Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

I just want to thank Comcast for creating the X1 and for continuously making it more and more awesome every day. Smiley Happy

I am so glad you are so happy! I share your feelings on how awesome x1 is and continues to be every day!

A large majority of us would much rather have the basic user features that were in the package we paid for and now don't have

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Honestly the only two bugs I've come across is that the onscreen clock is not in sync with the clock on the front display by 26 seconds, the Accessories Store app causes the box to crash when looking at an item and you click "Description", and when not recording anything and the power light enabled, a remote control press causes both the LED clock and power light to momentarily dim for the length of the buttom press so repeative button presses can make them flicker. This is avoided by disabling the power light in the settings.Overal, these are fairly minor things.

Regular Contributor

Thanks mike. Love hearing from another happy customer. It's incredibly fun to enjoy the experience. It's kind of my life motto. X1 fits this motto well in enjoying the experience as opposed to being upset about little things along the way. Just enjoy!
Frequent Visitor

When will we be spared the constant need to unplug and replug the X1 box? It is outrageous that multibillion$$ Comcast forces customers paying $200+ a month to have to crawl around behind their big screen/speakers set up to disconnect the box. Why doesn't Comcast sell a convenient disconnect device and charge another $50 per month? Please explain the rationaled behind constant needs to reboot the top of the line technology and why that is something to be proud of.

Expert

@BestActor wrote:

When will we be spared the constant need to unplug and replug the X1 box? It is outrageous that multibillion$$ Comcast forces customers paying $200+ a month to have to crawl around behind their big screen/speakers set up to disconnect the box. Why doesn't Comcast sell a convenient disconnect device and charge another $50 per month? Please explain the rationaled behind constant needs to reboot the top of the line technology and why that is something to be proud of.

I don' thave to do that with 3 DVRs and a companion xg2. Can you give a bit more details and reasons that you have to reboot?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@BestActor wrote:

I've never had this issue. Sounds like you need to get a tech out to deal with your box

Valued Contributor

Any major X1 updates coming? The last link in this thread is dated April & May 2016.
Expert

@RadTV wrote:
Any major X1 updates coming? The last link in this thread is dated April & May 2016.

seems to me that a moderator/admin would add a sticky thread for comcast labs as the coming updates now basically go thru the lab.

maybe this is for 'changes' to be announced to how regular features work.

as an example the comcast status bar is good and getting better (no more scrolling to other status bars) but navigation inside of a live show (shows 6am to 7am for example, and you are somewhere in the middle without a clue of where in that time period).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@RadTV wrote:

Not major, but they are going to add something to Comcast Labs that will give SOME relief to those who say the Guide is difficult to see.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

Not major, but they are going to add something to Comcast Labs that will give SOME relief to those who say the Guide is difficult to see.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Stable" releases. Features from the comcast lab section are considered experimental until the features graduate from that area.

Most Valued Poster

@RadTV wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Stable" releases. Features from the comcast lab section are considered experimental until the features graduate from that area.

RadTV...I had to giggle at your use of the word 'stable' when talking about releases....whats a stable release...lol.  I can't recall the last time a Labs feature graduated and some have been there for a looooonnnng time but thats ok as long as we get something new and useful...I don't care where they reside.

Valued Contributor

I'm curious, is anyone else noticing that wierd dimming issue I mentioned when a remote button is pressed and the power light setting is turned on?

Also, I've been hearing reports that the X1 is experiencing an issue with emergency alerts where the scrolling text doesn't repeat. Is anyone experiencing this issue?

Here are two examples from youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceRFNekRDE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKfGQAEYtc

Valued Contributor

@BestActor wrote:

I don't have to do that with my X1.

Valued Contributor

I really hope Comcast doesn't force us to use that "new video control" found in the Comcast Labs section. It disappears too quickly. I really like the one I already have. Forcing this would really ruin my experience. The only thing I have turned on in that Comcast Labs is the cable signal strength and have the low signal inidcator turned on. Personally, for me, I'm extremely happy with how my X1 performs right at the moment. I do wish it was more responsive though. I've been told that these X1 devices have an 8x4 modem, but it's only using one downstream channel and one upstream channel. Will we see more used?

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

I really hope Comcast doesn't force us to use that "new video control" found in the Comcast Labs section. I really like the one I already have. The other one just disappears too quickly. Changing this would really ruin my experience.

You can turn it off but it goes to A different version not the previous one. The differences in case you didn't notice was instead of a fast forward button to the end of an episode, there's a next episode button. There's also an Info button. And if you Fast Forward past the 4th prompt there's a lightning bolt that pops up to go Fast Forward faster.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@BestActor wrote:

I've never had this issue. Sounds like you need to get a tech out to deal with your box

Brandonbob2376, the next update 1.66 is coming soon.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

the newest version of the transport bar is great (all on one panel). Just needs 'one more thing' and that is for live TV. Need a position of where you are in the buffer by time.

Regular Contributor

Thank you andrew for that information
Frequent Visitor

I have 1.66.06.  Any new goodies?

Valued Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

I really hope Comcast doesn't force us to use that "new video control" found in the Comcast Labs section. I really like the one I already have. The other one just disappears too quickly. Changing this would really ruin my experience.

You can turn it off but it goes to A different version not the previous one. The differences in case you didn't notice was instead of a fast forward button to the end of an episode, there's a next episode button. There's also an Info button. And if you Fast Forward past the 4th prompt there's a lightning bolt that pops up to go Fast Forward faster.

Ok. I turned it on and took a look. It is how you described it. I still prefer the currently implemented version though. Bigger cover art and it shows both the channel logo and cover art at the same time.

HOW8356_Box restart-inline

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

Ok. I turned it on and took a look. It is how you described it. I still prefer the currently implemented version though. Bigger cover art and it shows both the channel logo and cover art at the same time.

HOW8356_Box restart-inline

That's not what the newest transport bar looks like ( there's no cover art), totally different buttons

Valued Contributor

I know. I don't like the new transport bar, be it the previous one in the Comcast Labs, or the newest one introduced in 1.66.06 that you described. The currently implemented one, ie the one in the pictures, is the one I want Comcast to continue letting us use. Leave the new transport bar in the Comcast Labs section so those who want to use it can, and those who hate it, like me, can continue using the one in the pictures. I'm not trying to make things complicated or be difficult, I've just been burned so many times in the past by TiVo and other equipment manufacturers that end up ruining the user experience by "improving things", and because I'm so happy with my X1 as it is, I don't want that to happen here. Smiley Happy

Official Employee

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
Thank you andrew for that information

Update 1.66

Updated X1 DVR with the ability to set the recording of an entire sports series, such as the NBA Finals, for Auto Extend instead of needing to set each individual game to Auto Extend.

Added a new Remote Control management section to the X1 Settings menu, which displays the remote's battery level, model type and firmware version, and allows users to perform pairing and enable/disable Voice Control.

Streamlined Ways to Watch functionality into one overlay that includes all available options for watching the program and prioritizes saved, ad free and HD options for viewing.

Updated the On Now menu to display programming that is airing live in a personalized order, so that popular movies and TV shows as well as the user's preferred or favorite content is quick and easy to find.

Regular Contributor

FYI ... I really like that new Lighenting Bolt feature. It was frustrating waiting for the level 4 FFWD to get towards the end ..  

PS - would be REALLY nice if you guys showed a TIMELINE on the BWD/FWD of a LIVE show ... e.g., if I Pause something & come back 1.5 hours later, I have no idea how far in I am on the Paused event.  Skipping ahead is just a guess, as is FFWD.  And for THAT matter, if I PAUSE on something, view another show RECORDED, then come back to PAUSED event - why is it no longer PAUSED?   Results in a LOT of Spoilers for Paused Sporting events since it is now LIVE & current vs. Paused where I sopped it.

Regular Contributor

++1

Official Employee

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
Thanks mike. Love hearing from another happy customer. It's incredibly fun to enjoy the experience. It's kind of my life motto. X1 fits this motto well in enjoying the experience as opposed to being upset about little things along the way. Just enjoy!

Guide Readability was a late addition to Comcast Labs today

Valued Contributor

Yeah I just noticed that and was about to let everyone know. The three new guide viewing options look great.

Option 1 has a larger font and gray text instead of white. Option 2 has a larger font then option 1, gray text instead of white, and a black background. Option 3 uses a larger font then option 1, gray text instead of white, a black background, and larger poster art.

Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

Here are some of the customer facing Septempber updates:

1. Auto Extend for a Live Sports Series: you no longer have to set each individual live game to auto extend. You can now do so at the series level. For live sports series like Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, NBA Playoffs etc you can now set "Auto Extend" as the "Stop" time and it will set each game that is a part of that series to Automatically Extend. It is now the default option for eligbible series. If you already have a live series recording scheduled, please go in and modify you "Stop" setting to Auto Extend in order to benefit from this feature:
  2. New TV and Volume Control area added to Settings/Remote Settings to allow for easier management of remote settings
  3. Comcast Labs: Guide Readability: modify the look of the text in the guide

Enjoy!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

So can I set all Orioles games to Auto Extend stop? (Does this apply to specific sports teams?)

Is Auto Extend actually fixed?
Regular Contributor

Thanks Gwen! I love the updates, as usual!
Most Valued Poster

@MikeWolf wrote:

Yeah I just noticed that and was about to let everyone know. The three new guide viewing options look great.

Option 1 has a larger font and gray text instead of white. Option 2 has a larger font then option 1, gray text instead of white, and a black background. Option 3 uses a larger font then option 1, gray text instead of white, a black background, and larger poster art.

Mike,  Appreciate you wanting to spread the word but the new guide font options under Labs are being pretty

thoroughly covered under the font thread  'TV guide font size ' along with feedback as requested by Comcast Sarah. You might want to check out what has been said so far.

Most Valued Poster

@Cody21 wrote:

FYI ... I really like that new Lighenting Bolt feature. It was frustrating waiting for the level 4 FFWD to get towards the end ..  

PS - would be REALLY nice if you guys showed a TIMELINE on the BWD/FWD of a LIVE show ... e.g., if I Pause something & come back 1.5 hours later, I have no idea how far in I am on the Paused event.  Skipping ahead is just a guess, as is FFWD.  And for THAT matter, if I PAUSE on something, view another show RECORDED, then come back to PAUSED event - why is it no longer PAUSED?   Results in a LOT of Spoilers for Paused Sporting events since it is now LIVE & current vs. Paused where I sopped it.

Cody, I don't see anything in the update thread telling us about the new lightening bolt feature but it sounds interesting/useful. Can you tell me more about it please. If its on here and I missed the explanation could you give me the post # and date.

PS...I have just looked at /tried all FF options including the new one using the 'down' arrow but can't see anything different.

Thanks so much

Valued Contributor

Hi Adam,

Sports team Auto Extend is a feature that we are working on. I will let you guys know when it's released. As for Auto Extend issues: we are always working on improvements. If you've seen a recent Auto Extend issue, please send the specific game to me.

Thank you!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

ComcastGwen, what about the autopad feature not being honored on the cloud DVR (just local DVR)?

Official Employee

@Rustyben wrote:

ComcastGwen, what about the autopad feature not being honored on the cloud DVR (just local DVR)?

Answered here

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Auto-Pad-Recordings-Question/td-p/2798277

Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

Cody, I don't see anything in the update thread telling us about the new lightening bolt feature but it sounds interesting/useful. Can you tell me more about it please. If its on here and I missed the explanation could you give me the post # and date.

PS...I have just looked at /tried all FF options including the new one using the 'down' arrow but can't see anything different.

Thanks so much

It wasn't notated as an Update change but a change in the Video Playback Controls found under COMCAST Labs, there are 2 options On or Off

Regular Contributor

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Adam,

Sports team Auto Extend is a feature that we are working on. I will let you guys know when it's released. As for Auto Extend issues: we are always working on improvements. If you've seen a recent Auto Extend issue, please send the specific game to me.

Thank you!

Gwen

I assume AutoExtend is only for MLB or NFL ??  Reason is, I recorded the US OPEN TENNIS match Sunday to watch later.  It was NOT Auto-Extended, and I missed everything after 3 Hours.

Contributor

"3. Comcast Labs: Guide Readability, modify the look of the text in the guide." The ability to change the font size in the guide has been a long time coming and is welcomed. But please tell me why the font in the info popup (press info button 2 times) does not also increase? This is the only place to read a full synopsis and a font increase here should follow along with the Guide Readability Option selected.
Most Valued Poster

@Jellymore wrote:
"3. Comcast Labs: Guide Readability, modify the look of the text in the guide." The ability to change the font size in the guide has been a long time coming and is welcomed. But please tell me why the font in the info popup (press info button 2 times) does not also increase? This is the only place to read a full synopsis and a font increase here should follow along with the Guide Readability Option selected.

You may want to read the discussion about this in the 'font too small on the X1 guide channel'. The popup window was not addressed by the changes and some of us have already given negative feedback . They asked for feedback about the new Labs font options on that thread so we gave it. It would be great if you could  post your feelings over there to add to the feedback in hopes they may change the font option to include the pop up. The pop up is the most important piece of the guide in my opinion.  Being able to see the name of the show in larger font is a good start BUT the full synopsis is uber important and I don't know why they did not include it.

Contributor

Thanks TerriB, I will check that out. And I agree its most important that the popup font size also increase.
Official Employee
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Andrew, any chance that a 5th option might be added to the Guide Readability choices, one that offers smaller everything (font, poster art, row height, etc.) so that a 6th row of channel information can be added?

Most Valued Poster

@milehiguy wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Andrew, any chance that a 5th option might be added to the Guide Readability choices, one that offers smaller everything (font, poster art, row height, etc.) so that a 6th row of channel information can be added?

---

Andrew, We fought long and hard to get the capability to increase the font and the first step is very much appreciated.  Still did not get option to enlarge the program info pop up which is pretty  critical. Could we please get that fixed before a change request is given to the engrs/programmers to decrease everything.  I  was a bit taken aback with the request for smaller font. I feel very  strongly  that readability is more urgent than adding more lines instead of using the 'oh so easy to do scroll' .  Scrolling is and has always been part of the basic guide process no matter how many lines appear on a page. Over the years some have wanted more lines and no matter how many there are some will always want more. 5 with default and 4 with larger font option 3 seems reasonable. I can be pretty lazy at times but scrolliing is not a chore. All users have the right to request feature changes and thats a good thing. However  adding more lines by making the font smaller just seems somewhat trivial compared to the larger more universally needed changes/updates and I sure would hate to see a smaller font get on a 'to do ' list while so many other long standing issues sit out there.

Before someone pounces on me.......I am NOT trivializing the right to request smaller font...only the logic of doing it before other changes are made to the platform that affect more users.

Regular Contributor

TerriB - fair enough.  Given the impressive resolution of today's screens, I've always been miffed at the requests for larger font and fewer lines.  To be honest, my request (more lines) could be accomplished by smaller "poster art", which has far too much whitespace and has evolved to the point where it now consumes ~1/3 of the TV screen.

Most Valued Poster

@milehiguy wrote:

TerriB - fair enough.  Given the impressive resolution of today's screens, I've always been miffed at the requests for larger font and fewer lines.  To be honest, my request (more lines) could be accomplished by smaller "poster art", which has far too much whitespace and has evolved to the point where it now consumes ~1/3 of the TV screen.

Thanks! I agree that there is too much poster art/ whitespace and yes it is quite screen consuming.

Regular Contributor

They could also remove the "advertising" that they've added into every few lines in the guide.  Those lines don't belong mixed in with actual program rows, in a paid service.  That is in very poor taste.  Continuing the UI design choices that must make any true designer at the company cringe at the bad work they are forced to be associated with.

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

They could also remove the "advertising" that they've added into every few lines in the guide.  Those lines don't belong mixed in with actual program rows, in a paid service.  That is in very poor taste.  Continuing the UI design choices that must make any true designer at the company cringe at the bad work they are forced to be associated with.

Don't hold your breath.  This is precisley what DTV does as well ...  but I wholeheartedly agree !! quite the nuiscance ..

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

Yep it would be nice to just have what a UI is supposed to be all about. Surely the 'ads' bring revenue so they are not about to get rid of it. Just like regular TV ads....I blow thru them whenever possible (thank you DVR) and its more likely to turn me off to buying what they are selling to see ads over and over and over.

Regular Contributor

Yeppers TeriB. At least it isn't yet the minefield of ads on the Comcast web site. Ugh ! Also, Comcast still is very lax on third party ad screening for Virus and worms. After all the time X1 or X? has been out we are still subjected to bugs in the product. I never wrote sofware that didn't get better as time went on and any professional knows what we have been getting is not up to snuff.

X1, X1 burning bright

in my view room every night

what colossal boob or dunce

can't make a release

that works for once.

Having a button that takes you to the last five minutes of a long recording would be a nice enhancement.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - some more