Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I have an account, but it was just too slow. This was when it was still in Labs. It just wasn't worth it compared to launching it from my Xbox One or Samsung TV. Maybe it will get better later, it just didn't seem ready for primetime. I may try it again in the future. My kids watch more than me anyway. The benefit will be the integration of X1 searches including Netflix content.

Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I have an account and it was just too slow. This was when it was still in Labs. It just was not worth it compared to just launching it from my Xbox One or directly on my Samsung TV. Maybe it will get better later, it just didn't seem ready for primetime. I may try it again in the future. My kids watch more than me anyway. The benefit will be the integration of X1 searches including Netflix content.

I did not have access to it when it was in labs or I did not notice it so I do not have that to compare to. If you ever get a spare moment might be worthwhile to see if it improved for you from when it was once in labs to now that it is live to all x1 subscribers. just a thought...

Regular Contributor

Pretty simple test. We have a smart oled tv with internet.

We accessed Netflix via our tv. Diff a search fur a 4K UHD program. Started it and did an info. It in fact shows as 4K UHD.

Now accessed Netflix via the X1 box in Apps. Exact same search, same program as before. Displayed info on it, It shows only as HD ... NOT 4K UHD !!!

So, Netflix is NOT 4K Uhd via Comcast.
Most Valued Poster

I just noticed the super fast forward / rewind ⚡️ feature on the new controls. Good addition.

Please make Down + OK always go to Closed Captioning though.

Regular Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

We accessed Netflix via our tv. Diff a search fur a 4K UHD program. Started it and did an info. It in fact shows as 4K UHD.

Now accessed Netflix via the X1 box in Apps. Exact same search, same program as before. Displayed info on it, It shows only as HD ... NOT 4K UHD !!!

No, the X1 boxes today are not 4K capable. The next generation boxes will be 4K, but I don't know when they're coming out. That is a good point though, if you want to watch 4K content you'll need to use your TV app or Xbox One S.

Gold Problem Solver

Of course it isn't 4K. Comcast doesn't have a 4K capable box.

I will just ride off into the sunset watching Netflix in 4K UHD with DD Plus audio on my Roku Ultra which I paid $79.

Oh by the way the Roku box is much faster responding...

@Cody21 wrote:

Most Valued Poster

Another good addition with the new playback controls -

When changing a channel, the info is displayed instantly, making flipping through channels easier.

You used to have to wait for the current channel info to come up.

Started to like the new controls. Lighting ffwd/rwd is awesome.
Valued Contributor

What's included in the update 1.68.08 from 11/10/16?

Highlighted
Expert

@RadTV wrote:

Only change I've noticed is that the percentage used of the DVR storage has been corrected.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@RadTV wrote:

Graduated the New Video Playback Controls from Comcast Labs; the updated design is now the default view for all X1 users.

Added a Watch button to Sports Team entity pages for tuning to live games.

Redesigned Mini Info gallery rows to cover less of the program that’s currently airing on-screen.

Added a new Power Saver Mode option to Comcast Labs known as Maximum Savings that will keep only minimal functionality active when the X1 TV box is on standby.

Added a new HDMI Link feature to Comcast Labs, which allows the TV set and X1 TV box to coordinate power states.
Note: The two Comcast Labs features listed above are only available on Xi3 devices.

1.69 coming soon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Why is the hdmi link power coordination only for xi3's?

I would use power saver all the time but im used to using the TV power button, which, when power save is on, only turns on tv, not the cable box.

If power coordination + power save (no option to disable, but keep hour options) becomes a standard feature (on all boxes), it would allow for only 1 power button on a future remote, right?

Its not a big deal to me at all but it would be nice if it worked that way in the future. Less power being used for all customers.
Most Valued Poster

Im on 1.68.08 11/10

But i dont notice a smaller info section?

Is the smaller redesign supposed to be the part that comes up when just pressing Info, while watching live tv?
Most Valued Poster

And a request :

Currently the "B" button does nothing.
Can we make the B button go straight to our Recordings page.

Right now it takes like 5 button presses to get to the recordings page.

Diamond Problem Solver

@adammusic22 wrote:
And a request :

Currently the "B" button does nothing.
Can we make the B button go straight to our Recordings page.

Right now it takes like 5 button presses to get to the recordings page.

Actually the B button gives you a small screen showing what is playing when the guide is up.

Do you use your Voice Commands ( if you have the Voice Remote)  and say "Recordings"

Diamond Problem Solver

@adammusic22 wrote:
Im on 1.68.08 11/10

But i dont notice a smaller info section?

Is the smaller redesign supposed to be the part that comes up when just pressing Info, while watching live tv?

The mini gallery is when you arrow down after pressing info ( Cast & Crew, More From...)

Most Valued Poster

Ahh i see it thanks !
Most Valued Poster

I thought B did something somewhere but I never use that.

Didnt realize u can say "recordings".
I still type just as much as i speak for searching and commands. It depends.

But a dedicated recordings button would still be nice. Maybe a Toggle to use B as "Go to Recordings" or "Display mini video feed while in guide".

Based on my usage, i would say "go to recordings" would be way more popular, at least for a DVR user, who rarely uses the guide.

Regular Contributor

@adammusic22 wrote:

But a dedicated recordings button would still be nice. Maybe a Toggle to use B as "Go to Recordings" or "Display mini video feed while in guide".

Based on my usage, i would say "go to recordings" would be way more popular, at least for a DVR user, who rarely uses the guide.

i actualy use the picture in picture feature often and it works in more places than the guide. it also works in your DVR recordings page. my only "complaint" with the feature is it doesnt remember overnight when the box reboots that the setting was enabled so you have to reenable it daily. I am sure eventually this will be made more sticky but for now I just turn it on daily. it isnt a real complaint though in my opinion as it isnt time consuming to press it daily.

Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

Graduated the New Video Playback Controls from Comcast Labs; the updated design is now the default view for all X1 users.

Added a Watch button to Sports Team entity pages for tuning to live games.

Redesigned Mini Info gallery rows to cover less of the program that’s currently airing on-screen.

Added a new Power Saver Mode option to Comcast Labs known as Maximum Savings that will keep only minimal functionality active when the X1 TV box is on standby.

Added a new HDMI Link feature to Comcast Labs, which allows the TV set and X1 TV box to coordinate power states.
Note: The two Comcast Labs features listed above are only available on Xi3 devices.

1.69 coming soon

I received an email from Comcast on 11/17 that said the Last 9 would reflect items watched on Netflix.  It doesn't.  Is that in the 1.69 release?

Regular Contributor

@adammusic22 wrote:

Xfinity button should be "programmable" so it can default to open to whatever you use most.

Since it currently opens to the same place as the button next to it...

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

Xfinity button should be "programmable" so it can default to open to whatever you use most.

Since it currently opens to the same place as the button next to it...

That's a really good suggestion.

Contributor

Does anyone know what the little TV symbol means when you press the "C" key and the sports scores come up on the right?

Regular Contributor

@OldTVGuide wrote:

Does anyone know what the little TV symbol means when you press the "C" key and the sports scores come up on the right?

not sure I know what you mean but intuitively I would guess it means the game in the scores list you are referring to is available to watch on TV?

Valued Contributor

@OldTVGuide wrote:

The game is being televised. 

Regular Contributor

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@OldTVGuide wrote:

The game is being televised. 

thanks for confirming this. I was just guessing based on intuitiveness but glad to hear my guess was accurate!

Contributor

Thanks for the replies! It was driving me nuts. All the scores are listed, but only some have that little TV thing showing.

Regular Contributor

I'm glad you asked, cause I never even noticed it, and always clicked on every one to see which said "Watch".
Most Valued Poster

I have been out of the country since Nov 2 and turned off forum notifications while I was gone. I have tons of stuff to read.  Looking at the   Upcoming  X1 Updates first I see some news and comments about the new Playback Controls and want to add my own digest of comments/concerns….

When these were first on Labs the ‘skip to end’ took us back to the recordings list and we wanted it to simply take us to the end of the recording for Rewind options to get to certain places near the end.  That got fixed rather quickly and most of us seemed very pleased with the final  Labs version of the new controls.

I get back from vacation and the Playback Controls are like an alien got in there and ruined them when they were taken off Labs and made part of the platform. .  Now there is no ‘skip to end’  which was very valuable and was modified after forum member input  and now it  has been replaced with ‘Next’ . ’Next’  takes us to the next episode recording but does not give  the option to delete the current episode recording. What in the world happened ? I don’t understand how something in Labs could be changed so dramatically when made permanent after feedback we gave about the final Labs version.

Can someone help me understand what happened?  ‘Next’ is useless and confusing. ‘Skip to end’ was wonderful and so useful.

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@OldTVGuide wrote:

not sure I know what you mean but intuitively I would guess it means the game in the scores list you are referring to is available to watch on TV?

Regarding this "C" Sports feature -- Suggestion:  PLEASE include/show the CHANNEL number that the event is airing on ! or at least if we press INFO on it in that "C" guide.  I was trying to find which station an upcoming college game was on and couldn't find it on that "C" display. So I just went ahead and clicked RECORD, went to the pending Recordings list to find the channel number, Deleted the pending recording, then had to ADD the channel to my FAVS. Kind of tedious ... Yea, I probably should have just used thte VOICE search ..  but still. I think the Channel ID on the SPORTS guide would be a nice feature.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@OldTVGuide wrote:

Regarding this "C" Sports feature -- Suggestion:  PLEASE include/show the CHANNEL number that the event is airing on ! or at least if we press INFO on it in that "C" guide.  I was trying to find which station an upcoming college game was on and couldn't find it on that "C" display. So I just went ahead and clicked RECORD, went to the pending Recordings list to find the channel number, Deleted the pending recording, then had to ADD the channel to my FAVS. Kind of tedious ... Yea, I probably should have just used thte VOICE search ..  but still. I think the Channel ID on the SPORTS guide would be a nice feature.

I totally agree Cody......its so frustrating to not be able to see the Channel that the event will be on for future reference to find/watch. Need this feature for all games . Not all are televised so that makes the process even worse.  My college is listed on my 'faves' and the games are listed but not always televised so I hunt all over the guide looking for it...what a waste of time and effort and like what you did....TEDIOUS.  If the channel was shown for televised events and there was not a channel shown for certain games listed then I could 'figure out' that it was not going to be televised......LOL

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I have an account and it was just too slow. This was when it was still in Labs. It just was not worth it compared to just launching it from my Xbox One or directly on my Samsung TV. Maybe it will get better later, it just didn't seem ready for primetime. I may try it again in the future. My kids watch more than me anyway. The benefit will be the integration of X1 searches including Netflix content.

I did not have access to it when it was in labs or I did not notice it so I do not have that to compare to. If you ever get a spare moment might be worthwhile to see if it improved for you from when it was once in labs to now that it is live to all x1 subscribers. just a thought...

Ok I tried it last night. My daughter likes sharks and used the voice command to find Jaws. It's very cool that Netflix content shows up in the results. So first it took forever to load, like before, then I had to sign in. I know I signed in before when I first turned it on in Labs, from the main DVR. This time I was on an Xi3. Hopefully it doesn't make you every time, because it's tedious. Then it took forever to start playing, it got a few seconds into the credits, and locked up the whole box and the screen froze. It was not responsive to any commands, so I power cycled it.

Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Ok I tried it last night. My daughter likes sharks and used the voice command to find Jaws. It's very cool that Netflix content shows up in the results. So first it took forever to load, like before, then I had to sign in. I know I signed in before when I first turned it on in labs, from the main DVR. This time i was on an Xi3. Hopefully it doesn't make you every time, because it's tedious. Then it took forever to start playing, it got a few seconds into the credits, and locked up the whole box and the screen froze. It was not responsive to any commands, so I power cycled it.

strange, I have not had this experience. Mine saves my log in info and the stream is near flawless without any sort of freezing or other stream related issues. I am also on the blast pro speed so maybe my speed is faster than yours. I dont know, just a guess

Regular Contributor

I have 75 Mbps service, which is more than enough for HD Netflix, but your X1 box does not use your High Speed Internet cable modem service anyway. It has its own embedded CM with its own data flows.
Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:
I have 75 Mbps service, which is more than enough for HD Netflix, but your X1 box does not use your High Speed Internet cable modem service anyway. It has its own embedded CM with its own data flows.

sorry, i knew that. Good point though. Sorry to hear you are not having the same experience as I and the others who have posted here about Netlfix streaming on the x1 box. Hope it gets better for you!

Regular Contributor

I'm with you TerB about the lack of channel info in the red button activated drop down menus. DUH !  This constitutes a real blunder on the part of the programmers.  I don't miss the "go to end" much as superspeed gets me to the end of long recordings so quickly. The "Next" icon is really useless. I have been watching every football game on and every recording says "autoextend" has been enabled even though I have it turned off in "Comcast Labs". That doesn't appear to be a problem as it never works when a game runs over the scheduled time. The recording is strictly confined to the time listed in the schedule. I wonder what would happen if I actually enabled it. As a former programmer I wonder what the recording program would key on when the schedule shows the program is over and lists another show occupying the time slot. This happens a lot in football games especially when the game goes into overtime or has a big weather delay like the Tampa Bay game a couple of months ago.

( maybe Comcast has a double secret probation signal embedded in the broadcast stream when a game goes over schedule )

?

Expert

@lightstorm22 wrote:

adding...

Currently the Xg1 (DVR) and the Xg2 (companion) are the only x1 Set Top Boxes that have the internal modem. The Xi3/XiD use an available XG device's data modem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

adding...

Currently the Xg1 (DVR) and the Xg2 (companion) are the only x1 Set Top Boxes that have the internal modem. The Xi3/XiD use an available XG device's data modem.

sure, i agree with this but since it also uses data caps in areas that have data caps I have a feeling that whichever Internet plan you have may affect quality. for example, I have blast pro, so my thinking is that even though it is a different modem the plan I am on may affect quality and may explain why some of us are having better quality netflix. however, this would be a better question for andrew.

Regular Contributor

That can't be the case. Ben makes a good clarification though, but the point being is that Netflix on X1 does not use the HSI service on your cable modem.
Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:
That can't be the case. Ben makes a good clarification though, but the point being is that Netflix on X1 does not use the HSI service on your cable modem.

how can you possibly know that? how can you possibly know that the level of quality of the stream from netflix is not dependent on what plan you have, eg, blast or blast pro. your answer of that cant be the case doesnt explain it, hence my follow up.

Regular Contributor

It's just because X1 is a separate service from HSI. It has its own data flows on the CMTS. So whatever HSI service you have is totally independent of the flows the X1 uses. I have been working in the Cable industry for 18+ years. I don't work on X1 software, but I do work on DOCSIS and that's what X1 and HSI use for transport. That's how I can know that Smiley Happy

Edit: Let me put it this way. A customer can have X1 video without HSI. Will their 0 Mbps HSI service affect their Netflix quality?
Regular Contributor

All I am saying is that neither you nor I know for sure how plan choices effect Netflix on X1.
Regular Contributor

I'm saying I know exactly that they don't.
Regular Contributor

I am sorry. I can't take that as fact as you don't work for Comcast but thank you for your opinion.
Diamond Problem Solver

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

how can you possibly know that? how can you possibly know that the level of quality of the stream from netflix is not dependent on what plan you have, eg, blast or blast pro. your answer of that cant be the case doesnt explain it, hence my follow up.

Your internet service has no bearing on how the X1 platform functions. The X1 boxes use the same upstream/downstream signals but that's it.

Silver Problem Solver

Does everyone know that you can have the X1 service WITHOUT HSI service?

My coax comes into my home and is split two ways; one to the X1 powered amp splitter and the other coax goes to my HSI Comcast DPC3941T Gateway.

My computers use the Gateway ethernet and wifi services.

I have six X1 devices; three X1 DVR's, two XG2 companions, and one Xi3 companion, all with coax home runs to the X1 amp in my attic.

X1 does not use my Gateway's HSI; it is separated by my wiring.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Thank you Andrew for confirming this!
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I'm with you TerB about the lack of channel info in the red button activated drop down menus. DUH !  This constitutes a real blunder on the part of the programmers.  I don't miss the "go to end" much as superspeed gets me to the end of long recordings so quickly. The "Next" icon is really useless. I have been watching every football game on and every recording says "autoextend" has been enabled even though I have it turned off in "Comcast Labs". That doesn't appear to be a problem as it never works when a game runs over the scheduled time. The recording is strictly confined to the time listed in the schedule. I wonder what would happen if I actually enabled it. As a former programmer I wonder what the recording program would key on when the schedule shows the program is over and lists another show occupying the time slot. This happens a lot in football games especially when the game goes into overtime or has a big weather delay like the Tampa Bay game a couple of months ago.

( maybe Comcast has a double secret probation signal embedded in the broadcast stream when a game goes over schedule )

===

Superspeed is great but you can't see the video advancing or reversing to find out where you want to be and the 'time line progress' is not going to help with that.. The point is that the final Labs version of the new Playback Controls  showed 'skip to end' and not 'next' so when and why did they decide to change it without having it in Labs first? I thought that what Labs was all about. Its the closest thing we have to being able to test and comment on a feature before its made permanent. They changed it without having it Labs first....thats just not right. I would love to know who decided on the 'next'  option...absolutely lame.

I have never used extend on a game so have no input.

Regular Contributor

Agreed !!   "NEXT" is stupid ... what is the point ?  SKIP TO END was a Much better feature.

Regular Contributor

Yes, "skip to end" was of some use. I can't help but wonder how Comcast decides to implement real time versions of Comcast labs beta test functions. It sure doesn't appear that they pay attention to what we post on this forum. Their test group must be monkeys watching TV in a lab like in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"  scene.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yes, "skip to end" was of some use. I can't help but wonder how Comcast decides to implement real time versions of Comcast labs beta test functions. It sure doesn't appear that they pay attention to what we post on this forum. Their test group must be monkeys watching TV in a lab like in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"  scene.

Exactly my point....they put a Labs version out there and allowed us to use it and give input. They even took our pushback that the original 'skip to end' was not doing what it should and lo and behold they fixed it.  BUT THEN they took a product we had given positive feedback about and changed the good features of it before releasing it as a platform feature. What kind of sense does that make and why am I even asking that question?

I WANT Andrew or someone to explain the rationale behind what they did