Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Contributor

Re: Comcast Labs - New Video Playback Controls

When I skip to end it just takes me back to the recordings screen??? The skip to beginning works though. Thoughts? 

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I use a Denon for my home theater system and while I do not have a muffling problem it does appear that the latest STB Version

STB Version 2.3p6s5 has done something to the sound output level. I use the STB HDMI connection to the Denon and my surround speakers. A typical volume level before the upgrade was about 48, now I have to crank it up to around 62 to achieve the same sound level. This is about what my Blu - Ray player uses so it's not a problem but it does make me wonder what the programmers did to change the level so much. To put it in perspective, a channel that was comfortable to listen to a a level of 48 would blow you out of the house if you raised the level to 62. The saved programs I recorded before the upgrade are also low volume at 48 and have to be raised to 62 so it's not live programming or a signal issue. All my other sources to the Denon are normal and unchanged volume wise so it's definitely something that has changed on the X1 box and the only obvious thing is the STB version.

Just before I wrote this,  the control panel locked up and I had to press the Xfinity button to get out of it. The latest software is still what we have come to expect. Defective.

like you I have the ghosted deleted items (I clear by putting box in powersave for a second or two). As you said the issue is many months old (discussed in forums in late october 2015).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I turned it off - it took up too much screen real estate on recordings.

Your choice of course but it only says on the screen while ff/rw/pause/,etc. so to me its not affecting the playback of an asset at all.  I got used to it fast. Its wonderful to finally be able to go to the end of as asset without FF or to able to go back to the start while the asset is being watched (saves a couple of steps).

Hopefully by implementation we can get a logical combination of the best of both?

Instant removal of all the "stuff" from the screen after pressing play - great change.  But it only seems to happen when going from Pause to Play, not from FF or RW to Play?    (It should dissappear immediately for slow and pause as well.)

Additional unneccesary stuff all over the screen - not a great change.

Why does the progress bar and the surrounding blackness have to take up 35% of the screen?

Can we get an option where that only takes up on the botton 5%?

Why does the "button icon" have to appear in the exact middle of the screen and be so huge?  It's just a feedback item, 99% of the time the user already knows what they pressed.

Could just add "skip to the end" to the current implementation and it would be better than the new version.

In the new version, pressing down should bring up the controls, instead it both moves down within the controls and brings up the controls, so you always get the SAP/CC/D choices, which are rarely needed.  Pressing down should bring up the forward and back controls, you should have to press down a second time to get the SAP/CC/D choices.

Is there anyone who has worked on UI before that is working on this?  (Sorry but this should take someone a few hours not years.)

Most Valued Poster

Could just add "skip to the end" to the current implementation and it would be better than the new version.

^

Agree 100%. Finally got this update. Def turning the new controls off. But i do really want the skip to end feature.

Smoother fast forwarding is great. Besides that, nothing else. Hopefully fixed the deleting recordings problem ive been experiencing forever now. Looks like it did ! Def feels snappier overall.

Hopefully we get a corporate comcast blog post with all the additions?

Some much needed requests :
This might pertain to programming but im sick recording descriptions not getting updated til days after recording and then sometimes descriptions being removed after they were there.
And repeat shows getting recorded as new.
Also auto extend for series(team) recording should be the default stop option.
Most Valued Poster

Spoke too soon. Recordings still wont delete. How about fixing that before focusing on adding any new features?
Most Valued Poster

I have more and more asset deletion problems as time goes on. Using Arris box. I have compiled some examples for Gwen but have not PM'd her yet...I just keep forgetting.  It happens across all networks/channels and is so frustrating. Sometimes the asset will show in the 'recently deleted' box while still sitting in the recordings list . We can watch 4 assets one after the other and rarely can we get them all to delete.

Most Valued Poster

@Genesis722 wrote:

When I skip to end it just takes me back to the recordings screen??? The skip to beginning works though. Thoughts? 

Thats a shame. I love the skip to the end feature and so far it works fine.

Regular Contributor

@adammusic22 wrote:
Spoke too soon. Recordings still wont delete. How about fixing that before focusing on adding any new features?

Agreed, first fix things, then add back 1980s era DVR functionality.  Then and only then spend time working on new stuff that will be used by maybe 5% of the users.

Now instead of the "we got it" or whatever the silly delete message was, I get a "we're working on it" message, as if one day they'll finally land on the correct message and that will cause the content to go away...

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

It's not just for recordings. It entirely changes how the guide works and how the "info bar" used to work when changing channels.

It's an interesting change that will take some getting used to.

@geek46 wrote:

FYI-

When you receive XRE 164.05, make sure you visit the LABS and turn ON the Video Playback Controls.... while watching a recorded asset you will be able to access the new controls.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

played around with it today for a while and I love this new setup. it gives it a crisper cleaner feel!

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

I have more and more asset deletion problems as time goes on. Using Arris box. I have compiled some examples for Gwen but have not PM'd her yet...I just keep forgetting.  It happens across all networks/channels and is so frustrating. Sometimes the asset will show in the 'recently deleted' box while still sitting in the recordings list . We can watch 4 assets one after the other and rarely can we get them all to delete.

i wonder if it is just an issue for those of us that have more than one DVR?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I'm still having some deleting issues.  Less frequently with the phantom delete on the DVR, but still consistently have a show that just lingers on the web site/cloud for some reason and has to be deleted a second time from the web site.

Knock on wood, but in the last couple days I haven't been able to recreate the FF from Pause.  Each time I go from Pause to FWD it has succesfully gone to Slow (as it should).   This would be a great fix.

Although it still doesn't always start the Slow from the same frame that it was Paused at, which makes no sense to me, since this is digital technology, not analog.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

i wonder if it is just an issue for those of us that have more than one DVR?

I have ONE DVR

Most Valued Poster

@Genesis722 wrote:

Important: I take back my kudos on the 'skip to end'.  We thought it did it correctly but NOT. It does as you said and takes you back to the recordings screen. I guess thats what they consider 'the end'? Since we can already go back to the beginning using the info button options I see absolutely really useful or new about the new playback controls

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

That bug was fixed quite a while ago. If you see an instance, feel free to send me a private message with the asset title and date on which it recorded.

Thanks!

Gwen

Gwen ...the delete issue is worse than ever. I have lots of examples but lost the darn paper so gotta find it and PM you. Its across all networks and channels and times of day/night.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

That bug was fixed quite a while ago. If you see an instance, feel free to send me a private message with the asset title and date on which it recorded.

Thanks!

Gwen

Gwen ...the delete issue is worse than ever. I have lots of examples but lost the darn paper so gotta find it and PM you. Its across all networks and channels and times of day/night.

I can confirm it is the same issue reported back in november. same screen shot image you see terriB?

deletefail2.jpga

I clear them from the list by putting in/out of power save. the process clears it and does not interrupt programs recording at the moment on 'that' DVR.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

Thanks!

Gwen

I can confirm it is the same issue reported back in november. same screen shot image you see terriB?

deletefail2.jpga

I clear them from the list by putting in/out of power save. the process clears it and does not interrupt programs recording at the moment on 'that' DVR.

I am on XRE 164.05, STB 2.3p8s1 and can confirm that the issue is NOT fixed and never has been!  Sometines I can get the delete to clear by clearing it from the LAST watched display.  That works about 60% of the time.

Silver Problem Solver

@ThomT wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

Thanks!

Gwen

deletefail2.jpga

I am on XRE 164.05, STB 2.3p8s1 and can confirm that the issue is NOT fixed and never has been!  Sometines I can get the delete to clear by clearing it from the LAST watched display.  That works about 60% of the time.

I don't have that issue with any of my two DVR's and two XG2's, fyi.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

It's not just for recordings. It entirely changes how the guide works and how the "info bar" used to work when changing channels.

@geek46 wrote:

FYI-

When you receive XRE 164.05, make sure you visit the LABS and turn ON the Video Playback Controls.... while watching a recorded asset you will be able to access the new controls.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

played around with it today for a while and I love this new setup. it gives it a crisper cleaner feel!

Latest update 1.64

Music: Improved the discovery and playback experiences, including the ability to search by band name.

• Reboot: Added a new overlay to the Reboot option available from the X1 Help menu.
  • Pay Per View (PPV): Simplified the PPV ordering experience; if both options are available, Rent and Order buttons will now both appear on the action bar for a PPV Info page.
  • Series Reminders: Updated so that the first run channel for a TV series will be the default channel option to assist users in setting notifications for new episodes.
  • Playback: Updated video assets (XFINITY On Demand, linear, online) to display their respective network or studio logo before playback begins as well as under the transport bar during playback.
  • Comcast Labs: Added a New Video Playback Controls option for displaying a redesigned transport bar with new playback options and simplified navigation.
  •  X1 DVR:
    • Updated so that when playback of a completed recording fails, the user will be presented with any available alternatives for viewing the program.
    • Updated so that the set-top box will not allow for the deletion of checked-out recordings, ensuring that users are able to view downloaded recordings as expected.
  • Remote Control: Added a daily, on-screen notification for low batteries in RF-pairing remote

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

FYI-

Latest update 1.64

Music: Improved the discovery and playback experiences, including the ability to search by band name.

• Reboot: Added a new overlay to the Reboot option available from the X1 Help menu.
  • Pay Per View (PPV): Simplified the PPV ordering experience; if both options are available, Rent and Order buttons will now both appear on the action bar for a PPV Info page.
  • Series Reminders: Updated so that the first run channel for a TV series will be the default channel option to assist users in setting notifications for new episodes.
  • Playback: Updated video assets (XFINITY On Demand, linear, online) to display their respective network or studio logo before playback begins as well as under the transport bar during playback.
  • Comcast Labs: Added a New Video Playback Controls option for displaying a redesigned transport bar with new playback options and simplified navigation.
  •  X1 DVR:
    • Updated so that when playback of a completed recording fails, the user will be presented with any available alternatives for viewing the program.
    • Updated so that the set-top box will not allow for the deletion of checked-out recordings, ensuring that users are able to view downloaded recordings as expected.
  • Remote Control: Added a daily, on-screen notification for low batteries in RF-pairing remote

thanks Andrew! I have been enjoying these updates for a while and they are very much enhancing my experience! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this information.

Most Valued Poster

Simply deleting recordings either doesnt delete them or throws an error code. 100% not fixed.
Regular Contributor

Latest comcast update v1.64    (More fluff while errors remain unresolved.)

A line item for the update that is conspicuously missing:

- Guide Ads - Additional advertising for some show every 14 lines or so in the Guide, as if it's a channel listing.

Latest update to my signal v364.17...

I called in regarding intermittent errors and the upstream issues that ComcastZach detected in my signal on the 21st.

The tech said they would escalate to Tier 2, opened a ticket, and said they would get back to me on the 23rd with what they discovered.

I waited... never heard back.   I opened an online chat on the 27th to find out what was going on, and no one had any idea what I was talking about.  The ticket had just closed itself becaues no one ever did anything.  I spent hours arguing with the person that no, I don't want a tech visit, no, I don't want to take my equipment to the local comcast location, it's already all been replaced, I want Tier 2 to investigate what they were supposed to have done already, and call me back, as promised.  They kept trying to set up an appt. or a call back for the next morning even though I told them multiple times I was not available then.  After a while they finally said they would have Tier 2 investigate and call me back between 12-5pm.   No one called.  Apparently they just flat out lied to get me off the chat.

I waited until 5:30pm and called and asked why I hadn't received a call yet.  No one had any idea what I was talking about.  No one had done any research.  I had to explain all issues and error messages over for the 3rd time (in reality, probably at least the 25th time, since I've had intermittent issues since signing up 20 months ago).

Spent another hour and a half on the phone where the tech (supposedly Tier 2 since I told the first person that I refused to talk to them and tell them what was wrong because they should already know and have researched it, as promised), after which they basically just sent refresh and push signals and then scheduled a tech to come to the house, again...

The tech came out, did some tests, terminated an open line, and said there were no issues with my signal.  He opened a ticket (we'll see) with "maintenance", who is supposed to come out and do testing on the local area and see if something is causing interference.

But hey, I can search by band name and order pay per view, and use new playback controls that are pretty much the same (except the one new one that doesn't work), so I guess I should celebrate.  And begin praying that I will actually be able to successfully watch the NHL and NBA playoffs today...

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

< this section of original message deliberately deleted>

But hey, I can search by band name and order pay per view, and use new playback controls that are pretty much the same (except the one new one that doesn't work), so I guess I should celebrate.  And begin praying that I will actually be able to successfully watch the NHL and NBA playoffs today...

...but still without benefit of a decent slo-mo or any kind of a frame-by-frame advance! Smiley Sad

Most Valued Poster

Its riddled with error codes that ive never experienced before this update.

Exiting out of a dvr recording gave two error codes back to back.

One of my recordings last night was unwatchable due to an error code.
Expert

@rjc1247 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

...but still without benefit of a decent slo-mo or any kind of a frame-by-frame advance! Smiley Sad

the patent for dvr functions like that is owned and 'enforced' by TiVo/ROVI so until they expire (some begin expiring the end of this year all the way to 2018) we won't have those features unless comcast pays up (and passes cost of using the features) directly to our bills.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

the patent for dvr functions like that is owned and 'enforced' by TiVo/ROVI so until they expire (some begin expiring the end of this year all the way to 2018) we won't have those features unless comcast pays up (and passes cost of using the features) directly to our bills.

Do we actually know this for a fact or is it -- as other posters have mentioned -- merely supposition?  Seems really odd since we did have both those functions in the past until they vanished one day without any explanation...

Most Valued Poster

Andrew, thanks for the 1.64 update list. I really need to understand what the 'skip to end' in New Video Playback Controls is supposed to do.

When I use it it either takes me back to the recordings list or goes to the delete/don't delete pop up window.  I was making an assumption (Yeah..I know what that 'means'..lol)  that skip to end would take me to the end of the recording  and  I could back up the recording from the end. Otherwise what is its purpose?  thanks

Regular Contributor

@rjc1247 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Do we actually know this for a fact or is it -- as other posters have mentioned -- merely supposition?  Seems really odd since we did have both those functions in the past until they vanished one day without any explanation...

I have the same question, I have a hard time believing the patent explanation/excuse/reason has anything to do with it.  Slow motion and frame by frame existed with VCRs, it's not a new idea, there is no way it could be patented.  It also existed on the prior comcast platform (and as far as I know still does).  I'd bet it's the "cloud being involved in DVR controls" implemenation, and the fact that the engineering focus is on new fluff that allows users to more easily find paid content.  Using the DVR for anything other than just letting a recording play is already a painfully weak user experience, apparently someone decided that slow mo and frame by frame fall below the bar of acceptability.

As others have already mentioned, the delete issue is still alive and well, there are multiple new errors when exiting a recording.

I've also discovered that on a very long recording, each time I go back to continue watching it starts over from the beginning and I have to fast forward for a couple hours to get back to where I left off.

Regular Contributor

I tried the new controls and my conclusion is: "Much Ado about nothing". I don't see any improvement in basic functionality so I returned to the old more functional controls. I see the old patent excuse is being offered again to explain the lack of functionality in the DVR again.  The latest XRE version is producing odd errors as others have noted on this thread. At least my cloths dryer has a lint trap for the fluff. I wonder how full the X1 lint trap is with fluff ?

Official Employee

thanks Andrew! I have been enjoying these updates for a while and they are very much enhancing my experience! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with

The Sports app with XFINITY X1 now offers NASCAR Extras, a visual representation of NASCAR stats and analysis that includes:

Race summaries, including date, start time and number of laps
Qualifying racers
Live, play-by-play stats that you can watch alongside a race
Track details, such as surface type, length and year built
Post-race recaps of every race
The ability to favorite individual drivers
Drivers will then appear at the top of the Results and Standings pages and under the customer’s Favorites tab (during the NASCAR season).
Note: NASCAR favorites cannot be prioritized.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Welcome to the new "Upcoming X1 Updates" thread. Please check here for lists of upcoming updates to the X1 product, posted by an official Comcast employee.

The updates here will be new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other backend issues.

Please see below for links to updates from previous months:

July 2014 Updates

August 2014 Updates

September 2014 Updates

October 2014 Updates

January 2015 Updates + ability to view completed recordings if services are down, Spanish language indicators in search results and ability to immediately sync old list of scheduled recordings to new DVR (in the event of a DVR box swap). "What's New" Video!

February 2015 Updates 

April 2015 Updates + Spanish Menu Language

May 2015 Updates

June 2015 Updates + ability to set recordings to "Stop" 1, 5 and 30 minutes late

July 2015 Updates

August 2015 Updates

October 2015 Updates

November 2015 Updates

Highlights from 2015

2016 Beginning of the Year Updates + New X1 Tips in Settings>Help>Tips & Tricks, Auto Play Next Episode in Comcast Labs, Role added to "Appearing In" row on actors' pages.

April UpdatesAdditonal Watch Options for Segmented Recordings, Backend Improvements to Recording Deletion Process

Also, lookout for new and exciting experimental features that you can opt into in Comcast Labs.

Thank you!

What is new with STB 2.3p9s1?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

thanks Andrew! I have been enjoying these updates for a while and they are very much enhancing my experience! I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with

The Sports app with XFINITY X1 now offers NASCAR Extras, a visual representation of NASCAR stats and analysis that includes:

Race summaries, including date, start time and number of laps
Qualifying racers
Live, play-by-play stats that you can watch alongside a race
Track details, such as surface type, length and year built
Post-race recaps of every race
The ability to favorite individual drivers
Drivers will then appear at the top of the Results and Standings pages and under the customer’s Favorites tab (during the NASCAR season).
Note: NASCAR favorites cannot be prioritized.

awesome! huge nascar fan over here so I will check it out!

Expert

discovered a 'change' not sure when it went into place. Pause for DVR recorded show 'held' until you press play before update, now it unpauses similar to on-demand. 

If i pause an asset now, in a few seconds/minutes the picture goes to 'live'.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Welcome to the new "Upcoming X1 Updates" thread. Please check here for lists of upcoming updates to the X1 product, posted by an official Comcast employee.

The updates here will be new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other backend issues.

Please see below for links to updates from previous months:

July 2014 Updates

August 2014 Updates

September 2014 Updates

October 2014 Updates

January 2015 Updates + ability to view completed recordings if services are down, Spanish language indicators in search results and ability to immediately sync old list of scheduled recordings to new DVR (in the event of a DVR box swap). "What's New" Video!

February 2015 Updates 

April 2015 Updates + Spanish Menu Language

May 2015 Updates

June 2015 Updates + ability to set recordings to "Stop" 1, 5 and 30 minutes late

July 2015 Updates

August 2015 Updates

October 2015 Updates

November 2015 Updates

Highlights from 2015

2016 Beginning of the Year Updates + New X1 Tips in Settings>Help>Tips & Tricks, Auto Play Next Episode in Comcast Labs, Role added to "Appearing In" row on actors' pages.

April UpdatesAdditonal Watch Options for Segmented Recordings, Backend Improvements to Recording Deletion Process

Also, lookout for new and exciting experimental features that you can opt into in Comcast Labs.

Thank you!

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/new-this-month-on-x1-improvements-that-simplify-dvr-and-...

Regular Contributor

I believe the post has been deleted, but a Comcast employee said that in labs you'd have the option to change the font size in the guide. I'm on 2.3p9s3 and don't see it so I think someone may have jumped the gun with the information.
Official Employee

Update 1.65 includes

SAP and Video Description - Added separate TV listing views for Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) and Video Description content in the On-Screen Guide.

Default Guide View - Graduated this feature from Comcast Labs and added the option to General Preferences within the Settings menu.

Comcast Labs - Added an Auto Pad Recordings feature, which will begin a user's scheduled recording one minute before the program's start time and the stop the recording three minutes ( needs to be turned in Comcast Labs)

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Update 1.65 includes

SAP and Video Description - Added separate TV listing views for Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) and Video Description content in the On-Screen Guide.

Default Guide View - Graduated this feature from Comcast Labs and added the option to General Preferences within the Settings menu.

Comcast Labs - Added an Auto Pad Recordings feature, which will begin a user's scheduled recording one minute before the program's start time and the stop the recording three minutes ( needs to be turned in Comcast Labs)

thanks andrew! i have been enjoying these updates!

Most Valued Poster

@2themax wrote:

I believe the post has been deleted, but a Comcast employee said that in labs you'd have the option to change the font size in the guide. I'm on 2.3p9s3 and don't see it so I think someone may have jumped the gun with the information.

Whaat?? There would be rainbows and lollipops and marching bands if we ever got something to change the font size. No way its been in Labs and I would LOVE to know who posted that one.

Most Valued Poster

Andrew, still waiting to hear back on why new Labs 'skip to end' does not do that..it takes it back to the recordings list. If its been answered I can' t find it so kindly point me please.

Thanks

Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

Andrew, still waiting to hear back on why new Labs 'skip to end' does not do that..it takes it back to the recordings list. If its been answered I can' t find it so kindly point me please.

Thanks

What is it that the "skips to end" doesn't do for you? For me, if I skip it goes back to Recordings, same as if I fast forward to the end. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Thanks

What is it that the "skips to end" doesn't do for you? For me, if I skip it goes back to Recordings, same as if I fast forward to the end. 

Andrew..skip to the end to me means skip to the end of the recording itselt...not back to the list. I am not the first to inquire about this.  If I want it to go back to the beginning it doesn't go back to the recordings list..it goes to the beginning of the recording. Am I not making sense as to what 'the end' means? There are many times when we need to start the recording again somewhere closer to the end than the beginning (like when I fall asleep 15 minutes before the end...lol) and starting at the beginning even at 4X takes longer  so would be nice to be able to just back up from the end. Skip to the end is a misnomer if it was intended to mean 'take me back to the recordings list' Am I off base ?

Official Employee

Am I off base?

Maybe. What you really need is a skip not quite to the end? When you go to the end of a recording it goes back to the recording list, same as fast forwarding to the end. For your purposes, if you don't want to wait for the 4x fast forward (seconds?) you may need to use the 5 minute skip.

Regular Contributor

I'm with you TeriB about skip to the end. As it is it should be more correctly labeled "skip to beginning". It would be better if the DVR could skip forward  10 minutes" at a time. At least we could jump to where we left off quicker. A possible feature to be added in the future I would like.

The present "skip to end" feature serves no useful propose I can see.

Regular Contributor

At first I was with Andrew, but now I see Terri's point. Why skip to the end to get to the recordings list if you can just hit exit? Or am I forgetting how exit works while watching a recording?

Problem Solver

Exit does not get you to the end of a recording.  It just exits the recording at the point it was last playing.  That recording, then ends up in the "Recently Watched" list on the "For You" screen.  By clicking "skip to end" you are basically marking the recording as fully watched, and it disappears from the "Recently Watched" list.

@lightstorm22 wrote:

At first I was with Andrew, but now I see Terri's point. Why skip to the end to get to the recordings list if you can just hit exit? Or am I forgetting how exit works while watching a recording?

Regular Contributor

Skip to the end should not take you out of the recording, that's a complete waste.

What about when you are watching a recording that is still in process of recording?  

(I haven't tried it because I find the new controls to be completely useless and obtrusive).

Does it take you to the end/live and then continue to play (as it continues to record)?    That is what should happen.

Regular Contributor

Also, we keep getting recommendations to use "skip forward 5 minutes" to catch back up to where we were in a recording.

That would be great if skip ahead had it's own button, or multiple button presses gave different skips, or any other type of reasonable implemenation that Comcast has had years to come up with.  But at this point I would bet most people have reprogrammed their "page up" button to 30 seconds, so 5 minutes is not an option.   (of course I guess you could reprogram, skip ahead, then reprogram again)

"Hey everyone, I found a great new update.  If you rub the back of the remote in your hair, the DVR continues playing at the exact same spot where you already are.  Isn't that awesome!  (actually, I found some bugs, but it works about 99% of the time...)"

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Am I off base?

Maybe. What you really need is a skip not quite to the end? When you go to the end of a recording it goes back to the recording list, same as fast forwarding to the end. For your purposes, if you don't want to wait for the 4x fast forward (seconds?) you may need to use the 5 minute skip.

Andrew...Oh for Heaven's Sake...seriously? Why would the 'end'  mean 'leave the recording and go back to the list'? I really don't know anyone so far who thought thats what it meant.

And FYI...not a fan of skip functions. You can never get where you really want to be no matter the length of the skip and end up in reverse and forward all the time. Re -programming the skip length does not happen quickly and so weary of trying different ones. and going back and forth trying them out.

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Am I off base?

Andrew...Oh for Heaven's Sake...seriously? Why would the 'end'  mean 'leave the recording and go back to the list'? I really don't know anyone so far who thought thats what it meant.

And FYI...not a fan of skip functions. You can never get where you really want to be no matter the length of the skip and end up in reverse and forward all the time.

"Skip to end" works exactly how I would expect. Are you trying to "skip to credits" or something of the sort?

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

Also, we keep getting recommendations to use "skip forward 5 minutes" to catch back up to where we were in a recording.

That would be great if skip ahead had it's own button, or multiple button presses gave different skips, or any other type of reasonable implemenation that Comcast has had years to come up with.  But at this point I would bet most people have reprogrammed their "page up" button to 30 seconds, so 5 minutes is not an option.   (of course I guess you could reprogram, skip ahead, then reprogram again)

"Hey everyone, I found a great new update.  If you rub the back of the remote in your hair, the DVR continues playing at the exact same spot where you already are.  Isn't that awesome!  (actually, I found some bugs, but it works about 99% of the time...)"

You are my star for the day!

Problem Solver

Maybe its name should be something else.  Not sure what you want it to do when you click it. Move to the end of the recording and wait there? Then what happens? Does it sit there waiting for user input? How long? People will complain about that saying they have to click another button to exit the recording.  Just think of it as an instantaneous fast forward.  Why they couldn't just add this button to the previous controls is beyond me.

And I did try it on LIVE recording. It just exits back to the recording screen.

If you watch a lot of movies, but exit before the credits finish, then all those movies end up in the "Recently Watched" list.  The system puts them there most likely with the idea that you want to finish watching the movie. In reality you have finished, so "skip to end" just gets you to finish the movie and clean up the "Recently Watched" list.  A better example would be if you start watching a movie and you think it is horrible, you can "skip to end" to mark it so it doesn't pollute your "Recently Watched" list.

@tctc wrote:

Skip to the end should not take you out of the recording, that's a complete waste.

What about when you are watching a recording that is still in process of recording?  

(I haven't tried it because I find the new controls to be completely useless and obtrusive).

Does it take you to the end/live and then continue to play (as it continues to record)?    That is what should happen.