Expert

A pc or smart device or a Roku can only watch the cloud copies of programs. Cloud programs are recorded independently of the home DVR and the home DVR plays the cloud DVR copy if the home DVRs don't have a copy of the program. Quality is the same (per Comcast) but sound per customers is only 2 channel stereo.

Expert

wrote:

wrote:

Thanks for the info.  That seems pretty simple.    (though not really what's described in Comcast advertising)

And amazing that not one of the reps I talked to understood it and it took 2 days of research for them to get back to me with that info.

Although they didn't say the cloud was free, just that you get 60 hours with each DVR you are paying for.  Why it's not an option to get enough cloud space to fully match/backup your DVR(s) I don't understand.  And I don't think Comcast should be able to advertise all of the funtionality when it's only a partial offering. (free or not)

The one thing I'm still not clear on, does the cloud record a separate copy/version of all scheduled shows.  At one point a rep told me it did, but then when I asked specifically if the cloud recording of an episode I had would be messed up like the recording on my DVR, he said yes, it would be the same quality.  And this was immediately after telling me that part of the purpose of the cloud, was that my recordings wouldn't be missed if there was an outage/power failure at my physical DVR.

As user lightstorm22 says, is it only recording different versions of the "top 100 for everyone", or is it a different version of everthing I have scheduled?

lightstorm22, how did you access the other version of that episode?  Via a device on the internet instead of tv/DVR?

There is a cloud faq:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Most Valued Poster

@ wrote:

wrote:

Stock - 5 min

I may just be behind on what the voice remote can do but saw a TV ad on FF and RW using voice remote so I tried it. I can skip forward or back using any number of minutes I want on live or recorded content (not On Demand though). It goes immediately to what I asked for with no buttons or progress bar involved.  Of course when I do it on Live Tv, the skip timeframe has to be in line with the buffered portion. 

Regular Contributor

@

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

There is a cloud faq:

Thanks, good FAQ.    Someone should distribute that info to the phone reps.

It says the availability may be "slightly less", ha, don't think slightly is the right word.

So it seems the solution to watching a bad recording is to leave it on the DVR (don't delete or it will delete from both locations), but then watch it on a computer/non-DVR device.  It would be nice if there was a way to delete the bad physical DVR recording, without deleting the cloud version, then be able to access the cloud version from the TV/DVR.  (I prefer 60" HD TV to 13" laptop)

Of course it would also be nice if the cloud storage matched the physical DVR.

And if it's not going to match, it would be nice if there was a way to decide which recordings were duplicated in the cloud (instead of FIFO).  I would rather not have my daily late night talk shows recorded to the cloud, since I don't care about them as much, and they are likely available On Demand.  And they'll be bumping off older shows and movies that I really don't want to lose from my DVR.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - change to how the screen saver works?

We enjoy the newer seasonal/animal slide show screen saver after the tv is paused for a certain amount of time.  We  also have gotten used to seeing the little capsules of traffic/weather/sports/news on the different images but they are gone. Just wondered when this was taken away and should this have been considered an 'update' that should have been shown in this thread? I don't understand how those little tidbits could be considered something that should not be there. Thanks

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

We enjoy the newer seasonal/animal slide show screen saver after the tv is paused for a certain amount of time.  We  also have gotten used to seeing the little capsules of traffic/weather/sports/news on the different images but they are gone. Just wondered when this was taken away and should this have been considered an 'update' that should have been shown in this thread? I don't understand how those little tidbits could be considered something that should not be there. Thanks

I still have these capsules. They show up for me about every 3rd or 4th change of the image for the screen saver. Maybe its a regional thing or was just a hiccup in your system when you observed it not being present.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I still have these capsules. They show up for me about every 3rd or 4th change of the image for the screen saver. Maybe its a regional thing or was just a hiccup in your system when you observed it not being present.

Ours used to be on every image but I will watch and see if its now not every screen like you experience. My hubby and I have both noticed it in the last week every time the screen saver is active. Thanks for your post.

Regular Contributor

New feature in the Comcast labs called "smart resume for recordings"

With this enabled it allows to fast forward a DVR recording and it will then automatically start the show right after the commercials are over Smiley Happy

Right now however there is either a limitation or it could be by design where it will only work for 7 days starting from the day the show premiered and was recorded to your DVR box. And it only works for Prime Time shows on CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC for now.

This will come in handy for those times when you are just about falling asleep and you fast forward though half of the show lol  

Most Valued Poster

@gate1975mlm wrote:

With this enabled it allows to fast forward a DVR recording and it will then automatically start the show right after the commercials are over Smiley Happy

Right now however there is either a limitation or it could be by design where it will only work for 7 days starting from the day the show premiered and was recorded to your DVR box. And it only works for Prime Time shows on CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC for now.

This will come in handy for those times when you are just about falling asleep and you fast forward though half of the show lol  

I have not seen anything new in so long that I stopped checking the Labs entrie. This is great news and I sure hope they expand it to longer than 7 days from the time we record a show and have it available for all networks. I don't understand why difference it should make what channel is recorded or when it was recorded.  We have so many recordings on so many networks and this feature would really help  when/if fully expanded. My husband FF's too sloooowly for my taste so he doesn't run into the program and I tend to zoom and have to back up.  I have also done exactly what you described about FF thru half the show when falling asleep at the wheel which I tend to do between 9-10PM.  I hear my hubby yelling certain things to bring me back! 

Thanks so much for posting this. Do you know if we have a way to comment on Labs other than in this forum?? 

Expert

This is the only forum for Comcast Labs.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

This is the only forum for Comcast Labs

I was looking for some  Labs feedback vehicle outside the forums...is there one?

Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

An observation: It doesn't seem to work for LIVE shows, such as DWTS, or for shows that you start watching on the DVR while the show is still playing  on live TV.

Most Valued Poster

@ThomT wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

An observation: It doesn't seem to work for LIVE shows, such as DWTS, or for shows that you start watching on the DVR while the show is still playing  on live TV.

===

Unless I didn't understand his post this feature is called 'smart resume for recordings' so is for programs 'previously' recorded to the DVR  and therefore  live programs would not be affected nor would programs still in the recording process. In a perfect world we would be able to FF during any and all commercials and  'play' would resume automatically as soon as the program resumes. It tickles me that advertisers and networks oppose this because they think they are losing revenue because we are not watching the commercials. Pluueeese!  I avoid commercials any way I can. Its gotten to the point where its a real irritant to have to watch live tv and see commercials. Even On Demand doesn't allow FF on most networks....would not want us to miss recordings on On Demand either....jeez. I want CONTROL of what I watch...period.

@ThomT
Regular Contributor

I just tried Smart Resume on my Super Bowl recording from back in February and it works . I also tried it on some shows that are around 2 weeks+ old and it works on them too Smiley Happy

So not sure why it says only for 7 days after the program aired?

Anyway I love having this option now and I think it's one of the best new features Comcast has added to X1 in a very long time!!! 

I just hope they also add "The CW" and other TV Networks in the future too.

P.S  Smart Resume only works on DVR recordings "Not Live TV"

So you need to wait until the recording is finished.

Most Valued Poster

@gate1975mlm wrote:

I just tried Smart Resume on my Super Bowl recording from back in February and it works . I also tried it on some shows that are around 2 weeks+ old and it works on them too Smiley Happy

So not sure why it says only for 7 days after the program aired?

Anyway I love having this option now and I think it's one of the best new features Comcast has added to X1 in a very long time!!! 

I just hope they also add "The CW" and other TV Networks in the future too.

P.S  Smart Resume only works on DVR recordings "Not Live TV"

So you need to wait until the recording is finished.

COOL!  Yes this option is a potential STAR for we who need something good for X1 with all that we have lost. However it needs to work on all networks. Most of what we record is on  cable networks ...not the big 4.

Come on Comcast ...make this little treasure univeral across all networks.