Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I'm with you TeriB. Since I don't speak Spanish, listing Spanish Channels just adds to the clutter of a guide that is already bloated with entries. As has been stated many times by many people why can't Comcast fix what they already have before they add more stuff. They are acting like a high pressure salesman trying to keep the customers eyes off their X1 problems by using more and more new features as a redirection tactic. It's like Clark Griswald ending up with the Family Truckster instead of the car he wanted in 'Family Vacation".

With one or two XRE versions and the occasional STB version upgrade per month we have been bombarded with changes to the X! system since it's inception. It seems Comcast has adopted the Microsoft paradigm of monthly "patches" to their X1 OS. Too bad they aren't as good as Microsoft in making these changes transparent to the user.

Oye Como Va !

There you are! I was getting ready to PM you and make sure you were ok. I miss your missives.

Yep the guide is a bloated mess. Something for everyone and then some but I don't need to see it ALL. Takes longer to find a good  movie we have not seen than it takes to watch one. I have no problem with the 'reams' of pages but we need to be able to  filter.

Yes the certainly do try to placate and divert by adding bells and whistles when the locomotive is what needs attention! Can Comcast spell Paradigm shift?

Ha Ha..who says you can't speak Spanish Mr Santana!

Regular Contributor

The Progress bar is getting stuck again!  

Not happy at all about this. Smiley Sad

Also is Geek46 a MOD?

Regular Contributor

Is this a new X1 update?? -

My password recently stopped working, and I stopped getting emails and couldn't access the comcast web site.  The password still worked for the X1 site, but not the xfinitytv site with the DVR manager, and not for email.  I never changed it, and since it still worked for the one site, I'm not sure it ever was changed, so who knows what's going on, but it sure doesn't make me feel like my account is secure.

My https://xtv.comcast.net account shows my DVR at 72% full and has a bunch of recordings listed that are months old, some of which I don't remember scheduling.

My http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/  DVR manager shows the DVR at 47% full and matches what is on my DVR.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't have the password issue, but I did have the "My https://xtv.comcast.net account shows my DVR at 72% full and has a bunch of recordings listed that are months old, some of which I don't remember scheduling."  issue.

I deleted all those old recordings and got the site in sync with what I had showing on my DVR.

I called Comcast and they called me back today and I said I didn't have an issue anymore.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I don't have the password issue, but I did have the "My https://xtv.comcast.net account shows my DVR at 72% full and has a bunch of recordings listed that are months old, some of which I don't remember scheduling."  issue.

I deleted all those old recordings and got the site in sync with what I had showing on my DVR.

I called Comcast and they called me back today and I said I didn't have an issue anymore.

I did an online chat with a Comcast rep who said they did something on their end, and when I got home I could reboot my DVR and everything would then match up.

I did, it doesn't, no change (in my DVR % or the % of success I've had with Comcast support).

I wonder if this false 74% is going to affect my ability to record new shows at some point.  I'm tempted to set up a bunch of recordings just to test it, but afraid of the disaster that might cause.

Expert
Moved:

Merged into Cloud DVR Problems Thread for more Visibility.

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I did an online chat with a Comcast rep who said they did something on their end, and when I got home I could reboot my DVR and everything would then match up.

I did, it doesn't, no change (in my DVR % or the % of success I've had with Comcast support).

I wonder if this false 74% is going to affect my ability to record new shows at some point.  I'm tempted to set up a bunch of recordings just to test it, but afraid of the disaster that might cause.

I suspect that you could be facing the problem of not having any more space to record new video if Comcast doesn't  clean up your DVR space allocation problems. On the old pre-X1 system I had a recording of a Bonanza episode "Hoss and the Leprechauns" that had been on the box for over two years.  When I tried to delete it I couldn't get it to go away.  I tried every combination of deletions that were available but it just sat there. The system said it was deleted but it was still listed and could be played. I monitored it off and on for about six months when it finally went away.  It appeared that if a recording was older than a certain date the system would have problems deleting it.

I suspect that you are having a similar problem and Comcast's adding the "Cloud" to the whole DVR mess has exacerbated the problem. Since the DVR is basically a hard drive it sounds like Comcast needs some tips from Microsoft about File Allocation tables and maybe even how to manage a NTFS file system. It continues to amaze me how Comcast programmers can Kludge up a system that was pretty much error free before they came up with X1. I wonder if XRE versions are like Star Trek movies where even numbered ones are good and odd numbered ones stink.

Oxymoron or in X1's case Boxymoron.

I prez dah remote but nothinks happn's !

Expert

157.03 9/28 and *new* 2.1p6s1 

nothing new noted still but did 'find' a way to start a recording that does not present a menu choice of watch (for last many versions happens at random). When you have the menu up that starts with episodes (watch is missing no resume either), simply press 'play' button. started right up. no way to know if that was working on earlier soft/firmware.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

nothing new noted still but did 'find' a way to start a recording that does not present a menu choice of watch (for last many versions happens at random). When you have the menu up that starts with episodes (watch is missing no resume either), simply press 'play' button. started right up. no way to know if that was working on earlier soft/firmware.

add old problem of a just-deleted asset is still there. (delete, it disappears, get on screen 'is deleted', and then it re-appears. a reboot, a change (exit exit exit 480, exit exit exit 1080, or a power save and back on) all 'fix the asset list to not show the deleted program(s).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

add old problem of a just-deleted asset is still there. (delete, it disappears, get on screen 'is deleted', and then it re-appears. a reboot, a change (exit exit exit 480, exit exit exit 1080, or a power save and back on) all 'fix the asset list to not show the deleted program(s).

We are constantly having the problem that no matter what method you use to delete an asset it doesn't go away until hours later or the next day.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

We are constantly having the problem that no matter what method you use to delete an asset it doesn't go away until hours later or the next day.

I have deleted six recordings this morning with no issue.

2.1p6s2

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I have deleted six recordings this morning with no issue.

2.1p6s2

So glad to hear that. I have the same update versions so fingers crossed

Diamond Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Got 1.57.03 yesterday.  Any notes for it?

Added free On Demand Extras for movies and TV shows
Added Photo Galleries for select, electronic sell-through movie Extras with an improved browsing experience
Updated upsell flow overlays to fit all disclaimer text and be read aloud when Voice Guidance is turned on

also

On October 6, the Voicemail, My Account and XFINITY Home apps for XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System were updated with the following key, customer-facing enhancements:
Voicemail
Refreshes Voicemail list after clicking INFO button
My Account
Tech arrival - Updated estimated time of arrival (ETA)
Updates to states for expired and invalid card on file
Updated Comcast.com URLs to the new My Account Xfinity.com URLs
XFINITY Home
Added Works with XFINITY Home customer information page
Collapsed open/close door and window events in History

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

THANK YOU  Andrew......!

Terri

Regular Contributor

2.1p6s1

A couple of things Comcast could fix.

1. restore the wrap around on the individual movie/program menu so you don't have to right arrow all the way to the end to get "Movie Info". It used to work several versions ago.

2. When you right arrow for a channel listing while you're watching a DVR'd asset, show the channel you are currently on instead of the channel the show was DVR'd from. If I wanted that channel I would already be on it.

3. Install a filter on the movie guide to list only channels I have a subscription to. I hate seeing a movie I would like to watch only to get a "Available with subscription" message.

4. Since I get the Disney channel already why should I have to pay extra to watch a Disney OD movie ? 

5. The weather Control panel is nice but It could use local radar image and a 24 hr weather statistics options.

Interesting factoid: I got a dollar in change the other day and noticed the bill looked very worn. I checked the issue date and it was 1969 !  Amazing that a paper bill would be in circulation for over 46 years.

Contributor

@shaunsindelman wrote:

What in particular about Surround Sound audio got updated?

@CCAndrew wrote:

Hey Butch, just for you:

Co-Pilot Program Launch: Ability for agents to perform a takeover of a customer’s X1 set-top box to provide better troubleshooting (limited trial).
Spanish Language Menu Support: Menu language can be set to Spanish as a default; when selected, the Main Menu, linear guide, Kids Zone and more will display in Spanish.
TV Extras: Extras (e.g., behind the scenes featurettes) can now be purchased from TV series and movie entity pages.
SAP and D)) icons added to details pages and XFINITY On Demand watch/rent/buy options when content has an available SAP or Video Description audio track.
SAP filter added to XFINITY On Demand.
Surround sound audio updates.
Power Save feature now defaulted to ON.

1.57.03 coming soon ( some may already have it)

FYI - Still waiting on an answer to my question.

Diamond Problem Solver

@BeowolfJones wrote:

2.1p6s1

1. restore the wrap around on the individual movie/program menu so you don't have to right arrow all the way to the end to get "Movie Info". It used to work several versions ago.

2. When you right arrow for a channel listing while you're watching a DVR'd asset, show the channel you are currently on instead of the channel the show was DVR'd from. If I wanted that channel I would already be on it.

3. Install a filter on the movie guide to list only channels I have a subscription to. I hate seeing a movie I would like to watch only to get a "Available with subscription" message.

4. Since I get the Disney channel already why should I have to pay extra to watch a Disney OD movie ? 

5. The weather Control panel is nice but It could use local radar image and a 24 hr weather statistics options.

Interesting factoid: I got a dollar in change the other day and noticed the bill looked very worn. I checked the issue date and it was 1969 !  Amazing that a paper bill would be in circulation for over 46 years.

For #3

what happens when you go into On Demand --->Movies, scroll down to All Movies, click on All Movies, arrow up to filter and under Free or Pay, choose Free to Me

#4 it's a separate service, provided by Disney,

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

About Disney. Every other Premium Channel allows you to watch their movies if you have a subscription. The movie list for Disney is pretty short compared to Encore or HBO. It just seems odd that Disney is an exception. If they had a bigger listing then I might consider it but as it stands now, no way. I already get all the premium channels and then here comes Disney with their hand out again. Bogus !

Grub, Grub Grub that money Walt.

Grub, Grub, Grub til' the viewers call a halt.

Tell Saint Peter at the Pearly gate.

That you hate to make him wait.

But you're busy grubing  dollars for the vault.

(With apologies to Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen)

and yeah, I know in this case it's Disney not Comacst who is the culprit.

Expert

@BeowolfJones wrote:

2.1p6s1

hope you kept it (silver certificate). seal is in red not green.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

About Disney. Every other Premium Channel allows you to watch their movies if you have a subscription. The movie list for Disney is pretty short compared to Encore or HBO. It just seems odd that Disney is an exception. If they had a bigger listing then I might consider it but as it stands now, no way. I already get all the premium channels and then here comes Disney with their hand out again. Bogus !

Grub, Grub Grub that money Walt.

Grub, Grub, Grub til' the viewers call a halt.

Tell Saint Peter at the Pearly gate.

That you hate to make him wait.

But you're busy grubing  dollars for the vault.

(With apologies to Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen)

and yeah, I know in this case it's Disney not Comacst who is the culprit.

Guess ole Walt's HEAD is still in the game!

hardy har har har.jpg

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

2.1p6s1

Totally agree on #3. And it doesn't say Available With Suscription, it says Free With Subscription. That's not free! But they will never change this. They want you to click on those channels, and because you're clicking on them you must have wanted to watch the content, so maybe you'll subscribe, and pay money so you can get the content for "free".

Expert

new xre rec'd overnight 1.57.05 10/05/2015  fw still 2.1p6s1 on a mx011an arris vers 1

a check through 'gear' didn't see anything new or obvious missing items. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

Please see below for October X1 Updates. Please keep in mind that the updates here are new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other backend issues.

Enhancing Integration of Extra Content and Accessibility Features

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks Gwen! Exciting updates that I know I will enjoy!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi All,

Please see below for October X1 Updates. Please keep in mind that the updates here are new customer facing features and improvements coming to the product – this does not include any of the development work to improve stability and other backend issues.

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Thanks Gwen! Exciting updates that I know I will enjoy!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi All,

Boring updates if you ask me Smiley Sad

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Well, this has been fun, NOT ! I think I finally have the latest X1 version but tonight the Box decided to lock up on the channel guide and it took 4 reboots and 2 hrs on the phone to Comcast to get a picture back and now the box is ignoring every command the remote sends. To add insult to injury Comcast can't get anyone out here until Tuesday afternoon and it's Saturday night ! So my X1 experience now consists of one channel. I can't do anything with the remote and I'm afraid to reboot again because at least I have a picture back instead of a black screen. The odd thing is the accessory box upstairs works ok. Maybe the DVR box is the problem. Interestingly, I can play a movie I DVR'd on the accessory box which has to access the DVR box downstairs.  No outages reported in our area.

As Alice said, Curiouser and Curiouser

Not the kind of service I expect from my cable company.

Expert

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Well, this has been fun, NOT ! I think I finally have the latest X1 version but tonight the Box decided to lock up on the channel guide and it took 4 reboots and 2 hrs on the phone to Comcast to get a picture back and now the box is ignoring every command the remote sends. To add insult to injury Comcast can't get anyone out here until Tuesday afternoon and it's Saturday night ! So my X1 experience now consists of one channel. I can't do anything with the remote and I'm afraid to reboot again because at least I have a picture back instead of a black screen. The odd thing is the accessory box upstairs works ok. Maybe the DVR box is the problem. Interestingly, I can play a movie I DVR'd on the accessory box which has to access the DVR box downstairs.  No outages reported in our area.

As Alice said, Curiouser and Curiouser

Not the kind of service I expect from my cable company.

for giggles and grins... do you have a smart device that can use the xfinity app X1 remote ? it uses the interent to do remote control. IF your upstream is the problem you bypass that using the app. In the app, upper left corner is a 'gear' select that and then select which box name to remote control. then swipe between screens to find the channel changer keypad and change channel directly there. Hopefully you will be able to change channel with the app or play a recording using the app until they fix the problem.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion Rusty but I don't have any devices that you mentioned. The closest I come is a KIndle and that doesn't work.

The rest of the story is that after about three hours the box began working again. The first technician they sent three weeks ago said the problem was outside but so far Comcast hasn't fixed their infrastructure. The problem is intermittent so I suspect that somewhere in the cable lines on the telephone poles there is a poor connection. I have tried to get them to supply an amplifier to keep the signal at a steady level but Comcast just doesn't like to install them and claim they cause more problems than they solve. I have read enough posts to know amps have solved some peoples problems like mine. So as of right now my service can go out at any time. The Comcast rep on the phone was trying to be helpful but he couldn't get the box to respond to anything he did. Reboot or anything. The 4th time I pulled the plug and let the box sit for 10 minutes. I finally got a picture back and was able to change the channel 2 times when the box froze again on the channel guide so I watched some Amazon prime on my laptop. Around 10:00 pm the box started working again with the remote. I have been a Comcast Customer for almost 30 years and I have never had these kinds of problems that the X1 system has. I also feel that if a customer is having the kind of problems I am, Comcast should be able to get a Tech visit scheduled sooner than 3 1/2 days later.

Conclusions:

1. Comcast is understaffed here ?

2. I'm not the only one having problems.

3. Grrrrrr ! 

Here are my Docsis readings from the diagnostic menu.

Downstream

Downstream rec Power              2.1dBmv

Downstream SNR                     40.5 tenthdB

Upstream

upstream power                       51.0 tenthdB

I believe somewhere in the multitude of posts I have read that the upstream power should be in the 36 - 38 range so I would appear to have too strong a signal but my problems usually start when the Comcast labs "Check signal strength" app shows a "Low Signal". The problem is often  the box locks up and ignores commands from the remote. Last night when it was locked up I got into the diagnostic menu and the DOCSIS readings were identical to the above listings but the box is working today with the same readings.

Wanted 1 each Knowledgeable Comcast Tech.

Apply Within.

As I have stated a ton of times before most of these problems would not exist of Comcast hadn't insisted on "The Cloud" being an integral part of the X1 software.

PS: The first time I typed it, it came out "The Clud". Seems apropos somehow.

Problem Solver

Your upstream transmit power levels are borderline. A change in temperature could be all it took to cause your issues.

Regular Contributor

Yes SC I can grok that but Comcast needs to fix their infrastructure so a change in temperature doesn't matter. As it is,  I have a tv system that is unreliable and that doesn't cut it. It's their equipment outside, FIX IT ! At least I will be getting some use from the extra money I pay for support each month. But a 3 1/2 day wait for a support visit ? It sure makes their smarmy "We are dedicated to support" commercials look Bogus. ( The forum editor won't let me post what I really think)

Boo ! Hiss !

Problem Solver

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yes SC I can grok that but Comcast needs to fix their infrastructure so a change in temperature doesn't matter. As it is,  I have a tv system that is unreliable and that doesn't cut it. It's their equipment outside, FIX IT ! At least I will be getting some use from the extra money I pay for support each month. But a 3 1/2 day wait for a support visit ? It sure makes their smarmy "We are dedicated to support" commercials look Bogus. ( The forum editor won't let me post what I really think)

Boo ! Hiss !

Blaming Comcast for physics, that's a new one! Smiley Happy

Really, you shouldn't need an amp unless you have a lot of outlets. It's possible there is an issue outside your house, but it's also very likely there is a wiring issue inside your house.

Regular Contributor

Beo,

The higher the upstream levels, the lower the signal basically. The more attenuation and loss means the stronger the eCM has to transmit and the higher the upstream power level. That's why 51 could be interpreted as "low signal" like you mentioned.

SC,

You can't say the upstream levels are borderline without knowing the modulation of the return and the number of bonded channels. If his X1 box is bonded to 3 or 4 channels, then yes 51 dBmV is the maximum Tx level and it would be undesirable. However, if the set-top is only on a single 64-QAM upstream, then being a DOCSIS 3.0 device it can Tx up to 57 dBmV. In that case, 51 is not really that high. From what I know of the X1 configuration, it disables bonding and is only on a single upstream, but I won't stake my life on that.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way, just being educational.

Regular Contributor

Whatever the reason, Comcast needs to find and fix the problem. Comcast  replaced ALL the cable in my house a year ago and the techs they have sent say the internal cable  and connections are not the problem. Every bit of cable and all the connections are virtually new. I admit I don't have the knowledge that Lightstorm has about the bonded channels etc and their levels but this just started happening about a month ago. The signal will test as low and then an hour later will test as good.

It is not blaming the laws of physics to expect a cable company to have reliable connections that are capable of functioning with the expansion and contraction caused by normal temperature changes.  Years ago a problem we had on my block was finally attributed to squirrels chewing through the cable. We have a ton of squirrels here. At this point all I know for sure is that the problem comes and goes without warning.  The intermittent problem is always the hardest type to pin down. It does not matter what the system or device. Your car, the mass spectrometer in your lab, the main Unix box or a magnetic resonance spectrometer.  We once had a problem with a Gas Chromatograph when we began converting sugars to sylil ether derivatives so they could be injected onto a packed column  and  detected by a FID detector. It turned out the sylil ethers were converted back to silicon dioxide in the hydrogen flame of the FID detector and were fouling the detector annulus after a few runs. Regular cleaning solved the problem.

So I hope the tech they send fixes my problem or gets Comcast to fix it if it is outside. Of course the box is always working when the tech gets here.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Another scenario with old recordings.. late last week 16 shows from July and August that had been deleted back then were somehow resurrected back to the recordings list with the 'blue' line showing they had been watched. I thought I was having a really serious senior moment. I methodically deleted every one of them again but they would not delete. I had to restart to  get them to go away and now they reside in the 'deleted' folder which I have not cleaned out in a long time. They show up as recent deletions rather than going back to where they used to reside before they came back. Anyone else?  After reading what Comcast told Robert I decided not to call them.

Regular Contributor

Hello TerriB !

I'm sure your deleted recordings are related to the "Cloud/Clud".  It also seems very odd to me that I can rewind a show I have been watching back (sometimes to past the beginning as long as I haven't changed the channel) but can't record the rewound portion because Comcast says they can't figure out how to do it in the Cloud. If it's on the hard drive in the DVR why not ? There has been way to much stonewalling by Comcast on this issue. Come on, X1 has been out long enough that we shouldn't be seeing these issues by now.  Somewhere Comcast lost sight of reliable service. Like a hiker looking only at the top of the mountain he is climbing, they keep stumbling over every log and rock along the way. Meanwhile we customers get to trip and stumble along with them.

I have always made Quality not quantity the hallmark of my work. So Comcast, how about some QUALITY in your next releases ? We have already experienced the QUANTITY part.

Regular Contributor

Just as I was making my last post the TVland channel went to the logo and said free with subscription.  Then the box tried to show the HBOZN channel but couldn't tune to it. I have both as part of my package.  About 5 minutes later I could tune back to TVland (minus the 5 minutes).  Just another peachy keen wonderful fulfilling rewarding day in Comcastland and Unpleasantville.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Hello TerriB !

I'm sure your deleted recordings are related to the "Cloud/Clud".  It also seems very odd to me that I can rewind a show I have been watching back (sometimes to past the beginning as long as I haven't changed the channel) but can't record the rewound portion because Comcast says they can't figure out how to do it in the Cloud. If it's on the hard drive in the DVR why not ? There has been way to much stonewalling by Comcast on this issue. Come on, X1 has been out long enough that we shouldn't be seeing these issues by now.  Somewhere Comcast lost sight of reliable service. Like a hiker looking only at the top of the mountain he is climbing, they keep stumbling over every log and rock along the way. Meanwhile we customers get to trip and stumble along with them.

I have always made Quality not quantity the hallmark of my work. So Comcast, how about some QUALITY in your next releases ? We have already experienced the QUANTITY part.

The cloud is ruining our X1 experience. Not being able to record unwound portion is the bane of my existence.  Makes me more and more angry every time I need to do it. Its almost like I have to record every single show JUST in case someone else here wants to see it later. Ridiculous behavoir for a company like Comcast.

Now that I am seeing the Lazarus effect  with recordings coming back from the dead after being deleted 3 and 4 months ago all I can say is  to ruin Stones's lyrics and say " Hey Hey...take me off your CLOUD"

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Boo ! Hiss !

I would love an update that fixed the basic issues.  Issues that have existed for me since day one.  Based on advice from helpful folks in this forum I had a tech come out a couple weeks back, even though I had nothing specific that I could point to other than the same ongoing performance issues that are inherent to the platform.

They said all of my signals are great, as good as can be, and (contrary to what others have said here) they were the third tech to tell me in person "this is just how the platform is".

Last night I had another horrible viewing experience trying to watch MNF from the DVR.  About 30% of button presses had delayed reaction, so a 30 second skip forward wouldn't occur for 10 seconds, so instead of skipping to the next play, it would skip past the next play, and I'd have to try to rewind or skip back.  Which would sometimes work, or sometimes get stuck playing while waiting to rewind, or sometimes then get stuck rewinding while while I wanted it to stop and play. All in all a horrible experience.

Yeah, I know, I could probably fix it, and eventually did, by resetting the box.  But since I was watching while the game was still going on, that would mean turning off the box during the recording and missing part of the game.

The cloud has destroyed the DVR for me.

I understand if there are connections issues that watching something on demand might be affected.  But watching a show that is sitting on a box 10 feet in front of me, and having a delayed responsed from a remote that is 10 feet from a box is just a horrible implementation.  There is no reason the cloud needs to be involved in the signal from my remote to my DVR.

I should be able to watch content from my DVR during an outage.  I should be able to tell the difference between content on my DVR and content on the cloud.  And if I have a history of poor performance, in my area, my set up, whatever.  I should be able to move content from the cloud to my DVR ahead of time, buffer, move a copy, whatever, so that I can watch the content from my DVR without any issues.

And within this process, I could then have full DVR capability, without having any affect on everyone else on the cloud, and therefore could have full slow motion forward and back, and frame by frame.  

Also, if your technology doesn't work properly when the temperature changes, then your technology isn't ready for release.

Regular Contributor

Well the Comcast Tech is due today. I am currently on:

XRE Server Version 1.57.03

STB Version 2.1p6s1

With the extremely unreliable service I have had lately I don't know if the latest releases are at fault or if it is a low signal or what, but I seem to be getting all the problems other posters have been complaining about. Maybe my X1 box has been Hoodooed.

1. The movie "Hard Times" with Charles Bronson I recorded from the AMC channel was listed as such complete with picture Guide description but the content was a Sonny Chiba "Chop Socky" flick. Bad Guide entry ? DVR recorded El-Rey Channel ?

2. Lost TVland twice yesterday with "Free with subscription" message. Both times was able to get it back in about 5 minutes.

3. Progress Bar stuck. Pressed a bunch of keys but if finally when away about 5 minutes later. Stuck ? Time out ?

4. Movie I recorded failed to record the last 20 minutes of the movie. Grrrr ! Now I'm back to having to fast forward through the recordings to be sure I don't waste my time watching a show where I am denied the conclusion. I'm beginning to think Comcast programmers have a large bin with strips of paper containing all the previous fixed problems and are forced to blindly select one to reinstitute in the next relase.

5. Cable Signal is consistanly testing as "low" all the time now. Docsis readings are about the same as my previously posted ones.

Now if it was me and I was sure the problem was outside I would start at the house and back trace the customers cable and main lines until I found the problem if I had to trace the cable and connections/whatever all the way back to the server farm.

This is the second tech visit in three weeks. Ok Comcast, the ball is in your court. Are you going to make a basket or throw it out of bounds ?

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

I would love an update that fixed the basic issues.  Issues that have existed for me since day one.  Based on advice from helpful folks in this forum I had a tech come out a couple weeks back, even though I had nothing specific that I could point to other than the same ongoing performance issues that are inherent to the platform.

They said all of my signals are great, as good as can be, and (contrary to what others have said here) they were the third tech to tell me in person "this is just how the platform is".

Last night I had another horrible viewing experience trying to watch MNF from the DVR.  About 30% of button presses had delayed reaction, so a 30 second skip forward wouldn't occur for 10 seconds, so instead of skipping to the next play, it would skip past the next play, and I'd have to try to rewind or skip back.  Which would sometimes work, or sometimes get stuck playing while waiting to rewind, or sometimes then get stuck rewinding while while I wanted it to stop and play. All in all a horrible experience.

Yeah, I know, I could probably fix it, and eventually did, by resetting the box.  But since I was watching while the game was still going on, that would mean turning off the box during the recording and missing part of the game.

The cloud has destroyed the DVR for me.

I understand if there are connections issues that watching something on demand might be affected.  But watching a show that is sitting on a box 10 feet in front of me, and having a delayed responsed from a remote that is 10 feet from a box is just a horrible implementation.  There is no reason the cloud needs to be involved in the signal from my remote to my DVR.

I should be able to watch content from my DVR during an outage.  I should be able to tell the difference between content on my DVR and content on the cloud.  And if I have a history of poor performance, in my area, my set up, whatever.  I should be able to move content from the cloud to my DVR ahead of time, buffer, move a copy, whatever, so that I can watch the content from my DVR without any issues.

And within this process, I could then have full DVR capability, without having any affect on everyone else on the cloud, and therefore could have full slow motion forward and back, and frame by frame.  

Also, if your technology doesn't work properly when the temperature changes, then your technology isn't ready for release.

That would make a great public service announcement for users of X1. All we want is control over the DVR by having the option to Get off the Cloud and get back what they took away from us

. We lost so many great  useful functions when they started the cloud. I want to cuss so badly.

Speaking of frame by frame. We got it when we didn't want it. Watching a recorded network program we could not FF. No matter what speed we chose it went somewhere between slo mo and frame by frame speed. We could not believe our eyes. It was the only program that did it but it was so strange.

Regular Contributor

Terri you are so right.

The pre-X1 DVR harddrive was always recording whatever channel you were watching. So, if you decided to record a show after it started it was a simple matter to have the harddrive include the already viewed segment in the recording. I would really like someone from Comcast to explain why they can't do the same thing now. You can back up a channels content which would indicate that it is still local to the box (I may be wrong because OD content FF's and RW's quickly). However, why can't they go back to what they were doing before ? We have six tuners so we can do multiple recording but less functionality than we had before with only a couple of tuners. Surely Comcast is aware that we the customers want our old functionality back. Why aren't they listening to us ?

Another case of a Ferrari with a VW beetle engine under the hood.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Terri you are so right.

The pre-X1 DVR harddrive was always recording whatever channel you were watching. So, if you decided to record a show after it started it was a simple matter to have the harddrive include the already viewed segment in the recording. I would really like someone from Comcast to explain why they can't do the same thing now. You can back up a channels content which would indicate that it is still local to the box (I may be wrong because OD content FF's and RW's quickly). However, why can't they go back to what they were doing before ? We have six tuners so we can do multiple recording but less functionality than we had before with only a couple of tuners. Surely Comcast is aware that we the customers want our old functionality back. Why aren't they listening to us ?

Another case of a Ferrari with a VW beetle engine under the hood.

Main theme seems to be that they are not listening to a group of people who really want to help make X1 better for everyone. We find problems, report them, find workarounds, cry on each other's shoulders , etc and the only ones who seem to care are US. More technology should mean greater control but not with X1. Its just the opposite.

Most Valued Poster

This probably belongs on a cloud thread but since we talk alot about how the cloud has ruined our DVR experience I just had to share this from today's Comcast corporate email. I almost lost my lunch reading it. Where can I get my hands on SCTE? Had to look that one up...Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers. I used to be a telcom network engineer for AT&T so the hair on my neck stood up.  We listened to our customers. Granted they were all internal and we wanted them to succeed and they also had a affect on our paychecks! That was a great incentive...duh.  Trust me..internal customers can be as or  more difficult to deal with than external ones. If we could influence the pay checks of Comcast...they would be johnny on the spot

• Harnessing The Cloud – In the simplest terms, what makes the cloud so powerful in a network environment, is that it lets us take the functions that we typically associate with a physical computer or server, move them into the network, and deliver them where they are needed, in exactly the right proportion, almost instantaneously. Computing, storage and networking functions that were once tethered to a specific device can now be made available anywhere, and scaled to fit the exact need of users. The engineers at SCTE have a big role to play in making that all work. Cutting edge technological concepts like Software Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization will be big topics of discussion at SCTE as we talk about how we will deliver network resources to our customers in an always-on, on-demand world.
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

This probably belongs on a cloud thread but since we talk alot about how the cloud has ruined our DVR experience I just had to share this from today's Comcast corporate email. I almost lost my lunch reading it. Where can I get my hands on SCTE? Had to look that one up...Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers. I used to be a telcom network engineer for AT&T so the hair on my neck stood up.  We listened to our customers. Granted they were all internal and we wanted them to succeed and they also had a affect on our paychecks! That was a great incentive...duh.  Trust me..internal customers can be as or  more difficult to deal with than external ones. If we could influence the pay checks of Comcast...they would be johnny on the spot

• Harnessing The Cloud – In the simplest terms, what makes the cloud so powerful in a network environment, is that it lets us take the functions that we typically associate with a physical computer or server, move them into the network, and deliver them where they are needed, in exactly the right proportion, almost instantaneously. Computing, storage and networking functions that were once tethered to a specific device can now be made available anywhere, and scaled to fit the exact need of users. The engineers at SCTE have a big role to play in making that all work. Cutting edge technological concepts like Software Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization will be big topics of discussion at SCTE as we talk about how we will deliver network resources to our customers in an always-on, on-demand world.

Didn't you notice this was ancccidentally released message about how things work at the Men in Black headquarters ? Any time now I'm expecting to be neuralized for seeing your post.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Didn't you notice this was ancccidentally released message about how things work at the Men in Black headquarters ? Any time now I'm expecting to be neuralized for seeing your post.

Better than being neutered...sorry could not help myself.

Regular Contributor

I personally love the cloud features and would be very very sad if they went away. I hope there are no plans to remove these incredibly powerful features!

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I personally love the cloud features and would be very very sad if they went away. I hope there are no plans to remove these incredibly powerful features!

There's nothing wrong with the cloud features, nor do I hope they go away.

The issues are with every functionality, including basic DVR funtionality, being linked to the could unneccessarily.

Regular Contributor

thanks TC, I probably should have quoted the person who said that they did not want the features any longer. I think it was either Terri or Beowolf or both of them.