Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

So how do you set tthe SKIP feature to something other that 5 minutes?

Regular Contributor

Press the sequence of :

EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 EXIT

It sometimes takes 10 tries. Or you may need to power reset the box first. Good luck. Yes, convoluted.
Expert

@lawful1234 wrote:

with the remote press quickly the following buttons, exit exit exit 0 0 3 0

If you just can't seem to make it 'work', reboot the box, if that does not work try press and releasing the power button (power LED will go off) and do same sequence. then press the power button to see if the change worked (this last procedure is stated to work in some other threads when the normal procedure does not seem to work).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@lawful1234 wrote:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/30-second-skip-on-XR5-v4-R-remote/td-p/2476397

Regular Contributor

This is pretty much a summary statement of how much comcast executives think about the customer experience, 3 years? in to X1 and 30 second skip is still (as Cody stated) an "easter egg" function.

Along with the lack of many other capabilites that pretty much all modern DVRs have (as well as non-modern ones, ie comcast's own legacy platform) it's just sad.

Why were you late to work?  "I forgot to reboot my car last night".

Why is the house so cold? "Our heater didn't autoreboot last night".

Where is my breakfast?  "Sorry, I'm still rebooting the toaster."

For the next update may we please have, or let's say, 2017 wish list:

- frame by frame advance

- buffer recording

- actual slow motion

- a way to go from pause to slow to pause (pause and play should not be the same button)

- multiple options for skip forward and back (settings or at least more easter eggs)

- physical DVR content available during a service outage

- ability to delete content in one try

- less clutter on the screen, specifically after pressing play or pause (the clutter is not a big deal when you are ff or rw, but when you are watching tv or looking at a paused screen there should be nothing else on the screen, if the screen is playing, you know it's on play, if it's not playing, you know it's paused, half the screen does not need to be covered with progress bars and icons during pause or play)   at least make this a labs option

- no more "advertisements" of content, this is a paid service. or a discount on my service if i accept them

Regular Contributor

Good list and nice tougue in cheek comments. Unfortunately, we have been making these same requests for years and still are hamstrung with a DVR run by a programs devised by Fred Flintstone in BedRock.

Contributor

Upcoming X1 updates v2

Seeing as how the existing upcoming X1 updates thread is outdated, I figured I'd start a new one. Could a Comcast employee please post information on what updates are coming to the X1 system this year? It's frustratingly difficult to figure out what's being done and what Xfinity has planned. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 updates v2

Version 1.7.1.03 from 1/19/17 released. Updates???

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 updates

@jarlmaster47 wrote:

Seeing as how the existing upcoming X1 updates thread is outdated, I figured I'd start a new one. Could a Comcast employee please post information on what updates are coming to the X1 system this year? It's frustratingly difficult to figure out what's being done and what Xfinity has planned. 

why do you think this is outdated? it gets posted into often by us customers and comcast employees

Diamond Problem Solver

@RadTV wrote:

1.72 is next and coming soon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Would love it if Comcast could provide release notes so we can see exactly what is being changed in new firmware releases.

Regular Contributor

@jarlmaster47 wrote:

Would love it if Comcast could provide release notes so we can see exactly what is being changed in new firmware releases.

they provide them in this thread as much as is possible. as has been noted here often by comcast, this is not possible for every single release as we have frequent updates. also, they do not discuss backend or other stability improvements in this thread. I beleive this is the policy that has been said here numerous times but if I have paraphrased incorrectly, feel free to correct me.

Contributor

Not that I've particularly seen but ok. Keep it coming then Xfinity. Would be cool to see these release notes on the TV when it does the update. I never know when the firmware has been updated and if the X1 system could notify me of that it would be great.

Most Valued Poster

Not being able to record the buffer any longer is the most ludicrous thing about this X1 system.   I have had X1 now for 3 1/2 years and overall it has run good.  The loss of being able to record the buffer needs to be fixed now.  It is absolutely ridiculous Comcast took it away and even more ridiculous it was never put back in.  I just can't for the life of me envision a reason this has dragged on for so long other then total incompetance within the Comcast heirarchy to address something so important to it's customers.

The powers that be within Comcast should be ashamed of themselves.  

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired wrote:

Not being able to record the buffer any longer is the most ludicrous thing about this X1 system.   I have had X1 now for 3 1/2 years and overall it has run good.  The loss of being able to record the buffer needs to be fixed now.  It is absolutely ridiculous Comcast took it away and even more ridiculous it was never put back in.  I just can't for the life of me envision a reason this has dragged on for so long other then total incompetance within the Comcast heirarchy to address something so important to it's customers.

You could duplicate this exact post and substitute slow motion and frame by frame advance.

Expert

@TiredRetired wrote:

two separate issues. The first is that Comcast said that recording the buffer would cause local DVR recording time start to be different (and confusing?) than the cloud DVR as it has no buffer nor knows what you are watching. The second is that TiVo (now owned by RoVi) has the patents for those and other features, and most all of the DVR related patents expire by end of 2018. Perhaps it might be an option for coders at that time (we can cross fingers and hope).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

two separate issues. The first is that Comcast said that recording the buffer would cause local DVR recording time start to be different (and confusing?) than the cloud DVR as it has no buffer nor knows what you are watching. The second is that TiVo (now owned by RoVi) has the patents for those and other features, and most all of the DVR related patents expire by end of 2018. Perhaps it might be an option for coders at that time (we can cross fingers and hope).

Still both issues that would shame me if I was a Comcast employee (especially executive), regardless of the root cause.

And IMHO could/should have been solved by now.

Administrator
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

TIVO is at best a niche product.  Far from being mainstream.   They are a nice product, nothing wrong with them but for what they cost and what it costs to keep them running they are a product geared toward a small segment of the TV viewing public at best.  With that said, Comcast with their potential expertise and money should have bought them out years ago, aquiring all the patents and utiilized the technology for themselves.  All this would be a moot point now.  

Just sayin'  Cheers. 

TR

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie wrote:
Not update related

I believe it was my post about the buffer that you removed as not update related. First of all we lost the buffer with an update so it is related. Secondly  I was replying and agreeing to  Post # 2663 and 2663 -2666 and 2668 are buffer related and one is TIVO related so why did you only remove my post.

Where do you feel the loss of the buffer/slo mo/frame by frame that were all lost in updates belong?

Edit...Comcast Jessie.....looks like you also zapped Beowolf Jones buffer post. Why are certain posters being singled out? We did not violate any rules and were only supporting the post of another about the buffer and also slo mo and frame by frame....all lost by updates. This is terrible censorship for a forum where we share and help and support each other. I say put them back or give us a topic called FEATURES WE LOST DUE TO UPDATES and move all of them to it.

Most Valued Poster

I agree as well that TerriB's post should be put back  as it is relevant to this overall discussion.  When things get taken away because of an update it is just as relevant as something being included for the first time.  Negative updates are still updates, after all.

Maybe my TIVO post is not relevent, but TIVO was cited as a reason we lost this buffer record feature in the first place. For some obscure reason, cloud buffer recording is not allowed because of TIVO if I am understanding all this right.  

So now we have reasons why it was taken away.  Cloud buffer recording is an obstacle and TIVO patents are an obstacle.  So instead of working out a fix for reason 1 and paying a royalty to TIVO for reason 2, we lose a very important and basic DVR feature for years and years until the patent runs out or maybe longer.  Sorry, but still having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one from a business standpoint.  What company would not want to have the bragging rights as offering the best featured DVR in the industry?  Certainly not Comcast. 

Regular Contributor

How about MY post about the buffer that was removed as if it never existed ?  My suggestion that Comcast is dodging giving us a satisfactory answer about the loss of the buffer must have hit a nerve...

PS: anyone else getting multiple E-mails about Kudos awarded for posts over 2 years old ? Another forum snafu. I got ten E-mails about 1 kudo from a post made in 2014 ! DUH !

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

How about MY post about the buffer that was removed as if it never existed ?  My suggestion that Comcast is dodging giving us a satisfactory answer about the loss of the buffer must have hit a nerve...

I'd like to add that we've also never been given an official explanation for the loss of frame-by-frame advance or a usable slo/mo feature -- the TIVO patent information was originally posited by a forum member and has been cited ever since.  No way of knowing if this is fact or has simply become an "urban legend" at this point.

Most Valued Poster

@TiredRetired wrote:

I agree as well that TerriB's post should be put back  as it is relevant to this overall discussion.  When things get taken away because of an update it is just as relevant as something being included for the first time.  Negative updates are still updates, after all.

Maybe my TIVO post is not relevent, but TIVO was cited as a reason we lost this buffer record feature in the first place. For some obscure reason, cloud buffer recording is not allowed because of TIVO if I am understanding all this right.  

So now we have reasons why it was taken away.  Cloud buffer recording is an obstacle and TIVO patents are an obstacle.  So instead of working out a fix for reason 1 and paying a royalty to TIVO for reason 2, we lose a very important and basic DVR feature for years and years until the patent runs out or maybe longer.  Sorry, but still having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one from a business standpoint.  What company would not want to have the bragging rights as offering the best featured DVR in the industry?  Certainly not Comcast. 

---

Thanks for the support! I sure would like to know why Comcast Jessie decided that MY post on the things we lost due to updates like the buffer is not relevant but several others are ok to remain on here. It is making me more angry as I think about it. I was not rude or used bad words. I feel singled out for sure and I want to know why. I wish I had captured my post but I had no idea it would be zapped. GRRRRR!

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

PS: anyone else getting multiple E-mails about Kudos awarded for posts over 2 years old ? Another forum snafu. I got ten E-mails about 1 kudo from a post made in 2014 ! DUH !

Hey....looks like BOTH of us had our buffer posts send to the trashcan and I strongly object!  We are definitely being singled out. Everything we have lost was due to an update. I want Comcast Jessie to explain.

I got 6 kudos today from one user on the same post from me from long long ago. I get mulitples from that user very often and its always about the same post long ago on font size. This person has never posted even one time so its strange all the way around.

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Hey....looks like BOTH of us had our buffer posts send to the trashcan and I strongly object!  We are definitely being singled out. Everything we have lost was due to an update. I want Comcast Jessie to explain.

I got 6 kudos today from one user on the same post from me from long long ago. I get mulitples from that user very often and its always about the same post long ago on font size. This person has never posted even one time so its strange all the way around.

If it's any consolation, I am very vocal about these sorts of issues. I press Xfinity all the time by sending feedback on twitter, facebook, and here. It doesn't take that much time out of my day so if they listen, great. If they don't whatever. But I'm all over them haha. 

Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [do not post any email addresses]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Most Valued Poster

This forum should be all about good, honest, to the point and concise discussion about the issues confronting users.  That is exactly the way I have seen all these posts here discussing the issues that we have concerns about.  Issues here that are a direct result of updates.  I have seen no flaming or cursing directed toward management and the subject matter staying on topic for the most part.

What Comcast needs to do is chime in and tell us what they plan on doing about these issues and don't just simply CYA and say you are working on it.  You need to do better then that.  Your customers who pay big bucks every month deserve that. 

I'm not here to bash Comcast.  If I felt that way, I would just drop all service and save myself the grief and aggravation. I am much too old for that.  What I would like is honest answers to honest questions.  

Most Valued Poster

@Again wrote:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [do not post any email addresses]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

I DID NOT violate any Forum guidelines. Why am I being singled out again?

Most Valued Poster

@TiredRetired wrote:

This forum should be all about good, honest, to the point and concise discussion about the issues confronting users.  That is exactly the way I have seen all these posts here discussing the issues that we have concerns about.  Issues here that are a direct result of updates.  I have seen no flaming or cursing directed toward management and the subject matter staying on topic for the most part.

What Comcast needs to do is chime in and tell us what they plan on doing about these issues and don't just simply CYA and say you are working on it.  You need to do better then that.  Your customers who pay big bucks every month deserve that. 

I'm not here to bash Comcast.  If I felt that way, I would just drop all service and save myself the grief and aggravation. I am much too old for that.  What I would like is honest answers to honest questions.  

@TiredRetired wrote:

Amen and Ditto. Thats why I don't understand nor  I appreciate them removing posts that are  just find for the subject matter while leaving others. We have helped each other thru many a snafu but for some reason they just won't explain things to us which makes us keep on talking about the same issues and then they remove them as not being relevant.

Administrator

@TerriB

@TerriB wrote:

@Again wrote:

I DID NOT violate any Forum guidelines. Why am I being singled out again?

The post that Again was referring to was not authored by you, but by another user. You are not being singled out. If a post is in violation of the forum guidelines or is reported multiple times by other users it is removed. 

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns about posting behavior or removed posts, please reach out to me directly. Otherwise, I will need to close this thread for too many off-topic conversations/posts. Discussion about removed posts have nothing to do with X1 updates and all posts not on that topic should be removed per the guidelines. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I noticed two things that have changed in the latest update.

1. The last channel you looked up in the mini - guide could be accessed by pressing the right arrow 2 times very quickly, even if the channel you were currently watching was a different channel. This no longer works.

2. You could get rid of the progress bar on a recording you were watching by pressing exit if you didn't want to wait for it to expire on it's own. Now, this causes the program to exit back to live TV. This is not an improvement for those of us who want to get rid of the obnoxiously large screen area the bar and text obscures.

Terri and I as well as others cannot but wonder why no Comcast rep will give a a DEFINITIVE answer on the buffer loss and zap the posts of those of us who ask WHY ?

Yesterday upon this forum

I asked a question with decorum

my post was zapped and gone to stay

I wonder why, I have to say.

I'm duplicating this one for future reference

Regular Contributor

No sooner than I list a problem with exit on the progress bar then it starts working again. Just more squirrely behavior from X1.

Valued Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

Received 1.72.05  (2/20/17)  What's new?

Regular Contributor

@RadTV wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

Received 1.72.05  (2/20/17)  What's new?

Rad, in my experience, they don't tend to give us information on the smaller updates like anything that is ".05,.06,.07, etc". they tend to do them either monthly or even quarterly. Someone from Comcast can correct me if I am wrong on this but I believe the updates happen too often for them to release info on the smaller ones.

Expert

from what I can see only get Oscar at bottom of many screens (many Icons).

Most Valued Poster

ComcastAndrew...what is the 'playlist' all about? Is it like favorites? I just noticed it.

Silver Problem Solver

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/comcast-rolls-out-tests-new-x1-features/385014

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew...what is the 'playlist' all about? Is it like favorites? I just noticed it.

It's been around for a couple of years

Custom Playlists: Create custom playlists from saved or On Demand programming. You can give each playlist a unique name and load them up with as much content as you want. For example, you may want to make one playlist with your favorite shows, one with your favorite romantic comedy movies, one with your favorite music videos, and another for your morning workout routine with fitness videos from On Demand.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

It's been around for a couple of years

Custom Playlists: Create custom playlists from saved or On Demand programming. You can give each playlist a unique name and load them up with as much content as you want. For example, you may want to make one playlist with your favorite shows, one with your favorite romantic comedy movies, one with your favorite music videos, and another for your morning workout routine with fitness videos from On Demand.

====

Whaaat? Well don't I feel foolish.  We don't make 'lists' on X1 so for some reason my eyes never noticed it.  Hubby said he never noticed either...oh well.

Thanks Andrew.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/comcast-rolls-out-tests-new-x1-features/385014

thanks..I already slapped myself on the forehead..... I bet we did notice it but never used it and for some reason we just 're-noticed' it again.

Regular Contributor

I just got the latest update and last night watching the oscars was a nightmare. The box kept rebooting. Twice during the oscars then around 9:50 pm I called Comcast and during a 15 minute conversation the box rebooted 3 more times ! UGH. The rep asked me if the box was plugged in. REALLY ! DUH ! The box finally displayed a "preparing your channel line up message"  and began working again. Now I have a appointment for a new Box.

I really don't think that the box is at fault and as I have a Service protection plan the visit will not cost me. This morning the box seems to be working again and I am loathe to replace it  because all my recordings might not get migrated to a new box from the cloud, which has been a problem for other posters on this forum.

I had this phenomenon with reboots happen a couple of years ago during the superbowl. The box was not replaced and the problem did not reappear until yesterday. This pretty much eliminates the box as the problem. I still think this is caused by some Comcast rep resetting the wrong box (mine). The Comcast rep I talked to says this cannot happen but I think that is all  Swamp Gas.

I  called Comcast a couple years ago during the superbowl reboots and was given the same runaround. I would appear that the reps have no idea about the actual cause.

I guess I was overdue for a visit from the X1 Comcast Gremlin.

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates-ComcastAndrew

Press INFO button while on the content if it can be restarted (which means the content is free, included in the free on demand movies section) hope this helps.  I always use the INFO button now that I know how to.

Sj
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I just got the latest update and last night watching the oscars was a nightmare. The box kept rebooting. Twice during the oscars then around 9:50 pm I called Comcast and during a 15 minute conversation the box rebooted 3 more times ! UGH. The rep asked me if the box was plugged in. REALLY ! DUH ! The box finally displayed a "preparing your channel line up message"  and began working again. Now I have a appointment for a new Box.

I really don't think that the box is at fault and as I have a Service protection plan the visit will not cost me. This morning the box seems to be working again and I am loathe to replace it  because all my recordings might not get migrated to a new box from the cloud, which has been a problem for other posters on this forum.

I had this phenomenon with reboots happen a couple of years ago during the superbowl. The box was not replaced and the problem did not reappear until yesterday. This pretty much eliminates the box as the problem. I still think this is caused by some Comcast rep resetting the wrong box (mine). The Comcast rep I talked to says this cannot happen but I think that is all  Swamp Gas.

I  called Comcast a couple years ago during the superbowl reboots and was given the same runaround. I would appear that the reps have no idea about the actual cause.

======

I  can't believe that its the box.  You and I don't live anywhere near each other and our box rebooted too. It happens at the oddest times here.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates-ComcastAndrew

@sjmerchant wrote:

Press INFO button while on the content if it can be restarted (which means the content is free, included in the free on demand movies section) hope this helps.  I always use the INFO button now that I know how to.

===

That would take it back to the beginning of a very very long program in the case of the Oscars and the way his box kept going off that would be tedious  to find what content had been missed.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

thanks RobertWy but I think this is a very old article, the date in the "byline" says ,"10/24/2014"

edited to remove post because I now see it doesn't matter how old the article is because it explains the playlist feature quite well. sorry for prior above post feel free to remove my post if you wish, thank you!

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

======

I  can't believe that its the box.  You and I don't live anywhere near each other and our box rebooted too. It happens at the oddest times here.

I had a tech visit yesterday and he agreed that the box was not the problem. He checked all my signal levels and they were all comfortably within spec. We both came to the conclusion that the box was attempting to update it's software and failing so it kept rebooting. When I told him the box finally started working properly after it displayed a "preparing your channel lineup" message he said that was a clue that the software had finally successfully updated.

He showed me something I had seen a long time ago and forgotten about that I wish to share with the forum community,  if you have this problem or other box problems.

1. Press the Yellow  "A" button on your remote.

2. Select the "System Refresh" from the troubleshooting Icons.

This process can take up to Ten minutes but it should force a software download/upgrade and may also cure problems with "Channel available with subscription" messages for channels you are already authorized to watch.

You can also get to this screen by selecting the tools icon from the menu you get from the Xfinity button. "Help" is just below the "Comcast Labs" selection.

Definitely worth a try before calling Comcast.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

======

I had a tech visit yesterday and he agreed that the box was not the problem. He checked all my signal levels and they were all comfortably within spec. We both came to the conclusion that the box was attempting to update it's software and failing so it kept rebooting. When I told him the box finally started working properly after it displayed a "preparing your channel lineup" message he said that was a clue that the software had finally successfully updated.

He showed me something I had seen a long time ago and forgotten about that I wish to share with the forum community,  if you have this problem or other box problems.

1. Press the Yellow  "A" button on your remote.

2. Select the "System Refresh" from the troubleshooting Icons.

This process can take up to Ten minutes but it should force a software download/upgrade and may also cure problems with "Channel available with subscription" messages for channels you are already authorized to watch.

You can also get to this screen by selecting the tools icon from the menu you get from the Xfinity button. "Help" is just below the "Comcast Labs" selection.

Definitely worth a try before calling Comcast.

===

Thanks, I would try almost anything before calling Comcast. In the past they are not at all helpful with box issues. They just want to send a tech without a lot of research or having the customer try things like you just mentioned. They should know to have us refresh...my goodness.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, I would try almost anything before calling Comcast. In the past they are not at all helpful with box issues. They just want to send a tech without a lot of research or having the customer try things like you just mentioned. They should know to have us refresh...my goodness.

+1 ...  that's why I dont' want to make a Tech Service call to have them troubleshoot my intermittent SCREEN FREEZING issue that more than a few of us are experieincing. I will deal with the 1 or 2 times per week of that annoyance rather than have a Tech "find nothing wrong" and subjecting myself to the 2-4 hour inconvenience.  (I'm STILL convinced the Screen Freeze issue is software related.).

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

+1 ...  that's why I dont' want to make a Tech Service call to have them troubleshoot my intermittent SCREEN FREEZING issue that more than a few of us are experieincing. I will deal with the 1 or 2 times per week of that annoyance rather than have a Tech "find nothing wrong" and subjecting myself to the 2-4 hour inconvenience.  (I'm STILL convinced the Screen Freeze issue is software related.).

===

Correct. Only had them here twice since X1 started and they could not replicate the issues and nothing would happen while they were here...duh! They told me I needed a new box. I fell for it the first time and lost all my recordings but second time...no thank you. Like you I just deal with the freezes,etc. We should NOT have to though.