Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@TerriB did you notice that the delete recordings (but they stay) bug appears to be fixed?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

I hadn't seen the delete bug in few weeks, but did have one just about a week ago.  None since.

Extremely poor performace for the first couple minutes after turning on has been common for the last few weeks.

0 buffer on "turn on" or after dvr use of satellite boxes seems to be a permanent "upgrade".

Expert

@tctc wrote:

I hadn't seen the delete bug in few weeks, but did have one just about a week ago.  None since.

Extremely poor performace for the first couple minutes after turning on has been common for the last few weeks.

0 buffer on "turn on" or after dvr use of satellite boxes seems to be a permanent "upgrade".

next menu update (on 2 of 3 of my DVRs already) is 86.1.0 and that issue is gone. you can call in and ask TV agent to use the Xray tool to upgrade you 'now' (will happen overnight since not firmware).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB did you notice that the delete recordings (but they stay) bug appears to be fixed?

We have have not had the 'delete' problem in quite some time but  I have hesitated to mention it and have almost ruined a table 'knocking on wood'....lol.  It has disappeared for extended periods of time before and then reared up again. Lets hope this time they have fixed the bug. Thanks for checking in with me about it. Fingers crossed

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

next menu update (on 2 of 3 of my DVRs already) is 86.1.0 and that issue is gone. you can call in and ask TV agent to use the Xray tool to upgrade you 'now' (will happen overnight since not firmware).

Your buffer is back on satellite boxes?   That would be great.

Regular Contributor

A great update, that I'm sure has been asked for many times, would be the Xfinity button defaulting to something useful, like recordings, instead of the Guide, which already has it's own button.  Why would you default it to something that already has it's own button?

Not that difficult a fix, so I assume Tivo must hold a patent on this as well?

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

A great update, that I'm sure has been asked for many times, would be the Xfinity button defaulting to something useful, like recordings, instead of the Guide, which already has it's own button.  Why would you default it to something that already has it's own button?

The Xfinity button brings up a menu on my X1.  It has done this since the beginning.  Is this something new? 

Most Valued Poster

@gate1975mlm wrote:

I just tried Smart Resume on my Super Bowl recording from back in February and it works . I also tried it on some shows that are around 2 weeks+ old and it works on them too Smiley Happy

So not sure why it says only for 7 days after the program aired?

Anyway I love having this option now and I think it's one of the best new features Comcast has added to X1 in a very long time!!! 

I just hope they also add "The CW" and other TV Networks in the future too.

P.S  Smart Resume only works on DVR recordings "Not Live TV"

So you need to wait until the recording is finished.

=======

Ok what am I doing wrong? I turned the new feature on in Labs yesterday.  Tried it today on NCIS (CBS) from last night and I did not see the badge ( per Comcast website...."If your recording is eligible for Smart Resume, you will see a With Smart Resume badge on the middle of the screen when fast forwarding the recording")  Do I have to use a particular FF speed? I tried a couple of FF speed options and nothing happened. Normally we use 3 or 4  FF speed and when I am alone I use lightening speed a lot (drives my hubby nuts).....lol.  Since the show was already recorded  but less than 24 hours ago... does it matter how long they have been recorded before it will work? I am so disappointed. HELP 

By the way...what is Primetime? 8-11PM?

Regular Contributor

It works at any speed you choose (except lightning) I have done it on all 4 speeds without issue. all you need to do is begin fast forwarding when it’s commercial time and it will show the normal fast forward logo but with the words “with smart resume” below the logo.

Not sure why yours isn’t working but hope they fix it for you.

P.S.

I have NCIS on my DVR from last night too. It records at 7pm in California so that must mean that prime time starts at 7 because smart resume works on my end for NCIS
Regular Contributor

@ThomT wrote:

@tctc wrote:

The Xfinity button brings up a menu on my X1.  It has done this since the beginning.  Is this something new? 

Nothing new, it's just that it brings up the Menu defaulted at the Guide.  Which is already an option you can get to directly with the Guide button.  It would make sense if it would default to something more useful.  I'm guessing the 2nd most common things people do in the menu is watch saved recordings.

In reality, and decent UI would let you set your own default, or set the defaul to "last used", but that's apparently beyond the capabilites of a box that has to be turned off every single night.

So in lieu of that, it would be nice if they changed the order of the Menus so that it defaults to something besides what you can already get to with one button push...

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
It works at any speed you choose (except lightning) I have done it on all 4 speeds without issue. all you need to do is begin fast forwarding when it’s commercial time and it will show the normal fast forward logo but with the words “with smart resume” below the logo.

P.S.

I have NCIS on my DVR from last night too. It records at 7pm in California so that must mean that prime time starts at 7 because smart resume works on my end for NCIS

Thanks for the reply but nothing I try the smart resume on is working. I am using the regular FF button on the remote by the way.   Frustrating to say the least. I verified that the smart resume Labs is 'on'.

Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

P.S.

Thanks for the reply but nothing I try the smart resume on is working. I am using the regular FF button on the remote by the way.   Frustrating to say the least. I verified that the smart resume Labs is 'on'.

Thanks for activating the Smart Resume feature in Comcast Labs. As a reminder, the Comcast Labs menu of Xfinity X1 allows you to try out experimental features on your TV.

These features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected. If a feature isn't working for you, you can turn it off at any time. This will not impact the supported X1 features.

The Smart Resume feature in Comcast Labs allows you to more easily navigate past commercial breaks within DVR recordings. If you fast forward through a commercial break when Smart Resume is enabled, Smart Resume will automatically drop you into playback when the commercial break ends.

If your recording is eligible for Smart Resume (not all recordings are), you will see a With Smart Resume badge on the middle of the screen when fast forwarding the recording. 

Smart Resume.png

At this time, this feature is only available on recordings of certain primetime shows on NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC for seven days after the program airs. For best results, this feature should be used 30 minutes or more after the program has finished airing.

Prime time defined is the block of broadcast programming taking place during the middle of the evening for television programming. The term prime time is often defined in terms of a fixed time period – for example (in the US), from 7:00 to 10:00 (Central and Mountain Time) or 8:00 to 11:00 (Eastern and Pacific Time).

I hope that helps. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Very happy to hear that the delete bug may be finally fixed! Smiley Happy

I am pretty sure none of my dvr boxes are on 86.1.0 yet but actually I have not noticed the delete bug in quite some time now that I think about it.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds.... Seems nothing we record in primetime on the networks you mentioned is available for smart resume  where we live in the Wash DC area  because we have yet to have it work.   I even restarted the box and verified for the 4th time that the Labs feature was turned on.  I don't understand whats going on and sorry that such a great new perk is not available for us. We record so much and this would have been so nice to have. 

And to make things worse...using voice remote to say 'fast forward X minutes' to get thru the commercials does not always work and I say it exactly the same way every time. It either does nothing or says it can't find any information.

I guess we are going to be seen as really lazy not wanting to just use FF button to get thru commercials BUT Comcast must think there is a need out there for alternative methods since they have  made  2 features available to either use voice remote or the new  smart resumeLabs feature to get past the commercials but nothing works for us so we are more frustrated than before we learned of the two alternatives. Its hard to pretend they don't exist now that we know about them.

Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Very happy to hear that the delete bug may be finally fixed! Smiley Happy

I am pretty sure none of my dvr boxes are on 86.1.0 yet but actually I have not noticed the delete bug in quite some time now that I think about it.

Well I have update 86.1.0 now Smiley Happy 

Official Employee

TerriB, were those recordings you're trying to use smart resume on, primetime shows?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, were those recordings you're trying to use smart resume on, primetime shows?

Oh yes indeed and were on CBS, ABC and NBC. I can't get it to work on any recorded major network primetime show.

Official Employee

TerriB, hmmm. And just be sure, were those recordings recent? Was the original airing of the program from 7 or less days ago?

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, hmmm. And just be sure, were those recordings recent? Was the original airing of the program from 7 or less days ago?

KenF

I tried on programs aired from 24 hrs to more than a week and nothing happened. I tried a bunch of shows...not just one or two.   At the top of this discussion one member said he was able to use smart resume on his Super Bowl recording...wow.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

I tried on programs aired from 24 hrs to more than a week and nothing happened. I tried a bunch of shows...not just one or two.   At the top of this discussion one member said he was able to use smart resume on his Super Bowl recording...wow.

Yep that would be me and knock on wood it's still working as of today. Smiley Happy

Hopefully Comcast gets this great feature working for you soon!

Most Valued Poster

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

Yep that would be me and knock on wood it's still working as of today. Smiley Happy

Hopefully Comcast gets this great feature working for you soon!

Me too and thanks! Now that we know we have the feature we would sure like to use it....lol

Official Employee

TerriB, hmmm ok. Odd. Have you recently stopped your X1 box from updating? Perhaps delayed an update because you were watching TV? 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, hmmm ok. Odd. Have you recently stopped your X1 box from updating? Perhaps delayed an update because you were watching TV? 

Never ever stop it from updating.  Version 8610 (may be 86.10)  5/5/18

Official Employee

TerriB, when was the last time you rebooted your box?

Regular Contributor

With Smart Resume, I'd like to request that it skips back a few seconds more after it starts playing than it does now. I find myself having to rewind after it starts because I am missing the beginning of dialog after a commercial break.
Expert

@2themax wrote:
With Smart Resume, I'd like to request that it skips back a few seconds more after it starts playing than it does now. I find myself having to rewind after it starts because I am missing the beginning of dialog after a commercial break.

yes! it is so close to perfect but uniformly 2-3 seconds too 'late' to resume

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@2themax wrote:

yes! it is so close to perfect but uniformly 2-3 seconds too 'late' to resume

I agree with this request in part and disagree in another part. I do not see it as a uniform problem. For example, watching American idol the smart resume was PERFECT!! every time it stopped just before the show began after the commercial break. On the other hand, watching NCIS with smart resume I found that I was about 2-3 seconds late on resume. I tested it a little bit further and found that all of the ABC programs like American idol, for the people, and Roseanne all started at the correct spot with smart resume while all the CBS programs like NCIS and NCIS LA suffered the 2-3 seconds late. I wonder if it has to do with the network since my uniformity only applied to networks.

I do realize with labs options like this one, features may not work perfectly. My hope is our reporting this will help to further develop the feature so once it is out of labs it works perfectly across all networks.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, when was the last time you rebooted your box?

We don't normally have any reason to manually reboot the box. It reboots every night on its own if I am not mistaken. It rebooted itself 2 weeks ago after a  storm  power hit. It got stuck and I mean really stuck about 3 weeks ago and I had to do the old unplug routine to get it to reboot.

Official Employee

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've let my contact in Comcast Labs know the ones I caught on this thread

(Got it TerriB. We'll finish up in private message)

KenF

Expert

@TerriB @ComcastKenF let me know what you find with the fail to show 'smart resume' on a box. I have 4 (3 dvrs vers 1 arris) and one xg2. all but one (DVR) works the one not working has the feature on has been rebooted and is on same Firmware and XRE version yet no smart resume.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB @ComcastKenF let me know what you find with the fail to show 'smart resume' on a box. I have 4 (3 dvrs vers 1 arris) and one xg2. all but one (DVR) works the one not working has the feature on has been rebooted and is on same Firmware and XRE version yet no smart resume.

@Rustyben, @ ComcastKenF I only have one box/DVR and its Arris and its up to date . Ken worked with the signals to my box and I did a reboot  yesterday but still no smart resume. Its so frustrating not to be able to use the smart resume but I think we have exhausted what we can do about it UNLESS others start to complain. Have always been able to use Labs features before this one.

Official Employee

Yeah, the signals didn't work unfortunately. Comcast lab features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected.

Most Valued Poster

@TerriB wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

I just tried Smart Resume on my Super Bowl recording from back in February and it works . I also tried it on some shows that are around 2 weeks+ old and it works on them too Smiley Happy

Anyway I love having this option now and I think it's one of the best new features Comcast has added to X1 in a very long time!!! 

=======

Does the smart resume 'badge' show up on the screen whenever you press FF even if its not time for a commercial? Just curious.  Still can't use it and ComcastKenF has done some signal things and I have rebooted but still won't work so I am just going to try to forget it exists. 

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

=======

Does the smart resume 'badge' show up on the screen whenever you press FF even if its not time for a commercial? Just curious.  Still can't use it and ComcastKenF has done some signal things and I have rebooted but still won't work so I am just going to try to forget it exists. 

smartresume1.jpg

I had to reduce size of file but you can see the 'smart resume' added to navigation and the blue bar at bottom shows commercials in near-orange color.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

=======

I had to reduce size of file but you can see the 'smart resume' added to navigation and the blue bar at bottom shows commercials in near-orange color.

==========

Thanks so much. There is nothing on my screen  that indicates Smart Resume is 'on' except that its turned on in Labs.   Nothing that Comcast or I have done has made this work for us. I have been able to use all Labs features over time but not this one. I am going to try to forget this great feature exists because its driving me batty that it won't work for us. thanks again

Silver Problem Solver

I know its on by what I see on the screen.

Smart Resume.png

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

====

I don't see that but smart resume has been turned on in Labs on my box since last week. Comcast has refreshed my signal, rebooted my box and I have also rebooted and nothing seems to make it work.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

====

I don't see that but smart resume has been turned on in Labs on my box since last week. Comcast has refreshed my signal, rebooted my box and I have also rebooted and nothing seems to make it work.

None of the mentioned channels work?  I only watch HD channels.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

====

None of the mentioned channels work?  I only watch HD channels.

-----------

Does smart resume only work on HD channels? I never heard that nor does the Labs say that.  We don't always watch HD channels so thats why I asked and since you brought it up it could be important so if you could please find out and let me know. We have tried smart resume on NBC, FOX,ABC, CBS and per the Labs those are the only ones with the feature right now.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Smart Resume

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

P.S.

Thanks for activating the Smart Resume feature in Comcast Labs. As a reminder, the Comcast Labs menu of Xfinity X1 allows you to try out experimental features on your TV.

These features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected. If a feature isn't working for you, you can turn it off at any time. This will not impact the supported X1 features.

The Smart Resume feature in Comcast Labs allows you to more easily navigate past commercial breaks within DVR recordings. If you fast forward through a commercial break when Smart Resume is enabled, Smart Resume will automatically drop you into playback when the commercial break ends.

If your recording is eligible for Smart Resume (not all recordings are), you will see a With Smart Resume badge on the middle of the screen when fast forwarding the recording. 

Smart Resume.png

At this time, this feature is only available on recordings of certain primetime shows on NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC for seven days after the program airs. For best results, this feature should be used 30 minutes or more after the program has finished airing.

Prime time defined is the block of broadcast programming taking place during the middle of the evening for television programming. The term prime time is often defined in terms of a fixed time period – for example (in the US), from 7:00 to 10:00 (Central and Mountain Time) or 8:00 to 11:00 (Eastern and Pacific Time).

I hope that helps. 

----

Smart Resume mystery solved. It ONLY works on recordings from HD channels.  We record on SD and HD as we see no picture quality difference and are so used to SD channel numbers that we have not fully migrated.  I recorded same show last nigh on SD and HD and voila....the HD recording showed the Smart Resume Badge.  Hey Comcast.....NOT all customers record ONLY on HD and it is important that Comcast clarify on the Labs description. The description talks about primetime and which channels and needs to add "ONLY ON HD CHANNELS". I have spent a great deal of time on this problem and so has Comcast trying to solve the mystery. In the future I when I set up new series recordings I will record on HD channels but in the meantime...please push this up the chain and ask that they modify the Smart Resume description. 

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

P.S.

Smart Resume.png

I hope that helps. 

----

Smart Resume mystery solved. It ONLY works on recordings from HD channels.  We record on SD and HD as we see no picture quality difference and are so used to SD channel numbers that we have not fully migrated.  I recorded same show last nigh on SD and HD and voila....the HD recording showed the Smart Resume Badge.  Hey Comcast.....NOT all customers record ONLY on HD and it is important that Comcast clarify on the Labs description. The description talks about primetime and which channels and needs to add "ONLY ON HD CHANNELS". I have spent a great deal of time on this problem and so has Comcast trying to solve the mystery. In the future I when I set up new series recordings I will record on HD channels but in the meantime...please push this up the chain and ask that they modify the Smart Resume description. 

Glad you got it resolved! FYI, there is a feature that will allow you to not memorize the HD channel numbers. If you enable the feature, which I think is called auto tune to HD, then all you do is go to your SD channel and it will redirect to the HD channel. I think that option is under preferences but I could be wrong.

Official Employee

brandonbob2376, yeah you're right. If you set your tuning preference to HD, then every time you select an SD channel, it auto tunes to the sister HD channel. That's what I do now on my X1 box. 

Glad you were able to figure this out TerriB! Smiley Happy 

Cheers,

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

P.S.

Smart Resume.png

I hope that helps. 

----

Glad you got it resolved! FYI, there is a feature that will allow you to not memorize the HD channel numbers. If you enable the feature, which I think is called auto tune to HD, then all you do is go to your SD channel and it will redirect to the HD channel. I think that option is under preferences but I could be wrong.

===

Hey thanks! I  looked around and googled and its under general preferences and is called 'prefer best available resolution' which to me is not a good description at all  but it is what you are talking about.  I still think that smart resume should be available to all customers regardless of whether they watch SD or HD on X1 and don't care to set it up that way.  

The FIRST hit when googling only applies to non X1 guides......

To enable or disable the Auto-Tune feature on non-X1 Xfinity TV guides:
  • Press Menu twice on your remote control to access the Main Menu.
  • Select Setup.
  • Select Guide Setup.
  • Arrow down to Channel entry method or Channel entry behavior.
  • Select Auto-Tune to enable the feature, or select No Auto Tune to disable the feature.
Regular Contributor

Yes, i just checked, it’s under settings, preferences, General, prefer best resolution. The non x1 guide info is for something different.
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

brandonbob2376, yeah you're right. If you set your tuning preference to HD, then every time you select an SD channel, it auto tunes to the sister HD channel. That's what I do now on my X1 box. 

Glad you were able to figure this out TerriB! Smiley Happy 

Cheers,

KenF

===

Ken, if you are referring to setting the guide to only show HD channels ....that doesn't  provide auto tune. I tried it and of course it then only shows HD channels on the guide but if I try to go to an SD channel number there is a popup that says its not an HD channel and to reset the guide to show all channels. See my reply to BrandonBob as to the only way I found to  auto tune and its so not titled well in general preferences but the description is accurate.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
Yes, i just checked, it’s under settings, preferences, General, prefer best resolution. The non x1 guide info is for something different.

Ok...got it! 

Most Valued Poster

Probably asked a thousand times, but are there any plans to allow Alexa or Google Home to control Xfinity boxes?
Saw today you can control Dishs Hopper with Google Home.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@adammusic22 wrote:
Probably asked a thousand times, but are there any plans to allow Alexa or Google Home to control Xfinity boxes?
Saw today you can control Dishs Hopper with Google Home.

Seems like a question for them, not Comcast?

Regular Contributor

OK, so what happened to the FFWD Button?  We are NOW experiencing it actually going BACKWARDS when pressed.  I have to press the PG-UP first, then the FFWD seems to go in the right direction. Release version 88.1.1

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

OK, so what happened to the FFWD Button?  We are NOW experiencing it actually going BACKWARDS when pressed.  I have to press the PG-UP first, then the FFWD seems to go in the right direction. Release version 88.1.1

==

The other day our remote would not FF or Rewind or change channels or anything including getting to settings to reset the box . Everything was frozen solid.  I had to pull the plug and reset manually and then all was well so it was not the remote causing the problem.