Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

adding...

while watching a recorded show with padding the next button appears and you can quicly go to the end of the recording point and then page up or fast-rewind to get to a nearby point in the recording.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I am sorry but I don't see the big deal of Comcast lab TEST versions not being the identical to what is released to the platform. Apple does this as do many companies in their beta programs. a simple google search shows how often beta releases have features that are either changed significantly or completely left off when the beta goes live to all.

It really should not be a surprise when labs, which is basically beta, is not identical when it goes live. Now, I do agree that the labs version was better than what we got when it went live but the live version should be looked as if labs never existed because the labs was really just that a test of the feature.

therefore, the way I evaluate the current feature is to ignore what was in labs because i was not part of the actual beta group that made decisions on how to implement it to all. I then take the time to decide if it works for me and it absolutely without a doubt does. Just my 2 cents!

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

adding...

while watching a recorded show with padding the next button appears and you can quicly go to the end of the recording point and then page up or fast-rewind to get to a nearby point in the recording.

HUH? Are you saying that 'next' has a different use if we are using padding vs not using padding? I never use padding and when I select 'next' it take me to the next episode but doesn't ask me if I want to delete the one I just watched AND if there is not a 'next' episode it does nothing.  What you are describing sure sounds like 'skip to end' which is gone.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I am sorry but I don't see the big deal of Comcast lab TEST versions not being the identical to what is released to the platform. Apple does this as do many companies in their beta programs. a simple google search shows how often beta releases have features that are either changed significantly or completely left off when the beta goes live to all.

It really should not be a surprise when labs, which is basically beta, is not identical when it goes live. Now, I do agree that the labs version was better than what we got when it went live but the live version should be looked as if labs never existed because the labs was really just that a test of the feature.

therefore, the way I evaluate the current feature is to ignore what was in labs because i was not part of the actual beta group that made decisions on how to implement it to all. I then take the time to decide if it works for me and it absolutely without a doubt does. Just my 2 cents!

I don't really care what Apple does by the way.  This forum is for service with Comcast. 

I supervised beta teams for Bell Labs and their purpose was to find bugs and to tweak.... NOT to reinvent the wheel in mid stream.  My user base would have been irate.  Putting into production a feature that is nothing like the lab/beta version is just wrong on so many levels. The production version of the playback controls looks very different from the Labs version.  I call it bait and switch.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I don't really care what Apple does by the way.  This forum is for service with Comcast. 

I supervised beta teams for Bell Labs and their purpose was to find bugs and to tweak.... NOT to reinvent the wheel in mid stream.  My user base would have been irate.  Putting into production a feature that is nothing like the lab/beta version is just wrong on so many levels. The production version of the playback controls looks very different from the Labs version.  I call it bait and switch.

I am aware this is for comcast but what i was describing is how beta programs work by showing an example.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I am aware this is for comcast but what i was describing is how beta programs work by showing an example.

Your experience with Beta testing is completely opposite of mine. I have supervised more than one beta team and they would have ridden me out of town on a rail if I had done what Comcast did. I was on a national team of ten to design a new work ticketing system for AT&T and each of the ten regions did their own Beta testing on more than one feature. If changes were to be made as a result of the Beta we reported that to the users BEFORE any rollout and got consensus

. Comcast blindsided us...period. They offered a new feature and we tested it and gave feedback and then they rolled out another version anyway.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

adding...

HUH? Are you saying that 'next' has a different use if we are using padding vs not using padding? I never use padding and when I select 'next' it take me to the next episode but doesn't ask me if I want to delete the one I just watched AND if there is not a 'next' episode it does nothing.  What you are describing sure sounds like 'skip to end' which is gone.

I nearly universally add to all series 1 in front and 5 at the end. Playing back those assets 'enables' the next and 'to beginning'  (left tab). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

adding...

I nearly universally add to all series 1 in front and 5 at the end. Playing back those assets 'enables' the next and 'to beginning'  (left tab). 

===

I would be plagued with recording conflicts all over the place if I padded. I just didn't understand how 'next' works differently when using padding because it sure has no purpose for those of us not padding. Skip to end made sense.

Contributor

Andrew,

Do you know what the recent update 1.69.03 consist of?

Thanks.
Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yes, "skip to end" was of some use. I can't help but wonder how Comcast decides to implement real time versions of Comcast labs beta test functions. It sure doesn't appear that they pay attention to what we post on this forum. Their test group must be monkeys watching TV in a lab like in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"  scene.

Exactly my point....they put a Labs version out there and allowed us to use it and give input. They even took our pushback that the original 'skip to end' was not doing what it should and lo and behold they fixed it.  BUT THEN they took a product we had given positive feedback about and changed the good features of it before releasing it as a platform feature. What kind of sense does that make and why am I even asking that question?

I WANT Andrew or someone to explain the rationale behind what they did

It was up to the design team. There were many tweaks to the playback controls ( whether you were aware of them or not). Something that wasn't posted is the addition of the Highlights tab on the controls of the recording of NFL or EPL games.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@bruistopher wrote:
Andrew,

Thanks.

I do, but prefer to wait until it's in full release to post full information.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew

Do you know if the bug where when you try and delete a dvr recording it remians in your dvr recording list? It is sent to the recycle bin even though it remians in the dvr recording list.

Restarting the box seems to remove it though.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew

Can you please ask the X1 team if they can add these 2 features please Smiley Happy

1. Option to display all your "favorites" like TV Shows, Movies, Sports teams and so on in ABC alphabetical order.

2. Option to change the X1 theme to the nice and happy Blue color that is used in the kids zone.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew

Why is the IOS and Android XFINITY TV app so much faster and smoother then using X1 on the dvr boxes?

In the future will we ever get the same speed and smoothness on the X1 dvr boxes as we get from the XFINITY TV IOS and Android apps?

Thanks

Most Valued Poster

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastAndrew

Do you know if the bug where when you try and delete a dvr recording it remians in your dvr recording list? It is sent to the recycle bin even though it remians in the dvr recording list.

Thanks

==That bug has been around for a long time. Some of us have given Comcast rep examples for them to research at their request but its still happening. We call them 'ghost deletes'. Rather than restart the box use 'sync dvr' on device settings....that works. It is a very annoying bug.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yes, "skip to end" was of some use. I can't help but wonder how Comcast decides to implement real time versions of Comcast labs beta test functions. It sure doesn't appear that they pay attention to what we post on this forum. Their test group must be monkeys watching TV in a lab like in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"  scene.

Exactly my point....they put a Labs version out there and allowed us to use it and give input. They even took our pushback that the original 'skip to end' was not doing what it should and lo and behold they fixed it.  BUT THEN they took a product we had given positive feedback about and changed the good features of it before releasing it as a platform feature. What kind of sense does that make and why am I even asking that question?

I WANT Andrew or someone to explain the rationale behind what they did

It was up to the design team. There were many tweaks to the playback controls ( whether you were aware of them or not). Something that wasn't posted is the addition of the Highlights tab on the controls of the recording of NFL or EPL games.

Thanks Andrew . I guess the design team works on its own with no idea of what the user community finds useful or not? How do they get input as to what works and what doesn't for the user while its in Labs? I thought that was Labs was for?

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastAndrew

Thanks

==That bug has been around for a long time. Some of us have given Comcast rep examples for them to research at their request but its still happening. We call them 'ghost deletes'. Rather than restart the box use 'sync dvr' on device settings....that works. It is a very annoying bug.

Yeah, I seem to still get this from time to time but doesn't seem nearly as often as I used to get it. Use to get it daily. Now it's only a couple of days a week if that. Have others noticed that?

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastAndrew

Thanks

Yeah, I seem to still get this from time to time but doesn't seem nearly as often as I used to get it. Use to get it daily. Now it's only a couple of days a week if that. Have others noticed that?

Yep it does not happen as often but on the days it does happen, it happens often. Yesterday it happened 4 times

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Grrrrr !

Twice now in less than an hour the X1 system has the box ignoring the remote. I was trying to switch the channel back to watch the finish of the Eagles Packers game but Nooooo ! the box igored the remote again. (The first time I rebooted and got everything back but about 30 minutes later it did it again).

1. Can't change channel

2. No Guide except mini but it doesn't work and can't change the channel that way either.

3. No "Last" feature

4. No Xfinity button.

By the time I rebooted again the game was over.

What a pain !  Score another one for the Xfinity Gremlin.

New Poster

My remote has also stopped responding a few times tonight. Having to reset my box everytime is super annoying, especially with how long the darn thing takes to restart. Not a happy camper.
Silver Problem Solver

My remote was having issues last night.  I used my smartphone Xfinity Account App and it said there was an issue that Comcast was working on.

My remote works today.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

I am relieved to read that last night's remote issues were not isolated. I knew my battery was low so thought that was the problem but that didn't do the trick. Had all the issues Beowulf listed..aka...could do almost nothing with remote including get to restart command.  I crawled behind the tv twice to unplug/restart which fixed it for a few minutes and then Wham....no functionality again and again. This all started after 10PM here in Virginia.  I crossed my fingers this morning that the gremlins had left the building and so far so good. Wonder if we will ever know what happened.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Same issues of remote freeze for several hours last night in CA.   At some times ff and rw would work, but guide/exit/xfininty would not.  Other times total freeze out.

Also an occasional partially populated guide popping up on the screen, which then could be removed by pressing exit, which for some reason the X1 would actually recognize.

Reboot to fix.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

Same issues of remote freeze for several hours last night in CA.   At some times ff and rw would work, but guide/exit/xfininty would not.  Other times total freeze out.

Also an occasional partially populated guide popping up on the screen, which then could be removed by pressing exit, which for some reason the X1 would actually recognize.

Reboot to fix.

My screen was stuck on a DVR recording that had ended and after messing with the remote the first time around I ended up with small picture on the left  and the rest was blank where the mini guide usually is.  I could not make anything work and now I have to giggle as I picture all the users out there trying all sorts of tricks to make something happen. It was maddening after a while.  Reboot did work but had to be done the hard way here and not just once.

New Poster

Same issues that everyone else had with their remote. Was transferred to tech support. Over 1 hour on hold and never got to talk to an agent. Tried rebooting several times. Fixed the problem temporarily, but would freeze again. Automated phone agent tried rebooting box, but that didn't work. Also told me no problems in my area. What happened to 24/7 support? 

I think some programmer didn't test his code properly and that is what caused the freeze when they inserted it in one of their nightly updates.  Don't know why Comcast can't own up to having a problem, when they know what the problem is, instead of telling everyone that a reboot will cure the issue.

Regular Contributor

@mikiec wrote:

Same issues that everyone else had with their remote. Was transferred to tech support. Over 1 hour on hold and never got to talk to an agent. Tried rebooting several times. Fixed the problem temporarily, but would freeze again. Automated phone agent tried rebooting box, but that didn't work. Also told me no problems in my area. What happened to 24/7 support? 

I think some programmer didn't test his code properly and that is what caused the freeze when they inserted it in one of their nightly updates.  Don't know why Comcast can't own up to having a problem, when they know what the problem is, instead of telling everyone that a reboot will cure the issue.

You're making a huge assumption that they have any clue what's going on...

Expert

the non-response/freezing/can't change channel/etc issue was acknowledged by comcast on Twitter using @ComcastCares and they posted a few hours later that the issue was fixed.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

the non-response/freezing/can't change channel/etc issue was acknowledged by comcast on Twitter using @ComcastCares and they posted a few hours later that the issue was fixed.

SO NOW we are supposed to rely on a social media chat service like Twitter for acknowledgements and solutions from Comcast? I strongly object and push back on that. I have absolutely no use for Twitter and never will. Its totally extraneous to the process of reporting and solving X1 issues.  Comcast website and these forums should be the primary points of contact for users.  There should always be a place on Comcast.net that shows issues and solutions and I don't mean local 'outages' . This is beyond ridiculous for Twitter to be THE PLACE to find out whats going on. I do realize that there are many sources of info out there where Comcast is concerned but....... GOOD GOD! Why should we have to become part of a chat  matrix just to find out whats up when the system goes haywire on a national scale.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Facebook

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

SO NOW we are supposed to rely on a social media chat service like Twitter for acknowledgements and solutions from Comcast? I strongly object and push back on that. I have absolutely no use for Twitter and never will. Its totally extraneous to the process of reporting and solving X1 issues.  Comcast website and these forums should be the primary points of contact for users.  There should always be a place on Comcast.net that shows issues and solutions and I don't mean local 'outages' . This is beyond ridiculous for Twitter to be THE PLACE to find out whats going on. I do realize that there are many sources of info out there where Comcast is concerned but....... GOOD GOD! Why should we have to become part of a chat  matrix just to find out whats up when the system goes haywire on a national scale.

Facebook ? Get real Comcast !

I don't use it and it is totally BOGUS that we should have to subscribe to a service I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole to find out information about a X! problem. How about the stupid automated phone system telling you to check for outages on the Comcast web site, when you're calling because you have no Internet connection ?

BOGUS !

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Facebook ? Get real Comcast !

I don't use it and it is totally BOGUS that we should have to subscribe to a service I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole to find out information about a X! problem. How about the stupid automated phone system telling you to check for outages on the Comcast web site, when you're calling because you have no Internet connection ?

BOGUS !

----

OMG...you mean Facebook is another place we are SUPPOSED to be looking for answers? OR did you mean Twitter ? I have a Facebook acct but its sure not for Comcast issues and I despise Twitter. Its all about ranting and bragging and should not be something Comcast should use to solve problems and report solutions. Are you kidding me?

HOW many places does Comcast expect us to search for answers? Comcast.net/Forums/Twitter/Facebook/other forums someone mentioned recently and what else?

Regular Contributor

I think Twitter is just an extra method of communicating information. It's not bad if you use it and decide to subscribe to the Comcast feed. There is also the My Account app for Android/IOS that can provide outage information, though I don't know if it had any alerts the other night. I actually, luckily it seems, was not hit by that remote control outage here north of Atlanta.

Most Valued Poster

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I think Twitter is just an extra method of communicating information. It's not bad if you use it and decide to subscribe to the Comcast feed. There is also the My Account app for Android/IOS that can provide outage information, though I don't know if it had any alerts the other night. I actually, luckily it seems, was not hit by that remote control outage here north of Atlanta.

To me Twitter is for the masses to communicate general conversations in short paragraphs ( or these days for 'you know who' to barrage the world with his rantings, condemnations  and meanspiritedness). It should  not be 'CNN' for critical issues to the Comcast community about our DVR/X1 platform.  I cannot imagine following Comcast Twitter feed AND the forums and all the other places  Comcast apparently posts what we need to know....HOLY COW!  I have 'my acct' on my phone and tablet and there were zero alerts. Seems so far the ONLY alert was on Twitter? HOW CAN THAT BE RIGHT?

Whats wrong with having issues reported on the 'community forums' ( which we already do) and have Comcast report on what happened and when things get fixed. OR give us ONE place to look. This was not an outage so that part of comcast.net would be of no use. Usually when I have an outage it involves the whole bundle so  I cannot go to comcast.net to see about an outage or use Comcast voice to call unless I use my cell phone. This happens with the electric when it goes out. You call on cell and they tell you to go their website to report. OMG..what has this world come to? And now Twitter is where I supposed to get my X1 news?

As you probably know already....It would be like handcuffing me to expect me to speak in 140 characters bytes.

Regular Contributor

I'm not saying it's the primary or only method of communication, just that it's an extra optional one that can be useful. Comcast is far from the only company that uses it. And with all due respect, and not in the Ricky Bobby way, I think you underestimate the number of people who use Twitter (in general) and overestimate the number of people that use these forums. I do agree an outages board, if one does not already exist here, would be useful too.

Most Valued Poster

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I'm not saying it's the primary or only method of communication, just that it's an extra optional one that can be useful. Comcast is far from the only company that uses it. And with all due respect, and not in the Ricky Bobby way, I think you underestimate the number of people who use Twitter (in general) and overestimate the number of people that use these forums. I do agree an outages board, if one does not already exist here, would be useful too.

@I totally 'get it' that gazillions use Twitter. Its just not for me.  Email and Facebook keep me more than occupied and I am not part of the generation who thinks  everything they say and do is news worthy and have to tweet every 30 seconds in case they miss posting something like what they had for lunch. Having @ComcastCares tells me that Comcast is 'pushing' users toward twitter and did they ever advertise  or send emails about that being the place to go? Nope. I just wish they would give users a 'pecking order' list of where to report problems and  find info when things go upside down.  What started my anguish about this was the fact that the ONLY place the 'freeze' was recognized by other than forum users and the 'fix' reported was on Twitter.  We need to know who and where to go for real help and reporting problems. Calling has not proven useful for things that go bump in the night like what happened the other day/night with the freeze issue. They always want to send a tech to the house to give a false sense of security and the majority of what we experience is platform....not local equipment so a tech visit is futile. Perfect example is the old X1 font size' problem.  They wanted to send tech out  to show me how to  adjust it or change out the box........OMG. Where do they train these reps?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I didn't realize that there was such a wide outtage until reading this forum the next day.  When my X1 started hanging up, I used the My Account android app to see what the problem was.  Unfortunately, it told me nothing.  It seemed to indicate that all was well and that just my X1 had issues.  I used it to re-boot the box, but as many know, that did not fix the problem.  I tweeted to comcastcares about the lack of information via My Account, since they seem  to be pushing that app a lot lately.  They responded that they would forward my suggestion to the app team.  We'll see how far that gets.

And by the way lightstorm22, I am north of Atlanta too!

Official Employee

@bruistopher wrote:
Andrew,

Thanks.

1.69 includes 

Graduated Game Highlights for DVR recordings of NFL and EPL games from Comcast Labs, so all X1 users can now access the feature via the Highlights button in their playback controls, similar to Closed Captioning.

Updated full-screen Search to now display an image of the voice remote from XFINITY (XR11) instead of the XR5 remote.
Updated mini Search to display No Results messaging when a query does not yield any results.

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

Sweet!! Thanks for quick update, ComcastAndrew!
Official Employee
Moved:

Moved again to customer service,for an official response, non-X1 related, previous post is called what it was because it's the name of the post you replied to

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Sports guide

I have a suggestion. The sports mini guide you get with the red button could be improved if it would stay on the sport you last selected to view. I have been watching several college football games tonight and every time I exit the guide it defaults back to the NFL requiring me to waste time arrowing right to get back to the college game stats etc.

As has been stated on this forum before, why doesn't the guide show what channel the game is on ?

Small improvements but I think most of us would really appreciate them. Perhaps a setting could be tested in Comcast labs.

Valued Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I have a suggestion. The sports mini guide you get with the red button could be improved if it would stay on the sport you last selected to view. I have been watching several college football games tonight and every time I exit the guide it defaults back to the NFL requiring me to waste time arrowing right to get back to the college game stats etc.

As has been stated on this forum before, why doesn't the guide show what channel the game is on ?

Small improvements but I think most of us would really appreciate them. Perhaps a setting could be tested in Comcast labs.

I agree, those are great ideas... as a workaround you can had the games to favorites then they should come up on the first page. I know, its annoying to add all the game to favorites but if you are checking over and over it does help.

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Good ideas.

There are a half a dozen times this platform should default back to what you last used.

#1 being the Xfinity button.

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I agree, those are great ideas... as a workaround you can had the games to favorites then they should come up on the first page. I know, its annoying to add all the game to favorites but if you are checking over and over it does help.

I hate to have to tell you this but the favorite team games/results  don't always come up on the first page. I have never reported this as I feel it would be futile. Sometimes this goes on for days.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Picture frozen, sound still works though

First time I've seen this since the latest update 1.69.05

Today at 11:30 AM PDT,  Picture just FROZE - but the sound was continuing to work fine. Switched Channels - picture would not change, remained frozen & the sound was always from the same channel even though I changed it.  e.g., from CNN to MSNBC to CNN to MSNBC.  

Hard reboted the X1

Expert

@Cody21 wrote:

Today at 11:30 AM PDT,  Picture just FROZE - but the sound was continuing to work fine. Switched Channels - picture would not change, remained frozen & the sound was always from the same channel even though I changed it.  e.g., from CNN to MSNBC to CNN to MSNBC.  

Hard reboted the X1

Picture FREEZING is not update related, but rather a signal issue.  The reboot reacquired signal.

Regular Contributor

If you say so

@geek46 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Hard reboted the X1

Picture FREEZING is not update related, but rather a signal issue.  The reboot reacquired signal.

If you say so ... But my signal is SOLID - has been ever since installation.  Like I said though - the SOUND was working perfectly on EVERY channel I switched to. It was just the picture that was the same on every channel - frozen in place.  Never EVER saw this before latest update. Time will tell.

Official Employee

@Cody21 wrote:

If you say so

@geek46 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Hard reboted the X1

If you say so ... But my signal is SOLID - has been ever since installation.  Like I said though - the SOUND was working perfectly on EVERY channel I switched to. It was just the picture that was the same on every channel - frozen in place.  Never EVER saw this before latest update. Time will tell.

It isn't a signal ( solid like you state) but rather the DVR wasn't what they call  "tuner ready". It was having issues pulling the channels all the way ( why the audio changed but picture remained) that instance was the only time hat error has happened to your dvr. You should have seen error code XRE 03047

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

If you say so

@geek46 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Hard reboted the X1

It isn't a signal ( solid like you state) but rather the DVR wasn't what they call  "tuner ready". It was having issues pulling the channels all the way ( why the audio changed but picture remained) that instance was the only time hat error has happened to your dvr. You should have seen error code XRE 03047

Thanks Andrew .. your response actually makes more sense to me.  Didn't see that error code though. I "played" with it for about 3 mins & finally just pulled the power to reboot it. Fixed after the reboot.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

If you say so

@geek46 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Hard reboted the X1

So, this happened once again yesterday.  Had to again unplug the box & reboot it.  Honestly, never saw this issue until this latest UPDATE.