Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Oh my god.  The new in game highlights feature is so incredibly cool! I used it today from a DVR recording of an NFL preseason game. Love this feature!

Regular Contributor

The Auto Extend feature did not work for todays Eagles game! Smiley Sad

The game was 1PM to 4PM and the recording stopped exactly at 4PM even though the game still had over 3 minutes left.

I will not be using this feature anytime soon.

Regular Contributor

If I were you, I would call x1 support and report this. this thread is helpful and occasionally andrew or other comcast reps check in but this thread does not guarantee reporting of issues to the people that would need to know it is not working. calling them is usually a quick and painless process in my experience and might be worth your time.

@gate1975mlm wrote:

The game was 1PM to 4PM and the recording stopped exactly at 4PM even though the game still had over 3 minutes left.

Expert

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:
When you say "an angle bracket in the left corner of the time display"...what do you mean? Can you post a pic?

Are you referring to something next to the clock on the front of the box?

The angle bracket is a mini-"7" in appearance and signifiy's that a revision was received but was not applied to the box for whatever reason....   If you see this, just do a manual reboot of the box and this will apply the revision that was down loaded but not installed...  The bracket disappears after the reboot.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@gate1975mlm wrote:

It has worked for the last two Astros games here in Houston.

If were you, I would set it until it works.  Just record the next program until it does, as you know.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I taped game, how do you access highlights? 

Silver Problem Solver

@Genesis722 wrote:

You can only use it during a live broadcast.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-sports-app-watch-games/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Actually, it's the other way around. DVR highlights can only be accessed via DVR recordings. Just record your game and then watch it. When you start to watch it, the event will notify you that highlights are available and use the page up and page down to skip between highlights. I saw this first hand with a NFL preseason game I recorded. However, DVR highlights of games are only available in select markets, mine is one of them. This feature is not the sports app. It's something new and different 

@RobertWy wrote:

@Genesis722 wrote:

You can only use it during a live broadcast.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-sports-app-watch-games/

Silver Problem Solver

I didn't know about highlights from DVR.  I was thinking in-game Extra's.

Regular Contributor

the DVR highlights are probably the coolest thing i have seen in a long time. the info says only soccer but it worked wonderfully for NFL.  there is more info at this link about them:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/new-this-month-on-x1-elevating-sports-programming-and-si...

@RobertWy wrote:

I didn't know about highlights from DVR.  I was thinking in-game Extra's.

Silver Problem Solver

That link doesn't seem to show how to get them.  But I'm probably not in the right Market.

Regular Contributor

i just checked the link and it does explain how to use them. it is under the heading of "Comcast Labs: DVR In-Game Highlights"

@RobertWy wrote:

That link doesn't seem to show how to get them.  But I'm probably not in the right Market.

Silver Problem Solver

Page Up - Page Down.  Don't have anything to test it with.  Only have the Astros game recorded.  I don't usually record sports.

Problem Solver

Went from 2.1s12 to 2.1p1s2 8/14/15 today. Still nothing noticably different, which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing..

Regular Contributor

Last week Comcast finally implemented Cloud DVR services in the Memphis area.  The Xfinity TV app began to work on my iPhone and iPad.  This app allowed me to stream live TV from  any of my 200 channels on my iPhone and iPad,  It allowed me to bring up the guide, and to change channels, just like the TV Remote app.  It allowed me to stream Comcast On Demand content to my iPhone and iPad just like the TV GO app.  However, the new functionality of allowing me to stream DVR recordings to, or download them to iPhone or iPad, did not initially work.  I knew that the difficult task would be, as it always is on new Comcast services, to get the proper billing codes activated in my account.  To get this accomplished required opening a ticket on the issue, and several phone calls and talking to billing agents, a billing supervisor, X1 technical report, and X1 application support.  But finally, I triumphed over adversity, and everything is now working properly.  I have authorized five devices for Cloud DVR capabilities, two iPhones, two iPads, and a Windows 7 laptop.  I can look at my DVR recordings and DVR schedule and schedule the DVR just as in the TV Remote app.    I can stream any new DVR recordings tO any or all five devices at the same time.  I can download any new DVR recording to any IPhone or iPad.  Once a recording has been downloaded to a device I can watch it offline.  At this point it is considered to be "checked out" and cannot be viewed on any other device or the TV until it is "checked in" via the app.  I have been waiting for quite a while for these new services to arrive in Memphis, and I have to say, they do work quite well.  Good job Comcast.  I believe the same services are available over on the Dark Side, in Android Land.

Most Valued Poster

I sure wish they would fix the notification process for new posts on the forums. I am missing some interesting conversations. I subscribe to too many topics to check them all so I really miss being notified.

Silver Problem Solver

Terri,

Do you look at your Subscriptions?  The ones I want to follow are there when I select "Subscribe to this discussion". 

I don't like getting emails.

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

I sure wish they would fix the notification process for new posts on the forums. I am missing some interesting conversations. I subscribe to too many topics to check them all so I really miss being notified.

Doesn't help that sometimes the emails are delayed by a day or more..

Expert

@scjohnson312 wrote:

Doesn't help that sometimes the emails are delayed by a day or more..

Comcast is aware of the issue with Lithium failing to notify with emails for posts, kudos, solutions and PMs...   it's a large issue and they are looking into fixing it soon

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

1.56.02 08/24/2015.. only new thing I see is I was greeted by a notification about how long my STB was in power saver. Spanish is also out of Labs and in its own menu (don't remember if this was the case in 1.55 or not)

Pressing info on the power saver notification presents a message seems to indicate that power saver is now enabled by default, and you can now set more granular timeouts for when it starts power saver.

Also it seems quite snappy now for some reason..

Highlighted
New Poster

SCJohnson-

Wow - you really get the updates early.

Here in Seattle (where they seem to hit last) - still on the 8/10 XRE version, and the 7/20 STB firmware (p12).

Regular Contributor

@scjohnson312 wrote:

1.56.02 08/24/2015.. only new thing I see is I was greeted by a notification about how long my STB was in power saver. Spanish is also out of Labs and in its own menu (don't remember if this was the case in 1.55 or not)

Pressing info on the power saver notification presents a message seems to indicate that power saver is now enabled by default, and you can now set more granular timeouts for when it starts power saver.

Also it seems quite snappy now for some reason..

The whole X1 UI including Fast Forwarding and Rewinding had been really sluggish for the past 2 weeks or so but 2 days ago all of a sudden everything has got so much faster and more responsive again. And I am still on the older software versions so I don't think the latest software update that you got has anything to do with the improved snappy feel. Comcast must have done some work on there servers. Anyway I am very happy it is very snappy again like you said and hope hope it stays this way but I doubt if it will Smiley Sad

Everything was so slow like for example when fast forwarding and you hit the play button it would sometimes take like 3 or 4 seconds before the fast forwarding would stop and play would continue. But like I said the last 2 days even at night which is when it is the worst has been very snappy Smiley Happy If Comcast can keep the X1 UI always being as snappy as it was while watching TV last night 99.9 % of the time that would be fantastic!

Regular Contributor

O and another thing can someone form Comcast explain why some areas like where scjohnson312 lives get the X1 Software updates much early then most others?

Just wondering Smiley Happy lol

Silver Problem Solver

My guess is the updates are rolled out across market areas in stages.

But the Comcast mods have never really given us an answer.

Problem Solver

@gate1975mlm wrote:

O and another thing can someone form Comcast explain why some areas like where scjohnson312 lives get the X1 Software updates much early then most others?

Just wondering Smiley Happy lol

Most cloud software is pushed out in this staged approach to limit impact if a new update has unforseen issues when deployed. My XG1 must be in a lucky group of boxes.

Expert

@scjohnson312 wrote:

Most cloud software is pushed out in this staged approach to limit impact if a new update has unforseen issues when deployed. My XG1 must be in a lucky group of boxes.

Maybe.... I have the same STB as well....  : )

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Do you look at your Subscriptions?  The ones I want to follow are there when I select "Subscribe to this discussion". 

I don't like getting emails.

I am subscribed and until recently got all notifications. I just got one for the last post in this thread but I see there have been many posted since the last time I was here. I want all notifications

Most Valued Poster

Anyone having this problem........when FF a recording the progress bar never goes away. I think we have discussed this before but the mind wanders. I have to do all sorts of things to get rid of it and its super annoying.

Frequent Visitor

@TerriB wrote:

Anyone having this problem........when FF a recording the progress bar never goes away. I think we have discussed this before but the mind wanders. I have to do all sorts of things to get rid of it and its super annoying.

Yes. I've been experiencing this same problem for the last week. It's very annoying. Sometimes a rewind for a bit then FF back solves it, but not always.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

Yes I have been dealing with this everyday for like the last 2 months or so Smiley Sad

I hope it will be fixed because I never had this problem before it started about 2 months or so ago. When it happens I have to pause the recording, click the Exit button to remove the info bar and then click the play button the infobar re apears again but this time the info bar goes away.

Most Valued Poster

Sometimes pausing and playing again will make the progress bar go away but not always. Same with a little FF or RW. Last resort is exit and go back and resume recording. How many workarounds to these types of issues do you guys think we have had to come up with? I don't see any interest on Comcast's part to fix this relatively new one so into the black hole it goes.

Regular Contributor

yes, this is a super useful feature that works perfectly for me too!

@Bowmanal wrote:

Last week Comcast finally implemented Cloud DVR services in the Memphis area.  The Xfinity TV app began to work on my iPhone and iPad.  This app allowed me to stream live TV from  any of my 200 channels on my iPhone and iPad,  It allowed me to bring up the guide, and to change channels, just like the TV Remote app.  It allowed me to stream Comcast On Demand content to my iPhone and iPad just like the TV GO app.  However, the new functionality of allowing me to stream DVR recordings to, or download them to iPhone or iPad, did not initially work.  I knew that the difficult task would be, as it always is on new Comcast services, to get the proper billing codes activated in my account.  To get this accomplished required opening a ticket on the issue, and several phone calls and talking to billing agents, a billing supervisor, X1 technical report, and X1 application support.  But finally, I triumphed over adversity, and everything is now working properly.  I have authorized five devices for Cloud DVR capabilities, two iPhones, two iPads, and a Windows 7 laptop.  I can look at my DVR recordings and DVR schedule and schedule the DVR just as in the TV Remote app.    I can stream any new DVR recordings tO any or all five devices at the same time.  I can download any new DVR recording to any IPhone or iPad.  Once a recording has been downloaded to a device I can watch it offline.  At this point it is considered to be "checked out" and cannot be viewed on any other device or the TV until it is "checked in" via the app.  I have been waiting for quite a while for these new services to arrive in Memphis, and I have to say, they do work quite well.  Good job Comcast.  I believe the same services are available over on the Dark Side, in Android Land.

Most Valued Poster

I just wish they would fix all the bugs and give back useful features they took away from us. Sometimes I think they think we will forget the broken stuff when they give us new toys. Basics should be working before they add widgets and gizmos. Just my opinion. The things they took away were widgets and gizmos at first and then they became daily useful tools and then GONE.

Regular Contributor

Long, Long Ago in a Comcast Box gone far, far away
                                                                         The Users had the capability to do buffer recordings.
                                                                          The Evil Comcast lord Vader decided to remove the
                                                                           feature so his army of slave programmers wouldn't
                                                                            have to strain their minuscule brains figuring out
                                                                             how to keep it in the Cloud based reality that
                                                                              Lord Vader was foisting on the republic to
                                                                               gain complete control of the video
                                                                                universe.

Wanna Fix something ? Give us back the buffer !

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

universe.

Yeah! ...And frame-by-frame advance with a proper slo-mo feature!

Most Valued Poster

@rjc1247 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

universe.

Yes Yes and Yes...buffer, slo mo and frame by frame would keep the wolves at bay...or at least some of us and we speak for many

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

universe.

ON POINT AS ALWAYS AND SO STYLISH!

Regular Contributor

Can we please return the thread to information and discussion of updates and the X1 roadmap?

Any news regarding updates, features, and bug fixes coming in Sept?
Expert

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:
Can we please return the thread to information and discussion of updates and the X1 roadmap?

Any news regarding updates, features, and bug fixes coming in Sept?

Comcast will post that information when it becomes available.... and they are not always timely.

Silver Problem Solver

Updates are sometimes announced here before we see them in this board:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

universe.

Yes Yes and Yes...buffer, slo mo and frame by frame would keep the wolves at bay...or at least some of us and we speak for many

Yes and Yes!  I don't care about the cloud, it's only another way for them to nickle and dime us. I want a dvr that works as well as my panasonic dvr from 15 years ago that I can no longer use because comcast used their control of NBC news to get politicians to do what they want (encrypt all feeds).  Or my old VCRs for that matter.  If you take away basics for "new" stuff, you are still going backwards.

Expert

@snowrain wrote:
Yes and Yes!  I don't care about the cloud, it's only another way for them to nickle and dime us. I want a dvr that works as well as my panasonic dvr from 15 years ago that I can no longer use because comcast used their control of NBC news to get politicians to do what they want (encrypt all feeds).  Or my old VCRs for that matter.  If you take away basics for "new" stuff, you are still going backwards. 

Cloud pretty much does away with your DVR...you only use the DVR to interface with the cloud recorded content then.... pretty much unplug them and the Cloud will still record...

This is especially useful when you are recording late night content when your DVR decides to do its nightly update... no more interrupted sessions!!!

Most Valued Poster

Snowrain, I have no use for the cloud. The DVR before they messed with its valuable features was my best  friend but now not so much. Not having the recording buffer has made my family miserable.

You nailed it 100% with " If you take away basics for "new" stuff, you are still going backwards". We have lost so much and gained so little that is useful to the 'masses'. Those who have their head in the cloud ( perhaps someplace else too...lol) seem to be in the minority so far.

On that note I have never had an issue not getting complete recordings when there is an interruption  while updating w/o a cloud in the sky.

Regular Contributor

I agree! I love the X1 cloud Dvr for this and many other reasons. 

@geek46 wrote:

@snowrain wrote:

Cloud pretty much does away with your DVR...you only use the DVR to interface with the cloud recorded content then.... pretty much unplug them and the Cloud will still record...

This is especially useful when you are recording late night content when your DVR decides to do its nightly update... no more interrupted sessions!!!

Expert

XRE 1.56.02 dated 8/24/15 - don't see any obvious changes but the progress bar when you first start playing assets still has same problem. To clear (one time per watching an asset, hit pause and then play.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

XRE 1.56.02 dated 8/24/15 - don't see any obvious changes but the progress bar when you first start playing assets still has same problem. To clear (one time per watching an asset, hit pause and then play.

Did you really expect them to FIX something with an update? We are really getting sick and tired of the progress bar bug

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Did you really expect them to FIX something with an update? We are really getting sick and tired of the progress bar bug

it really is disheartening that they waited another 2 weeks for a version that still has that bug that they introduced. Seems like they could find and reverse last patch that caused that problem.

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

Just found this tidbit and may explain a few things:

The Play/Pause behavior that you described above is by design as we get ready to be able to offer the XR2 (v3) remote across all of our guide platforms later this year.

Pressing the DAY+ button will continue to bring up the on-screen timebar when playing back a DVR program or while watching live TV.

With the XR2 and our legacy devices, customers will be able to easily assign and set up some shortcuts for many functions (additional awareness will start now that the latest A31 update is completely rolled out and XR2 remotes become available on legacy devices) via the on-screen guide:

The update will enable Comcast customers to personalize the A, B, C or D keys on the XR2 remote to better meet their needs and usage of the guide with the new remote control.

Customers can override the default values of the A, B, C or D keys

Current defaults for the legacy guide (A31) using the XR2 remote: A is Help, B is Day+, C is Closed Captioning & D is DVS

Hmmmmm........

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Just found this tidbit and may explain a few things:

The Play/Pause behavior that you described above is by design as we get ready to be able to offer the XR2 (v3) remote across all of our guide platforms later this year.

Pressing the DAY+ button will continue to bring up the on-screen timebar when playing back a DVR program or while watching live TV.

With the XR2 and our legacy devices, customers will be able to easily assign and set up some shortcuts for many functions (additional awareness will start now that the latest A31 update is completely rolled out and XR2 remotes become available on legacy devices) via the on-screen guide:

The update will enable Comcast customers to personalize the A, B, C or D keys on the XR2 remote to better meet their needs and usage of the guide with the new remote control.

Customers can override the default values of the A, B, C or D keys

Current defaults for the legacy guide (A31) using the XR2 remote: A is Help, B is Day+, C is Closed Captioning & D is DVS

Hmmmmm........

OMG to the max. Sounds like we will have that darn progress bar sitting there mocking us until X2  is deployed and who knows when that will be...... They should rename the currect platform the  X1 Bug Workaround while we thump our fingers and wait. I have no problem with what they said about bringing up the progress bar with DAY+ button but why does it have to sit there after FF or RW NOW?

Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I agree! I love the X1 cloud Dvr for this and many other reasons. 

@geek46 wrote:

@snowrain wrote:

Why would any half decent DVR platform need nightly updates?