Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Valued Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I still remember that - I think X1 is pretty good LOL :-)

Xfinity_Guide_Wide.jpg

Most Valued Poster

srotti- how did you 'paste' that image into your post? I can paste an image but when I go to post it I get 'html' error . Driving me nuts. The images I am trying to paste are .jpg from my hard drive.

Valued Contributor

click on reply - you have this tool bar then and i used this icon Capture.JPG

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

I am reading this forum with Chrome.  I don't remember how I started getting the buttons to work in the replies, but I had that problem when I first started following the Comcast forums.

Maybe a pm to ComcastAndrew, or some other mod?

Beat you to it... <G>  I have Andrew's email address and he and I have been exchanging screenshots!!!   I also sent PM to ComcastNickM and he is forwarding it to the right peoples as well...

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@strotti wrote:

click on reply - you have this tool bar then and i used this icon

I don't have that button.... OR the Mountain button either  <SAD is an understatement at this point> ......

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

INTERESTING.... when I replied above, I quoted it...but LITHIUM stripped out the INVALID HTML which was the picture of the button ( capture.jpg)....

Hmmmm..... corrupt user account settings maybe...... mmmmH

-=Ray=-

Valued Contributor

giraffes-tongue-1366x768.jpg

Expert

That's just not right..... <  sigh>    : )

-=Ray=-

Expert

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I just wish I could change my avatar picture!

same here. god's of forum-comcast hate us

Regular Contributor

Hoo - Hah !

Boy, Old Alfred E. Neuman I used in my post sure is getting a work out.

I think it is not asking too much that the X1 programmers fix their product releases to be stable before they release the next batch of updates. This forum should serve as a platform for the developers to learn about the bugs their current releases have since it is driven by actual users from the Comcast community. The alternative is that the developers are releasing software that has KNOWN bugs.

Hmmmm .......

While I was proud of my Boy Scout merit badge sash, I don't think much of the current "Badges" display. The Comcast web site is already a minefield of ads and anyone who has tried to watch a video news clip knows about the incessant ads played between each video. I suppose the next thing will be to force us to watch a commercial before we can read each post.

No, No, No, Don't want to go there !

I don't know if it's the badges but the forum is loading super slowly. BUMMER !

Most Valued Poster

Comcast overall is great. Very stable, best internet speed,  amazing digital voice  and the DVR  being able to record 4 and watch one is a blessing to DVR addicts like us. 

I would never even consider a dish and my only other option here is Verizon FIOS and no thank you.

However I will echo the  huge issue that every time they upgrade they break something and  they need to keep their fingers off embedded features when making changes/upgrades.  Too much 'giveth and taketh away' going on. Too much fluff and not enough substance. We all know that getting back a broken or removed feature is akin to Beowulf's Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the hill only to watch it roll back over and over and over. I feel just like that with the recording buffer and the font option.

Regular Contributor

Hey Teri.

Any idea what some of the so called badges represent. I got 100 paper airplanes badge and I didn't even participate in our local paper airplane contest this last weekend. Maybe they are  like the badges Shelly Long came up with in "Troop Beverly Hills".

Heh ! Heh !

Thanks to the stupid badges taking up empty space this space for RENT.

Meanwhile,    POST NO BILLS !

Contributor

It is for having 100 replies.

Problem Solver

Just place your cursor over them and it will tell you.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Hey Teri.

Any idea what some of the so called badges represent. I got 100 paper airplanes badge and I didn't even participate in our local paper airplane contest this last weekend. Maybe they are  like the badges Shelly Long came up with in "Troop Beverly Hills".

Heh ! Heh !

Thanks to the stupid badges taking up empty space this space for RENT.

Meanwhile,    POST NO BILLS !

----

There goes that devious mind again..... I see your tongue in your cheek. Comcast is touting these badges as a FUN addition to the forums. Have we seen ONE person say anything nice about them? They take up too much room, slow the forum to a crawl and are just silly.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

If you are serious about what they mean...check your profile page...but I see your tongue in your cheek. Comcast is touting these badges as a FUN addition to the forums. Have we seen ONE person say anything nice about them? They take up too much room, slow the forum to a crawl and are just silly.

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Valued Poster

I am going to sign off and  open a bottle of wine and sit here until its 5 O'clock somewhere. Oh wait.....it already is...bottoms up!

Regular Contributor

I have considered switching several times. My neighbors on both the right and left have gone to Fios from Comcast and both are happy = good picture, fast download, AND fast upload speeds (would love a faster upload speed), and many HD channels from HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz instead of one each.

The X1 platform has such great potential, I just wish they would stop trying to fix what's not broken and work on problems many, if not most, of which are brought up in these forums.  

I stay because Verizon is very difficult to deal with and i have several good points of contact with Comcast. Continual upward price creep isn't helping either.

I hope Comcast gets its stuff together before my frustration level gets to a point that I feel Comcast isn't as interested in keeping my business as Verizon is in acquiring it.

Gold Problem Solver

I think this thread has been overtaken by the Wolfie influence...

Expert

it dawned on me today why comcast does not want favorites to be permanent.

Once it was permanent customers would soon notice they only watch 15-20 channels max and wonder why they are paying for hundreds they don't watch. I want my unbundled 15 channels or so.

Regular Contributor

Yes, Teri it was a tongue in cheek comment. I was hoping someone at Comcast might get the hint but I'm afraid hitting them euphemistically over the head with a sledge hammer only elicits a big fat DUH !

If they want to make something bigger my first choice would be to enlarge the size of the Avatar picture. It's too small to allow real self expression.

The forum has been slowed to a crawl by the dumb badges. Another untested ? not well though out modification that was rammed down our throats without asking the forum users if they wanted or needed it. The whole Comcast developement process exists in some sort of Vacuum, where the users wants and needs are excluded.

The forum has an event horizion that doesn't allow users suggestions to escape to the Comcast programmers outside.

The badges are really stupid. Teri gets a happy Valentines Day badge ? Hey, dumbos, Valentines day was back in February not June !

Posters who have been on the forum for ages get a welcome to the forum badge ? DUH !

Most Valued Poster

My system did a restart around 2:30PM yesterday and I thought maybe 1.54 was being pushed but alas twas not to be. Hoping it will download this weekend.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Yes, Teri it was a tongue in cheek comment. I was hoping someone at Comcast might get the hint but I'm afraid hitting them euphemistically over the head with a sledge hammer only elicits a big fat DUH !

If they want to make something bigger my first choice would be to enlarge the size of the Avatar picture. It's too small to allow real self expression.

The forum has been slowed to a crawl by the dumb badges. Another untested ? not well though out modification that was rammed down our throats without asking the forum users if they wanted or needed it. The whole Comcast developement process exists in some sort of Vacuum, where the users wants and needs are excluded.

The forum has an event horizion that doesn't allow users suggestions to escape to the Comcast programmers outside.

The badges are really stupid. Teri gets a happy Valentines Day badge ? Hey, dumbos, Valentines day was back in February not June !

Posters who have been on the forum for ages get a welcome to the forum badge ? DUH !

Love the event horizon reference! I quake with fear to imagine what kind of larger avatar you would publish for 'self expression'....lol

Regular Contributor

I thought these forums were supposed to be mutually beneficial and i think they started out that way. Lately i'm having a hard time determining if they serve any purpose aside from letting us blow off a little steam and giving Comcast an opportunity to say "see, we care!"

I also wonder what percentage of their customers are aware of these forums.  I don't see them heavily promoted anywhere.

Regular Contributor

@chuclkw wrote:

I thought these forums were supposed to be mutually beneficial and i think they started out that way. Lately i'm having a hard time determining if they serve any purpose aside from letting us blow off a little steam and giving Comcast an opportunity to say "see, we care!"

I also wonder what percentage of their customers are aware of these forums.  I don't see them heavily promoted anywhere.

Blowing off steam is better than shooting your X1 box with a shotgun. Since we have no input to the programming behind X1, that we can determine,  we mostly post about problems we see or work arounds we find. With no ability to see or modify the code behind X1 that's about all we can do.

We all hope someone notices and implements our concerns. We still keep trying. In some other areas of the forum like Internet routers, some genuinely skilled people help with connection problems. Ditto General computer help.  X1 is a product we use but the code behind it is strictly Comcast's purview. So far, it seems to be add one fluff aspect while removing or breaking one feature everyone likes. Not the situation we users would like to see.

Regular Contributor

Newton3.gif

Gold Problem Solver

You have a point Wolfie as you usually do... You have been on a roll lately BJ....

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Newton3.gif

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I am LOVING you right now

BTW....I used 'quote' to reply to your post and it would not let me use your graphic in my reply....that darn html error message like I get when I try to post an image. JEEEEEZZZZZ

Gold Problem Solver

I have a thought for all my pals and buddies on the X1 forum. Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason Comcast is insisting on the X1 guide being cloud based is it gives them the ability to track (and therefore sell) everything we do when watching TV?

About a year ago I was shocked to learn the most web sites keep track of everything we type, even things we clear and delete.

Make no mistakes boys and girls, Comcast is tracking and SELLING everything we do on X1.

To make things worse, who out there has a TV set with a WebCam built in??? Have you covered the WebCam with black tape yet???

Just sayin... Time to think big picture here...!!!

Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

I have a thought for all my pals and buddies on the X1 forum. Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason Comcast is insisting on the X1 guide being cloud based is it gives them the ability to track (and therefore sell) everything we do when watching TV?

About a year ago I was shocked to learn the most web sites keep track of everything we type, even things we delete.

Make no mistakes boys and girls, Comcast is tracking and SELLING everything we do on X1.

To make things worse, who out there has a TV set with a WebCam built in??? Have you covered the WebCam with black tape yet???

Now you've done it....   <VERY BIG GRIN!!!!>

-=Ray=-

Silver Problem Solver

Got an email today about the XR11.  It can now speak back.

"

Find shows and channels by saying things like:
"NBC" "When's the next Phillies game?"
"More shows like Chicago Fire" or, our favorite, "Minions!"
Get recommendations by asking:
"What's on tonight at eight o'clock?" "What's trending?"
or "What should I watch?"
Even control your DVR with commands like:
"Rewind" "Pause" or "Record Game of Thrones"
Or just have some fun!
Now when you speak "Minionese" into your voice remote, Stuart,
Kevin and Bob will talk back! Say "Booyah!" or "Banana!"
and see what happens."

I tried it and it works with the latest firmware.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

"

Or just have some fun!
and see what happens."

Can you tell it to "fill in all the black spaces in my Guide" or "record my buffer" or "remove the blackout and progress bar from the bottom of my screen immediately", or "advance frame by frame"?

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

"

Or just have some fun!
and see what happens."

I got that email too and all I could think of was here comes MORE FLUFF.  Who in the heck gives a hoot about Minions talking back except children. I think X1 is becoming all about kids  getting play toys while we adults lose our favorite features. What age are these Comcast designers?????? Give me a break please.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:
@RobertWy wrote:

"

Or just have some fun!
and see what happens."

Can you tell it to "fill in all the black spaces in my Guide" or "record my buffer" or "remove the blackout and progress bar from the bottom of my screen immediately", or "advance frame by frame"?

I'm with you tctc. What they have talking back is about as useful to the average user as ' xixs on a boar'...can't use the real word.  They keep piling on the 'gee whiz' and I say 'who cares'. Hows about some substance for a change.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

About a year ago I was shocked to learn the most web sites keep track of everything we type, even things we clear and delete.

With every cloud comes a thunderstorm eventually

Problem Solver

Gee, the way you guys are talking you would think the discussion is about a life support system, not a silly DVR... Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Hah, if it was about a "state of the art" dvr and cable platform, as advertised, we wouldn't be discussing it all...
@scjohnson312 wrote:

Gee, the way you guys are talking you would think the discussion is about a life support system, not a silly DVR... Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

I am serious about this.

The only reason Comcast would insist on a cloud based guide is tracking information. Obviously they have the bandwidth to support a cloud based guide (at this point) so network capacity is not the issue.

My point here is simple. We are going to need to accept the limitations of a cloud based guide:

1. Limited features and adjustability of "preferences".
2. Extremely limited abilities to adjust the guide (including guide fonts).
3. Limited ability to adapt to 3rd party hardware such as audio systems and external hard drives.
4. Comcast refuses to make any changes that might threaten latency.

The more I think about it, the more I see X1 for what it is. It is a watered down product that was designed to serve the mass public. But little to no attention was paid to the audio video "enthusiast". Maybe someday Comcast will invest the resources needed to make X1 a product that might appeal to "critical users" but that day seems to be a very long way in the future, if ever.

Silver Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

I am serious about this.

The only reason Comcast would insist on a cloud based guide is tracking information. Obviously they have the bandwidth to support a cloud based guide (at this point) so network capacity is not the issue.

My point here is simple. We are going to need to accept the limitations of a cloud based guide:

3. Limited ability to adapt to 3rd party hardware such as audio systems and external hard drives.

The more I think about it, the more I see X1 for what it is. It is a watered down product that was designed to serve the mass public. But little to no attention was paid to the audio video "enthusiast". Maybe someday Comcast will invest the resources needed to make X1 a product that might appeal to "critical users" but that day seems to be a very long way in the future, if ever.

Rick,

The way you describe X1 makes me wonder if TiVo isn't a better alternative.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Robert I constantly think the same thing but my significant other has become comfortable with X1.

I would guess at this moment TiVo is currently two, possibly three generations ahead of Comcast in DVR technology and implementation.

Which means I have another battle to fight...LOL

@RobertWy wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

I am serious about this.

Rick,

The way you describe X1 makes me wonder if TiVo isn't a better alternative.

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

I am serious about this.

The only reason Comcast would insist on a cloud based guide is tracking information.

They could do this easily even without a cloud based GUI.

Putting the software on the cloud has many many MANY benefits and I for one am very happy they took this route. Not only does it allow faster software deployment but it allows them to write one piece of software for the GUI that works on every STB.

Heck, the people still using i-Guide and DCX-3400 DVRs are just now receiving a bugfix update, and that DVR came out before X1....

Expert

@scjohnson312 wrote:

To some people, their tv and dvr ARE their life support system.... imagine being disabled and unable to enjoy the things you and I do in our everyday life...   The cable system is the only real connection to a normal existence.

I have been there and done that.... fortunately I was able to overcome my disabilities and resume an active lifestyle but not all can.

-=RAY=-

Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

I am serious about this.

I might add... if anyone thinks that Comcast is NOT tracking and selling your viewing habits, you are sadly mistaken.... look at Google, look at Amazon, look at Apple.... they ALL do some form or flavor of this and it does generate revenue back to them either by direct selling of that information or culling it for thier own use....  

<"Stepping off platform now">

-=Ray=-

Expert

Got 1.54.03 dated 6/22/15

settings>my account gives only the familiar darkened tint over the live picture, no menu etc shown. "Last" button has no effect. Hitting "Exit" returns you to main menu.

left menu "my Account" gives same darkened cover over current image with no menu.

'down arrow' gives you the new previously described menu and circular screen indicators like round circle "CC off". However select CC when off gives no indication at all of "CC ON". does turn on but not until the 'menu' fades away after 5-10 seconds.

I see no difference in guide that others have reported. "info" button presented information unchanged too.

firmware: 2.02p4s1

Contributor

Will 1.54 show up automatically in the nightly updates or do I need to do something to force the update? Looking forward to the CC improvement.

Silver Problem Solver

Updates get rolled out over the markets at an as yet undetermined schedule by the participants in  this forum.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes receive two different types of updates (that we are aware of). Guide updates (which we are discussing here) occur whenever the servers get the update but there is nothing we can do to prompt or force the updates. They happen when they happen.

STB (firmware) updates are different. If there happens to be an update out there residing on servers, unplugging and rebooting the X1 will usually initiate a STB update.

@larla wrote:

Will 1.54 show up automatically in the nightly updates or do I need to do something to force the update? Looking forward to the CC improvement.

Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:

Speak for yourself. I am retired and home most of the time happily but due to major medical for my husband a few years ago we are cash poor so our source of entertainment is X1 and the DVR. I would rather be shopping and traveling but not happening.  Last Sept both my knees decided to get hosed up so I have not been very mobile even with gel injection treatment trying to avoid replacement as I am not bone on bone yet. My husband goes to work at o'dark:30 so goes to bed early so I record everything past 9PM so we can watch on weekends. You have no idea how much people like us rely on the DVR and could care less about the blasted cloud.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

Got 1.54.03 dated 6/22/15

settings>my account gives only the familiar darkened tint over the live picture, no menu etc shown. "Last" button has no effect. Hitting "Exit" returns you to main menu.

left menu "my Account" gives same darkened cover over current image with no menu.

'down arrow' gives you the new previously described menu and circular screen indicators like round circle "CC off". However select CC when off gives no indication at all of "CC ON". does turn on but not until the 'menu' fades away after 5-10 seconds.

I see no difference in guide that others have reported. "info" button presented information unchanged too.

firmware: 2.02p4s1

I got the update overnight and everything you said is true. Jeez...they can't even manage to show text in the 'help' boxes so that you know what the heck you are looking for.....all blank gray boxes until you "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe"  and open it.  I was so hoping for the slight font change some have reported but same ole same here. Smiley Sad

Expert

@TerriB wrote:
Speak for yourself. I am retired and home most of the time happily but due to major medical for my husband a few years ago we are cash poor so our source of entertainment is X1 and the DVR. I would rather be shopping and traveling but not happening.  Last Sept both my knees decided to get hosed up so I have not been very mobile even with gel injection treatment trying to avoid replacement as I am not bone on bone yet. My husband goes to work at o'dark:30 so goes to bed early so I record everything past 9PM so we can watch on weekends. You have no idea how much people like us rely on the DVR and could care less about the blasted cloud.
You GO TerriB !!!!!!

-=Ray=-