Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Picture frozen, sound still works though

I had a "Freeze" picture last week like you did and yes, I had to hard boot the box. This has happened only a few times in the past and I suspect it is related to the DVR recording all content of the channel you are on. It just brings up the issue that bugs all of us with the loss of the buffer recording.

The way this used to work before the cloud was that the DVR was constantly recording the channel you were on and spooling the feed to the TV from the recording. I had two TV's on the same channel but only one had a DVR attached. The other TV was a direct cable connection to the same channel. The non dvr TV was a second or so ahead of the content of the DVR TV, so this would indicate that the DVR TV was being fed a spooled signal from the DVR recording. All of this indicates that it should be very easy to allow the user to record a show from the beginning even if it has been on for a while because it is just a video file on the DVR and finding the start of the file should be very easy. BUT Comcast still remains mum on why they won't allow this feature that SO MANY OF US WANT.

Wanna give us a Christmas present ? RESTORE THE BUFFER RECORDING FEATURE !

Autoextend of sports programs still doen't work consistantly. I have taken to extending the recordings manually. It is easy to tell when the cloud servers are not funtioning up to par. Everything slows to a crawl. UGH !

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

"Dreaming" request not update related. Has been answered. Post Removed from the Forums.

Expert
Moved:

Please do not assume the role of Moderator/Admin in replies to other Users. Reply Removed from the Forums.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@CCAndrew wrote:
BeowolfJones
Posted by
BeowolfJones
‎06-28-2016 12:56 PM

You have posted 300 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 200 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 100 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going! View All

@TerriB wrote:
@2themax wrote:
I had firmware 2.4p2s1 for 2 days and now I'm back to 2.3. I did notice while on 2.4 that the box was more responsive and the font used throughout the menu system was sharper and less jagged.
I never got past 2.3 as far as I know

Me either.I know Teri that you and many others feel robbed by the loss of buffer recording. The volume of posts on this subject indicates that it is probably the number one feature users of X1 would like to see restored to functionality. The fact that you can rewind on a channel back to the beginning of a show (if it hasn't been on too long) indicates the content is still available somewhere ( it should be on the DVR but maybe only the Cloud). Of all the topics we have broached on this forum, no Comcast rep has bothered to explain WHY we can't have the buffer recording feature.

The silence is deafening..

It was explained by an official employee when the buffer recording was disabled. Basically, to keep cloud recordings ( that don't have a buffer) and physical DVR recordings the same.

here, I found it for yall. Maybe somehow you did not see this when it was originally posted by Andrew in June. I hope this is helpful!

Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:
BeowolfJones
Posted by
BeowolfJones
‎06-28-2016 12:56 PM

You have posted 300 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 200 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 100 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going! View All

@TerriB wrote:
@2themax wrote:
I had firmware 2.4p2s1 for 2 days and now I'm back to 2.3. I did notice while on 2.4 that the box was more responsive and the font used throughout the menu system was sharper and less jagged.
I never got past 2.3 as far as I know

Me either.I know Teri that you and many others feel robbed by the loss of buffer recording. The volume of posts on this subject indicates that it is probably the number one feature users of X1 would like to see restored to functionality. The fact that you can rewind on a channel back to the beginning of a show (if it hasn't been on too long) indicates the content is still available somewhere ( it should be on the DVR but maybe only the Cloud). Of all the topics we have broached on this forum, no Comcast rep has bothered to explain WHY we can't have the buffer recording feature.

The silence is deafening..

It was explained by an official employee when the buffer recording was disabled. Basically, to keep cloud recordings ( that don't have a buffer) and physical DVR recordings the same.

here, I found it for yall. Maybe somehow you did not see this when it was originally posted by Andrew in June. I hope this is helpful!

Have definitely seen that.  It's a decision to have them match, but I'd argue it's a poor one.

Probably motivated by not wanting to have to deal with people who call in and complain that their cloud recording didn't contain the buffer.

But at this point the could recordings don't necessarily match what's on the physical DVR anyway.  Since the cloud storage limit was changed there can be recordings still on the DVR that have been auto-deleted from the cloud.

So if that doesn't match, then what difference does it make if a recording on the DVR is longer than the one in the cloud.  Other than someone might call in and ask...

Expert
Moved:

Post NOT Update Related and Removed from the Forums

Expert
Moved:

Post NOT Update Related and Removed from the Forums

Expert
Moved:

Valued Contributor

Hi

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I had a "Freeze" picture last week like you did and yes, I had to hard boot the box. This has happened only a few times in the past and I suspect it is related to the DVR recording all content of the channel you are on. It just brings up the issue that bugs all of us with the loss of the buffer recording.

The way this used to work before the cloud was that the DVR was constantly recording the channel you were on and spooling the feed to the TV from the recording. I had two TV's on the same channel but only one had a DVR attached. The other TV was a direct cable connection to the same channel. The non dvr TV was a second or so ahead of the content of the DVR TV, so this would indicate that the DVR TV was being fed a spooled signal from the DVR recording. All of this indicates that it should be very easy to allow the user to record a show from the beginning even if it has been on for a while because it is just a video file on the DVR and finding the start of the file should be very easy. BUT Comcast still remains mum on why they won't allow this feature that SO MANY OF US WANT.

Autoextend of sports programs still doen't work consistantly. I have taken to extending the recordings manually. It is easy to tell when the cloud servers are not funtioning up to par. Everything slows to a crawl. UGH !

Hi,

I'm sorry you had an issue with automatically extending your recording. Would you happen to remember which recent game or games did not automatically extend for you?

Thank you,

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@geek46 wrote:
Post NOT Update Related and Removed from the Forums.

I don't understand - why is this NOT "update related" and removed from here?? This Picture freezing issue started this month .. It is occuring for more cusutomers than just myself.  WHERE should this issue be reported, of not HERE?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry you had an issue with automatically extending your recording. Would you happen to remember which recent game or games did not automatically extend for you?

Thank you,

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

I believe you're asking Beowolf, but...  I can tell you the San Jose Sharks hockey game on 12/16 did not successfully auto-extend.

Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

I don't understand - why is this NOT "update related" and removed from here?? This Picture freezing issue started this month .. It is occuring for more cusutomers than just myself.  WHERE should this issue be reported, of not HERE?

It was moved here, where you've been replying to

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Technical-Issues/td-p/2339783

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

It was moved here, where you've been replying to

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Technical-Issues/td-p/2339783

Oh, I see .. Thanks Andrew 

Valued Contributor

Looking forward to new updates rolling out in 2017.

Regular Contributor

@MikeWolf wrote:

me too!! 2016 has brought about lots of wonderful additions and I can imagine much more of the same in 2017.

Valued Contributor

I'm hoping they really take to heart the requests of their users and bring back features and UI graphics they took away. Personally for me, it's the old playback controls.

Valued Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

me too!! 2016 has brought about lots of wonderful additions and I can imagine much more of the same in 2017.

I think we lost far more than we gained in 2016... at least for my usage. There wasn't anything added in 2016 that I actually use on a regular basis. I was a heavy user of the old internet interface that was removed. It was replaced with garbage. I'm hoping that 2017 is better but I am not holding my breath. 

Regular Contributor

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

I think we lost far more than we gained in 2016... at least for my usage. There wasn't anything added in 2016 that I actually use on a regular basis. I was a heavy user of the old internet interface that was removed. It was replaced with garbage. I'm hoping that 2017 is better but I am not holding my breath. 

sorry that it hasnt been as great of a year for you. for me, the new UI rocks!! and the added netflix is making my life so much easier. to each and their own! 

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

I agree totally. We keep losing valuable and useful features when they add 'focused' bells and whistles that the general user does not use. The changes to the UI lack what users have come to find so very important. Not sure where they get their input on what the customer wants/needs but its sure not from anything any of us has input.

Regular Contributor

how about being able to watch recorded shows on my ipad - and laptop - i get advertising every day from Comcast saying it is avaialble - IT IS NOT !

Regular Contributor

@applehazar wrote:

how about being able to watch recorded shows on my ipad - and laptop - i get advertising every day from Comcast saying it is avaialble - IT IS NOT !

i use that feature all the time on my iPad. just download the app!

Regular Contributor

i have the app  (really) - have had it for a year -i can watch live stations but no dvr - shows it has been thsi way for a year - specifically - downloads 0 - for you - live tv only - on demand works - BUT NO DVR - can someone from comcast answer this ?

i could use an intelligent answer - calling 1-800 - comcast doesnt work - since off shore doesnt know what X1is

Regular Contributor

@applehazar wrote:

i have the app  (really) - have had it for a year -i can watch live stations but no dvr - shows it has been thsi way for a year - specifically - downloads 0 - for you - live tv only - on demand works - BUT NO DVR - can someone from comcast answer this ?

i could use an intelligent answer - calling 1-800 - comcast doesnt work - since off shore doesnt knwo what X! is

hmmm, works for me. all you have to do is download the recorded show from the cloud onto your ipad by using the app. if it is not downloaded you can not watch it. while it is downloaded to the iPad, it will only be available to watch on the ipad and not on the DVR until you release it from the iPad. I hope that helps you! if not, hopefully a comcast rep will help you out!

Valued Contributor

@applehazar wrote:

Do you have cloud service? This feature will not work unless you do. I watch from my laptop all the time. 

Regular Contributor

nothing will download - and comcast customer service is - ok - you dont want to know my comments - they have no clue what cloud service is -

can anyone help me? 

Regular Contributor

brandonbob - i am so glad it works for you - what about us in 48108 - where there is NO COMCAST CUSTOMER SERVICE

Regular Contributor

No reply ? It screams conspiracy. Bob!!!
Regular Contributor

Dude. It's Christmas Eve. Relax. I'm sure they will get to you when they have the time. Comcast authored responses can take some time and as mentioned it is a holiday. I stopped responding earlier because you said you wanted a Comcast employee to assist you.
Regular Contributor

I don't care and you shouldn't either if you pay for a service you should get it. Bottom line !! I don't care what say it is they are being paid to ignore me like you it doesn't matter what day it is
Regular Contributor

I was trying to help you and explain how the feature worked. You then insisted you wanted a Comcast employee to reply so I stopped replying. You don't want to call Comcast. I don't know what more I can do to help you.
Regular Contributor

Ok so someone from Comcast call me ? You have my account info
Regular Contributor

Wow. No call. Comcast ?? Where are you???
Diamond Problem Solver

@applehazar wrote:

i could use an intelligent answer - calling 1-800 - comcast doesnt work - since off shore doesnt know what X1is

You don't have Cloud DVR rate codes on your account.

You were advised on a different thread back on 9/27, calling in is the way. Or use the online chat. Or visit your local service center

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-with-cloud-technology-on-the-PC-and-mobile-devices/m-p/280582...

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

REALLY - ANDREW ?  I AM IN ANN ARBOR MI - WANT TO SEE THE MAIL I GET - WE HAVE CLOUD - BUT YOU WILL NOT ADD IT TO MY ACCOUNT - WHY?

Diamond Problem Solver

@applehazar wrote:

REALLY - ANDREW ?  I AM IN ANN ARBOR MI - WANT TO SEE THE MAIL I GET - WE HAVE CLOUD - BUT YOU WILL NOT ADD IT TO MY ACCOUNT - WHY?

Sorry I don't have access to billing. I know you have Cloud, Michigan was one of the last to get it. Since you had service before Cloud service began, the rate codes have to be added after the fact.

Regular Visitor

Any upcoming 2017 updates in the Labs section? I have the X1 Primary and HD Set-up boxes (with Netflix ability and voice remote) and I would like to know since what we have now are just standard labs options that I have seen since the first time my family went for X1.

Diamond Problem Solver

@supersmilers wrote:

Any upcoming 2017 updates in the Labs section? I have the X1 Primary and HD Set-up boxes (with Netflix ability and voice remote) and I would like to know since what we have now are just standard labs options that I have seen since the first time my family went for X1.

I'm sure there will be and usually announced upon final release.

Regular Contributor

Am I the only one with 1.70.03? I haven't noticed anything new yet.
Regular Contributor

@2themax wrote:

I've got it too (Palm Beach Gardens, FL).  Haven't noticed any changes either.

Diamond Problem Solver

@rjc1247 wrote:

@2themax wrote:

Virtual Hold makes it easier for customers to talk to a representative when they experience an error by providing the ability to schedule a call.
Note: This option is offered to users when they attempt a System Refresh for the second time within 24 hours. Previously, customers were instructed to call Comcast for assistance.

Regular Contributor

@rjc1247 wrote:

@2themax wrote:

I have it.  The Last Watched on the bottom of  the screen seems to have gotten bigger.  It now takes up about 1/2 of the screen.  Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Got it also ... the 30 Sec SKIP got hosed over, again ...  tried 3 times so far to reset it to 30 Secs (from the defaul 5 min) ... struggling with that, again. Why is this so hard to set?

Suggestion to COMCAST : Why is the 30 sec skip feature hidden, like an Easter Egg or something? Why not just provide a feature in the LABS section to SET it ??????  just a thought in the whole "awesomeness" concept.

Valued Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

Got it also ... the 30 Sec SKIP got hosed over, again ...  tried 3 times so far to reset it to 30 Secs (from the defaul 5 min) ... struggling with that, again. Why is this so hard to set?

Suggestion to COMCAST : Why is the 30 sec skip feature hidden, like an Easter Egg or something? Why not just provide a feature in the LABS section to SET it ??????  just a thought in the whole "awesomeness" concept.

I feel your pain. Had this problem last week. I rebooted the box and then was able to reset it to 30 seconds. 

Regular Contributor

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

I feel your pain. Had this problem last week. I rebooted the box and then was able to reset it to 30 seconds. 

I'm rebooting almost daily due the the "Fozen Picture" issue that start back in the early December update.  Awesome.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

Echo echo echo. Comcast....Why is setting/changing SKIP time such a big secret and if you are not in the 'know' you are not even aware that it can be changed. I learned it on the forums. At least have it shown in 'tips and tricks' on the help screens. I keep mine on 30 so hope its not hosed up after the update.