Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I'm with you TeriB about skip to the end. As it is it should be more correctly labeled "skip to beginning". It would be better if the DVR could skip forward  10 minutes" at a time. At least we could jump to where we left off quicker. A possible feature to be added in the future I would like.

The present "skip to end" feature serves no useful propose I can see.

I see no use for it either. I can go back to the recordings list in many other ways. How about reverse skip 10 minutes

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Am I off base?

Maybe. What you really need is a skip not quite to the end? When you go to the end of a recording it goes back to the recording list, same as fast forwarding to the end. For your purposes, if you don't want to wait for the 4x fast forward (seconds?) you may need to use the 5 minute skip.

Andrew...Oh for Heaven's Sake...seriously? Why would the 'end'  mean 'leave the recording and go back to the list'? I really don't know anyone so far who thought thats what it meant.

And FYI...not a fan of skip functions. You can never get where you really want to be no matter the length of the skip and end up in reverse and forward all the time.

I guess maybe if you never experienced the errors, and never had to worry about fast forwarding back to the spot where you last watched, then maybe it would be a slightly useful function (as a couple folks have mentioned).  But I would bet that most people using the skip to the end are using it because of a previous X1 error.  So skipping almost to the end, and allowing time to rewind, would make much more sense.

Most Valued Poster

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Exit does not get you to the end of a recording.  It just exits the recording at the point it was last playing.  That recording, then ends up in the "Recently Watched" list on the "For You" screen.  By clicking "skip to end" you are basically marking the recording as fully watched, and it disappears from the "Recently Watched" list.

@lightstorm22 wrote:

At first I was with Andrew, but now I see Terri's point. Why skip to the end to get to the recordings list if you can just hit exit? Or am I forgetting how exit works while watching a recording?

HUH?  On my X1 it takes me back to the recordings list and thats where I pick what I am going to watch. Exit will get me out of whats playing no matter where the playback is. Skip to the end means to me the end of the recording and not another step back to the recordings list.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Maybe its name should be something else.  Not sure what you want it to do when you click it. Move to the end of the recording and wait there? Then what happens? Does it sit there waiting for user input? How long? People will complain about that saying they have to click another button to exit the recording.  Just think of it as an instantaneous fast forward.  Why they couldn't just add this button to the previous controls is beyond me.

And I did try it on LIVE recording. It just exits back to the recording screen.

If you watch a lot of movies, but exit before the credits finish, then all those movies end up in the "Recently Watched" list.  The system puts them there most likely with the idea that you want to finish watching the movie. In reality you have finished, so "skip to end" just gets you to finish the movie and clean up the "Recently Watched" list.  A better example would be if you start watching a movie and you think it is horrible, you can "skip to end" to mark it so it doesn't pollute your "Recently Watched" list.

@tctc wrote:

Skip to the end should not take you out of the recording, that's a complete waste.

What about when you are watching a recording that is still in process of recording?  

(I haven't tried it because I find the new controls to be completely useless and obtrusive).

Does it take you to the end/live and then continue to play (as it continues to record)?    That is what should happen.

There should definitely be a way to not pollute your "unfinished" list without having to skip or fast forward to the end.

The same as if it asks you "you seem to be done watching, do you want to delete".

It seems that's what this Skip to the End was meant for.

So maybe renaming would be a solution.   But skipping to the end and having a chance to do something before exiting would be very useful.

For both errors when restarting a recording, and catching up to live in a recording.

Regular Contributor

Skip - Don't skip who cares ? The DVR we have now is a poor shadow of what it could be. Some people claim patent problems with Tivo and so on but the upshot is the present functionality of the Comcast DVR is very limited and we all would like to know why what is essentially a Hard drive storing a video file has been so poorly implemented. We gained the ability to record more shows at once with X1 but at the expense of basic functionality we used to have. I used to really like doing my own frame by frame replay of critical football plays. GONE. Was a recording interrupted, yes it's in two files. GONE. The DVR used to be very reliable almost all the time (DVR service unavailable). GONE.

Dog - Gone.

Problem Solver

What is it you don't understand?  In the first place, the button doesn't take you always back to the "Recordings" list.  It takes you back to the last screen you were on.  If you started the recording from "For You" it takes you back to "For You".  If you started a program from "On Demand", it takes you back to "On Demand".  It's just a shortcut to taking you to the end of the recording/program and taking you back to where you started.  One thing it doesn't seem to do is offer you a chance to delete a recording after it is watched.

@TerriB wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Exit does not get you to the end of a recording.  It just exits the recording at the point it was last playing.  That recording, then ends up in the "Recently Watched" list on the "For You" screen.  By clicking "skip to end" you are basically marking the recording as fully watched, and it disappears from the "Recently Watched" list. 

HUH?  On my X1 it takes me back to the recordings list and thats where I pick what I am going to watch. Exit will get me out of whats playing no matter where the playback is. Skip to the end means to me the end of the recording and not another step back to the recordings list.

Problem Solver

Andrew, is the new Auto Pad Recordings feature opening up a can of worms in creating recording conflicts, or has the feature been designed to auto correct conflicts?

As an example, if I have 6 1 hour recordings scheduled at 8 pm and another 6 scheduled at 9 pm, are the 6 at 9 pm going to be bumped if the 6 at 8 pm are auto extended 3 minutes?

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Update 1.65 includes

Comcast Labs - Added an Auto Pad Recordings feature, which will begin a user's scheduled recording one minute before the program's start time and the stop the recording three minutes ( needs to be turned in Comcast Labs)

Regular Contributor

Yeah that was an intriguing new feature, but scary. I always set mine to record 1 extra minute and have not had any problems, so I may just stick to that.

Official Employee

Andrew, is the new Auto Pad Recordings feature opening up a can of worms in creating recording conflicts, or has the feature been designed to auto correct conflicts?

As an example, if I have 6 1 hour recordings scheduled at 8 pm and another 6 scheduled at 9 pm, are the 6 at 9 pm going to be bumped if the 6 at 8 pm are auto extended 3 minutes?

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Update 1.65 includes

Comcast Labs - Added an Auto Pad Recordings feature, which will begin a user's scheduled recording one minute before the program's start time and the stop the recording three minutes ( needs to be turned in Comcast Labs)

From the notes I read,the Auto Pad will not go into effect if there's a tuner conflict. And also, the Auto Extend will trump Auto Pad settings.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Cool. It will be interesting to try once I get the update. Thanks.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

From the notes I read,the Auto Pad will not go into effect if there's a tuner conflict. And also, the Auto Extend will trump Auto Pad settings.

Most Valued Poster

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Andrew, is the new Auto Pad Recordings feature opening up a can of worms in creating recording conflicts, or has the feature been designed to auto correct conflicts?

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Update 1.65 includes

Thats the first thing I thought about  that  as soon as I read it.  Would love to have this Auto Pad feature to get around the crazy timing thing some networks have but I have a feeling it will create more schedule conflicts that we will be able to deal with. Have enough as it is. Lets see what Andrew says.

Official Employee

HowAboutThisOne wrote:
Andrew, is the new Auto Pad Recordings feature opening up a can of worms in creating recording conflicts, or has the feature been designed to auto correct conflicts?

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Update 1.65 includes

Thats the first thing I thought about that as soon as I read it. Would love to have this Auto Pad feature to get around the crazy timing thing some networks have but I have a feeling it will create more schedule conflicts that we will be able to deal with. Have enough as it is. Lets see what Andrew says.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Re. discussion on auto-extend vs. auto-pad.

I'm curious, am I alone in this only working intermittently?

NHL game 5 and the last 2 NBA games did not successfully auto-extend for me.

Problem Solver

Hi tctc,

The Auto-Extend feature for live sports broadcasts is not extending the recording at this time. Our X1 team is working towards a resolution for this known issue. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTenika wrote:

Hi tctc,

The Auto-Extend feature for live sports broadcasts is not extending the recording at this time. Our X1 team is working towards a resolution for this known issue. 

How does it just all of the sudden stop working?  Existing features shouldn't be breaking unless there is something seriously wrong with the firmware design.  Or someone working on updates doesn't know what they are doing.

Regular Contributor

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Update 1.65 includes

More like opening up a can of bugs.

Expert

well, overnight fun fun 9 extra recordings of local ABC news channel (on a different SD channel), and loss of all on demand on xfinity TV app and xtv.comcast.net

opened tickets on both, the tech actually got to use the 'remote screen viewing' tool on one of my set top boxes. for info, it worked like this: tech asked permission, I said yes. bottom of screen popped up a message that said something like 'press OK to begin remote screen sharing'. I pressed OK button and a 4-digit number appeared saying something similar to 'give this number to the tech'. Each attempt (some error on that end for a few tries) had a different 4 digit number. when it connected successfully, a white text was across top of screen that said something like remote viweing session in process'. The tech was able to use the menu, do screen shots, etc. 

This is great technology!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

well, overnight fun fun 9 extra recordings of local ABC news channel (on a different SD channel), and loss of all on demand on xfinity TV app and xtv.comcast.net

opened tickets on both, the tech actually got to use the 'remote screen viewing' tool on one of my set top boxes. for info, it worked like this: tech asked permission, I said yes. bottom of screen popped up a message that said something like 'press OK to begin remote screen sharing'. I pressed OK button and a 4-digit number appeared saying something similar to 'give this number to the tech'. Each attempt (some error on that end for a few tries) had a different 4 digit number. when it connected successfully, a white text was across top of screen that said something like remote viweing session in process'. The tech was able to use the menu, do screen shots, etc. 

This is great technology!

Glad to see Comcast has been able to apply PC Remote Access to X1.  I saw it mentioned in the blog.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Known issues that cause a product to not work properly should be broadcast to the users so they can react accordingly.

Similar to an air bag recall.

Missing the end of an NHL or NBA game because Comcast doesn't want people to find out that their technology doesn't work is not accepatable.

I require compensation.

@ComcastTenika wrote:

Hi tctc,

Valued Contributor

Hi All,

Auto Pad and Auto Extend are two seperate features and the presence of one did not cause issues with the other.  We are currently working to resolve the recent issue with Auto Extend.

As for Auto Padding, the feature will not cause additional conflicts. When the padded portion of the recording results in a conflict, that portion simply will not be padded in order to resolve the conflict. If a game is set to Auto Extend, the auto extension will override the Auto Padding and it will Auto Extend.

Thanks!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Really like the Auto Pad feature because I always manually make a similar adjustment to every recording, but I would like it if it this global value of starting one minute early and ending three minutes late could be editable.  For example I never need to affect the start recording time but always adjust recordings to end one minute late.  If I could set that as my global option, and others could set theirs as they see fit, that would be ideal.

Regular Contributor

@Jellymore wrote:

Really like the Auto Pad feature because I always manually make a similar adjustment to every recording, but I would like it if it this global value of starting one minute early and ending three minutes late could be editable.  For example I never need to affect the start recording time but always adjust recordings to end one minute late.  If I could set that as my global option, and others could set theirs as they see fit, that would be ideal.

I agree, certain channels have the nasty habit of running a minute or so later than the schedule because they just can't shut up about their commercials of which they already have a surfeit. At least when I record these channels I can fast forward through their garbage. Too bad Comcast abets these types by disabling FF on these shows when you view them on demand. It still seems odd to me that I can back up using RW on a channel and view content that has already been aired but can't get a recording to start at the beginning of a program like it used to do. We had this at the beginning of X1 but it went away and no one at Comcast can give us a reason that we find acceptable. BOO ! HISS !

Regular Contributor

I had firmware 2.4p2s1 for 2 days and now I'm back to 2.3. I did notice while on 2.4 that the box was more responsive and the font used throughout the menu system was sharper and less jagged.
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Jellymore wrote:

I agree, certain channels have the nasty habit of running a minute or so later than the schedule because they just can't shut up about their commercials of which they already have a surfeit. At least when I record these channels I can fast forward through their garbage. Too bad Comcast abets these types by disabling FF on these shows when you view them on demand. It still seems odd to me that I can back up using RW on a channel and view content that has already been aired but can't get a recording to start at the beginning of a program like it used to do. We had this at the beginning of X1 but it went away and no one at Comcast can give us a reason that we find acceptable. BOO ! HISS !

I just wish the blankety blank  big 4 networks would just start on the hour and finish on the hour. I have never been able to understand why they insist on scheduling shows to start  such as one minute before and end one minute after the hour. If they think this is a way to 'get over' on another network...they are so wrong and its a DVR nightmare.

Most Valued Poster

@2themax wrote:
I had firmware 2.4p2s1 for 2 days and now I'm back to 2.3. I did notice while on 2.4 that the box was more responsive and the font used throughout the menu system was sharper and less jagged.

I never got past 2.3 as far as I know

Expert

@2themax wrote:

thank you for your post, I thought it was just my boxes (server) or something. 

I did check with the downgraded version that the cloud DVR 'only' recordings do play on the DVR still. I have 2 saved on cloud just for doing that testing.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@2themax wrote:

Me either.I know Teri that you and many others feel robbed by the loss of buffer recording. The volume of posts on this subject indicates that it is probably the number one feature users of X1 would like to see restored to functionality. The fact that you can rewind on a channel back to the beginning of a show (if it hasn't been on too long) indicates the content is still available somewhere ( it should be on the DVR but maybe only the Cloud). Of all the topics we have broached on this forum, no Comcast rep has bothered to explain WHY we can't have the buffer recording feature.

The silence is deafening..

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Me either.I know Teri that you and many others feel robbed by the loss of buffer recording. The volume of posts on this subject indicates that it is probably the number one feature users of X1 would like to see restored to functionality. The fact that you can rewind on a channel back to the beginning of a show (if it hasn't been on too long) indicates the content is still available somewhere ( it should be on the DVR but maybe only the Cloud). Of all the topics we have broached on this forum, no Comcast rep has bothered to explain WHY we can't have the buffer recording feature.

==============

Being able to rewind back to the beginning doesn't  do any good when you want to record  entire show for a loved one/friend/self for later viewing after its already started. That was such a wonderful thing to be able to do. Much of what I want to buffer record  for my hubby is not on Demand. I  am retired and when I see something noteworthy on the news hitting record is too late . I  know he needs to see it so now I have to write it down....jeez.......such technology I end up using. Now where did I put that pad and pen.

Official Employee

BeowolfJones
Posted by
BeowolfJones
‎06-28-2016 12:56 PM

You have posted 300 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 200 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
You have posted 100 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going! View All

TerriB wrote:
2themax wrote:

It was explained by an official employee when the buffer recording was disabled. Basically, to keep cloud recordings ( that don't have a buffer) and physical DVR recordings the same.

Regular Contributor

What amazes me is that over 10 yrs ago TiVo had this perfected. I never had to worry if shows started late and/or went over because TiVo automatically caught it and recorded my show. If I'm not wrong, I think direct tv also did/does this. Why is it so difficult to get this feature on the X1 boxes? I've never had so many issues with a cable box in my life. Comcast is the "only" company that has non-stop issues that are never completely solved. Forget the lab features, work on getting the basics working before opening a can of worms. 
Silver Problem Solver

@sperling3920 wrote:
What amazes me is that over 10 yrs ago TiVo had this perfected. I never had to worry if shows started late and/or went over because TiVo automatically caught it and recorded my show. If I'm not wrong, I think direct tv also did/does this. Why is it so difficult to get this feature on the X1 boxes? I've never had so many issues with a cable box in my life. Comcast is the "only" company that has non-stop issues that are never completely solved. Forget the lab features, work on getting the basics working before opening a can of worms. 

I guess I'm just lucky.  I have had to re-adjust some recordngs to compensate for a delay in the start of a live program, but I've noticed a recent change to X1 has alleviated that somewhat.  BUT --- this is not the Fall Season time, yet.  I may still have to make changes in September-October.

I think someone said Comcast had an issue with the TiVO licenses related to this.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I agree. The x1 system is horrible for sports. I reguarly miss the end of whatever game I am recording becasue the x1 has stopped recording. Comcast fixes almost nothing. I am still amazed that for sporting events there is no slow motion or advance frame by frame. I will be switching back to DISH very soon. Their remotes have excellent contol of playback for sports.

Frequent Visitor

I am pretty new to xfinity but it is very poor for sports. Cant record a complete game, frequently stops recording before game ends. Plus the remote control features are horrible for sporting events no frame by frame or slow mo. I will be switching back to DISH their remote has excellent remote controls for sporting events and to assist skipping commercials.

Regular Contributor

@Seatacsage wrote:

I am pretty new to xfinity but it is very poor for sports. Cant record a complete game, frequently stops recording before game ends. Plus the remote control features are horrible for sporting events no frame by frame or slow mo. I will be switching back to DISH their remote has excellent remote controls for sporting events and to assist skipping commercials.

I cant speak for comcast as I dont work there but I would like to think they will be dissapointed to see you go and if you call them could possibly help to resolve your issues becuase mine records when the game is live and goes over the time allocated.  but if they cant then I would say if you are not happy, no reason to stick with a platform that does not suit your needs and better to find one that does instead of being upset & frustrated.

I can say for me, this platform works incredible and I am a huge NFL fan, go 49ers!!!! I have had zero issues with the way it operates. I love the sports app for NFL and tie that in with redzone and I am the happiest camper in the Xfinity Comcast world. no complaints here.

Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

I skip commercials via page up button. Program a 30 second skip. Hit it a couple times to fly through commercials.

Didnt x1 used to have slo mo? Isnt slo mo kind of irrelevant though since they slow mo all the important plays on their own?

Auto extend is the worst. And i cant believe its not fixed yet. Insane.

Sports app is awesome though.
Regular Contributor

It was explained by an official employee when the buffer recording was disabled. Basically, to keep cloud recordings ( that don't have a buffer) and physical DVR recordings the same.

Things can move back and forth between the cloud and the DVR, that's kind of the point.  So the DVR could record the buffer, then the cloud could copy that recording.  Of course the cloud recording could just have a message saying "buffer recording, beginning of content may not be available", or something.  The decision to have them match is poor when it takes away a much desired feature.

And to adammusic22 - no, while this is more slo mo than there used to be, many sports don't replay all the important plays.  And sometimes you want to slo mo something that the director didn't think was important.  And slow mo of slow mo replay can be great, but sometimes still not good enough, and you need frame by frame.

Most Valued Poster

@Seatacsage wrote:

Many of us feel your pain. We lost true slo mo and frame by frame last year with one of their updates and its one of many 'basic user DVR features' we can't seem to get their attention about.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@Seatacsage wrote:

Many of us feel your pain. We lost true slo mo and frame by frame last year with one of their updates and its one of many 'basic user DVR features' we can't seem to get their attention about.

I remember real slo -mo and frame by frame as well. I could do my own review of a critical football play and it was very revealing even though the refs didn't always see it my way. If the refs had to use Comcast's version of replays they would be ready for a referee walkout until the league fixed the problem. The fact that we have the feature at all pretty much says that it is not a copyright issue. I just can't get over the impression that Comcast exec's are focused on fluff improvements over any issues that power users of their X1 system are concerned with.

The latest software upgrade has several bugs.

1. Ghost delete still happens at random.

2.  The total number of recordings listed in a multiple recordings folder is incorrect after you delete a recording. (Says 5 when there are only 4 etc.). It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often enough to mention. If you permanently delete the recording, the total adjusts to the correct number 

3. "Unable to play video" message pops up when you switch back from the DVR to live or change the channel. Not very often, but a incorrect message as I am not attempting to access OD content or play a stored video when this happens.

4 The Weather app is somewhat hosed up. You get a "Unable to preview" message sometimes when you try to access the app from the control panel. If I exit and try again it works.

Once again we see the same pattern of upgrades producing bugs off and on. If Microsoft windows was as bad as this has been we would have all switched to Linux by now. The above list are things I have noticed since getting:

XRE Server Version 1.65.14

I feel like Linus in "Peanuts" where Lucy rags on him until get gets so frustrated he tears his cloths and then in the last panel he says "Gad, she hath caused me to rend my garments" !

I would have posted the cartoon pictures but we all know the picture censor stomps on almost every picture I try to post.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Seatacsage wrote:

I remember real slo -mo and frame by frame as well. I could do my own review of a critical football play and it was very revealing even though the refs didn't always see it my way. If the refs had to use Comcast's version of replays they would be ready for a referee walkout until the league fixed the problem. The fact that we have the feature at all pretty much says that it is not a copyright issue. I just can't get over the impression that Comcast exec's are focused on fluff improvements over any issues that power users of their X1 system are concerned with.

The latest software upgrade has several bugs.

1. Ghost delete still happens at random.

2.  The total number of recordings listed in a multiple recordings folder is incorrect after you delete a recording. (Says 5 when there are only 4 etc.). It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often enough to mention. If you permanently delete the recording, the total adjusts to the correct number 

3. "Unable to play video" message pops up when you switch back from the DVR to live or change the channel. Not very often, but a incorrect message as I am not attempting to access OD content or play a stored video when this happens.

4 The Weather app is somewhat hosed up. You get a "Unable to preview" message sometimes when you try to access the app from the control panel. If I exit and try again it works.

Once again we see the same pattern of upgrades producing bugs off and on. If Microsoft windows was as bad as this has been we would have all switched to Linux by now. The above list are things I have noticed since getting:

XRE Server Version 1.65.14

I feel like Linus in "Peanuts" where Lucy rags on him until get gets so frustrated he tears his cloths and then in the last panel he says "Gad, she hath caused me to rend my garments" !

I would have posted the cartoon pictures but we all know the picture censor stomps on almost every picture I try to post.

Thanks for outlning those bugs in a list for all to see. Never hurts to peat and repeat them. It was so hot over the last two weekends that we have spent a lot of time catching up on series recordings and it was maddening when a episode didn't delete OR it did but the recording number didn't reduce just like you outlined. Doesn't take much to lose track!  I showed my hubby how to 'sync the DVR' which seems to be the only way to get things corrected and thats just  ridiculous.  And even though we have only had one pre-season football game....we needed frame by frame to settle an argument on a call. With this terrible heat where we live it was nice to be able to see the temp on Comcast app but its really been acting up just like you said.

Regular Contributor

Regarding the temp on the Comcast App I have some issues with whoever is posting the temps because the first temp rarely matches the second temp in the detail page (the page you get when you select the temp on page 1 and press "OK". The detail pages temps fluctuate very rapidly. Example 97 degrees at 3:07 pm then 91 degrees at 3:12 pm. Ridiculous readings when the sky is perfectly clear and there is no rain in sight. Maybe the person who inputs the data is stoned and drunk (strunk), or they have their temperature sensor located next to the back of a cow.

I have been monitoring your pixelation problems and I wonder if they might be due to the server farm in your area that gets the signal from the satellite broadcasting the signal.  The fact that it is specific to certain channels could indicate this as a possible problem. Before Comcast got so big I knew a couple of guys at our local site and got some very interesting information from them but those days are long past since the person you get after wading through the automated menu system calling Comcast could be from anywhere (Including India and Pakistan you know). How about the latest round of Comcast commercials about the culture of the company switching to customer service ?

I heard the news today, Oh Boy ! About a lucky man who made the grade...

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Regarding the temp on the Comcast App I have some issues with whoever is posting the temps because the first temp rarely matches the second temp in the detail page (the page you get when you select the temp on page 1 and press "OK". The detail pages temps fluctuate very rapidly. Example 97 degrees at 3:07 pm then 91 degrees at 3:12 pm. Ridiculous readings when the sky is perfectly clear and there is no rain in sight. Maybe the person who inputs the data is stoned and drunk (strunk), or they have their temperature sensor located next to the back of a cow.

I have been monitoring your pixelation problems and I wonder if they might be due to the server farm in your area that gets the signal from the satellite broadcasting the signal.  The fact that it is specific to certain channels could indicate this as a possible problem. Before Comcast got so big I knew a couple of guys at our local site and got some very interesting information from them but those days are long past since the person you get after wading through the automated menu system calling Comcast could be from anywhere (Including India and Pakistan you know). How about the latest round of Comcast commercials about the culture of the company switching to customer service ?

The 'preview ' temp in the app is more not there than there lately and you are correct that it does not match the current temp on the 'entended' screen. Of course here in Virginia lately its always 'feels like 105-110' so the 'real' temp is moot. The air is soaked and so are we...lol.

Thanks for feedback on the pixelation issue. I am not the one who reported it on a specific channel. We get it all over the channel range. I really need to get a tech out here to check the signal. We have no one around us to compare the problem as we are on a drop just for our house and we don't live in a development. Never had the pixel issue until about a year ago and it has gotten worse over time.

I LOVE 'STRUNK'....snaking it from you!

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

The 'preview ' temp in the app is more not there than there lately and you are correct that it does not match the current temp on the 'entended' screen. Of course here in Virginia lately its always 'feels like 105-110' so the 'real' temp is moot. The air is soaked and so are we...lol.

Thanks for feedback on the pixelation issue. I am not the one who reported it on a specific channel. We get it all over the channel range. I really need to get a tech out here to check the signal. We have no one around us to compare the problem as we are on a drop just for our house and we don't live in a development. Never had the pixel issue until about a year ago and it has gotten worse over time.

You may be correct if you are on a lone drop. I had numerous issues that were finally fixed when a Comcast tech found problems on our "Leg" of the system including a neighbor with a bad connection causing signal reflections for everybody and a misconfigured  node.  Keep after them until they fix it.  One thing certain about X1 is that it requires every part of the cable system to be working perfectly. I wonder why none of the people responsible for it's conception ignored of failed to take this into account in the design.

I've looked at the cloud from both sides now,
from up and down, and still somehow
it's the cloud that's guilty I recall.
I really don't like Comcast's cloud at all.

Sorry Joni M. ! I wish I was a free man in Paris...

PS: The mirror of strunk is when you are more drunk than stoned "Droned".

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

You may be correct if you are on a lone drop. I had numerous issues that were finally fixed when a Comcast tech found problems on our "Leg" of the system including a neighbor with a bad connection causing signal reflections for everybody and a misconfigured  node.  Keep after them until they fix it.  One thing certain about X1 is that it requires every part of the cable system to be working perfectly. I wonder why none of the people responsible for it's conception ignored of failed to take this into account in the design.

I've looked at the cloud from both sides now,
from up and down, and still somehow
it's the cloud that's guilty I recall.
I really don't like Comcast's cloud at all.

Sorry Joni M. ! I wish I was a free man in Paris...

PS: The mirror of strunk is when you are more drunk than stoned "Droned".

JONI will forgive you and nicely done.  X1 frailties make me want to be droned and strunk . I settle for lots of Pinot Grigio these days.  As soon as I get some other personal hot issues off my front burners I will Comcast to come out. They 'live' close to me as does their 'satellite' farm.

Valued Contributor

I just want to thank Comcast for creating the X1 and for continuously making it more and more awesome every day. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Skip - Don't skip who cares ? The DVR we have now is a poor shadow of what it could be. Some people claim patent problems with Tivo and so on but the upshot is the present functionality of the Comcast DVR is very limited and we all would like to know why what is essentially a Hard drive storing a video file has been so poorly implemented. We gained the ability to record more shows at once with X1 but at the expense of basic functionality we used to have. I used to really like doing my own frame by frame replay of critical football plays. GONE. Was a recording interrupted, yes it's in two files. GONE. The DVR used to be very reliable almost all the time (DVR service unavailable). GONE.

Dog - Gone.

Whoa whoa whoa. I've been a long time TiVo user since 2009, and I just went over to the X1 on Saturday, and I absolutely love how it currently performs as it presently is. It sounds like you'd be better off with a TiVo if you want those features.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@sperling3920 wrote:

If you're unhappy, have you considered using a different box such as a non X1 device or TiVo?

Most Valued Poster

@MikeWolf wrote:

I just want to thank Comcast for creating the X1 and for continuously making it more and more awesome every day. Smiley Happy

Mike, I was sure your tongue was deep in your cheek when you said this but then reading more I realized that you are SERIOUS and I can hardly believe it.  Guess you have no use for basic DVR features such as slo mo/frame by frame/recording buffer and recordings actually deleting when you delete them..   We used to have these and Comcast took away the first three and can't seem to fix the last one. There are other bugs that I won't even go into. 

And the biggie they took away was the ability to change font and contrast so that the guide and program info is readable without being right on top of the TV screen.

Regular Contributor

@MikeWolf wrote:

I am so glad you are so happy! I share your feelings on how awesome x1 is and continues to be every day!