Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

Would you mind providing some specific examples of the ghost recordings that you're seeing on your box?

Thank you!

Gwen

hi gwen, it isn't a ghost recording it is an entry left sometimes in the recordings list when the recorded asset has been deleted. The show's title is still listed but when you select the entry you get that 'fail' message. Any action that forces a reset of recordings listed (like changing resolution, putting box into power-save and power on, or a reboot) clears the errant listing.

My guess is that the command from the 'cloud' is intermittently not getting a good delete process to complete on the DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

comcastgwen also note that the xfinity TV app used on the iPad has no slide left on listings to delete recorded assets. The iphone use of same app has the ability to delete the complete episode list in a series but not to delete just one of them. The last update lost ability to delete from the detail screen (where you can select watch).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

Yes. Would you mind providing specific examples of some of those listings that you are seeing? 

Thank you!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Yes. Would you mind providing specific examples of some of those listings that you are seeing? 

Thank you!

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

Are you looking for examples that are still on a specific persons DVR?

Or just specific content.

I can tell you that about 90% of the Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night football games have failed to delete properly for me.  As well as a good percentage of the San Jose Sharks hockey games.

Regular Contributor

I tried  to mass delete D button - Judge Judy 23 eposides - Law and Order 9 eposodes.  Both will not delete - so I ahd to manually delete 1 at a time 

Expert

this is the image i previously uploaded note it says 'the flash' (series).

easily fixed by a boot, a change of resolution (like exit exit exit 480 and back to 1080) or by a cycle into and out of power save.

deletefail2.jpg

Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

Thank you for providing examples. Specific examples (that you tried to delete) that are still on your DVR would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for providing examples. Specific examples (that you tried to delete) that are still on your DVR would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Gwen

sorry if not being clear. the recording is deleted except for the title. then when you select that title you get that image on the screen shot. the recording is not there just the entry on the recordings list (that is not itself deleted). It appears to be an artifact in the code where the listings are not fully updated. happens at random. I've never seen a pattern or way to make it do that artifcact.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

this is the image i previously uploaded note it says 'the flash' (series).

easily fixed by a boot, a change of resolution (like exit exit exit 480 and back to 1080) or by a cycle into and out of power save.

deletefail2.jpg

I get that screen and its so misleading. It pops up when I try to delete and do other things on the DVR but I can still use the DVR for viewing programs,etc...needs to be more informative

Expert

before christmas for one day I had version 1.59.05 but it reverted to .02

today I got 1.59.07 12/28/2015 16:20 same firmware 

did not find/see any changes. acts same so far.

any changes published?

Silver Problem Solver

None that I have seen.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

It has gotten so bad that I dread any updates/changes with new versions. Every time they add something, we lose something useful and they never fix the bugs. All we seem to get these days is more fluff and no substance.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

It has gotten so bad that I dread any updates/changes with new versions. Every time they add something, we lose something useful and they never fix the bugs. All we seem to get these days is more fluff and no substance.

So true...  Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

I still have 1.59.92. 11/30/2015. Looks like Ann Arbor doesn't even get updates. And yes the green box was booted yesterday

Regular Contributor

with the recent updates, what have you lost recently? i am not talking about the buffer issue because that was a long time ago. what has recently been removed?

@TerriB wrote:

Official Employee

@applehazar wrote:

I still have 1.59.92. 11/30/2015. Looks like Ann Arbor doesn't even get updates. And yes the green box was booted yesterday

Did you mean 1.59.02? If so, you're up to date

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

I think the addition of Reminders was great; I don't use it but clearly a lot of people do. New features open up opportunities for more bugs, that's a fact of software development, but that is no reason to halt development.

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

with the recent updates, what have you lost recently? i am not talking about the buffer issue because that was a long time ago. what has recently been removed?

@TerriB wrote:

I've lost some content, the ability to delete some content, the ability to delete just one episode online, and the abitlity to consistently go from Pause to Slow Motion (it's now up to 40-50% of the time it will Fast Forward instead).

A far bigger issue is, of the long list of things that are just completely behind the times, or have been ongoing issues for multiple months or years, which of them have been fixed?

The only improvemet to a basic issue/function that I can think of, is they added options to extend recording time, and the auto-extend.  Both of which still have issues, as there are some sporting events that are still not recognized as sports, so they max out at 30 minutes extend, and I have had auto-extend fail on me on multiple occasions, so I don't use that any more.

Expert

wonder if anyone noticed that comcast didn't let any update 'out' during the holidays (probably a very good thing so that holiday was not interrupted by new possible buggy version).

Regular Contributor

sure, i see these things you mention as valid things to be upset about but what I am getting at is that they are not things being removed from the system because of an update, like the recording buffer, which was certainly actually removed but not recently. i think the things you mention might be more along the lines of bugs. not that this makes this less important, just not things that have been purposely removed from the experience.

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I've lost some content, the ability to delete some content, the ability to delete just one episode online, and the abitlity to consistently go from Pause to Slow Motion (it's now up to 40-50% of the time it will Fast Forward instead).

A far bigger issue is, of the long list of things that are just completely behind the times, or have been ongoing issues for multiple months or years, which of them have been fixed?

The only improvemet to a basic issue/function that I can think of, is they added options to extend recording time, and the auto-extend.  Both of which still have issues, as there are some sporting events that are still not recognized as sports, so they max out at 30 minutes extend, and I have had auto-extend fail on me on multiple occasions, so I don't use that any more.

Regular Contributor

Yes. Sorry. Fat fingers

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

sure, i see these things you mention as valid things to be upset about but what I am getting at is that they are not things being removed from the system because of an update, like the recording buffer, which was certainly actually removed. i think the things you mention might be more along the lines of bugs. not that this makes this less important, just not things that have been purposely removed from the experience.

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I agree.  But measuring a company on how well they are doing at "not making their product worse by removing capabilities" is a pretty sad state of affairs.

It would just be so great if the next few months of "Updates" were all focused on returning basic funciontality and stability, instead of new fluff.

Regular Contributor

I understand what you are saying but i was just simply asking Terri, who stated in the below quote that recent updates had removed features from her experience. maybe i am continuing to be the lucky one but nothing has been removed, purposely, from my experience since the buffer... which was a long time ago...

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

sure, i see these things you mention as valid things to be upset about but what I am getting at is that they are not things being removed from the system because of an update, like the recording buffer, which was certainly actually removed. i think the things you mention might be more along the lines of bugs. not that this makes this less important, just not things that have been purposely removed from the experience.

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I agree.  But measuring a company on how well they are doing at "not making their product worse by removing capabilities" is a pretty sad state of affairs.

It would just be so great if the next few months of "Updates" were all focused on returning basic funciontality and stability, instead of new fluff.

Most Valued Poster

Storage increase in 2016?

Dish announced the hopper 3 at CES with 2 terabytes of storage, leaving x1 in the dust at 500gb. Any plans for increased storage for x1 in 2016?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Storage increase in 2016?

@adammusic22 wrote:
Dish announced the hopper 3 at CES with 2 terabytes of storage, leaving x1 in the dust at 500gb. Any plans for increased storage for x1 in 2016?

The place to watch is this:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

BrandonBob,

Perhaps I should have not have used the words 'every time' and 'removed' without qualifying.  In the past with updates we have lost font change options/recording buffer/slo mo/frame by frame as examples. What is truly maddening is that we never know ahead of  time that its going to happen nor do we get explanations from Comcast as to why. Our peers are the ones who have offered rationales like the cloud and court case with TIVO. Not that I don't believe them but we should be hearing directly from Comcast . Many times when we get updates we get 'bugs' back that we thought were fixed with previous updates. Cases in point are difficulty in deleting programs, skipping series recording episodes and recordings just disappearing. The bottom line is that with almost every update something seems to break. Stability of the platform is horrific.

Also new features don't work as expected like the sports program extend but not all sports are considered 'sports' apparently. Don't ask me for examples please as I don't use that function but others have already provided input .

Most Valued Poster

On the storage increase issue.....can't seem to save the programs we have stored now so more storage...more losses?

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

any changes published?

ok found 'a' change and it is a doozy stupid thing. Last now RETAINS the listing for those assets you finished/deleted. when you click on one that is deleted you get a choice to recover it or to remove from last list. Ok now this is really getting stupid. the whole point of last is to easily navigate to those channels or perhaps recorded assets you want to see. no need to 'see' in last those items that are already deleted. (all IMO of course).

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

any changes published?

ok found 'a' change and it is a doozy stupid thing. Last now RETAINS the listing for those assets you finished/deleted. when you click on one that is deleted you get a choice to recover it or to remove from last list. Ok now this is really getting stupid. the whole point of last is to easily navigate to those channels or perhaps recorded assets you want to see. no need to 'see' in last those items that are already deleted. (all IMO of course).

Hmm.  I found that feature very handy today.  I had deleted an asset earlier and my wife said she wanted to watch it.  The Last button worked as a shortcut.

Most Valued Poster

Yeah i get the corporate rss in my email already. They really have to increase the storage already
Regular Contributor

Again I cannot delete any recorded shows. Says Comcast is working hard to fix.  Fix ?  How hard can it be to delete a recording?

Silver Problem Solver

You said earlier you were able to delete individual recordings.  Are you saying you can't delete them now?

I would be tempted to replace my DVR if I had your issue.

Expert

@applehazar wrote:

Again I cannot delete any recorded shows. Says Comcast is working hard to fix.  Fix ?  How hard can it be to delete a recording?

do you get this message when you have deleted but the entry is still in your recordings? (note that with version 1.59.07 12/28/2015 so far i've not had one happen)...

deletefail2.jpg

Regular Contributor

This crud appears with the latest release. I keep getting 3 recordings of the football playoff games for each game. I cannot get them to delete from the listing even though the software says "Succesfully deleted"  some say "DVR service Unavailable" when you try to play them after deletion, others play from the beginning like they were never deleted at all.

I guess this shouldn't be a surprise when the head X1 programmer is:

Bestertester.png

Regular Contributor

yes - that is the message - i cannot get the version you have - as i am told Michigan is up to date with the nov 2015 version.

Expert

@applehazar wrote:

yes - that is the message - i cannot get the version you have - as i am told Michigan is up to date with the nov 2015 version.

I have deleted close to 30 recordings (assets) since the upgrade, and none have done that deleted error since. time will tell if that fixed it.

If you have cloud DVR you are attached to one of two head-end in the cloud centers. I'm not sure why the centers wouild be on different versions for more than a few days to see if unexpected undetected in beta bugs show up upon production release of the new version.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@applehazar wrote:

do you get this message when you have deleted but the entry is still in your recordings? (note that with version 1.59.07 12/28/2015 so far i've not had one happen)...

deletefail2.jpg

I get that message sometimes when trying to view/delete,etc but other DVR commands work. Its so frustrating

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

This crud appears with the latest release. I keep getting 3 recordings of the football playoff games for each game. I cannot get them to delete from the listing even though the software says "Succesfully deleted"  some say "DVR service Unavailable" when you try to play them after deletion, others play from the beginning like they were never deleted at all.

I guess this shouldn't be a surprise when the head X1 programmer is:

Bestertester.png

Hey look whose graphic STAYED as intended

Regular Contributor

Teri - this was an old graphic from my approved stored forum images. I have never gotten a reply on why some new images say "awaiting approval" and turn into the dreaded triangle icon. It sure takes the spontaneous aspect out of image posting.

The latest version I have of the X1 software is:

XRE 1.59.07

STB 2.2p3s2

The triplicating of playoff recordings only seems to happen to football games. I suspect it is linked to the recording extension aspect as most games run over the scheduled time and so far the box has recorded the entire event. 

It boggles the mind that the Comcast programmers cannot produce a stable, functioning, bug free version of the X1 software. I can't think of any company that could produce a software product  that could get away with the repeated mistakes we have been subjected to.

I guess Comcast is hoping we all go into some kind of Brain freeze and come to accept poor performance and bugs as the norm.

All I can say is: think about how your DVR worked before X1 and how it (Works ?) now. Is this a real improvement ?

NAH ! 

Regular Contributor

Without a doubt, yes!!

BeowolfJones wrote:

All I can say is: think about how your DVR worked before X1 and how it (Works ?) now. Is this a real improvement ?

NAH ! 

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Teri - this was an old graphic from my approved stored forum images. I have never gotten a reply on why some new images say "awaiting approval" and turn into the dreaded triangle icon. It sure takes the spontaneous aspect out of image posting.

The latest version I have of the X1 software is:

XRE 1.59.07

STB 2.2p3s2

The triplicating of playoff recordings only seems to happen to football games. I suspect it is linked to the recording extension aspect as most games run over the scheduled time and so far the box has recorded the entire event. 

It boggles the mind that the Comcast programmers cannot produce a stable, functioning, bug free version of the X1 software. I can't think of any company that could produce a software product  that could get away with the repeated mistakes we have been subjected to.

I guess Comcast is hoping we all go into some kind of Brain freeze and come to accept poor performance and bugs as the norm.

NAH ! 

I don't have the latest version and frankly don't care since I know it has not fixed anything and God only knows what has broken because of it.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Without a doubt, yes!!

@BeowolfJones wrote:

NAH ! 

BrandonBob...WOW...hard to believe that you like your DVR better NOW!  The main reason we got X1 was to be able to record a bunch of shows at the same time and that part is still intact (so far).  As they added features we were really happy but the features they took away were the ones that made us that way so all sad faces now. Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I can't think of any company that could produce a software product  that could get away with the repeated mistakes we have been subjected to.

Apple, with its buggy iOS updates.

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates and both

Expert

new firmware loaded mid-day yesterday. 2.2p3s2 tue 22 dec 2015.

this morning got new xre 1.59.08 01/12/2016 21:59 server version.

found no new menu items, didn't notice any missing. so far is still snappy response. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Problem Solver

Has anyone found any goodies with FW 2.2? I do remember seeing that it resolves issues in a mixed XG1/XG2/Xi environment, but that's about it.

Expert

@scjohnson312 wrote:

Has anyone found any goodies with FW 2.2? I do remember seeing that it resolves issues in a mixed XG1/XG2/Xi environment, but that's about it.

got 2.2s3 dated 1/12/2016. They appear to have fixed the delete program after watching it bug where the recording appeared in the list of recordings but when selected said DVR problem.

they added a bug though. go to a channel like CMT using search (I don't subscribe to it). Spike is same thing. select watch. the you don't subscribe popup comes up but you can not dismiss it. nothing fixes it but a reboot or a shift into power save and back to live.

Regular Contributor

Along with 2.2p3s2 STB we get a new

Widescreen Version of the Forum.

I'm feeling a little stretched.

Bowie.png

Silver Problem Solver

Edit your post and reduce the size of your pic and replace it.